Author Topic: About the 'Response to the claim god is imaginary'...  (Read 757 times)

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
About the 'Response to the claim god is imaginary'...
« on: April 09, 2012, 12:53:52 AM »
(From a previous post)

I was absolutely furious when I saw this post on google.  Here are my retorts, even from a religious perspective..

I am posting this in responce to the individual who claims "God is Imaginary".

Proof # 1-Try Praying

God would look into your heart and see if you're indeed seriously or you're simply doing it out of mockery. If out of mockery he'll simply ignore you. For God is a vengeful God and will not help those he seek him in heart and soul.

False.  I believe in the Father, not Jesus.  I cast Jesus out because of unrightousness.  You saying that God is vengeful is a contradiction to my all-knowing beliefs in righteousness.  God is only good.  Therefore, like me, He realizes that vengence is for the weak.  I would simply give you what you lack.  I don't care if you believe in me fully or not.  It is not required of you to acknowledge me to do something good for you.  I never sought acknowledgement for my actions to save all of your asses in the past, only to see you piss it away.. 

The only way to bring about peace is through understanding.  (Einstein)  The only way evil wins is by the inaction of good people (don't remember who)

So, you just proved right there God exists for he's not listening to your mockery.

False.  Listen to what the guy was saying.  Multiple studies have been done on this.  Priests were asked to pray for people in multiple circumstances.  None of it worked.  That simple.  Don't mock our intelligence.  The next time you pray, I'll tell you it won't work because I am mocking you.

Proof #2-Statistically analyze prayer
The only thing that creates illusions is objects manifested into trickery(Majicians do this quite well.)

I don't beleive in praying that, when it's answered, it's an illusion. That's just ignorance and blaspheming the holy spirit which I refuse to do!

My God, you can't think for yourself, and you just ignored and denied perfectly stable logical reasoning and scientific evidence, likened yourself to Muslims by indicating 'blasphemer', and indicated that you are delusional to believe in something that doesn't exist.  I bet you believe that I'm possessed by demons or something.  How else could I survive?  It must be 'magic'.  How about this statement - I don't believe, that when you pray, and it's not answered, that it's not an illusion.  It simply doesn't exist.  Once I prayed for all people with illness to be treated in a single night - I honestly believed it would happen.  I woke up the next morning, and nope - Jesus didn't seem to care if people suffer.  Let me tell you this - Jesus really did say that your prayers would be answered, and the fact that they are not means he is a goner.  Maybe he's gone to heaven and forgotten all about this place since he had such a hard life?

Proof #3 - Look at historical gods

I don't need to. There's only One God and that's the Almighty. Bible states it if you're going according to the bible.

No, you do need to.  The bible is based largely on Pegan religion.  Therefore, to understand your current view of God, you need to understand Pegans.  Jesus' birthday is on the 25th of december, an important pegan date.  Many other things are borrowed from Pegan religion, like the birth from a virgin (magically), the light that guided the 3 wise men, the giving of frankesense, murr, and gold.  I could go on and on.. The simple fact is, your religion is from about 2,000 years ago, and you haven't changed it a bit.  I'll tell you why: it's because they forced it not to change.  They said it would be the end of the earth if people stopped believing in it (grains of sand yet?), that it would happen at the fall of 'the church' (which one?), and everyone trying to explain Revelation has been dead wrong.  I tell you what - you would tell me to believe in Satan.  I would then say to you - I don't need to.  I already know that Satan is imaginary...  The only Satan living in existence today is in your own head.  But, you can't ignore science.  This universe is going to rip itself apart inside-out like a helix, and then come about again like it's turning itself rightside-out.  That's the cycle of the big bang that us physics people are starting to understand.  Time is an illusion, but you can only go forward in time, not backwards.  In that sense, it's not worth our time to try and travel through time, because it doesn't serve an actual purpose - even if you went to the future there's no way to go back and tell about it. 

You need to understand historical gods to know how this one in the bible came into being.   it just states that God as you know Him is based on magical tales.  Let me explain:

In the old days, people were wanting their dead to be in a better place.  That's how the notion of a 'heaven' came into being.  Also, they wanted to control people.  That's how the notion of 'hell' came into being.  Now, we're at 0BC, and we want to again spark a religious revolution.  But to make it acceptable at the time, we need to popularize it according to our 'old Gods', so it gets widely accepted.  Now, we want control, so God is then the Judger, who will route people based on His extent of knowledge who is deserving of a place where you get to at least live in peace, or a place where you will suffer endlessly terrible things that you can't yet imagine.   I know a similar God who did something like this - it was the ancient Greek God. 

Proof #4 - Think about science

Sciene was invented by man just as God invented science. No need to discuss this further.

Here you say God invented science.  I bet God also invented stupidity for the same purpose of this argument...  Oh - let's also say that since Satan and evil were created by man, that God invented those things as well.  Let's also assume that God invented torture.  Let's assume that God invented war as well, and endless torture devices used in the middle ages. 

Proof #5 - Read the Bible

I'm in the process of reading(still in old testament) and I got to say, although it might sound wrong to stone people, you need to understand God needed to embed fear so that we wouldn't sin. In order to do that, people needed to get stoned so that people would know he was serious so that they don't do it. Besides, God already answered the prayer of no more stoning by sending Jesus in to wash away our sins.

Obviously you are no where near reading as much of the Bible as I have.  God didn't stop stoning by sending Jesus to 'wash away our sins.'  What religion agreed upon was that Jesus was the sacrificial 'lamb of God', and that his death was like a 'burnt offering'.  That's why he says his blood is shed for you so that all sin may be forgiven.  However, no, you don't need fear to control people.  That's the ancient way of control.  The only way to promote peace is through a common understanding.  A person who is smart knows that people need good things in life in order to get along ok.  That means people need to be good to other people.  I fully understand that, as much as I've been through.  Had people been good to me, this world would have been miraculous.  But, I made the mistake of trusting people, and well, there you have it.  Maybe I should have invoked fear in all of you through my own brilliance and strength.  Maybe I should have gained magnificent magical powers to drive you into such fear that you shudder when I walk and speak.  Is this the way you envision your God?  Because if I were God, whoever would throw a rock at someone for sinning clearly doesn't recognize their own sins, which means I need to bind your hands before you hurt or kill someone until you learn to internalize your eyes.  In other words, Jesus was at that moment correct in saying 'whoseover has not yet sinned today may cast the first stone.'  And nobody threw one.  However, Jesus also said he 'came to bring war, bloodshed, and fire and death [when people thought he came to save them]'.  That doesn't sound like the same Jesus.  It's for reasons like that which make him unrighteous.  He would have to be a better person than me, and I don't want you all fighting wars, dying, or being tortured.  Jesus intended all of those things.  You don't know your scriptures..

Proof #6 - Ponder God's Plan

I don't like to ponder God's plan, for that is questionig

I don't like to ponder idiots, because that is questioning...  you are brain-dead.  I question things all the time.  It's called studying.  If we never questioned that the earth was flat, we never would be where we are today in science. 

Just because the Mormons and Muslims belive in "fairty tales" doesn't mean the christians and Jewish are wrong. Your criticizing two races and putting faults on others like if it's ours. Some people do create stories, that's why I only belive Christ and revelation, anything beyond revelation(Not in the bible) is not cause for recognition unless I see a miracle and acknowldge the work of the holy spirit.

Let me tell you this:  I am right at this moment doing the will of the Holy Spirit.  Just as you would describe it.  I am herding lost sheep, if you will.  Yes, the fact that you believe in fairy tales makes you just like mormons and muslims.  Revelation is just such a fairy tale.  Everybody thinks they understand it, and yet, it's never real...  You want to turn your head off when we tell you about facts and logical reasoning.  I too once believed only in Christ, because at the time he was the only one here in history worth believing in.  But, he proved me wrong....

The way to translate Jesus' sayings is simply by looking at it from his own perspective - doing what is good.  But there are many things he says out of anger that prove he was just a man, wanting a better tomorrow.  This used to be called a prophet.  Now it's called a visionary.  Jesus was a visionary, nothing more. 

Proof #8 - Think about Near Death Experiences

You're calling my parents a liar?

No.  A near death experience has been scientifically verified to only be caused by lack of oxygen to the brain.  It can be replicated by giving you a certain drug, actually.  I wouldn't want to experience it, but it may be a pleasant thing to go through while you're dying. 

If you tell me I'm lying you can continue to be ignorant. For you just want people to think you're right and that's Satan talking! Did you ever stop to think you could be one of the apostles of Satan and that's why you say this. Hell, you could be the Anti-christ trying to make people beleive you to take us down but you're too ignorant to realize it.

Now, I felt sorry for you for your troubles.  But, there are many people who's parents don't come back.  And that's a real tragedy.  However, you calling these people Satan and the anti-christ is even more troubling.  It absolutely infuriates me when I see people referring to other people as demons, satan, false prophet, or anti-christ.  They are just people.  You can call them all you want, but you're being delusional that any one you see is such.  These people aren't trying to 'take you down'.  They are trying to make you "wake up"!!!!  They are trying to open your eyes to the facts, not what you are being spoon-fed.  I see all the time on tv people talking about how this is the end of time and you have to protect yourselves against satan and evil.  What bullshit.  The only thing you need to be worried about are asteroids and global warming.  And economic collapse.  Hell, you could be one of those idiots pointing your fingers at other people claiming that they are Satan when they are actually good people, or claiming that they are Satan because they are good people and you need to 'kill off the ones that come to you in sheep-skin clothing'.  What brain-washing crap. 

Proof #9 - Understand ambiguity

If someone had an uncurable cancer and was miracously cured, and science had no say on how it was possible, it'sd cause it's God...Next proof.

No, it's probably due to a genetic mutation or some other random chemistry that we just haven't been able to recognize yet.  The fact is, very, very few people who have cancer survive it without known methods.  But, better methods are coming about, we're recognizing more and more causes, and finding better treatments.  We're also analyzing data from dna to tell us better prediction models and treatment outcomes of cancers.

Proof #10 - Watch the offering plate

In the bible, God states to make offerings when you go to church. The church needs money to stay open and feed the poor. You say how can God not answer prayters and do it himself is cause he uses people to do it for him. For if he came down we'd all discinegrate. Our mortal bodies can't stand his presence that's why we have a soul. We got one the minute Adam and Eve ate the apple.

Wha???????  Adam and Eve were cast out from Eden eating the apple, not given a soul.  Jesus said he would baptise you in the holy spirit - and that becomes your soul...

I remember now, the church needs lots and lots of money.  The Lord demands that you give tons of money to the church.  Provided, they may use it to do good things for the community, but if you know your churche's finances, they have more money than they are ever going to need.  Gold bars, in fact.  Now, why would churches need so much bloody money?  Oh, for power.  We all know the people in power are the rich ones...  Plus, there's plenty of Christian ministers who became absolutely rich by demanding money.  Trust me, these people aren't hurting on cash while you are....

Proof #11 - Notice that there is no scientific evidence

Um, there is  you've just haven't found it yet. Remember, seek me and you shall find? Obviously, you don't really want to seek him.

It doesn't say 'seek me..' it says 'seek and you will find.  For if you are righteous there is nothing hidden in heaven that will not be revealed to you'...
I sought.  I found what I needed.  Does that make it scientific evidence?  No.  It just means I used my brain to think about answers to problems I was trying to solve.  Jesus didn't hand me my answers to things.  Neither did Satan.  I found them through depth of thought.  My own thought. 

Here's scientific evidence.  Why didn't Jesus tell us about dinosaurs?  Why didn't he tell us about computers?  Because he didn't know at the time.  Nobody did.  We found these things on our own during the last 2,000 years.  That's enough evidence for me.

Proof #12 - See the magic

Magic is a term created by people.

Magic: visual effects to bring an illusion of something that did not actually occur.  Walking on water, turning one loaf of bread into 500, being in the belly of a whale for three days, stopping the wind, turning water into wine so everyone could 'party', making a blind kid see by rubbing mud into his eyes, etc.  Doesn't this sound like magic?  Because, it is...

« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:37:11 AM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
Re: About the 'Response to the claim god is imaginary'...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2012, 12:56:34 AM »
Proof #13 - Take a look at slavery

You didn't live in those times to justify your irrational statement.

Just like you aren't living in your own time.  Go back to your own time!  This is not an irrational statement.  God is saying in the Torah (the old testament) that slavery is good.  People back then thought so.  Now, we condemn it.  OMG!  We're going against the will of God by abolishing slavery... Quick!  Make us your slaves.. 

Let me offer you just this:  the Bible was written solely for its time.  2,000 years ago.  It no longer holds water today, especially with all the scientific evidence that disqualifies a lot of the Torah, and also parts of the gospels.  The gospels were even written as stories were being passed around to different areas at the time.  The first to write one was the gospel of luke.  It was the most accurate account of Jesus.  But not actually written by a guy named luke.  Just a story.  And the story had an ending, which the author created, which is why we have the telling of the future events just before Jesus died.  And, to add insult to injury, Revelation has been scientifically disproven now due to people interpreting it and being wrong.  It's fortune-telling.  You can apply revelation to anything, and it will seem correct.  It's a gross example of this.

Proof #14 - Examine Jesus' miracles

Ever hear of the Shroud of Turin? That was left by jesus.

Yes - it's a cloth that claims to be the same one that was placed over Jesus when he died.  The dead sea scrolls being found are also supposed to be a miracle.  However, finding lost artifacts that prove someone died or finding lost scrolls doesn't mean it's a miracle of Jesus.  It just means it was preserved enough to find it.   But, saying that Jesus left behind his head-wrap is totally bogus.  His remains decayed separately from the cloth, and the cloth is the only remnant of his death (supposedly).  That's like saying 'see - jeremy0 left behind his coffin for all of us to see..' it's a miracle.

Proof #15 - Examine Jesus' resurrection

Jesus is not to appear again until the time of Armageddon. It says so in revelation. Why would you want him to come? I don't want to live through that hellish time if I'm left to stay behind and be tested on my faith.

What crazy book are you reading?  Because in the dead sea scrolls, he certainly did supposedly appear again.  You should stop reading revelation, seriously.  That book makes no real sense.  None of you are going to understand it.  There will be no armagheddon. 

You will never see a time other than during your own life where your 'faith is tested'.  There won't be a hellish time full of demons and Satan on this earth.  It's completely imaginary.  The worst we might get is a fiery death due to global warming or a large asteroid impacting the earth.  But at least it should go fast.  Why are you all so concerned about things that came from 0BC and not so concerned about things that exist scientifically today?

Again, these guys are controlling you on fear.  You don't need to be afraid of the end of time.  It's not going to happen unless the earth gets severely damaged.  The only thing we need to worry about is taking care of our habitat.  Be realistic.

Proof #16 - Contemplate the contradictions

God can tell someone to kill someone for the greater kill. If a murderer killed your daughter and could kill again, would you not kill hi to put him to justice so that he may burn in hell for eternity as the Lord promises for the wicked?

What the hell are you saying now?  For 'the greater kill'.  Didn't you read the ten commandments telling you not to kill under any circumstance?  Didn't you hear Jesus say to do unto others as you would have done to yourselves?  That was his 11th commandment.  The golden rule.

Some people have a change of heart after someone gets killed.  What about those people? 

And is it really justice that you would say this person also deserves, since he killed once, to be killed 100000000000000000000000000..... .... times over and over again in every way of dying possible?  All the time?  You would seriously feel comfortable with a 'promise' like that?  Who the hell deserves such a punishment?  Obviously you've never been through much in life, or else you wouldn't have said that..

Proof #17 - Think about Leprechauns

There is proof God exists you just don't seek. Stop repeating yourself you're starting to sound like someone who has no other defense other than to repeat.

The reason he repeats this is because it's logical.  Believing in leprechauns is exactly the same as believing in any God.  You have never witnessed either for yourself.  Yet, you think that it exists.  We have physics so we can understand things that we can't actually go to and study.  And we're getting damn good at it.  But, at least we know for a fact that the things we have studied exists.  This is why he says this.  Because Santa and God are two things you have never witnessed, yet you believe in either one at some point in your life because you are told that it is true..

Proof #19 - Notice that you ignore Jesus
I don't.

Jesus means to be good to others. If they need help help them. He doesn't expect you to be perfect.

For inatnce, if I had 30 millions dollars in my back account. I'd give away 20 and only keeep ten. That's what Jesus means. Don't be greedy.

Wrong again.  Jesus was furious over riches.  Ten million is quite a sum.  Yeah, I can keep onto that knowing that I could have started a business with it and helped out hundreds of people to live better lives.  Jesus told a rich man who said he had no sin to give all he had to the poor.  That meant everything.  That's what's not greedy.  The fact is, we need the money we need to survive.  But, at least you are saying that you'll give away 2/3 of it..  That's the equivalent of Bill Gates giving away 2/3 of his 50bln dollars, so I won't argue with you there..

Proof #20 - Notice your church
I don't. I pay attention to my faith. For some abuse the power of The Lord.

How do you go about abusing the power of the Lord?  Do I somehow wield his strength for him and bend it to my own will when he's not looking?

Yes, notice your church.  Notice how damn rich they are.  Look at all the huge structures and expensive stuff.  Jesus said 'you won't find me in a church.  The kingdom of heaven is inside you and all around you.  Lift a stone, and you will find me.  split a wood, and you will find me there.'  In this, he is saying that you will find spirituality anywhere you look.  He said, you came from him, everything proceeded and goes back to him.  In that, he meant that everything is the kingdom - his kingdom.  Why do I need a church to remember the sabbath?  Why do I need to pay people to tell me about the Bible when I can read books myself?

Proof #21 - Understand Jesus' Core Message

Would you give the light of day to someone who doesn't love you.....no, no, and NO!!!!

You have to worship for that's how we are able to show God we love him.

I worship God in my own ways.  And no, I don't require you to love me in order for me to show you the 'light of day'.  I would give it to you anyway, even though you would probably kick me for it.  Worshipping God doesn't show that you love Him.  Loving Him shows that you love Him.  Being terrified of Him shows that you are terrified...

Proof #22 - Count all the people God wants to murder

He's getting rid of the evil.

If your only answer to rid yourselves of evil is to kill, you are sorely again, mistaken.  Let's test this theory.  I hate fags.  (Not really, sorry for using you guys as a point).  So, let's get rid of evil by sending all the faggots to an island and then bombing the island with a nuke.  That'll get rid of everyone I hate. 

Ok, not really, because more homosexuals will be born later.  Just like any other type of human will come about to be again.  The island trick is a farce.  It doesn't actually get rid of anything.  it just temporarily gives you satisfaction.  I would say that is your problem.  That it gives you satisfaction knowing the people you are afraid of are dying.  Maybe you'll get the satisfaction in heaven when you are living in peace knowing that I'm suffering untold deaths at every waking hour of the day?  Maybe you can live in peace and satisfaction knowing that. 

Killing is not the only answer to evil.  But who am I to say that?  I'm just an advanced form of bacteria..

Proof #23 - Listen to the Doxology

One obvious question to ask after reading the church's statement is this: If all blessings "flow from God, then why are his blessings so amazingly unbalanced? Why are tens of thousands of children dying of starvation every day on this planet [ref], while Colonial Baptist Church is blessed with such wealth?"

Maybe God wants you to bitch about so you can do something because obviously the pople God wanted to do that turned their backs.

Sure, I'm sure that all the starving children over in Africa just decided hey, let's turn our backs on God.  Well, they actually believe in a different God, but why not the Bhuddists?  Maybe they had such a different religion that they were punished by God?  What ridiculousness. 

Maybe you just can't face the truth and realize that you're own pastor is a rich man, wealthy enough to stave off any economic disaster, while you yourself are poor and diluted by it. 

Proof #24 - Ask why religion causes so many problems

Simply because everyone wants to be right. Grant it, I want Jesus to come so I can stick it to the Jews but I know it's wrong so I respect peopels faith and we they try to say and impose shit on me of theirs the holy spirit within me gets hurt and I defend.

Sure, I just want to 'stick it to the Jews'.  Let me say this - if you are hurt by people imposing shit on you, why not be mad at your pastor?  He's imposing more shit on you than anyone else..

Proof #25 - Understand evolution and abiogenesis

Explain me this. Tell me why all humans who are vegitatrians don't turn back into apes after generations of them? Because it's BS. You want evolution....

What created the sun? It wasn't just there? and if an explosion happen, where the fuck did all the organisms come free. Doesn't scince say extreme heat in the sun kill ALL ORGANIMS CAUSE NOTHING CAN SURVIVE IT?!!!!!!

You can't go back in time.  Therefore, you can't reverse evolution.  You are never going to see a man turn back into an ape.  It's just no longer in the dna sequence.  The dna sequence is supposed to advance. 

The sun was created because that was the chemistry that was left behind while our galaxy was forming.  There are many, many suns in our galaxy.  They happen to form at the center of solar systems.  A planet that is akin to the sun in our solar system (same chemical makeup) is Saturn.  It is a magnificent planet.  It allows life on earth to evolve, due to being the protector against most asteroids.  we're actually hoping that it picks up the asteroid that's supposed to smack us in 2039.  Organisms exist because the conditions just happen to be right.  It's a million-year collision of chemistry that eventually formed an isotopic miracle - bacteria.  Bacteria was able to reproduce.  Then, all live became more and more advanced as dna sequences modified and became useful enough to survive in its environment due to adaptation. 

Proof #26 - Notice that the Bible's author is not "all-knowing"

Because you have to go look in the archives of the Vatican for me detail.

I'll give you something in the archives of the Vatican.  The writings of the end of time by Nostrodamus.  he predicted we would have a choice.  i believe we have made that choice already.  he referred to one male making the decision.  He was in fact, reading the stars.  But, even that was a bunch of mumbo-jumbo, because it was still fortune-telling, and anything that can be applied to it gets applied to it, and it's 'amazing'.  He thought it important enough at the time to give his 'knowledge' to the Vatican, and they kept it in their archives for a long time. 

If the Bible's author was 'all-knowing', then they could have not hidden from you all the things you would ever want to know.  It would have told us all about dinosaurs, other planets, black holes, heck - why should we have had to do research on all this stuff if the Bible could have told us?  it would have saved us tons of work..

Proof #27 - Think about life after death

I do and it's scary. I'm afriad of burning in hell for all eternity.

Yes!!! You have just told the entire story.  You are afraid to leave your religion because they told you that you would burn in hell forever.  You're scared of dying.  This is, in fact, the #1 barrier to Christianity.  You're afraid.  They have enacted absolute control over you because of this.  You will never leave them because of your fear.  Let me be your strength.  Let me guide you out of the darkness.  All you need to do is be a good person.  Can't you see that nobody is damned?  Jesus made it quite clear.  I'll make it clearer.  None of you, will ever be damned.  Not a single one.  I can promise you that.

Proof #28 - Notice how many gods you reject

There's only one. As you said before, he has different names but he's one in the same.

Then why don't you believe in the Jewish God?  Or the Muslim God?  if they are all the same, then you must be a Christian, Jew, Muslim, Mormon, Bhuddist, Hindu, Greek, Pegan, and Ying-yang..  They are all the same God - you need to get to reading some books....

Proof #29 - Think about Communion

It's just a symblosim not to be taken literal. Jesus means in heart and soul.

Oh yes, communion can be taken literal.  Here's what Jesus said:
'Here is my body.  It has been given up for you, so that sins may be forgiven.  do this in memory of me.'
'This is my blood.  It was shed for you and for all so that sins may be forgiven.  do this in memory of me.'

But, here's what he also says:
'Not one of you among you is righteous.  No, not a single one.'
'The unrighteous are drunk off of the blood of the righteous man.'  He related those to demons
Jesus was said to be righteous in every way.  He only did what was good.

Now, why would Jesus have you perform a ritual, proving to yourself that he thought of you as a damned demon?  That is very, very strange indeed.  maybe he wasn't thinking clearly when he had you do this?  Take it that literal.  That's exactly what it means. 

It doesn't matter if you're drunk off of his blood from his spirit or his actual body.  You are still drunk off the blood of the righteous.  And he said himself, he found you all drunk, and when you shake off your wine, then you'll listen...
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 02:56:44 AM by jeremy0 »
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Tinyal

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +26/-1
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2012, 01:27:20 AM »
Ummmm....

I couldn't quite finish reading that....presentation, as I didn't want my head to explode - it's been taking longer and longer to put back together after exposure to stupid.

But from what I did read, am I wrong or do both sides seem to be rather equally unwrapped, idea-wise? I felt like someone was asking a vegan if they wanted flame-broiled cod or cold fish soup - small differences masking major distinctions (flavors..).  But they are  both fish, and vegans detest meat.

<shakes head to clear the webs after reading>
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 02:05:15 AM »
Sorry - it's just another example of someone who doesn't understand their own religion.  I was rebuking the guy's statements with other religious statements.  Yeah, difficult stuff to read..

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +105/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 02:17:13 PM »
God "saves" a man in a single car crash,a miracle. God allows a bus full of nuns to die in a bus crash,he works in mysterious ways.God answers a football players prayers,the player is rewarded. God allows 4000 children to starve every hour of every day,someone must pay for original sin.

They have an answer for everything,there is NO winning
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 10:55:29 PM »
 :o You know what?  You're right.  Only the individual person can free him or herself from religion.  We can argue, but then the person we are arguing with doesn't make much of any sense.  Then, if you try to relate it to religion, I start making no sense..  (see the above).

I just can't win against ignorance.  Actually, I'm allergic to it.

There was a guy I used to talk with at a bookstore (we had a book club gathering every sunday morning), who used to teach religions in a university.  He was under the impression that religion has caused more damage than it has done good, and it should all be abolished.  Personally, I agree.  At the time though, I was catholic.  At that same bookstore, I ran into another catholic.  Boy, looking back at that discussion, me and that lady seemed like a couple of coconuts..

The problem is, people are willing to believe in practically any nonsense before thinking for themselves, because they want to 'belong' or they want to believe in at least something.

Is it possible to be happy in advance knowing that I no longer have to burn in hell for my meager 'sins', when so damn many other people did much worse things even to me?  I must be different from the other religious people - they wanted me to burn, I didn't want them to suffer.  I must not have been a devout Christian...