Author Topic: Here's Johnny!  (Read 1664 times)

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
Re: Here's Johnny!
« Reply #29 on: April 06, 2012, 05:51:50 PM »
Meditating.
That's what I call it when I'm too high to get off the couch.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline Johnny Spunkypants

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: April 06, 2012, 05:55:19 PM »
Traditional science is one way of looking at the world. It is a valid way. Introspection is another way, and it is also valid. Do you see this as a conflict between one and the other? I don't. I think true science is a healthy combination of bricks-and-mortar / peer confirmation science & inner science. The left and right brain talking to each other rather than competing.

Peace.
I'm not here to defend my views. I'm here simply to give my two cents.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #31 on: April 06, 2012, 06:12:17 PM »
Introspection is looking at your perception of the world, not the world itself.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #32 on: April 06, 2012, 06:52:04 PM »
I think true science is a healthy combination of bricks-and-mortar / peer confirmation science & inner science. The left and right brain talking to each other rather than competing.

Peace.

Unfortunately, true scientists would say that's a load of bull trying desperately to masquerade itself as an intelligent thought.

Traditional science is one way of looking at the world. It is a valid way. Introspection is another way, and it is also valid.

No it isn't. If you're being introspective you are not looking at the world. At least to those who understand what the words in the English language actually mean.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2012, 11:29:55 AM »
Johnny, I asked you a question. You can reply via PM if you like, but I need to know if accomodations are going to be necessary. 
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: April 07, 2012, 11:33:16 AM »
Introspection is looking at your perception of the world, not the world itself.

We're part of the world, aren't we? And we're observers. If you have a telescope, isn't it important to understand how it works?

Peace.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #35 on: April 07, 2012, 12:44:51 PM »
To an extent it is important to understand how it works. But that misses the point.

The connection between our conscious and the world is not direct, nor is it perfect. Our brain receives sensory data and our minds interpret it. Our brains also try and apply logic, they try to use reason and they ask questions and try to derive answers.

For example:

Sensory input: We see an object we call 'the sun' and it is in an object we call 'the sky'. The relative positions between us and the sun changes.
Interpretations:
1) The sun is moving across the sky.

Applied with reason
1) The sun is moving across the sky because it revolves around Earth.
2) The sun is moving across the sky because it actually a Norse goddess who is being chased by a wolf
3) The sun is moving across the sky because God makes it. For he created night and day.
4) The sun is moving across the sky because night and day is controlled by 2 almighty unicorns, the day is governed by Princess Celestia and night is governed by Nightmare Moon[1].

These are all interpretations of an observation and are not observations themselves. One may meditate on this interpretation and derive answers and meanings, but it is through further observation (not introspection) that we understand that the interpretation, "the sun is moving across the sky" is in fact a misconception.
 1. I was open minded about the MLP hype on the internet and watched some
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #36 on: April 09, 2012, 09:24:23 AM »
I'm not a christian for the very reasons mentioned above. That is not god. That's a fairy tale (or possibly a twisted version of historical events) that uses the concept of a creator but which has nothing to do with what god is. I'm sure there are many atheists who used to be christians and then stopped when they realised that the bible's concept of god doesn't sound right. I don't blame them. As I say I'm not interested in religion because religion twists the truth about god. God is light years away from what religion says it is. Virtually nothing like it at all.

Peace and blessings.

ah, just one more self-projection as god theist who doesnt' like the word religion since his fellow theists have shat all over that word by their actions.   And who wants to think that they have some special magical knowledge.  Pretty typical. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #37 on: April 09, 2012, 10:30:51 AM »
Sounds a bit like an atheist who can see there are some obvious and fatal flaws with the bible, but who cannot bring themselves to discard the word "God" altogether in a desire to hedge his bets.  Sounds like my bro-in-law, who agrees that much in the bible does not line up with his observations, but still refers to a generic god.  In his case, he figures if he still professes a belief in a generic god, a real god would at least give him half marks.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: April 09, 2012, 10:58:52 AM »
ah, just one more self-projection as god theist who doesnt' like the word religion since his fellow theists have shat all over that word by their actions.   And who wants to think that they have some special magical knowledge.  Pretty typical.

Well you're close. It's not that I've discarded the word "religion", I was never interested in it to begin with. I've never liked the idea of being a part of something, because when you're a part of something, the individual usually eventually gives way to the group, and that's not something I want to do, or be involved with in any way. This is why I don't involve myself with any religions. Apart from anything else, I just don't agree with them, but even if I did I'd do it alone.

Peace.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #39 on: April 09, 2012, 11:23:16 AM »

...It's not that I've discarded the word "religion", I was never interested in it to begin with. I've never liked the idea of being a part of something, because when you're a part of something, the individual usually eventually gives way to the group, and that's not something I want to do, or be involved with in any way...

Yet you're a pantheist.  Go figure.
 ;)

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #40 on: April 09, 2012, 11:25:37 AM »

Yet you're a pantheist.  Go figure.
 ;)

More like panentheist. I don't know if there are any panentheist religions out there, but if there are, I wouldn't join.

Peace.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #41 on: April 09, 2012, 11:27:27 AM »

More like panentheist. I don't know if there are any panentheist religions out there, but if there are, I wouldn't join.

Peace.
Because you're already a part of it, like you're a part of everything else?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #42 on: April 09, 2012, 11:34:33 AM »
Because you're already a part of it, like you're a part of everything else?

You've lost me. What do you mean?

Peace.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #43 on: April 09, 2012, 11:36:49 AM »
Everything is the universe (god), so you're a part of everything, no?

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #44 on: April 09, 2012, 11:42:18 AM »
Everything is the universe (god), so you're a part of everything, no?

In the wider sense, ultimately, yes I am everything and everything is me. But I, the being known as Johnny Spunkypants, am not, in this current lifetime, involved in any organised religion.

Peace.