Author Topic: Christians, why do you try to fight your god's plan?  (Read 368 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Christians, why do you try to fight your god's plan?
« on: April 02, 2012, 03:30:20 AM »
As we all know, a lot of christians are always whining that "non-believers are going to destroy the world"[1] and stuff like that. However, according to Revelation, that's YHWH's plan. Why do christians fight it? Every time there's an atheist trying to uphold the separation of church and state in the USA, there's a thousand theists whining about it. Every time there's an atheist trying to push for bigger and better scientific experiments (such as the LHC), there's a thousand theists whining that it's going to destroy the world (even though they know nothing about the subject).

Tell me, who's really following/helping YHWH's plan here? Is it you, the believers who are trying to stop it? Or us, who are "trying to bring about the end of the world"[2]?

EDIT: If you really want to help, let us handle things. We'll push for equal rights and all that stuff that's going to "destroy the world". You don't have to do anything.
 1. You know, with all that education and scientific development and equal rights... but I digress.
 2. Just for the sake of argument assume this to be true.
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 03:41:12 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
Re: Christians, why do you try to fight your god's plan?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 03:45:10 AM »
I don't personally know any Christians who are concerned about the end of the world except for worrying that friends and family aren't part of God's kingdom. Personally I worry very little about such big things...I'd much rather waste my energy worrying about how my football team is doing. But i'm getting better at that too.

The world won't end until God decides to end it.

Which reminds me of the rainbow...and a question my wife asked on Friday: why/how does a rainbow appear as it does? Any ideas? Sorry Lucifer, I'll ask this on the science thread.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:48:38 AM »

If you can convince your theists buddies of that, I'll give you a very big gift.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:04:29 AM »

If you can convince your theists buddies of that, I'll give you a very big gift.

Can I choose it?

I want you to stalk Christiano Ronaldo, kidnap him, drug him, take him to the plastic surgeon and get his sulkly face removed permanently.

Assuming he still spends any time in Portugal, of course.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 04:06:08 AM »
Can I choose it?

Nope. It's a surprise. Also your choice is impossible.
We choose our own gods.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:08:47 AM »
I'll say it's impossible. He even looks slightly sulky when he scores freak goals.

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:01:18 AM »
   why/how does a rainbow appear as it does? Any ideas? 
I'm hoping that wasn't a serious question, but if it was.
These should explain it, for you.

Alternatively you could say god did it. It's all magic miles!
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 05:14:51 AM »
It was a serious question...not about the appearance of the rainbow per se, but the shape it took.

And what I was able to follow of the videos you posted made some sense, although I just looked at snippets.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:04:20 AM »
It was a serious question...not about the appearance of the rainbow per se, but the shape it took.

And what I was able to follow of the videos you posted made some sense, although I just looked at snippets.

"The Magic of Reality: How we know what's really true"--Richard Dawkins

The above book contains a thorough explanation of all that you need to know about a rainbow.

Since you have no idea of the truth of what you're stating there, it's probably a safer bet and a less embarrassing statement if you would say that we know with great certainty that the sun, unknown to itself, has a surefire plan to end the material world in about 5 Billion years. That is of course, if some other natural cosmological event doesn't do it first.

I can imagine your disappointment with that knowledge though, as I'm sure that you and many others were really believing and looking forward to, with great anticipation, riding a war horse in the clouds and wielding a throatslitting sword in a messy bloodbath with king jesus as your fearless leader............

^^^You gotta wonder though about the method of battle, transport, and weapons ?

Jesus:"Here lets use these swords and horses at Armageddon !!"
Saint:"What!? jesus have you not seen modern weapons!? They're lethal and quite scary my Lord !!
Jesus:"Shut up !! It makes for a good traditional story, so get on your horse !!

The universe is amazing, but it is still a dangerous and violent place.....and you've allowed yourself to fall madly in love with an idea that adds its own dangers to us and therefore exacerbates that fact further for us here on earth......perfect--way to go  ;)
"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:23:23 AM »
I don't personally know any Christians who are concerned about the end of the world except for worrying that friends and family aren't part of God's kingdom. Personally I worry very little about such big things...I'd much rather waste my energy worrying about how my football team is doing. But i'm getting better at that too.

well, considering that your god has intentionally damned some people per its supposed magic book,  these Christians should be happy and accepting that their friends and family are damned.  It's god's will, yes ? and that's to be accepted without question? 

and for someone who supposedly has questions from his wife that he bothers to mention here, you sure seem intent on remaining ignorant, only bothering to look at "snippets".   And to find answer to questions yourself, you can use search engines and keywords.  You can use Google, for instance and type "rainbow cause" in the search box and you will get answers. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: April 02, 2012, 11:31:40 AM »
and for someone who supposedly has questions from his wife that he bothers to mention here, you sure seem intent on remaining ignorant, only bothering to look at "snippets".   And to find answer to questions yourself, you can use search engines and keywords.  You can use Google, for instance and type "rainbow cause" in the search box and you will get answers.

(sticking fingers in ears)...but, I don't wanna hear any answers, except those that I already "KNOW"!

:laugh:
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +104/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »

Which reminds me of the rainbow...and a question my wife asked on Friday: why/how does a rainbow appear as it does? Any ideas? Sorry Lucifer, I'll ask this on the science thread.
Does the end of the world include giant meteors? You know like the kind that destroyed the dinosaurs?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2012, 02:12:30 PM »
Does the end of the world include giant meteors? You know like the kind that destroyed the dinosaurs?

No such thing as dinosaurs. It's all a Satan/Science conspiracy.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2012, 02:34:31 PM »

well, there is this bit of ergot induced idiocy:
Revelation 6:13 and the stars in the sky fell to earth

Revelation 8:10 The third angel sounded his trumpet, and a great star, blazing like a torch, fell from the sky on a third of the rivers and on the springs of water— 11 the name of the star is Wormwood

pity these things are again up for anyone's "interpretation".  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2012, 02:36:55 PM »
That last one sounds like an actual star. To hit one third of the rivers and springs it must be enormous.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #15 on: April 02, 2012, 02:45:29 PM »
That last one sounds like an actual star. To hit one third of the rivers and springs it must be enormous.

it's a *star* of course it's enormous  ;D