Author Topic: Sugar: The bitter Truth  (Read 1566 times)

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
Re: Sugar: The bitter Truth
« Reply #29 on: April 03, 2012, 09:23:06 PM »
Congratulations Joe!!! Very impressive!!!

In the end, I think the best thing to do nutrition-wise is to eat as naturally as we can. All the various things that go into our highly processed foods simply can't be as healthy as an organically grown broccoli taken out of the earth. Whether its because of sugars or pesticides or hormones or a wide variety of other things, the food we find at fast food restaurants and in packages that last forever without rotting simply can't have as much nutrition. I'm betting that the details are FAR too complex to narrow obesity or illness down to one single factor (such as fructose). But cutting as many artificial or altered foods out as we can seems a safer way to eat.

My Bold

Did you watch the vid Trav?
 Rather convincing evidence is presented that there is in fact a direct correlation between the intro of fructose and the obesity epidemic onset.

No one is saying that other aspects/additives/processing etc are not deleterious, but to seem to suggest that they may be as much to blame as the fructose poisoning essentially misses the entire detailed point made by the vid.

If hfcs can be shown to be the major contributor to esp. childhood/infant obesity (which it definitely appears to be herein >right down to the hepatic bio chem<) then it is the major contributor.

It is important not to water down or distract from that fact by pointing out the other less than healthy food practises (they are not the point of this vid). :)
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #30 on: April 04, 2012, 08:36:31 AM »
I went to Kroger yesterday and was thinking about this thread while I was there with my single mom daughter and her two whiney kids.
It's not a huge Kroger and in fact it's one of the smaller stores, but they pack in customers like sardines. The place is EXTREMELY busy.
The first display they have is produce, but the choices are somewhat limited and high priced items quickly consumed rule the roost there.
Once you pass the produce department the rest of the store is one giant orgy of high fructose corn syrup impregnated crap. By the time you reach the checkout with two whining kids they almost have you broken then they spring their one last infamous trap...the candy racks.

You then have one of two options left. You can submit to the will of ADM and Hersheys OR smack those grubby little fingers and risk a child abuse charge.. :o
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2012, 08:44:55 AM »
***stupid phone***
Anyway...having brought up 4 kids myself I can testify that in such stores mild forms of child abuse such as swatting butts and smacking fingers goes wildly unreported.
Well who WOULDN'T want to beat their kids after that?  &)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #32 on: April 04, 2012, 08:46:42 AM »
So what you're saying is that parents are forced to feed their children the high-fructose stuff, and there is no legal recourse but to do so.  The responsibility lies 100% with the grocery store's layout.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #33 on: April 04, 2012, 08:52:42 AM »
That's not what I'm saying at all, but you can read whatever you want into it. But yes, the stores and food conglomerates are in collusion to peddle their crap above all other nutritious items. It's profit over health.
In the center of this store are two complete isles of NOTHING BUT Easter candy crap.. read whatever you want into that.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2012, 08:55:50 AM by atheola »

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #34 on: April 04, 2012, 08:55:38 AM »
You could clarify what you're saying, then.  Because the picture you've painted looks, to me, like one in which the parent has no choice other than public corporal punishment and basically letting the child pick his or her diet.

Since we are not stores or food conglomerates, we don't get to make the decisions you're talking about.  So what do we do?
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #35 on: April 04, 2012, 08:59:45 AM »
You have to raise a bunch of rugrats I guess to see where I'm coming from, but also it requires a bit of a sense of ironic humor or beating kids probably would become a viable option on some level.

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #36 on: April 04, 2012, 09:02:46 AM »
Youtube is blocked in China.

Completely off topic, but get a vpn. My wife and I also live in the big Red. There are several free ones, but we pay like $120 US a year for a service that is built into our router so we can share it between our phones and both laptops.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +276/-31
« Reply #37 on: April 04, 2012, 09:03:14 AM »
Despite how it might feel to you, atheola, the truth is objective and does not depend on whether or not I have raised a bunch of rugrats.  Mind answering my question?

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #38 on: April 04, 2012, 09:20:34 AM »
Come on Az..of course we have choices. I don't beat kids and I'm not suggesting people do it regularly in stores.
There is such a thing as exaggeration to make a point. I'm making perhaps an assumption that you get the drift that stores specifically target parents with small children to peddle their crap.
Have I spanked my own kids when they threw themselves on the floor screaming in the captain crunch isle? Indeed I have with no regrets.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #39 on: April 04, 2012, 01:05:27 PM »
Did you watch the vid Trav?
 Rather convincing evidence is presented that there is in fact a direct correlation between the intro of fructose and the obesity epidemic onset....

Yes, I watched the video, as I said. I also did some followup research and have some questions that were not addressed. That doesn't mean I disbelieve the vid. Quite the contrary. I just believe that there are also many other factors in this big business country of ours (USA) that are also unhealthy. I want to know more.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2012, 04:19:32 PM »
Sugar hypes most kids which makes it harder for them to concentrate meaning they get to charge the public for the honor of getting dumbed down.
The dumber the better to push through big agra and the 1% agenda. :-\

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2012, 04:34:29 PM »
You know, when Americans spent 1.5 billion dollars in several days last week to win the mega millions, not only does it seem absurd, but on the other hand, it also shows collective clout if we learn some things and get behind them. Produce and animal farmers these days are starting up CSAs (google it), and if a group of people sit down and figure how much produce, eggs, milk, beef, chicken, etc. are costing, and we work to eliminate the grocery middle man with the high fructose corn syrup, we can collectively turn heads. 

If you live in a city, get together as a group, find a farmer that would deliver if there’s enough interest, tell the farmer what you want, when you want it, run the numbers and both sides can end up with better nutrition and save some money (to buy lottery tickets :o)  There are places that are doing this.  It requires trust on both sides, and some leadership and organization that has to be worked out.  Just a thought.
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #42 on: April 04, 2012, 04:55:57 PM »
CSA (Community Supported Agriculture) info:

2 nationwide web sites
http://www.localharvest.org/
http://www.nal.usda.gov/afsic/pubs/csa/csa.shtml

Here’s how one in VA is organized.
http://www.buylocalvirginia.org/ass/library/17/bfbl_shenvalley_10.pdf

Contact the land grant universities.  Here’s how Michigan State organized their CSA and it shows what’s available through the year.
http://www.msuorganicfarm.com/node/123
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #43 on: April 05, 2012, 10:07:43 AM »
Sugar hypes most kids which makes it harder for them to concentrate...

Not really.Wiki The idea that sugar makes children (or anyone for that matter) hyperactive is a myth.
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind