Author Topic: Super Important Studies about Declining Bee Populations  (Read 699 times)

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
Super Important Studies about Declining Bee Populations
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:49:16 PM »
http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2012/03/29/10921493-neonicotinoid-pesticides-tied-to-crashing-bee-populations-2-studies-find

The article above is about a common post '90s pesticide known as neonicotinoid insecticides aimed at reducing the insect destruction of common crops such as corn.  In laymen's terms, it is directly due to these pesticides that the bee population drops off dramatically, even if the smallest portions of the chemical are present.  Obviously if they are greater: even worse.

he scientists behind the studies in Europe called for regulators to consider banning the class of chemicals known as neonicotinoid insecticides. In the U.S., the Environmental Protection Agency told msnbc.com that the studies would be incorporated into a review that's currently under way.

A pesticide trade group questioned the data, saying the levels of pesticide used were unrealistically high, while the researchers said the levels used were typical of what bees would find on farms.
Advertise | AdChoices

"Our study raises important issues regarding pesticide authorization procedures," stated Mikael Henry, co-author of a study on honey bees. "So far, they mostly require manufacturers to ensure that doses encountered on the field do not kill bees, but they basically ignore the consequences of doses that do not kill them but may cause behavioral difficulties."

"There is an urgent need to develop alternatives to the widespread use of neonicotinoid pesticides on flowering crops wherever possible," added the authors of the second study on bumble bees

Bold: like always.  Profit first, existence of all living organisms second.  Ass-wipes.

Then the scientists delve in to nailing the coffin shut on the morons:

Published in the peer-reviewed journal Science, one study by British scientists looked at honey bees and the other by French scientists examined bumble bees, which unlike honey bees live in the wild but also are key pollinators.

In the bumble bee study, researchers concluded that colonies treated with nonlethal levels of the pesticide "had a significantly reduced growth rate and suffered an 85% reduction in production of new queens" compared to colonies without the pesticide.

"It was quite massive," researcher Penelope Whitehorn said of the reduction at a press conference Thursday. (Click here for audio of the news conference.)

"Bumble bees have an annual life cycle and it is only new queens that survive the winter to found colonies in the spring," the authors noted. "Our results suggest that trace levels of neonicotinoid pesticides can have strong negative consequence for queen production by bumble bee colonies under realistic field conditions, and this is likely to have a substantial population-level impact."

In the honey bee study, radio transmitters were attached to the back of bees to see how they foraged in conditions with and without the pesticide.

The pesticide, the researchers concluded, impaired the homing ability of bees and exposed bees were two to three times more likely to die while away from the hive. That "high mortality ... could put a colony at risk of collapse" within a few weeks of exposure, especially in combination with other stressors, they noted.

"We were actually quite surprised by the magnitude," Henry told reporters.

Bolds:  Notice that these are the scientists and that they are the experts

The article is alarming to people like you and I, but to an common imbecile it means next to nothing.  To me, this could be the most important thing in science in the past twenty years, and in the next one-hundred.  Bees, as we know, are what keeps the process rotating throughout seasons with pollination; and as Albert Einstein articulated so simply "If the bee disappeared of the surface of the globe then man would only have four years of life left."

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +770/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: Super Important Studies about Declining Bee Populations
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 06:13:47 PM »
In cases like this, half the battle is figuring out what the problem is, and right now it looks like they may have found the smoking gun, as per this article. The other half is fighting the idiots for whom the truth is inconvenient. It's just like what we do here, but more dire. And there are more idiots out there then show up here.

But again, if this indeed the main culprit in the die offs, this is huge news. Thanks bosey for bringing it to our attention.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 06:23:05 PM »
NPR reported it today.. I'd bet money, not that money will be worth spit that rubes and the godbrothers fight this tooth and fucking nail till there are no bees.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 06:53:59 PM »
If not the smoking gun then at least another key stressor leading to colony collapse. It'll be interesting to see if these findings can be reproduced.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 07:27:46 PM »
Thank you for the link, Bos.   Science has thought it was insecticides, and neonicotinoids kept being mentioned.

I'd like to think that the ag community (Bayer)  understands this.   Interesting that a link here:
                             http://www.beecharmers.org/Pollination2.html
shows that beekeepers in the midwest in '95 were concerned enough to take Bayer to court.  Exasperating that the money Bayer would have spent developing these chemicals was more important than the honey bees - really it blows my mind.  Platinum is a neonicotinoid that is put through trickle irrigation that works systemically through vine crops such as melons and cucumbers - all using honey bees for pollination.  The research never took into account that the bee's behavior was affected.  Bayer - you FUCKED up!

Of course the bee keepers lobby is no match for the Koch Brothers lobby.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 07:41:46 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 08:09:01 PM »
True, I don't think there is any way the 99% will be able to defeat the 1% (Koch Bros/etc.).  The misdirect campaign is in full swing.  Within 3 years we will be drilling for oil in Alaska and everywhere else.  EPA will be neutered.  They have won.  Its that simple.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2012, 09:03:28 PM »
Well since I'll probably die in the next few years anyway maybe a strap on device would be a way to say adios...Take a few with me then leave a note i converted and became a rube so as to not get us blamed... uh-oh...men in black at my door as I type.
seriously..if i believed it would change a fucking thing its what I would do. Once planet earth begins dying the uber rich will eat us and when we're all gone then themselves..good ridance.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +895/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #7 on: March 29, 2012, 09:12:45 PM »
I have a beekeeper friend who travels around with his hives pollinating farms all over the west coast. And the bees have been dying like crazy. Goodbye, food supply. :(
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #8 on: March 29, 2012, 09:20:14 PM »
Don't worry. Monsanto has the antidote. It'll only cost $49.99 for a loaf of bread.
These are the evil fucks of planet earth. Partly they make mass farms possible to feed billions then have all the billions by the balls. To bad Monsanto didn't stick to nuclear bomb parts.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +895/-6
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2012, 11:52:05 PM »
I have a vegan friend who says that meat is the problem and we should eat soy instead. I tell him that corporate agriculture is the problem, because ADM owns all the world's soybeans. The best thing to do is try to buy from local farms, CSA's, organic and fair trade whenever possible.

Until the revolution.  :)

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2012, 06:38:34 AM »
I'll get a job hand pollinating plants with feathers the way they do it in China.. a friend of mine lives in Arcola, IL..they used to have to go out in the corn fields every summer to tassle the corn which was hand pollinating and that was 40-50 yrs ago...

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2012, 07:04:38 AM »
I have a vegan friend who says that meat is the problem and we should eat soy instead. I tell him that corporate agriculture is the problem, because ADM owns all the world's soybeans. The best thing to do is try to buy from local farms, CSA's, organic and fair trade whenever possible.

Oh, I agree with both you and your friend.  Although I am by no means a vegan, I've always eaten fairly "low" on the food chain.  But yeah.  Food is big business.  I tried the local CSA, but even a half share was too much, and too much food went to waste and I am so not a domestic goddess who can throw together an interesting meal after just looking at the gazillion veggies occupying my fridge. I am a big fan of the local farmer's market for about half the year. 

But I'm not sure I share your optimism.  I want to.  But in a world with an abundance of food, an unacceptably huge percentage of humanity is malnourished or starving.  What will happen when the balance shifts?  What will happen when there really isn't enough food to feed all of humanity, even if we got the distribution right? 

Those who speculate and depend on scarcity in order to make a profit are already preparing for world-wide food shortages, and buying up agricultural lands in far away places. 

http://towardfreedom.com/africa/2190-buying-africa-us-corporations-grab-land-across-continent

http://farmlandgrab.org/

Offline HalusN8er

• Student
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #12 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:43 AM »
I'll get a job hand pollinating plants with feathers the way they do it in China.. a friend of mine lives in Arcola, IL..they used to have to go out in the corn fields every summer to tassle the corn which was hand pollinating and that was 40-50 yrs ago...

They still do that where I grew up, around Peoria, IL.  Kids get summer jobs detasseling corn.  Despite growing up around it, I actually never knew why they did it....until now.  :?

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #13 on: March 30, 2012, 10:55:23 AM »

first the cut the population.  Then what's left might be able to survive on organics, CSAs etc.   If all of NYC decided to go organic/csa/local, there'd never be enough.

so, revolution first?   8)

fascinating stuff about the bees.  My brother raises them, or is at least trying too.  Bears can be rather hard to keep out.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #14 on: March 30, 2012, 03:08:58 PM »
first the cut the population. 

Yup. The number one source of the woes of the world is not religion, it is control of resources. More people equal higher demand and faster depletion. There are even other woes of the world that I'd still put over religion.

Religion, however, holds a special place as it is the major source of strife and woe in the world...that is over something completely and utterly imaginary. It doesn't even have the merits of the capitalism versus Communism dispute....it is over who has the best imaginary friend.

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2012, 06:17:44 AM »
Companies won't stop destroying the environment unless they are forced to, and the government won't do that because they're paid to look the other way, and if anyone else tries to stop them they'll be locked up as a terrorist.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2012, 03:05:08 PM »
Companies won't stop destroying the environment unless they are forced to, and the government won't do that because they're paid to look the other way, and if anyone else tries to stop them they'll be locked up as a terrorist.

Bullsh*t. First of all, billions of dollars are also invested in the bee and farming industries.

Second, people don't want to starve.

Third, farms need their bees and hence, ...
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +895/-6
« Reply #17 on: April 01, 2012, 06:06:02 PM »
I think the issue here is short-term profits versus long-term sustainability. Capitalism does quite well at generating short-term profits. Not so good with the long-term. Look at how hard the energy industries fight the global climate change stuff, even while they are investing in alternatives at the same time. Some people think they can outrun nature and still make money. Scientists think it may already be too late.

So yeah, agribusiness needs bees long-term, but it needs pesticides now to generate profits.

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #18 on: April 04, 2012, 03:10:22 PM »
I think the issue here is short-term mega profits versus long-term sustainability. Capitalism does quite well at generating short-term mega profits. Not so good with the long-term. Look at how hard the energy industries fight the global climate change stuff, even while they are investing in alternatives at the same time. Some people think they can outrun nature and still make money. Scientists think it may already be too late.

So yeah, agribusiness needs bees long-term, but it needs pesticides now to generate mega profits.

Bolds: Minor corrections for you there nogods  ;)  Your point is well-taken though.  If, and that is an enormous IF, companies could just have the slightest amount of compassion and not only human, but life preservation at the top of their company's goal list, then they would realize even something like industrial farming can be shrunk back down to local levels and still sustain profits.  Simply they would not be at astronomical, post-Reaganomic, detrimental to the whole population-like levels.