Author Topic: Why did God stop after Adam?  (Read 1199 times)

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
Why did God stop after Adam?
« on: March 27, 2012, 11:48:09 PM »
Why not make biology such that every human child that is born is born a male?  Then, when that male child grows and matures, God would snag a rib from him while he sleeps to create the perfect help meet for him like he did for Eve.  Don't you think that would be more logical?  There would be fewer abortions, no divorce, and God could have freed up one of the Ten Commandments for something practical.  There would be no need to waste one with coveting another man's wife considering each man would have a special ordered wife straight from his own ribs.  Besides, there would be no controversy about homosexuality.  If a man's help meet was another man, boom, mystery solved.  Paul could have relaxed a bit with his trolling on the GLBT crowd, too.  It seems like a win-win situation to me.     

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
Re: Why did God stop after Adam?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2012, 11:53:20 PM »
personally I'm happy with the current arrangement.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2012, 11:56:43 PM »
But there would be no one to marginalize!
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2012, 06:40:59 AM »
personally I'm happy with the current arrangement.

Interesting.  And you believe the current arrangement is God's perfect design?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2012, 07:00:16 AM »
The design is perfect, that I do believe.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2012, 07:43:44 AM »
then the one he used for Adam was imperfect.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2012, 07:45:28 AM »

So perfect that God had to drown all mankind, except for the town drunk and his family.

Enjoy your delusion.

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:42 AM »

No..imperfection came with the fall.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2012, 07:53:16 AM »

Then this method is imperfect.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:43 AM »
Saw this a few days ago.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2012, 07:55:56 AM »

So perfect that God had to drown all mankind, except for the town drunk and his family.

Actually, I think Noah's battle with the bottle came later. He was saved because he was the only one still following God.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2012, 07:58:40 AM »

That's actualy quite an interesting thought, and leads me to ponder the meaning of perfection: Is perfection something which can't possibly go bad, or something which can't be improved. In other words...God's method could go bad....but could it be improved?
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2012, 08:01:47 AM »
That's actualy quite an interesting thought, and leads me to ponder the meaning of perfection: Is perfection something which can't possibly go bad, or something which can't be improved. In other words...God's method could go bad....but could it be improved?

Perfect in this context means that it's the best method for reproduction. As your god is supposedly omnipotent, it would also be impossible for it to "go bad".
So, you have four choices:
A) The A&E thing was perfect and this one is not.
B) This one is perfect and the A&E was not.
C) Neither are perfect.
D) It's all a lie.

EDIT: Actually, there's a fifth choice, which I suspect is the one you'll choose.
F[1]) Stick with your cognitive dissonance.
 1. I know I skipped "E". That's because "F" stands for something. I'll let you guess what it stands for.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:03:29 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2012, 08:05:41 AM »
Perfection cannot go bad. Perfection cannot be improved upon. It is not interesting at all. I suppose you find it interesting because of how Christians have to change or even destroy the meanings of words in order to try to make beliefs "make sense"

But we can further investigate this since you do find it interesting. If "god" is perfect, but can be improved upon or made better what does that say about any and everything about god? It certainly opens the door for him and his plans being completely inept (as described in the bible and shown in real life--if he really existed). But the more reasonable answer is that this "perfect god" doesnt exist.

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2012, 08:13:59 AM »

I hear this all the time. Before I reply. Can you tell me exactly what "the fall" means to you?
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2012, 08:39:41 AM »
A) The A&E thing was perfect and this one is not.
B) This one is perfect and the A&E was not.
C) Neither are perfect.
D) It's all a lie.

EDIT: Actually, there's a fifth choice, which I suspect is the one you'll choose.
F[1]) Stick with your cognitive dissonance.
 1. I know I skipped "E". That's because "F" stands for something. I'll let you guess what it stands for.

Well, as it turned out, E stood for edit :)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2012, 08:58:03 AM »

Actually, I think Noah's battle with the bottle came later. He was saved because he was the only one still following God.

So what? What kind of "free will" is that, when the grantor of this "free will" becomes enraged and kills you because you had the audacity to exercise this supposed freedom!
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2012, 09:01:12 AM »

Gee, I suppose the average moron could go look up the meaning in a dictionary, but, hey, in reality word definitions are flexible as necessary to accommodate religious dogma, right?

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +791/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2012, 09:03:20 AM »
Well, maybe god was so perfect he made us better than him.

Or he made up sex because he didn't like getting his hands dirty.

I'm pretty sure a wife made of my rib wouldn't be any happier with me than the ones I already had. So that's a no-go.

He might of skipped down shortly after Eden because he didn't want to get blamed for the mess.

Or he messed up every time he tried, using every method he could think of. He tried the dismember giant thing forming the earth with the Chinese. He tried the dueling gods of Mesopotamia and Egypt and Greece. He tried doing is again as another dismember giant in India, because the caste system seemed like a good idea at the time. He tried starting as an amorphous mass in Japan. He tried the giant thing again with the Norse, in a cool story that involved lots of frozen water. Golly gee, maybe he isn't perfect after all. Because nothing seemed to work, and yet here we are.

Nope, we humans messed up on our own. We didn't require any help from any non-existant and incompetent gods with no ability to devise workable plans. Or, like I said, he made us better than him.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2012, 09:12:52 AM »
Why not make biology such that every human child that is born is born a male?  Then, when that male child grows and matures, God would snag a rib from him while he sleeps to create the perfect help meet for him like he did for Eve.  Don't you think that would be more logical?  There would be fewer abortions, no divorce, and God could have freed up one of the Ten Commandments for something practical.  There would be no need to waste one with coveting another man's wife considering each man would have a special ordered wife straight from his own ribs.  Besides, there would be no controversy about homosexuality.  If a man's help meet was another man, boom, mystery solved.  Paul could have relaxed a bit with his trolling on the GLBT crowd, too.  It seems like a win-win situation to me.     

Win-win? Are you anti-lesbian?

But then thinking of the vast possibilities, since they are personally created by the same god, would women be sin-free? It is all too confusing, how will the inherited sin work out? The men will be sinners while the women will be sinless?

Online jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +584/-18
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2012, 09:37:40 AM »
The Adam & Eve story was written in part to justify the superiority of men over women in the Hebrew belief system.  Thus why Eve was made from Adam's rib - because it meant that women were that much less than men.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2012, 10:05:13 AM »

ah, yes, the god that made wine possible (or was that Satan  ;D )  and the drunkard who was evidently cuckholded by his son Ham, and who cursed, not Ham, but Ham's innocent son, Canaan.

wow, what a god you got there.  :P  We have a "fall" that your god seemed to intend (or was not the omniscient/omnipotent being you claim).  we get a story that sounds like your god didn't really  mean for sex to occur or pregnancy, but funny how there is no evidence of these silly little myths you tell.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Zankuu

• Reader
  • Darwins +135/-3
    • I am a Forum Guide
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2012, 10:18:03 AM »
ah, yes, the god that made wine possible (or was that Satan  ;D )  and the drunkard who was evidently cuckholded by his son Ham, and who cursed, not Ham, but Ham's innocent son, Canaan.

I still wonder why ol' Yahweh got his feathers ruffled over this incestuous incident. We're talking about a god that didn't have a damn thing to say when Lot's daughters raped him.
Leave nothing to chance. Overlook nothing. Combine contradictory observations. Allow yourself enough time. -Hippocrates of Cos

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2012, 05:58:31 PM »

I actually believe that you were considering the design of humans as heterosexual, and the idea that it works well for you, and that you enjoy how it all works.  You didn't mention being against homosexuality, but something tells me you are?

Anyway, the OP brought up an alternative approach for providing "man" with a companion, the original being Eve, who was "created" directly by the hand of God, for the purpose of being a companion for Adam.  But when Eve ate of the fruit, suddenly God decided to make "chid birth" painful, to punish women forever.  So, what God really needed was the perfect place for Adam to insert his penis, and allow viable offspring.  Imagine that.  No more rib magic required!

I don't know if you are a parent, but what lengths would you go to if you could take child birth pains from your spouse?  I wanted to take them all away for my wife, and if I had god powers, I would.  Would you?  Or do you believe that all women, forever, should endure painful child birth because of Eve's actions?

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2012, 06:02:10 PM »

the fall of who?God fails to expain action and consequence to his creation. where did the snake come from God created it? it always existed? the Garden was NOT perfect,nor were his creations?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +106/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2012, 06:03:13 PM »

how did he re-populate earth?
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2012, 07:36:06 PM »
Win-win? Are you anti-lesbian?

But then thinking of the vast possibilities, since they are personally created by the same god, would women be sin-free? It is all too confusing, how will the inherited sin work out? The men will be sinners while the women will be sinless?

d'oh!  I didn't even think of the lesbian angle!  Oh crud, talk about assuming one's experiences are universal! 

Unless....lesbianism is clearly ungodly.  If God created a guy from a guy's rib then bromances would be sacred but yeah, lesbians would be shit out of luck in that set-up. 

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2012, 08:17:44 PM »
As to why god stopped at adam...he evidently was to busy making cain and ables wives and ...oops..forgot the woman for adam.. Crap! This making people out of clay shit is HARD! It'll be funner to just fuck with em... &)
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 08:27:49 PM »
If the A&E story was to make women inferior why use a rib? Why not a foot bone? a 11th toe? armpit hair? 3rd nut?  ..All kinds of really revolting man parts you ladies COULD have been made of worse than a rib..I guess.. :P Hey! That foreskin thing!  :D

Note: I'm in training to piss off the entire female population...just this post..
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 08:31:40 PM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!