Poll

Do you think Candace Chellew-Hodge's Christianity is viable, especially with regard to her acceptance of the gay lifestyle?

I have NOT read the interview, and I never let the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about get in the way of expressing my opinions.
I have read the interview, and she's teaching falsehoods.
I have NOT read the interview, and I never let the fact that I don't know what I'm talking about get in the way of expressing my opinions.
God hates fags.
Other

Author Topic: POLL: Gay-Friendly Pastor PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING  (Read 1077 times)

Offline Codswallop

• Reader
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Cod helps those who help themselves.
POLL: Gay-Friendly Pastor PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING
« on: July 31, 2008, 05:03:57 PM »
As a regular reader of Hemant Mehta's blog, The Friendly Atheist, I'm always on the lookout for something we might be able to use here on WWGHA. Today he ran his interview with Candace Chellew-Hodge, a gay-friendly Christian pastor and self-described recovering Southern Baptist.

PLEASE READ THE INTERVIEW FIRST.<<<<<<<<CLICKY

VOTE AND COMMENT AFTER. THANKS.

"You've got to remember that these are just simple farmers. These are people of the land. The common clay of the new West. You know... morons."
             --Gene Wilder as The Waco Kid, Blazing Saddles

Offline xphobe

• Professor
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • the truth is out there
Re: POLL: Gay-Friendly Pastor PLEASE READ BEFORE VOTING
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 07:55:09 PM »
I voted "God Hates Fags".  God doesn't exist, but the Yahweh I've read about does indeed hate just about everybody.

She's missing the point.  She's attending to the patient's dressings, caringly, lovingly cleaning the wound, and she doesn't even notice that the patient has been decapitated, and blood is literally spouting from the neck stump.  Heal THAT amputee, God.  Heal those people who - in their mistaken belief that they know even the first thing about you - SPAG in huge cathedrals, synagogues and mosques, call themselves Christians, Muslims and Jews, and raise banners to march behind.  Onward Christian soldiers, marching as to war.
I stopped believing for a little while this morning. Journey is gonna be so pissed when they find out...

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 08:06:50 PM »
I voted "Other". If you read the bible without the view that it is "infallible" you realize it is a record of opposing viewpoints. It is a record of beliefs by different groups of the Hebrew faith. Jeremiah, Micah, Hosea, and Micah hint that the Torah was a big fabrication by the priesthood. Most of the Jewish prophets realized that their religion was not about rules and rituals but service to their neighbor, serving the poor, looking out for the widow. They believed that sometimes Israel and Judah abandoned that when they listened to the priests.

Therefore, she is indeed teaching "falsehoods" if one believes the whole bible is the "word of God", but she is "right on the money" if one sees that God is not all about our human sexual preferences but how we treat one another.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline CodyTowner

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
    • The Lair
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2008, 12:06:07 AM »
I voted she's teaching falsehoods, only because she's still spreading Christianity. But anybody should be free to follow their own religion. And the bible clearly condemns homosexuality in Leviticus. At least, gay MEN anyway. (Everybody loves lesbians even worked for Jesus?) But I appreciate the work she;s trying to do. I get where she's coming from, and it could help those who ARE faithful. AT least it might shrink the numbers of homophobes.

A website for writers ^_^ (click the banner)

"Atheism is pissing in God's face" -paraphrased by random Mailbag writer