Author Topic: School bus driver oversteps her role, big time.  (Read 201 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
School bus driver oversteps her role, big time.
« on: November 20, 2014, 06:12:51 PM »
As if being an outed homosexual teen in the Deep South wasn't quite stressful enough...
http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyatheist/2014/11/20/louisiana-school-bus-driver-tells-teen-to-repent-for-sin-of-homosexuality/

So it's not enough for this driver to be alert and look out for her charges' physical safety. She has to worry about what her bronze-age mythology says about their sexuality. Assumed Christian privilege just makes me ill, sometimes.

From the linked article:
According to the letter, the 16-year-old student — who was identified only as John Doe — attempted to exit the school bus on Oct. 10, but he was stopped by the bus driver.

“The driver then asked John Doe if he went to church or participated in any church-like activity,” the letter explained. “When John Doe told the driver no, she told him that ‘going to church is how he can avoid sin.’ She proceeded to tell John Doe that homosexuality is a ‘sin’ and that he can go to hell for it.”

John Doe said that the driver warned him that he must “repent” for his “sinful ways” by praying to God, and by going to church. She also reportedly gave him advice on which Bible to get, and which church to attend.

After John Doe was released from the bus, he told his sister what happened, and she informed Principal Shalonda Simoneaux, who advised the students to “call transportation because I’m not her boss.”

So the principal is totally washing her hands of this? While there may be some details missing, that sure looks like side-stepping to me. Doesn't send a good message to the kids who reported this, either.

Someone in the transportation department eventually told Doe’s parents that the bus driver had been informed that she could no longer talk about religion or sexuality with students.

District spokesman Keith Bromery insisted to The Times-Picayune that a “reprimand and counseling, and having this in her personnel file was all that this should entail, and thats what happened.”

Except such incidents don't happen in a vacuum. They tend to propagate and continue indefinitely unless comprehensive efforts are made to change the environment that fosters them. The ACLU wants to see a more in-depth response, and I agree.

Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: School bus driver oversteps her role, big time.
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2014, 06:23:12 PM »
Somebody needs to pull her aside and tell her about all her sinning. All Christians, according to their Bible sin. Hell, being born is a sin. Christians just don't sin they are sin.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline King_Me

• Freshman
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • ~WWGHA~ MEMBER :D
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2014, 10:37:22 PM »
When Xians define "sin" and truly stop doing it then they can tell me to stop it to, otherwise just stop it...
...if you hear your son asking for cocaine why dont you give it to him?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2014, 01:18:16 PM »
So if it was a case of a bus driver leaving a small student asleep on the bus and going home which has happened on many occasions...the principal would have told the parents/students it was not her problem?

People like this bus driver is what has made me go from tolerating Christians to actually hating them.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +272/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2014, 01:34:29 PM »
I want the driver arrested for preventing the student from leaving the bus.

And then fired with cause.

And then sued.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +337/-85
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2014, 02:34:21 PM »
I want the driver arrested for preventing the student from leaving the bus.

And then fired with cause.

And then sued.

Most likely wouldn't happen. It's the deep South. Outsiders are tolerated to a point.

-Nam
This thread is about lab-grown dicks, not some mincy, old, British poof of an actor. 

Let's get back on topic, please.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 11:28:15 PM »
If it was reversed and the bus driver had asked a Christian, "Did you know there is no God? Why are you wasting time with religion?" I am sure the atheists would consider it freedom of speech and worthy of admiration.

Yet the reverse is bad? That doesn't seem fair.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-32
« Reply #7 on: Yesterday at 12:31:13 AM »
If it was reversed and the bus driver had asked a Christian, "Did you know there is no God? Why are you wasting time with religion?" I am sure the atheists would consider it freedom of speech and worthy of admiration.

If we're comparing what really happened with what you're sure would happen, then yes, that is a double standard.

There is no theoretical limit to the number of things you could be sure of that would constitute double standards.

Question is, why are you so sure?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #8 on: Yesterday at 12:34:10 AM »
Proselytizing isn't a public school bus driver's job. That's the point. This driver wasn't working for a religious school and the student she took aside, by the reports I've seen, didn't ask for her opinion beforehand.

And please don't make assumptions about all atheists. Yes, for the record, I would consider it just as bad if an atheist adult in a similar position of authority imposed their view on Christian students. Or those of any religious faith.
« Last Edit: Yesterday at 12:35:43 AM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #9 on: Yesterday at 01:50:21 AM »
Proselytizing isn't a public school bus driver's job. That's the point. This driver wasn't working for a religious school and the student she took aside, by the reports I've seen, didn't ask for her opinion beforehand.

And please don't make assumptions about all atheists. Yes, for the record, I would consider it just as bad if an atheist adult in a similar position of authority imposed their view on Christian students. Or those of any religious faith.

I am surprised by that, but OK.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #10 on: Yesterday at 01:54:25 AM »

If we're comparing what really happened with what you're sure would happen, then yes, that is a double standard.

There is no theoretical limit to the number of things you could be sure of that would constitute double standards.

Question is, why are you so sure?

I see that some atheists would disagree with an atheist who said that. But, I bet there are some on this board who would agree with what the atheist said. They then can not get mad at this woman, who simply stated her beliefs.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #11 on: Yesterday at 02:47:18 AM »
I see that some atheists would disagree with an atheist who said that. But, I bet there are some on this board who would agree with what the atheist said. They then can not get mad at this woman, who simply stated her beliefs.

^^ So, other than your own wishful thinking, what made you come to this conclusion?

Also, "agree with what the atheist said" ... which atheist? The one that doesn't exist? I can't off the top of my head remember the last time an atheist actually did this, in, you know, the universe that does not exist solely inside your skull.
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-32
« Reply #12 on: Yesterday at 03:57:15 AM »
I see that some atheists would disagree with an atheist who said that.

Glad you acknowledge it.

But, I bet there are some on this board who would agree with what the atheist said.

As Fiji said, what atheist?  The imaginary one?  And I note that now you're so sure that you're betting.  How much money would you be willing to bet?

They then can not get mad at this woman, who simply stated her beliefs.

So if an atheist did what she did to a Christian student, you'd be okay with that atheist "simply stating his/her beliefs"?[1]  Really and truly?
 1. This would actually be pretty hard for an atheist to do, since atheism contains no metaphysical threats to convey to a student.  No hell to threaten with, etc.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #13 on: Yesterday at 08:44:47 AM »

No bus driver should be bullying students with their personal beliefs/ideologies, atheist or otherwise. When a bus driver is on the job, you know, driving students to and from school, she does not have free speech protection under the law in her bus driving role. She is bound by the duties of the bus driver code of conduct, and the company that employes her can discipline/terminate her for violating their rules.

If that same bus driver wants to stand on a corner and yell at others about their personal sins, while off duty, that is protected free speech, assuming she is not violating any local or federal laws related to public gathering, etc.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #14 on: Yesterday at 04:07:19 PM »
I see that some atheists would disagree with an atheist who said that.

Glad you acknowledge it.

But, I bet there are some on this board who would agree with what the atheist said.

As Fiji said, what atheist?  The imaginary one?  And I note that now you're so sure that you're betting.  How much money would you be willing to bet?

They then can not get mad at this woman, who simply stated her beliefs.

So if an atheist did what she did to a Christian student, you'd be okay with that atheist "simply stating his/her beliefs"?[1]  Really and truly?
 1. This would actually be pretty hard for an atheist to do, since atheism contains no metaphysical threats to convey to a student.  No hell to threaten with, etc.

I would be OK with an atheist saying that stuff. A Christian should always be armed with a Bible verse for a quick dismantling.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +53/-444
« Reply #15 on: Yesterday at 04:10:13 PM »

No bus driver should be bullying students with their personal beliefs/ideologies, atheist or otherwise. When a bus driver is on the job, you know, driving students to and from school, she does not have free speech protection under the law in her bus driving role. She is bound by the duties of the bus driver code of conduct, and the company that employes her can discipline/terminate her for violating their rules.

If that same bus driver wants to stand on a corner and yell at others about their personal sins, while off duty, that is protected free speech, assuming she is not violating any local or federal laws related to public gathering, etc.

Suppose a student asked the bus driver, "Do you believe in God?"

Are they allowed to comment, then? or would that upset the liberals?

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-32
« Reply #16 on: Yesterday at 04:19:13 PM »
I would be OK with an atheist saying that stuff.

Well, yeah, you're here.  I didn't ask if you'd be okay with an atheist trying to convert someone; I asked you if you'd be okay with an atheist schoolbus driver harrassing Christian students for their beliefs.

Perhaps you would see it as beneficial because it would disparage atheism in the minds of others.  And indeed it might.  But does that make it morally defensible to you, on the part of the person doing it?

A Christian should always be armed with a Bible verse for a quick dismantling.

They are good at being dismantled; good to have it at the ready for that purpose.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #17 on: Yesterday at 05:47:42 PM »

Suppose a student asked the bus driver, "Do you believe in God?"

Are they allowed to comment, then? or would that upset the liberals?

if i were the driver, i would be inclined to tell the kid that i cant talk about my personal beliefs to students