Author Topic: Op-Ed: Stop calling abortion a 'difficult decision'  (Read 422 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Laureate
  • Darwins +1080/-36
  • Karma mooch
Op-Ed: Stop calling abortion a 'difficult decision'
« on: January 25, 2016, 01:33:38 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stop-calling-abortion-a-difficult-decision/2014/08/15/e61fa09a-17fd-11e4-9349-84d4a85be981_story.html

Planned Parenthood calls abortion “a difficult decision” in many of its consent forms and fact sheets. When NARAL launched a film on the 40th anniversary of Roe v. Wade in 2013, the president of the pro-choice organization called abortion “a difficult decision” women and couples face.

Lawmakers use the adjective, too. “It was a difficult, difficult decision, but it was the right one,” Nevada Assemblywoman Lucy Flores said last month in defending her choice to have an abortion at age 16. In 2005, then-Sen. Hillary Rodham Clinton described the decision to have an abortion as “one of the most fundamental, difficult and soul-searching decisions a woman and a family can make” and “often the most difficult [decision] that a woman will ever make.”

However, when the pro-choice community frames abortion as a difficult decision, it implies that women need help deciding, which opens the door to paternalistic and demeaning “informed consent” laws. It also stigmatizes abortion and the women who need it.
continues
What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +218/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: Op-Ed: Stop calling abortion a 'difficult decision'
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2016, 02:07:56 PM »
https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/stop-calling-abortion-a-difficult-decision/2014/08/15/e61fa09a-17fd-11e4-9349-84d4a85be981_story.html

It also stigmatizes abortion and the women who need it.
continues

There is definite stigma attached to abortion and woman who did not admit how "difficult" the decision was for her may be further stigmatized.  It's not supposed to be easy to decide to terminate a pregnancy.  Women aren't supposed to but their own health, goals, priorities and future over an impending pregnancy.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline natlegend

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-4
  • Polyatheist
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2016, 02:54:45 AM »
Personally, I'm pretty sure I already know what my decision would be. But it would always be difficult.
You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

"Ray, when someone asks you, if you're a god, you say YES!!"

Offline Nrador007

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2016, 03:52:50 AM »
Do not make it a bad thing.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +323/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2016, 07:36:03 AM »
I see what they are trying to convey, but there is most definitely an aspect of "difficult" involved. I would also agree that there are better ways to frame the situation when it comes to keeping the anti-choice community at bay.

I cannot imagine what some women go through emotionally with a decision to abort a pregnancy. I said some women because I don't believe all women have the same reaction. As with most human conditions, it is never a simple binary thing. There is always a scale that leaves room for everything between the two absolutes.

Offline skeptic54768

• Fellow
  • Darwins +140/-649
  • Christianity is the most beautiful religion.
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2016, 12:15:32 AM »
I suppose the "difficult decision" mantra doesn't jive with the "it's just a blob of chemicals! it's like removing a tumor" mantra.
Matthew 10:22 "and you will be hated by all for my name’s sake. But the one who endures to the end will be saved." - Jesus (said 2,000 years ago and still true today.)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +421/-5
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2016, 12:42:28 AM »
I suppose the "difficult decision" mantra doesn't jive with the "it's just a blob of chemicals! it's like removing a tumor" mantra.

Well, no, it's been put there by religious people, who want to make it a difficult decision. Once I gave my mother in law some scissors for Christmas, but she was offended because giving scissors is bad luck.

http://uncommonscissors.com/index.php?main_page=page&id=2
When you have eliminated the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be bleedn obvious.