Author Topic: Brazil Arrests Cult Leader Victor Arden Barnard,Wanted on Child S e x Charges  (Read 58 times)

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +124/-2
Minnesota prosecutors called Barnard a "master manipulator" who persuaded church members to let their daughters, some as young as 12, live apart from them to fulfill what he preached was their biblical obligation to have s e x with him, NBC News has reported.
Two unnamed girls are now adults but were 12 and 13 at the time they say Barnard assaulted them. They told detectives that Barnard preached that he "represented Christ in the flesh" and that because Jesus "had Mary Magdalene and other women who followed him," it was normal for Barnard to have s e x with them.

Really?  Sounds like the 43,001st denomination has started.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/brazil-arrests-u-s-cult-leader-victor-arden-barnard-wanted-n314976
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +215/-8
I just can't even imagine how parents could fall for a line like that.  Even if I was a cultist I think the desire to protect my kid would override that line of thought.  People are always saying they don't trust government, cops, schools, etc.  But give me your daughters so I can have sex with them for God just sounds fine?
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Jag

• Reader
  • Darwins +226/-7
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
I remember when this hit the local news. Quite the scandal in a small farming community. Child sexual abuse surfaces with disturbing regularity in this state. Incest is a big recognized-but-but-discussed problem in outstate. Really big - and the population leans hard to the right. For a long time, Minnesota was[1] a pipeline for funneling girls into prostitution in part because of the regularity of transport between MN and Chicago.[2]

From someone who says he is a former member of this group: blog post from 2009, former member. I have no real reason (other than it's the internet) to think this isn't legit.
 1. it likely still is
 2. Some really unexpected stuff happens in North Dakota (Fargo in particular) as well, for similar reasons - it's not a place that would leap to mind as a criminal hotbed of activity but a significant mount of commercial traffic passes through.
“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

Offline OccamsRazor

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Interesting that they refer to him as a "cult" leader, yet he was using Christian theology to do this stuff.

Minnesota prosecutors called Barnard a "master manipulator" who persuaded church members to let their daughters, some as young as 12, live apart from them to fulfill what he preached was their biblical obligation to have sex with him, NBC News has reported.

They told detectives that Barnard preached that he "represented Christ in the flesh" and that because Jesus "had Mary Magdalene and other women who followed him," it was normal for Barnard to have sex with them.

Yet, if this was a Catholic priest they wouldn't have called him a "cult leader."
"Oh wearisome condition of humanity!
Born under one law, to another bound;
Vainly begot, and yet forbidden vanity;
Created sick, commanded to be sound."
Richard Fulke Greville