Author Topic: Why would God fear your curiosity?  (Read 6891 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Why would God fear your curiosity?
« Reply #203 on: April 05, 2012, 12:49:29 PM »
Where did you respond to this question:
What's the difference between your claims and those of a nutjob?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #204 on: April 05, 2012, 12:54:12 PM »
No, I just can't prove it. I still believe.

So you've imagined a qualification for belief that would make it impossible for you to determine your claim's own truth from its falsehood.

And this is not the definition of being delusional how?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline MonicaLynn

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #205 on: April 05, 2012, 12:57:50 PM »
I have to go. I just received news that my grandmother passed. Going to meet my sisters and mom. Talk to you guys later.
Only here to befriend and exchange ideas. I do believe in God, but i don't think you're going to hell.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #206 on: April 05, 2012, 01:01:05 PM »
Once again,Monica. Please learn to use the quoting function.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #207 on: April 05, 2012, 01:02:11 PM »

Without proof, the belief is false.

So, as Omen said, the fact that your beliefs are false is not a problem for you.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #208 on: April 05, 2012, 01:10:36 PM »
I am not intentionally using anything o be dishonest. It is difficult to explain something of this nature, and I am doing my best, bear with me please. Also, I do not claim to know scripture better than anyone else. I only know what is revealed to me as applicable in my everyday life as I look for answers, and these are the things I try to share. If they are received as dishonesty, perhaps they are intended for someone else. I'm just talking, that's all.

I think that, since or human ears cannot hear God literally ( hence you are probably crazy if you think you did. Even when He spoke in the bible, people thought it was thunder), e speaks through people. You can discern who is really there or Gods purposes and not their own because they will have certain traits that areprevelant in their personalities. These are love, joy, self-control, kindness, peace, patience, goodness, gentleness, faithfulness.

OK, Monica, I know this may seem dogpiling, but bear with me.

Do agree that people lie, hallucinate, and exaggerate?

If the answer is yes, then how are humans supposed to differentiate between true claims and untrue claims, other than by using logic and evidence?

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #209 on: April 05, 2012, 04:23:57 PM »
I have to go. I just received news that my grandmother passed. Going to meet my sisters and mom. Talk to you guys later.

Ouch.  My condolences.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +824/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #210 on: April 05, 2012, 04:36:06 PM »
I believe that my shelter doggie is the reincarnation of Jackie Chan. Some people think that Jackie Chan is not dead, but I believe he is dead, and he has been reincarnated as my doggie.

I can't prove that Jackie Chan is dead. I can't prove that reincarnation from humans to dogs is possible. I can't prove that Jackie Chan has been reincarnated as my doggie. I still believe. I will now proceed to worship Jackie Chan in the person of my doggie.

Now, MonicaLynn;
Is it reasonable for me to believe that my dog is actually Jackie Chan? Do you buy this line of "reasoning"? Are you going to join me in the worship of my dog? Is this the way a reasonable adult decides what is true and what is false? That is exactly what you are saying to us, MonicaLynn. You are telling us that you worship Jackie Chan in the form of my doggie. And because you prayed sincerely enough to Jackie Chan, my doggie came to you and gave you evidence for your faith. And that is why you believe.[1]
 1. Sorry to hear about your grandmother.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Johnny Spunkypants

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #211 on: April 05, 2012, 04:38:28 PM »
To answer the OP question, God doesn't fear curiosity. He welcomes curiosity.

God bless you all and your families.
I'm not here to defend my views. I'm here simply to give my two cents.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #212 on: April 05, 2012, 04:39:58 PM »

Hi Johnny.  Thanks for cumming.
Religion. It's given people hope in a world torn apart by religion." -- Charlie Chaplin

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
« Reply #213 on: April 05, 2012, 04:43:58 PM »

Like when A&E ate from a tree? It certainly welcomed their curiosity. Or when people eat shrimp or wear mixed fabrics? Those people were greatly rewarded, am I right? Eternity in hell. There's no greater reward.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #214 on: April 05, 2012, 04:59:42 PM »

The op specifically pointed to the insular nature of religious indoctrination, not necessarily about a god fearing curiosity and that was just a rhetorical device.

Do you have a specific response to:

It's a common trait of most religions that they indoctrinate children who are too young to know better, discourage scientific education, censor and forbid certain books, and generally discourage or outright condemn you for asking difficult questions about your religion. Faith, which is not knowledge in any sense of the word, but is belief without evidence and often belief in the face of opposing evidence, is hailed as among the highest of human virtues.

So I want to ask you theists this question, don't you find that a little strange? Why would God fear your curiosity? If God exists, shouldn't your thirst for knowledge simply discover more and more evidence and confirm your belief? Why would God discourage that?
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline ILOVEYOU

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-76
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #215 on: April 05, 2012, 05:19:34 PM »
To the " believer" judging you:

You are not doing he work of the Lord if you behave this wy towards people. We are cursed if we " cause these people to stumble" read your new testament again. It would be better for you to be thrown into water with a stone around your neck than to do what you are doing. You represent the almighty God, and if you are not prepared to bare that burden in grace and love, I suggest you leave forums like this one alone for the moment and go read up on grace!

Excuse me. Just who do you think you are...? I have hurt no one and you are making a vague assumption. I have done nothing here but reach out to these people in love. Treating them as Brothers and Sisters. Sharing my faith. I have hurt no one. I repeat... I have not shown any hatred here, not have  I rejected anyone.

I am well aware of grace and  I do not need you to tell me what it is. Here is a thought. Why don't you go back over and please read what it is I wrote before you start rebuking people on false accusations.

And if by chance you were not directing this toward me, then please disregard.

And please don't put yourself upon a pedestal here. You are no better than I and I am loved by GOD just as you are.

Please feel free to look at all of my posts. And if you still feel I am hurting people, then get back with me. I have done nothing but reach out to everyone here out of love. And if anything at all, I know this it what Jesus Christ would want.

And by the way, I strive everyday to love everyone I come across as I know GOD loves me. Just as GOD grace was/ is sufficient for me. It is sufficient for them as well. I have never put myself upon a pedestal here. In fact, declared that I may have been worse. But only GOD knows and His judgment is sufficient.

I have been a voice of hope and I will continue to do so for those who need it. And I will always declare the goodness of The Lord. And I will always focus on what people need and that is the love of Jesus Christ. I by no means can save anyone but only GOD saves. The Lord Jesus Christ is our Savior. So please forgive me if I seem a little irritated. It's not always peachy you know.

Go look into a mirror. And tell yourself the same thing you just told me, OK. Good.....

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #216 on: April 05, 2012, 05:25:50 PM »

Hi Johnny.  Thanks for cumming.

Hahaha, yes! Cumming. I like it. Because of my name. Nice one.

Peace to you.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #217 on: April 05, 2012, 05:27:18 PM »

Like when A&E ate from a tree? It certainly welcomed their curiosity. Or when people eat shrimp or wear mixed fabrics? Those people were greatly rewarded, am I right? Eternity in hell. There's no greater reward.

That's a good point, I see what you're getting at. I also reject christianity.

Blessings to you and your loved ones.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #218 on: April 05, 2012, 05:28:53 PM »

Do you have a specific response to:

It's a common trait of most religions that they indoctrinate children who are too young to know better, discourage scientific education, censor and forbid certain books, and generally discourage or outright condemn you for asking difficult questions about your religion. Faith, which is not knowledge in any sense of the word, but is belief without evidence and often belief in the face of opposing evidence, is hailed as among the highest of human virtues.

So I want to ask you theists this question, don't you find that a little strange? Why would God fear your curiosity? If God exists, shouldn't your thirst for knowledge simply discover more and more evidence and confirm your belief? Why would God discourage that?

Not just yet. Thanks for bring it to my attention.

I wish you peace and prosperity.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
« Reply #219 on: April 05, 2012, 05:33:11 PM »
That's a good point, I see what you're getting at. I also reject christianity.

Then what? Greek pantheon?
I'm willing to bet there isn't a single theistic religion out there that doesn't have the message "knowledge is bad" embedded in its myths.

Blessings to you and your loved ones.

Protip: Don't post this. It sounds incredibly condescending (IMO).
We choose our own gods.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #220 on: April 05, 2012, 05:35:31 PM »

Protip: Don't post this. It sounds incredibly condescending (IMO).

This is who I am. My intention is to bring positivity, not to condescend. I hope you're going to be ok with that.

Peace.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +824/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #221 on: April 05, 2012, 05:36:13 PM »
....And please don't put yourself upon a pedestal here. You are no better than I and I am loved by Jackie Chan just as you are.[1]

Please feel free to look at all of my posts. And if you still feel I am hurting people, then get back with me. I have done nothing but reach out to everyone here out of love. And if anything at all, I know this it what my doggie would want.

And by the way, I strive everyday to love everyone I come across as I know Jackie Chan loves me. Just as Jackie Chan's grace was/ is sufficient for me. It is sufficient for them as well. I have never put myself upon a pedestal here. In fact, declared that I may have been worse. But only Jackie Chan knows and His judgment is sufficient.

I have been a voice of hope and I will continue to do so for those who need it. And I will always declare the goodness of The Chan. And I will always focus on what people need and that is the love of my doggie. I by no means can save anyone but only Jackie Chan saves. The Lord my doggie is our Savior. So please forgive me if I seem a little irritated. It's not always peachy you know.

[I tried to insert my favorite Jackie Chan image here but it would not work. Feel free.]
 1. Jackie Chan has kicked more a$$es than anyone on this board, and has still done far less evil and far more good than any god. Therefore he is worthy of our worship and devotion.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:39:05 PM by nogodsforme »
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
« Reply #222 on: April 05, 2012, 05:39:25 PM »
This is who I am. My intention is to bring positivity, not to condescend. I hope you're going to be ok with that.

The very fact that you think we need your "positivity" is condescending, so no; I'm not OK with that.
We choose our own gods.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #223 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:16 PM »

The very fact that you think we need your "positivity" is condescending, so no; I'm not OK with that.

I think everyone in the world is in much need of positivity. As I say I'm not being condescending so please don't take it the wrong way.

Peace.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +279/-36
« Reply #224 on: April 05, 2012, 05:46:08 PM »
I think everyone in the world is in much need of positivity.

I think you're in need of a metaphorical punch in the face. To each his own.

As I say I'm not being condescending so please don't take it the wrong way.

Correction: You claim you're not trying to be condescending. But you are. My advice is to stop it before the smites start coming in.
"If you don't want people to think you're condescending, then you shouldn't say condescending things."
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 05:49:21 PM by Lucifer »
We choose our own gods.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #225 on: April 05, 2012, 05:58:24 PM »

I think you're in need of a metaphorical punch in the face. To each his own. You claim you're not trying to be condescending. But you are. My advice is to stop it before the smites start coming in.
"If you don't want people to think you're condescending, then you shouldn't say condescending things."

To each his own, yes. I'm sorry you feel that way.

Peace.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #226 on: April 05, 2012, 06:55:51 PM »

Hahaha, yes! Cumming. I like it. Because of my name. Nice one.

Peace to you.

It was that, or ask you who's the poor git who does your laundry.
I have better material.  I usually save it for the weekend, though.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #227 on: April 05, 2012, 06:59:49 PM »

It was that, or ask you who's the poor git who does your laundry.
I have better material.  I usually save it for the weekend, though.

My maid does it. And she's very well paid, for obvious reasons. I look forward to the weekend.

Peace.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
« Reply #228 on: April 05, 2012, 07:09:55 PM »
Excuse me. Just who do you think you are...? I have hurt no one and you are making a vague assumption. I have done nothing here but reach out to these people in love. Treating them as Brothers and Sisters. Sharing my faith. I have hurt no one. I repeat... I have not shown any hatred here, not have  I rejected anyone.

On the contrary, not only have you treated us like crap, but we told you about it.  You have such a lack of basic empathy that you offer a vague 'apology' as you continually repeat the same behavior.  You've been condescendingly arrogant, assuming your own grandiose authority to literally talk for your god as you dismiss individuals with pleaded and demeaning qualifications simply for no more reason than you don't want to entertain their question or conjecture.  People have greeted you nothing but kindness early on and even welcoming you as a equal, then they peppered you with questions for the many unsupported assertions you've made.  Your response was to become increasingly emotionally agitated, as you yourself couldn't show enough dignity to us to treat us like 'brothers' as you ignored questions and trampled over contradictions you've made repeatedly without explanation.  Your psychotic and total lack of human empathy reached a nice peak when you began hatefully accusing us of mistreating you, yet no one had done anything except take you task repeatedly over what you claim and hold you accountable.  Not a single solitary person insulted, attacked, mocked, or anything; you totally imagined it out of the deranged psychosis of your own hateful polemics.  You're 'love' is a superficial platitude, delivered as a stop gap whenever someone points out that your beliefs in themselves are incredibly hateful or xenophobic to the core.  You wear it like a shroud to justify your own mistreatment of others as you incessantly imagine your own vain persecution.  If anything you've given us every reason to not take you seriously and to not believe Christianity.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #229 on: April 05, 2012, 07:14:39 PM »

The green text indicates that I am speaking to you as a mod.

Johnny, please don't post random nonsense into a thread. This is not a soapbox for you to just spout whatever you feel like. If you have nothing relevant to add to the discussion, please don't.

If you do have something to add that is relevant, welcome to the forum.

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #230 on: April 05, 2012, 07:18:18 PM »
Alzael, I take your point. Ice Monkey and I got carried away with trivialities / pleasantries and we didn't mean to derail the thread. Apologies.

Peace.

Offline Ice Monkey

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +5/-0
  • Fund schools. Tax pot.
« Reply #231 on: April 05, 2012, 07:21:34 PM »
I'm sorry.  I forgot myself.

Johnny, you're an idiot!