Author Topic: Why would God fear your curiosity?  (Read 7435 times)

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
  • God ?...Don't even get me started !
Re: Why would God fear your curiosity?
« Reply #58 on: March 27, 2012, 07:06:20 AM »

The god concept is simply a mind projection that is an explanation of humanities fears, credulity, and ignorance, and especially, of what humanity would love to be and experience.

Wrong. The God lie is a conspiracy devised by sociopaths to enslave the masses.

Wrong ? ..Hardly.

Carry on though oh most honorable sage  ;)

"I believe that there is no God. I'm beyond atheism"....Penn Jillette.

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
« Reply #59 on: March 27, 2012, 07:36:14 AM »
OK guys. We are going to have to just agree to disagree at this point.

So does this mean that you're done here at WWGHA ?

I sure hope not, but please don't go running off and start a new thread or join one. You need to stay here if you're not leaving and answer some questions that have been put to you and make some of your points perfectly clear.

And please stop the preaching. Can you not use reason when presenting your points ? If your god created you with a faculty of reason then surely you can use it in his defence ? Or was his creating humans with reasoning capabilities a trick so as to ensure that many would end up on the road to perdition ? Interesting question isn't it ?

Did this hidden god give us a faculty of reason to doubt him and ensure a population for hell, or as a powerful weapon to prove his existence ? Why then is faith in him required ?

If reason was given to us by an all powerful god to prove his existence then all would have no choice but to believe. Since billions have not believed there is nothing left to conclude but that either god is not omnipotent and created a faulty faculty, or its is indeed a perfect faculty that is a means to his ends--that being the intentional and desired fall of a predetermined part of the human race. If the latter then god is a tyrant at this point.

Do you see how reasoning works now ?

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2012, 08:00:37 AM »
ILY please actually answer some questions. This avoiding the questions gets annoying. I'm not sure if you noticed but your answers are literally the same for every question regardless of what the question asks... thats not answering.

If you were to ask me what 1+1 is, and I responded with "jello"
then you asked me why Half Baked is my favorite movie, and I responded with "jello"
so on and so forth wouldnt you become annoyed?

Well, your answers amount to "jello"

I do understand the answers are a difficult pill to swallow and Christians dont like to answer them (as I found out when I went to "Bible Study" last week and literally 15 minutes of the hour and a half I was there was actually about studying the bible... then another hour and a half wasted as the teacher refused to answer hardly any questions honestly 1 on 1). But you should use that opportunity to reassess your beliefs. Just because you believe and have faith that "jello" is the answer to 1+1 doesnt make it so. And teaching your children that "jello" is the answer to 1+1 is irresponsible because one day in school his/her classmates are going to ask them to prove that "jello" is the answer to 1+1. Theyre response that god will reveal it to their classmates will be received with ridicule. Furthermore, god (if he existed) gave you a brain, not to keep your head from floating away when he sent a strong breeze, he'd be disappointed in EVERY christians critical thinking.

You ever think he placed all this bullshit in front of you to see if you would use the gifts he gave you (critical thought, reasoning) or if you'd just be a blind follower, a sheep?

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #61 on: March 27, 2012, 08:48:04 AM »
If your son or daughter was to come to you one day and tell you that they no longer believed whatever you had taught them, how would you react?

IDK.. Good question. I suppose I would handle it the best way I know how by trusting In GOD..... But just as GOD is faithful to me, He is faithful and just to my family as well. He keeps His promises.

So, that isn't something I am worried about because GOD is real.

Yeah.  I bet that's what Abraham said.  Or Job, perhaps.  As jaybwell points out, your god DOES have a habit of destruction-testing his most devout followers.  You may want to be careful what your god may decide to do to you.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: March 27, 2012, 01:35:04 PM »

The god concept is simply a mind projection that is an explanation of humanities fears, credulity, and ignorance, and especially, of what humanity would love to be and experience.

Wrong. The God lie is a conspiracy devised by sociopaths to enslave the masses.

Wrong ? ..Hardly.

Carry on though oh most honorable sage  ;)

There's little hope for a great awakening of the "Sheeple" unless the chickens come home to roost for each of them personally in a very bad way. Still that's no gaurentee of enlightenment for the willfully ignorant Authoritarian worshippers. Case in point, My rightwing brother is one of these Authoritarian worshippers. he lived in California during the brown outs, black outs and orchestrated price gouging by Enron. His heroes, Bush and Cheney, did nothing while he couldn't afford the use the air conditioner or washer and dryer. He searched for an explanation of his plight and he got it from his usual source, Bill O'Reilly and Rush Limbaugh,
It was all the fault of Grey Davis and the Environmentalists. So he went right out and voted for Arnold.
For the most part the sheeple will continue to follow those responsible for their lack of health care, outsourced job, high gas heating bills, student loan cuts, Social Security cuts, medicare cuts, high drug prices, high interest rates, dead or maimed soldier offspring, etc...
The Authoritarians always have a scapegoat ready to hoist up the flag pole and the deluded accept it without thinking. It's the Gays, It's the Liberals, It's Hollywood, the rappers, the bloggers, the feminists, the environmentalists, welfare queens, the Muslims, the Jews, the Blacks, the Hispanics, the French, the Liberal media, the terrorists, the immigrants, the unions, the teachers, the athiests or the old stand by when things get rough, Bill Clinton's blowjob.

http://www.smirkingchimp.com/thread/john-w-dean/2030/david-kuos-book-tempting-faith-the-authors-agenda-the-authoritarian-behavior-he-reports-and-the-white-ho
 ;)
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #63 on: March 28, 2012, 12:11:24 PM »
There's a good reason to fear curiosity.. "He" had to fix his first fuckup with the woman/rib incident then the flood thing then the whole torturing his only son and nailing the zombie to the cross and still holds the fire threat over our heads... At what point does this god just come clean and admit to not being quite as perfect as "he" claims??
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Chaldaea

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #64 on: March 28, 2012, 12:48:59 PM »
I think it might not be so much "god" fearing curiosity as priests seeing the flaws in their religion and discouraging curiosity because they know where it will lead.  While I personally do not believe, I can see how religion helps people.  But too much of anything can be bad for you...

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #65 on: March 29, 2012, 03:43:16 AM »
Welcome to the forum Chaldaea.

I think it might not be so much "god" fearing curiosity as priests seeing the flaws in their religion and discouraging curiosity because they know where it will lead.

I know that. Yet again, I am asking theists.

We know why you shouldn't look behind the curtain, but I want theists to think about it.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #66 on: March 29, 2012, 06:29:29 AM »
The emporers threads have been unraveling. Despereux the little mouse has tied the rats up with it and the rats are gnawing away.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #67 on: March 29, 2012, 01:55:41 PM »
Maybe Yahweh is more like Tinkerbell than we know.  If we people stop believing and don't clap for 'im, he'll just...disappear.

Offline afroteli

• Novice
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #68 on: March 29, 2012, 10:23:35 PM »
It's a common trait of most religions that they indoctrinate children who are too young to know better, discourage scientific education, censor and forbid certain books, and generally discourage or outright condemn you for asking difficult questions about your religion. Faith, which is not knowledge in any sense of the word, but is belief without evidence and often belief in the face of opposing evidence, is hailed as among the highest of human virtues.

So I want to ask you theists this question, don't you find that a little strange? Why would God fear your curiosity? If God exists, shouldn't your thirst for knowledge simply discover more and more evidence and confirm your belief? Why would God discourage that?
God does not discourage curiosity some Christians may misrepresent but not God Himself

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #69 on: March 29, 2012, 11:48:04 PM »
It's a common trait of most religions that they indoctrinate children who are too young to know better, discourage scientific education, censor and forbid certain books, and generally discourage or outright condemn you for asking difficult questions about your religion. Faith, which is not knowledge in any sense of the word, but is belief without evidence and often belief in the face of opposing evidence, is hailed as among the highest of human virtues.

So I want to ask you theists this question, don't you find that a little strange? Why would God fear your curiosity? If God exists, shouldn't your thirst for knowledge simply discover more and more evidence and confirm your belief? Why would God discourage that?
God does not discourage curiosity some Christians may misrepresent but not God Himself

So god is cool with scientists discovering that the bible is inaccurate? Re: age of the earth, great flood, germ theory, genetics, human origins, composition of stars, etc, etc.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline albeto

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #70 on: March 30, 2012, 12:42:18 AM »

There is no independent, objective resource by which to measure if one is representing "God" accurately or not.  In short you, just like ever other religious person on the face of the planet, use your own experiences and beliefs as the litmus for another's accuracy.  For this reason, those very people you consider misrepresenting God, will genuinely make the same claim about you. 

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #71 on: March 30, 2012, 08:43:51 AM »
I'm not sure he meant misrepresenting God or misrepresenting the bible or what. His sentence wasn't very clear.

Would you mind clarifying what you mean Afroteli. Some Christians misrepresent what?
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
« Reply #72 on: March 30, 2012, 08:57:20 AM »

??????

However-- it's true...according to the holy babble, god loves curiosity, but, only when it is directed towards him positively. He also adores when we gain knowledge, but, only when it's knowledge of him.

Step outside of those boundries--according to the famous ancient Jewish carpenter--and you better oil and nicely season yourself up and get ready to be put on the eternal grill.

Come on man  &) .....have you seriously thought about the contradiction that exists between what your supposed loving god is and the reality that you currently live in ??

You do realize that your trying to live the life of a supposed ancient rebellious and revolutionary Jew who was simply starting a new religion--don't you ? Your bucking the realities of the present and the future to live in the past........Does it get any more ridiculous than that ?

But I get it--you're confused about the whole mess and you've simply fucked up the ancient lifestyle your supposed to be living, you can't grasp deeply at all what your reading and being told, and now your running on emotions and simply hoping for the best by swinging and flailing away at atheists with those very doctrines and teachings that you can't even grasp.

Good luck with that--but seriously, you need to think about what your doing. 

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #73 on: March 30, 2012, 11:36:00 AM »

At least we've got another theist in here that knows the mind of God.

FWIW, I don't think God is afraid of our curiosity, but we should be afraid of his intolerance of it.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #74 on: March 30, 2012, 01:04:45 PM »
I'm curious..just how often does god shower? He seems to have stunk up the job.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #75 on: April 01, 2012, 06:00:50 AM »

Please don't post things like that in my threads. Maybe others don't mind, but I do. It's off-topic, doesn't contribute, and just derails the thread.

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +413/-8
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #76 on: April 02, 2012, 09:36:44 AM »

Please don't post things like that in my threads. Maybe others don't mind, but I do. It's off-topic, doesn't contribute, and just derails the thread.

So to bring the thread back to the topic at hand:
The type of theist that you are directing your question to would probably disagree with your use of the word 'fear'.  They don't see it as god 'fearing' curiosity, but rather being 'hurt' by curiosity.  This theist's conception of god involves a relationship with god, and they largely extend their expectations of normal relationships with relationships with god.  Curiosity and questioning within a relationship can be healthy but can also be a sign of *distrust* - so, for someone like ILOVEYOU, the act of questioning certain things is akin to distrust, and distrust is tantamount to outright rejection and a willful attack.

I suspect that ILOVEYOU and other like-minded theists don't think of themselves as having any lack of curiosity - they think they are just as curious as most everyone else.  But to them, asking certain questions of god becomes equivalent to one lover constantly asking their partner 'are you cheating on me'?  It isn't so much a question then as an attack, or at the very least a sign of distrust that puts into question their love in the first place.  To make it even harder, however, the entity-in-question is capable of reading minds (or, if you will, looking into the 'heart' of the theist).  Just *thinking* about the question amounts to actually asking the question, which amounts to looking like a form of distrust, which amounts to causing actual harm to god, etc.

For many theists, *particularly* the ones you want answering your question, they will simply feel that your question is invalid.  God does not fear curiosity.  You just shouldn't be curious.  He's kinda sensitive that way.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #77 on: April 02, 2012, 11:21:34 AM »
I should have prefaced my response with the premise of something that doesn't exist in the first place has no fear to the premise of a god fearing me is as ridiculous as the Easter Bunny cowering in fear that I might find its secret hidden hard boiled decorated eggs. I find the premise of god fearing me as silly. Sorry if I sound flippant, but that's the atheist in me.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #78 on: April 02, 2012, 05:26:01 PM »
I'm am completely flummoxed why a god who didn't like curiousity would create such a curious creature as human kind.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +925/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #79 on: April 02, 2012, 05:47:04 PM »
I'm am completely flummoxed why a god who didn't like curiousity would create such a curious creature as human kind.

And to then expect that creature to suppress all curiosity about its supposed creator. &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline ILOVEYOU

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-76
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #80 on: April 04, 2012, 11:40:08 PM »
so, for someone like ILOVEYOU, the act of questioning certain things is akin to distrust, and distrust is tantamount to outright rejection and a willful attack.

I suspect that ILOVEYOU and other like-minded theists don't think of themselves as having any lack of curiosity - they think they are just as curious as most everyone else.  But to them, asking certain questions of god becomes equivalent to one lover constantly asking their partner 'are you cheating on me'?  It isn't so much a question then as an attack, or at the very least a sign of distrust that puts into question their love in the first place.  To make it even harder, however, the entity-in-question is capable of reading minds (or, if you will, looking into the 'heart' of the theist).  Just *thinking* about the question amounts to actually asking the question, which amounts to looking like a form of distrust, which amounts to causing actual harm to god, etc.

For many theists, *particularly* the ones you want answering your question, they will simply feel that your question is invalid.  God does not fear curiosity.  You just shouldn't be curious.  He's kinda sensitive that way.

Really...?

OK then, I guess if it makes you feel better at the end of the day. I could tell you that you are wrong but what good would that do...? It wouldn't matter anyway. Would it...?

So you you don't believe in GOD. What can I really do about that except by living a good life and setting a good example...? I can't make anyone here a believer. I could tell you all day long but it doesn't do any good. You guys all think I'm nuts but I really don't even care anymore. Not that I don't care what you think, it's just that I've heard it all before. Countless times.

So OK.... what else is there really left to say...?

It is my hope that GOD will bless you.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburgerâ„¢
« Reply #81 on: April 05, 2012, 12:45:08 AM »
I can't make anyone here a believer.

You could, if God was real.

I could tell you all day long but it doesn't do any good.

That's because we have other religions telling us all day long, as well, so we have to make a judgement that they are all full of shit, because they all seem to have the same characteristic of not being able to come up with anything real.

You guys all think I'm nuts

No more nuts than anyone else who believes things that aren't real.

http://www.organicsurvivalistsite.com/water-purification-and-storage/5-methods-of-purifying-water

I bumped into this idiot, yesterday. She believes that Russians designed a bit of cardboard that you can put underneath water, and it purifies it, by resonating with it.

but I really don't even care anymore.

That's the way to go. That way, you don't have to bother thinking.

Not that I don't care what you think, it's just that I've heard it all before. Countless times.

And ignored it, all, even though you are incorrect.

Admit you are wrong.

It is my hope that you are worshiping the correct God.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #82 on: April 05, 2012, 03:25:54 AM »

You could, if God was real.

A lot more real that any support from Atheists!

Ask Madalyn O'Hair!

[/quote]

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline gonegolfing

• Reader
  • Darwins +23/-2
« Reply #83 on: April 05, 2012, 07:52:41 AM »

OK then, I guess if it makes you feel better at the end of the day. I could tell you that you are wrong but what good would that do...? It wouldn't matter anyway. Would it...?

None. You haven't proved at all that we're wrong. No, it wouldn't matter--why would it matter to us that a person is making completely baseless claims without evidence ? Reality matters to us.

So you you don't believe in GOD. What can I really do about that except by living a good life and setting a good example...? 

Correct--and just as we are, and do so without a god belief controlling our minds.

Correct. But it's not just that--we do not want a new belief...we want the truth...and we want the truth by observation, evidence and experience. Incoherent ideas about phantoms and spirits, without supportive evidence, do not interest us and shouldn't interest the rational mind.

Correct. Thank goodness you're getting it. Until the evidence is there it never would, or will.

You guys all think I'm nuts but I really don't even care anymore.

Incorrect. We do know however, that you are suffering from a unique and debilitating mental abnormality based on your credulity, fear, ignorance and emotions. You should care.

Making that statement is very much like the idiot, in a village of idiot's, who claims he doesn't care what people think of him, his behaviour, and his village--and will go on if need be and explain that their idiocy is justified because he's amongst like minded mentally abnormal people and therefore what others outside of the village think of him and his kind is irrelevant.   

Not that I don't care what you think, it's just that I've heard it all before. Countless times.

Bullshit. If you cared what we think, you would look past your weaknesses and your opinions of us, and see that we're correct in our reasons for nonbelief. We couldn't give a rats ass if you become an atheist, but we do care that you acknowledge that our reasoning is sound and that your beliefs cannot stand up against it. That's it, nothing more nothing less.

You're weakness in believing is not our bone of contention. You believe at your own expense. Our position is based on the incoherence and lack of evidence for the god hypothesis itself. So stop letting your mind think that it's you we're exposing as a fraud, and start realizing that it's the god idea that we're exposing and giving a good thumping to. 

Nothing.

&)

Hope is good. False hope is useless. Hope in action is the best. I would imagine that most here don't need any special blessing and that we're all comfortable and happy with our lives. Why don't you instead, slip a cheque in the mail for a worthwhile child's charity....that would truly bring some hope to those who really need it.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2012, 07:55:21 AM by gonegolfing »

Offline MonicaLynn

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #84 on: April 05, 2012, 07:59:12 AM »
My understanding is that God does not fear anything. Our curiosity included. The bible actually says that we should be wise and knowledgable. How could we achieve any of that without curiosity? I have studied other religions and decided on followings he Hod of the bible. Not a specific religion per se, though I go to a church or fellowship, I find people are many times over wrong or just ignorant of what the bible really says. I believe for instance, because of scripture I have studied, that people of other religions will still go to heaven.many Christians would freak over this, but if God can do anything, why not save people postmortem? If we presented God as loving as he really is, we see that he can and will do anything for us because he loves us.
Only here to befriend and exchange ideas. I do believe in God, but i don't think you're going to hell.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #85 on: April 05, 2012, 08:07:56 AM »
Welcome to the forums Monica!

I believe for instance, because of scripture I have studied, that people of other religions will still go to heaven.many Christians would freak over this, but if God can do anything, why not save people postmortem? If we presented God as loving as he really is, we see that he can and will do anything for us because he loves us.

God is the one damning people to the hell he created for breaking his rules. That isn't love, nor has he ever shown any interest in saving anyone.

Offline MonicaLynn

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-6
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #86 on: April 05, 2012, 08:11:38 AM »
Ps-@ the gawd.... I liked your earlier post :) my husband is a nonbeliever in Jesus and we have a common belief that our children should choose God or themselves. I do not want to " brain wash " them or tell them not to ask questions. I cannot save them with infant baptism either, so they are not baptized. The type of faith tha developes from these " don't question god" ideals is not faith at all. It is ignorance of God's will for us. How many times were questions asked in the bible to God. Specifically in Psalms. These people were usually blessed, not disciplined. Solomon asked God about himself when he asked for wisdom, and he became one of he richest kings in history. If a Christian is scared to question their God, " he" may be themselves and not really God.
Only here to befriend and exchange ideas. I do believe in God, but i don't think you're going to hell.