Author Topic: schizotypal personality disorder and religion by Professor Sapolsky  (Read 2892 times)

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4

Suggested links between schizotypal personality disorder and meta-magical religiosity, and between OCD and ritualistic religious behavior by mainstream orthodox religions by Professor Sapolsky.  Fascinating, imo, and makes sense (to me) of the obsessive "need" to build enormously grand cathedrals throughout Europe, obsessively ritualistic individuals, and the ever-changing line between "us" and "them" based on context and getting it right or getting it wrong socially speaking.  For the record, I suspect challenges like schizotypal personality disorder are like challenges like autism and ADD/ADHD, that is to say, it's a very broad spectrum encompassing everything from the tiniest hints behaviorally to the debilitating condition we think of.  It's not to say theists are crazy or mentally ill, but that those theists who are most celebrated for their "insight," and devotion are likely more influenced by these characteristics. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
Re: schizotypal personality disorder and religion by Professor Sapolsky
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2012, 02:12:46 PM »
Interesting line of thought.  Goes along the line that everything about us is a chemical balance of some sort in our brains.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2012, 02:26:29 PM »
Interesting line of thought.  Goes along the line that everything about us is a chemical balance of some sort in our brains.

This is what started chipping away at my faith.  My son has Asperger's and a brilliant mind.  His focus has been neurology for years.  The more he learned the more he shared with me, the less "sin" made sense. 

Offline shnozzola

• Fellow
  • Darwins +277/-2
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2012, 03:18:52 PM »
Yeah, interesting as far as historically implementing rituals throughout society such as praying toward Mecca 5 times a day, or exorcisms.   But, IMO,  the wisdom  behind religion is currently what keeps it around for many people, such as the importance of unconditional love, or that the main teaching about “sin” is simply not doing those things that we know end up making life harder, such as cheating on a spouse, or driving drunk, or gambling the car money away.

You look at someone like David Koresh from the Branch Davidians, with his “commanded to procreate with multiple wives “ belief,  or his stockpiling of illegal weapons, and you can see why his OCD may have a tough time inspiring current society.

Although it does make me wonder what new OCD traits by the right type of charismatic wannabe leader may still inspire society to go down a crazy path – i.e. - what’s Santorum’s mental history?
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

“Who cares if Kim Jung-Un gets a nuke. Nukes don’t kill people, people kill people.”

Offline albeto

• Reader
  • Darwins +360/-4
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2012, 03:28:05 PM »

Although it does make me wonder what new OCD traits by the right type of charismatic wannabe leader may still inspire society to go down a crazy path – i.e. - what’s Santorum’s mental history?

Exactly.  An evangelical homeschool forum I belong to has taken this road - spiritual warfare, protect the godly at all costs, etc.  I get the impression the owner of this company is fighting this kind of mental challenge and the only thing that makes her feel less anxiety is to tackle it head-on by getting more OCD.  Interestingly, even though most of the forum there isn't similarly challenged, the idea is enough to keep a certain momentum going.  It's fascinating and scary to watch. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +406/-9
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2012, 03:40:46 PM »
I don't see religion providing unconditional love.  That is what you get from your dog.  Religion gives what they call love with many many strings attached.  Sin is another thing that religion has mutated.  Yeah, I can see where not killing might be a good thing to impress on people.  But religion has improved it.  Can't eat meat on Friday for Catholics or it is a mortal sin.  Same kind of sin as murder.  Just one of many examples of crazy things religion puts on people as some kind of sin.  It is guilt that religion is fostering.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 03:30:45 AM »
IMO,  the wisdom  behind religion is currently what keeps it around for many people, such as the importance of unconditional love...

You mean the perceived wisdom, by people who've never actually read their holy books, but just assume they're chock full of wise words because other people tell them they are. In truth there is very little wisdom in the bible beyond a smattering of common sense here and there between genocides and rapes.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT