Author Topic: Knock Knock...  (Read 546 times)

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
Knock Knock...
« on: March 23, 2012, 05:10:19 PM »
...it's the friendly neighbourhood Jehovah's Witnesses! Let us in, we want tea!

What do we make of them? Are they a source of irritation, or do we just accept them as an amusing part of our culture? I don't usually talk to them for too long but I let them know that they have pretty much zero chance of converting me. Mostly they're really friendly, and I can see so much enthusiasm in their faces, but I have to let them down. I feel bad but what can I do. It would be nice if Dawkins or someone would produce some leaflets so I could do a swap with them. I always take theirs and I think it's only fair that I give something back.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +26/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
Re: Knock Knock...
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2012, 05:18:09 PM »
I'm not interested so please leave usually works quite well although I did get a.JW drunk once..hot, stuffy day and he staggered on to wherever a few hours later.
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2012, 05:26:34 PM »
It would be nice if Dawkins or someone would produce some leaflets so I could do a swap with them. I always take theirs and I think it's only fair that I give something back.

you could produce some leaflets. I don't know. Include websites out there like talkorigins.org, skepticbible, evil-bible, WWGHA. Include the main gist of those sites, ask the JW's to visit the sites, whatever. Maybe include some books by atheists authors who make it easy to see the christian god isn't real like that they should check out. I prefer Godless by Dan Barker. I'd stay away from the god delusion because Dawkins is a bit of a controversial figure, and IMO Dan Barker seems to have a more 'friendly' approach.[1] Maybe link to atheist organizations that promote science and reason, like FFRF, JREF, Center for Inquiry, etc. Maybe some youtube channels like CDK007.

I don't know. Get creative. Make your own leaflets.
 1. Not sure how to explain it.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2012, 05:28:30 PM »

you could produce some leaflets. I don't know. Include websites out there like talkorigins.org, skepticbible, evil-bible, WWGHA. Include the main gist of those sites, ask the JW's to visit the sites, whatever. Maybe include some books by atheists authors who make it easy to see the christian god isn't real like that they should check out. I prefer Godless by Dan Barker. I'd stay away from the god delusion because Dawkins is a bit of a controversial figure, and IMO Dan Barker seems to have a more 'friendly' approach.[1] Maybe link to atheist organizations that promote science and reason, like FFRF, JREF, Center for Inquiry, etc. Maybe some youtube channels like CDK007.

I don't know. Get creative. Make your own leaflets.
 1. Not sure how to explain it.

That's actually a great idea!

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +26/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2012, 05:36:43 PM »
Will they have the pictures of the perfect little family kind of staring up?

By the way, the company my dad was a sales rep, trouble shooter before he retired had the JWs as one of his biggest accounts. The company specialized in  artist separated color processes..thid was right before computers pretty much did away with hundreds of thousands of print prepress jobs...
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2012, 05:44:50 PM »
Two devout Jehovah's Witnesses once came to my house while my parents were out last year. I invited them in for tea.

3 hours later, one left an Agnostic, the other an Atheist.

That truly was my greatest moment ever...  &)
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2012, 06:30:22 PM »
Two devout Jehovah's Witnesses once came to my house while my parents were out last year. I invited them in for tea.

Geez, it makes you think just how deep (ie not very) people's views can really be. Good work, soldier.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2012, 06:31:34 PM »
Around here we usually just get a Jehova's Witnesses' visit every couple of years. When you tell them you are not interested and don't want their stuff, they'll stop coming to your door.
On the other hand if you get rid of them by saying "I don't have time now" they will come back on their next tour through the neighborhood, asking if you would like to talk about God this time. Taking notes, the buggers.
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2012, 06:36:28 PM »
Apparently in their booklets there is quite a lot of weird symbolism in the illustrations.

Offline Asmoday

• Reader
  • Darwins +14/-0
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2012, 06:48:05 PM »
Funny enough I have just seen a documentary on Jehova's Witnesses today. Apparently child molestation seems to be running rampant in their ranks. Especially since they have a rule that people can only be judged guilty for something if, apart from the victim, there is also at least one witness of the crime. As we can all imagine, there are not many child molesters who bring an audience along.

Fun fact: In case the elders of a congregation are notified of child molesting going on, there's a standardized form for them to fill out to hand over to the Watchtower. One little point on that form is a field to write down how many of the elders would say that the victim (the molested child) is at fault that it happened or did participate willingly.

Charming, isn't it?
Absilio Mundus!

I can do no wrong. For I do not know what it is.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2012, 06:53:39 PM »
Yes I've heard about that type of thing going on (not the form, just the abuse). Next time they come to my door I'm going to tell them that they're being used to support something which isn't at all what it seems, and that their good intentions are being manipulated. If I believed in god I wouldn't get involved in any religion. You never know who's behind the scenes.

Offline Omen

• Professor
  • Darwins +105/-15
  • One of the fucking bad guys; not friendly, tiger!
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2012, 07:07:36 PM »
Apparently in their booklets there is quite a lot of weird symbolism in the illustrations.

Their books are divided into categorical references to whatever individual they might be addressing.  They'll have pamphlets on 'atheist', 'protestants', 'catholics', or other religious ( non-religious ) ideological beliefs; that supposedly ( according to them ) is supposed to help them proselytize.  However, most of these pamphlets are filled with typical strawmen or outright lies as is the norm in any religious apologetic.

My friend was kicked out of JWs because he refused to stay with his wife who cheated on him.  He was kicked out by the elders.
"Religious faith is the antithesis to knowledge, it is the opposition to education, and it has to act in animosity against the free exchange of ideas.  Why? Because those things are what cause harm to a religions place in society most." - Me

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #12 on: March 24, 2012, 02:49:24 PM »

Geez, it makes you think just how deep (ie not very) people's views can really be. Good work, soldier.

Well I like to think it was just my superior intellect... ;) [/sarcasm]

Yeah they seemed pretty ingrained, it was the 'God of the Gaps' that did it for them.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #13 on: March 24, 2012, 04:10:29 PM »
My friend was kicked out of JWs because he refused to stay with his wife who cheated on him.  He was kicked out by the elders.

It was probably one of the elders that she was cheating with.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +97/-0
  • You know
« Reply #14 on: March 24, 2012, 08:53:27 PM »
They don't come to my door.  Same with the Mormons.  I don't think that they know that they can just walk into my building.  I see the Mormons around the neighborhood though.  And I sometimes see Jehovah's Witnesses handing out the Watchtower magazine thing at the bus station.  I always have headphones on though, so I tend not to get approached.
Nah son...

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #15 on: March 24, 2012, 11:58:33 PM »
Fun fact: In case the elders of a congregation are notified of child molesting going on, there's a standardized form for them to fill out to hand over to the Watchtower. One little point on that form is a field to write down how many of the elders would say that the victim (the molested child) is at fault that it happened or did participate willingly.

Charming, isn't it?

I get that. Forced rape is more traumatic and damaging than consensual sex. The difference should be a consideration in the punishment.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 12:11:34 AM »
I get that.

Just...ewwww. Would you also think it's less of a crime if a man slips someone a rufinol to gain consent? I ask because kids can be pretty easily convinced to consent to any number of absurd things by adults that they trust. The king of pop used "Jesus Juice" to ply his victims so that he wasn't "forcibly" raping them.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 01:58:17 AM »
Would you also think it's less of a crime if a man slips someone a rufinol to gain consent?

No, I don't think that drugging someone so they can't resist is the same as being giving consent. That's a huge leap, and not even remotely what I said. I'm glad you phrased that as a question and asked me what I thought instead of just assuming.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT