Author Topic: Conservatives and human rights  (Read 247 times)

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Conservatives and human rights
« on: March 20, 2012, 04:53:34 PM »
Hypothetically, would it be possible to sue every conservative who comes up with these BS legislations (trying to get women to have large objects shoved into their uteri; having private information disclosed online) for human rights violations?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
Re: Conservatives and human rights
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2012, 04:56:15 PM »
I would think so. Where is the ACLU?  Just keep suing these states into bankruptcy.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2012, 05:06:57 PM »
Hypothetically, would it be possible to sue every conservative who comes up with these BS legislations (trying to get women to have large objects shoved into their uteri; having private information disclosed online) for human rights violations?

No, I doubt it. If they pass a law then it has to go through the courts, all the way to the Supreme Court if needed. They can't be prosecuted for human rights violations, IMHO. (I am not a lawyer).

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2012, 05:11:04 PM »
They can't be prosecuted for human rights violations, IMHO. (I am not a lawyer).

Yeah, that was my guess as well. If they could, I'm pretty sure someone else would've thought of doing it first.
EDIT: I'm also guessing you can't sue the courts, right?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +183/-8
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2012, 05:13:17 PM »
Dems need to get off their ass and vote.  I know...not going to happen...but that would change things.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2012, 05:14:27 PM »
EDIT: I'm also guessing you can't sue the courts, right?

Uh, nope.

Offline Historicity

• Reader
  • Darwins +80/-2
  • (Rama, avatar of Vishnu)
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2012, 05:37:32 PM »
@OP,  NO.

Commonwealth legislators have Parliamentary Privilege to prevent that.

American legislators have Legislative Immunity to prevent that.

The US Supreme Court declared in 1998 that it goes down all the way to city councilmen:
The United States Supreme Court held in Bogan et al. v. Scott-Harris, 523 U.S. 44, 118 S.Ct. 966, 140 L.Ed.2d 79 (1998) that local legislators (i.e. members of a city council and the city mayor) have absolute immunity from personal liability under 42 U.S.C. §1983 ("§1983" actions) when acting in their legislative capacity. Section 1983 provides civil remedies for deprivations of "rights, privileges, or immunities secured by the Constitution and laws" caused by persons acting "under color of any statute, ordinance, regulation, custom, or usage, of any State or Territory or the District of Columbia...."

The ACLU of Ohio says they can sue the state before the Supreme Court:
The ACLU of Ohio said it will sue the state if two abortion-related bills that would restrict a woman's options for terminating pregnancy are approved by the legislature by year's end.
House Bill 79 bars Ohioans from purchasing health insurance which includes abortion coverage. House Bill 125 would ban abortion at the point a fetus' heartbeat can be detected, possibly as early as six weeks after conception and before a woman knows she is pregnant.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 05:40:02 PM by Historicity »