Author Topic: darwins changed  (Read 3307 times)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +787/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Re: darwins changed
« Reply #29 on: March 21, 2012, 06:04:43 PM »
I lost 154,002 darwins too. And I can't walk very well. I'm guessing that makes me unoriginal and lame too!

Smite me if you must magic. I was just starting to like you, but now that I know you spend your days hovering over the thumbs down icon, waiting for any excuse, who cares.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #30 on: March 21, 2012, 06:16:39 PM »
I lost 14 plus, and I think 2 minus.
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #31 on: March 21, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
I lost 154,002 darwins too. And I can't walk very well. I'm guessing that makes me unoriginal and lame too!

Smite me if you must magic. I was just starting to like you, but now that I know you spend your days hovering over the thumbs down icon, waiting for any excuse, who cares.

I call it as I see it. I get smited for far less it seems.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #32 on: March 21, 2012, 08:21:03 PM »

I call it as I see it. I get smited for far less it seems.

Really? Because going down the list of smites and their subsequent reasons, I don't see "bad jokes" as being one of them.

I see a smite for a twatish post, some for dishonesty, some for saying something stupid, but I don't see any as childish and arbitrary as telling a bad joke. So which post was it that got you similiarly smited? If it was legitimately petty fine, if not, then you're just trying to play the martyr card, and rather poorly.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2012, 08:24:00 PM by Alzael »

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #33 on: March 21, 2012, 08:42:17 PM »
Thing with these 'awards' is, they are always going to be rather subjective aren't they? What I consider not worth smiting, others do, and vice versa. In fact, on one of mine I was smited by one user and applauded by another. It's just how it goes.

I thought Screwtapes post was really un-necessary given I had already made the joke ( and it wasn't even a good joke ), so what was he doing other than mocking?

Admittedly, we all tend to be clouded by overall impressions (and I admit Screwtape is not my favourite member here) , so I'll try to not let that happen.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +787/-6
« Reply #34 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:21 PM »
They are subjective. I'm sure each person has their own opinion about how they should used. We seem to tolerate a fairly wide range of acceptable reasons for both up and down votes. You exceeded our sensibilities with this one.

If bad jokes were a crime, my house would be surrounded by a SWAT team right now.

Offline Chronos

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +130/-6
  • Born without religion
    • Marking Time
« Reply #35 on: March 21, 2012, 09:12:56 PM »
When I hit Reply I enjoy the long delay from the server such that by the time the page is returned I forget what I was going to post.  Anway ... I lost karma, but restoring it doesn't matter. Just wondering what other hiccups are in store for us before the database is revitalized.

John 14:2 :: In my Father's house are many mansions: if it were not so, I would have told you. I go to prepare a place for you.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #36 on: March 21, 2012, 09:20:21 PM »

If bad jokes were a crime, my house would be surrounded by a SWAT team right now.

I like your jokes. Almost as good as mine. But don't feel discouraged, Australians are naturally funny. It's hereditary.

( did you know that diarrhoea is hereditary? It runs in your jeans )
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +787/-6
« Reply #37 on: March 21, 2012, 09:27:02 PM »
( did you know that diarrhoea is hereditary? It runs in your jeans )

I came very close to not being subjective over that one. The least they could do is give up thumbs down smilies... ;D

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +270/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #38 on: March 21, 2012, 11:50:19 PM »
Ah, so *that's* what happened to those Darwins!

Before the glitch I was at +39/-0 and currently am at +35/-0, so I'd like 4 of the "plus" flavour, please.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #39 on: March 22, 2012, 06:38:02 AM »
But, it's very easy to fix your Darwins if you know what your totals were, I can edit your profile and fix it. It's amazing that you remember your totals. I have no idea what mine are unless I look at my profile.

The only reason I noticed is because I was at 70-something, and it went down to 60-something (65 at the moment, I think).  If it had dropped from 68 to 65, say, I wouldn't have noticed at all, I think.
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #40 on: March 22, 2012, 07:50:39 AM »
I had just reached 47, thanks to Magic Miles.

I think some ancient history must have been deleted.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #41 on: March 22, 2012, 08:51:04 AM »
Lost 12 pluses and 2 minuses.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
« Reply #42 on: March 22, 2012, 10:28:08 AM »
Did you know that diarrhoea is hereditary? It runs in your jeans.

Incredible.

I think we need to start a thread for bad jokes.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,21963.html

Go wild.
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Avatar Of Belial

• Graduate
  • Darwins +30/-1
  • I'm not an Evil person; I just act like one!
« Reply #43 on: March 22, 2012, 11:59:50 AM »
"You play make-believe every day of your life, and yet you have no concept of 'imagination'."
I do not have "faith" in science. I have expectations of science. "Faith" in something is an unfounded assertion, whereas reasonable expectations require a precedent.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #44 on: March 22, 2012, 12:35:34 PM »
Accounts should be updated now.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #45 on: March 22, 2012, 02:52:37 PM »
Accounts should be updated now.

Whoever said forum administration was boring?

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #46 on: March 22, 2012, 06:36:29 PM »
but now that I know you spend your days hovering over the thumbs down icon, waiting for any excuse, who cares.

He just does that for me.  He is secretly in love with me but cannot bring himself to speak of his love that must not be spoken. 

I thought Screwtapes post was really un-necessary given I had already made the joke ( and it wasn't even a good joke ), so what was he doing other than mocking?

Maybe I hadn't seen your post?  Maybe I saw your icon and thought, "don't care."  Did you ever for a moment consider that it isn't always all about you?

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #47 on: March 22, 2012, 06:38:48 PM »
Whoever said forum administration was boring?

I know! How many people can share the excitement of optimizing a database?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #48 on: March 22, 2012, 06:44:10 PM »

Maybe I hadn't seen your post?  Maybe I saw your icon and thought, "don't care."  Did you ever for a moment consider that it isn't always all about you?

That did occur to me in fact, but then I thought about how many smites you have given me and thought it highly unlikely any of my posts esscape your notice.

Did you see my post? If not, I will gladly ask Hal to remove the smite.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #49 on: March 22, 2012, 06:54:47 PM »
Thing with these 'awards' is, they are always going to be rather subjective aren't they? What I consider not worth smiting, others do, and vice versa. In fact, on one of mine I was smited by one user and applauded by another. It's just how it goes.

Admittedly, we all tend to be clouded by overall impressions (and I admit Screwtape is not my favourite member here) , so I'll try to not let that happen.

So in other words, you made a claim that you didn't bother to support (as per usual).

You were then called on it by someone else and asked to support it (as per usual).

And you are now making an attempt to weasel out from the claim that you made (again, as per usual).

While I will agree that the definition of what may constitute a reason for smiting is rather subjective (hence why it's a bad system), it doesn't actually matter in light of your claim and my request for support.

You made the claim that you had been smited for saying things far less worse than making the bad joke that Screwtape made as an objective statement. I asked you to show where this had happened in support of your claim. So where is this statement that you made that got smited which was far less worse than Screwtapes?

You're only trying to turn it into a subjective thing now that you've been called on it. But even if you want to go that route, which of the ones is it that you subjectively think was smited in such a way? I pointed out the types of things that I've seen you smited for, and none of them seem to fit your claim. So which one is it?

You know Miles, it would be interesting if just once you actually stood by something you said. Instead of turning tail and showing everyone your backside the instant you get called on something, or you get shown to be wrong in a thread. I think it's something you might want to try sometime, if nothing else than for the sake of originality.

It's like playing with a five year old who grabs his toys and runs home crying "I don't want to play with them" everytime things don't go his way.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #50 on: March 22, 2012, 06:57:42 PM »
Did you see my post? If not, I will gladly ask Hal to remove the smite.

No, I didn't.  Smites are like kisses - you cannot take them back. 

Plus, I don't actually care.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #51 on: March 22, 2012, 06:59:35 PM »
Well, at least accept my apologies for my incorrect assumption then.

Go on up you baldhead.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #52 on: March 22, 2012, 07:01:19 PM »
No.

Maybe that will teach you not to kiss people so carelessly.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +180/-73
« Reply #53 on: March 22, 2012, 07:10:59 PM »
I'll do my best to sleep tonight not having obtained your good favour. Hopefully we have enough sleeping pills in the cabinet for the task.
Go on up you baldhead.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +703/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #54 on: March 22, 2012, 07:11:31 PM »
And further more, I smite you for for not using your brain or for misusing it, not for lame jokes.  Make all the lame jokes you want. Just don't say you were possessed by the devil when you made them.

And what makes you think I was joking?  I was hoping to catch Hal on an off day - perhaps he'd had too much to drink[1] or he was distracted by a new caboose[2] - and he would actually give me 154,002 Darwins.  Then, I would be king of the forum and you would be a subject.  Would I be a benevolent king or a tyrant?  Now, we'll never know. 
 1. he has a serious drinking problem
 2. he has a serious model railroading problem
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +425/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #55 on: March 23, 2012, 12:31:52 AM »
IIRC, I was at +107 pre-glitch.  Does anyone know if the glitch removed reasons for applaud/smite as well as the raw numbers?
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Online kcrady

• Reader
  • Darwins +425/-1
  • Your Friendly Neighborhood Cephalopod Overlord
    • My blog
« Reply #56 on: March 23, 2012, 03:09:12 AM »
I counted out the explanations for my Darwins, and there's 81 of them.  I guess this means the glitch stole explanations along with the Darwins themselves.  I checked (by using a Firefox window that had a tab open from pre-glitch), and I did have 107 Darwins.  *Checks some other tabs*  Velkyn had +129, -5, and she's at +107, -6 now.  The 6th smite appears to be recent, but she should get her +129 back. :)  I don't know if anyone else in the threads I have in pre-glitch tabs is missing Darwins or not, but I'll keep those tabs around in case anyone asks.. 
"The question of whether atheists are, you know, right, typically gets sidestepped in favor of what is apparently the much more compelling question of whether atheists are jerks."

--Greta Christina

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #57 on: March 23, 2012, 06:50:44 AM »
Ok fixed kcrady and Velkyn