Author Topic: Black people  (Read 1117 times)

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
Black people
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:24:55 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but black people are brilliant. They're so cool. The way they talk, the way they think, how they express themselves, I'm a big fan of them and their style. And of course the music.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Re: Black people
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:38:27 PM »
Black people who smoke are the kewlest, dude!
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:46:19 PM »
Black people are black people. Some are right dicks, others are pretty cool. No different from anybody else.  ;D
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:28 PM »
You're preaching to the choir here man.  Everyone on this forum is black.  Except for HAL.  He's a robot.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:47 PM »
Black people are black people. Some are right dicks, others are pretty cool. No different from anybody else.  ;D

I don't quite agree. Black folks have a certain something, you know what I'm talking about. They just have a way about them, which I admire.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 08:22:15 PM »
Quote from: rev45
Everyone on this forum is black.

lol, I look white in my avatar...but it's just the light!

Quote from: kymer
I don't quite agree. Black folks have a certain something, you know what I'm talking about. They just have a way about them, which I admire.

Whilst there's different cultures between different types of people and I don't think you can say there's a certain 'something' about them, other than the colour of their skin. I mean compare the African American stereotype, heck, just grab Will Smith, the way he speaks, his culture and his mannerism and how expresses himself is completely different to my black Portuguese friends and my half Jamaican friend and a half Nigerian friend and other black people I'm met here in the UK. I did go to school with a black American and he fit some of the US stereotypes, but not all and he certainly wasn't likeable, I just found him to be really, really annoying. One of my Portuguese friends like rap, so there's one extra similarity between him and Will Smith...not that I think it means anything.

So I am trying to figure out this thing you admire. I just just see them as normal people who may vary in culture, behaviour, personality, backgrounds and mannerisms just like everybody else. Whilst I am sure people might find it flattering you think they're cool, but I try to avoid judging people based on a group mentality, everybody is an individual.[1] ;)
 1. I sound like a God-damn hippy
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 08:42:10 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 08:47:03 PM »
Quote from: rev45
Everyone on this forum is black.

lol, I look white in my avatar...but it's just the light!

Correct! And you can tell I clearly am black by my avatar! (In the heart/mind that is!)

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 08:57:53 PM »
I was born a poor black child..~~Steve Martin

Kymer evidently didn't hang out in my old neighborhood nor spend to many nights locked up in a large urban county jail because he would then know black people hid all the ancient civilizations secret magic pixie dust.
I really wish my friend Tony was here to read this and reply.. Yes, as you may have guessed Tony is black.. So black in fact they named a hole after him.  :laugh:
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +187/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »

What does being black or white have to do with personality?  You are talking about culture, not the people.  If you raise a child of any color, in any culture, they are going to develop a personality reflective of that culture. 

Some people are nice, some people aren't.  Skin color has nothing to do with it. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 09:37:43 PM »
My avatar is that little green box till I log out then it turns to another color.. I've noticed how popular I am because everyone else online copies it. :P

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2012, 12:58:06 PM »
Seppuku...

Look around the world. Black people exist in lots of different countries. But they are mostly very similar. Just like white people are similar. I too see them as normal people, I never said they weren't, but why are you saying they're just normal people? You mean just like white people? I wouldn't say so. White people (many of them anyway, especially anglo saxons) have this thing where they have to paunt everyone as being the same. But we're not, we're different. For example, I remember watching something on tv a while back where on some soap there was a family of asian descent, and someone was saying that if they had them speaking in an indian accent, with hindu artefacts around the house, that would be promoting a stereotype. That's ridiculous. If they're indian, of course they're likely to speak in an accent and have hindu stuff around the house. White people (again, many, not all) want everyone to be like them, lest we be promoting "sterotypes". It's ridiculous. White people feel so guilty about slavery and colonialism that now they want to make up for it by trying to make out that we're all the same, which is rubbish, and shows an obsession with race. People are different. Why can't these anglo saxon folks just accept the differences? Because to do so is a reminder of the past.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2012, 01:45:37 PM »
They're not mostly very similar. My point is there's a whole world of diversity out there, you can't really pin people down with generalisations. If you say you like black people, then you're generalising a trait, yet you've not actually highlighted a trait they share. There's a whole world of different between somebody who's been brought up in America and somebody who's been brought up in Ghana. But also a whole world of difference between somebody brought up in England and somebody brought up in Nigeria. And regardless off all this, everybody is different.

You seem to be trying to emphasise that we should be saying everybody's the same, but at the same time are trying to suggest that black people are mostly very similar. It's not much of a jump. ;)

Though there's no guilt of colonialism here...last time I checked I've never enslaved a black person, I've never denied any black person their liberties nor have I even discriminated against them, what do I have to feel guilty of? I just believe that EVERYBODY is different and can't be grouped by a large generalisation. So by proxy I think it's impossible to favour black people, because what exactly are you favouring? (something you've not actually specified) The colour of their skin?

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2012, 02:09:06 PM »
Me thinks that what is at the heart of the matter is overt oppressive policies tbat keep a huge percentage of black people in poverty and in crime ridden neighborhoods and even entire regions.  I can take it a giant step beyond that and if I had the patience point out policies and laws that to this day keep remnants of Jim Crow in place  ESPECIALLY in inner cities and specifically targeting black men...and we just don't feel good about ourselves knowing almost or even perhaps even more than one in four black men in the US is either in prison, on probation or somehow or another ensnared in the criminal JUST US system. If you don't believe black men receive harsher punishment than their white counterpartd in court go hang out for a day in traffic or drug court. You'll be in for a very rude awakening.
The same also holds true for latino and/or Hispanic men. It's how white America minorities keep a stranglehold on elected office.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2012, 02:45:58 PM »
Unfortunately society hasn't quite come far enough and people are still treated unfairly on grounds of different prejudices. :( I think to an extent we share some of those problems over here...case in point, the 17 year old middle eastern lad who was arrested for making bigoted comments about British soldiers...yet we protect our own home-grown bigots with freedom of expression  &). Guess we live in a big old world of hypocrites and bigots.   :-\

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2012, 03:01:39 PM »
Not only that Seppuku, but we institutionalize our bigotry and hypocrisy to make it the law of the land then deny we're hypocrites and bigots.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2012, 04:09:04 PM »
Seppuku, yes I am generalising. And why not. There's a wide gap between the way people consciously think they should feel, and the way they really feel. There's no conflict in what I'm saying. Yes, people are different, but not so different that generalisations can't be made. I'm spanish, and I have no problem with generalisations because often they're true. Spanish people (and people from spanish speaking countries) really do think and act in a certain way. Not always but there are cultural pattersns. The british have a way too. There is such a thing as a national psyche, what I would call a pool of behaviours and traits which are common in that group, and which each individual draws their own combination from, and often you get the same or similar patterns.

Another point is racism. In britain, they are very very wary indeed about making comments which could be construed as racist, but in other cultures, you don't have that. Here's an example. I was watching spanish tv a while back, and it was some sort of entertainment show with a house band. The bass player was black. Someone on the stage was talking about carrots, and made some joke about if you eat carrots you get a tan. Then he looked at the bass player and made some comment about him having had more than his fair share of carrots. The black guy himself was the first to laugh, and the audience laughed. In britain there would be an outcry, a scandal. Britain is extremely paranoid about racism (I mean white people). I've overheard black people on the street talking about "the white man" in a very casual way, and I like their honesty and openness. They don't have such hangups. By contrast, there are white people who can't even say the word "black" and make themselves look foolish by referring to "coloured people". It's silly.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2012, 04:32:17 PM »
It's the ol double standard at work kymer. I don't know about you funky ass Europeans (jab), but here in the states the double standard has replaced the gold standard. I live in a mostly black part of the formerly white part of town and you know what police do? They more or less protect dope dealers so they can pick off the low hanging fruit of the addicts the dealers sell to and why? They're basically lazy fucks who don't dare risk losing a bust to someone who can afford a decent attorney. The system is rigged to favor those with money, but let Mr Big Business get busted making sure his drug distribution chain gets interrupted and the case quietly vanishes into oblivion.  One of the biggest, if not THE biggest banks in the Carolinas was caught red handed being a money launderer for drug money. Guess how many bankers went off to the hooskow.. You guessed it. Zip, zero, nodda..

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 04:37:52 PM »
It's the ol double standard at work kymer.

Absolutely. Racism is everywhere. However I suggest that there's another type of "racism" (although I wouldn't call it bad, just silly) which is the type that comes from guilt. ie making out that we're all the same rather than embracing our differences, or trying to avoid "stereotypes" when in real life a lot of those stereotypes are true. Black people themselves acknowledge the stereotypes about themselves and agree with a lot of them, and they're not afraid to talk about stereotypes and generalisations about white folks, which I think shows self confidence. If there had never been slavery, none os this would even be an issue and we'd all just say what wew think because it wouldn't matter. The best way to overcome that is to push through it and be ourselves and say what we really think. Better out than in, as they say.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 05:18:08 PM »
That sounds a bit like right wing doublespeak kymer.. "Can't we all just get along and embrace each other?" and then at the same time using Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" myth to divide people.. Well of course everyone on welfare lives high on the hog riding around in Cadillacs, feasting on foodstamp prime rib every night, is black, female, single with AT LEAST 12 kids by 15 fathers....
Insidious, yes... True? It couldn't be further from it...

Perhaps you missed 1980s US style political grandstanding..

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 05:21:59 PM »
I don't know if anyone else has noticed, but black people are brilliant. They're so cool. The way they talk, the way they think, how they express themselves, I'm a big fan of them and their style. And of course the music.

You are so right, kymer. I am so brilliant I refract the light spectrum. And I am black. Well not real jet black, but kinda sorta African American black. A white guy once asked me where were my lips.[1] And I have dreads, so that should count for something. But I have to admit that you are also wrong. I am not cool. I am a nerd. And my daughter runs screaming from the room when I dance.

1. If you want to see some smart satire of racial stereotypes, check out Key and Peele.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 05:46:32 PM »
Wow NGFM.. by those standards I bet you musta been one of Michelle Bachman's thousands of foster kids.  :D

<makes preparations for stern thrashing>  :o

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2012, 06:28:32 PM »
HAL, I'm quoting all of atheola's post because I want to address the general gist of it.

That sounds a bit like right wing doublespeak kymer.. "Can't we all just get along and embrace each other?" and then at the same time using Ronald Reagan's "welfare queen" myth to divide people.. Well of course everyone on welfare lives high on the hog riding around in Cadillacs, feasting on foodstamp prime rib every night, is black, female, single with AT LEAST 12 kids by 15 fathers....
Insidious, yes... True? It couldn't be further from it...

Perhaps you missed 1980s US style political grandstanding..

I'm not familiar with most of what you're referring to. The point I'm making is that people are different, and that there's nothing wrong with acknowledging it. There's no black or white (pun intended), no either / or, there's no conflict in what I'm saying. We're different but equally valid, just like men and women.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:48 PM »
I am not cool. I am a nerd. And my daughter runs screaming from the room when I dance.

Do the mash potato. Then tell me you ain't cool.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +782/-4
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2012, 06:33:33 PM »
I am not cool. I am a nerd. And my daughter runs screaming from the room when I dance.

Do the mash potato. Then tell me you ain't cool.

Does that go with the funky chicken?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2012, 06:39:44 PM »
Yes sir it does. I believe you can see the godfather himself doing both in a little youtube video. It's out there somewhere. I remember seeing a movie years ago where they had BB Kind come on and talk about "blacks without soul". It was pretty funny.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2012, 06:43:57 PM »
Well, both are Motown hits so we're staying with the theme.. Oh wait.. the funky chicken was Chuck Berry.. I believe he was a Memphis product.. Well that tosses a wrench in the works now doesn't it?

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 06:44:31 PM »
NMGFM, this is the BB King clip :

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 07:16:22 PM »
Seppuku, yes I am generalising. And why not.

Because it can be hard to see who exactly you're referring to. In this particular thread I am genuinely confused about what exactly you think is cool about black people. You mentioned culture, speech, thought and music. But there's soooo many things to choose from because your only defining factor here is the colour of somebody's skin. You say they're all pretty much similar and I disagree - I think there's some pretty big differences. If you were little more specific I might have a better idea.

But now you've just mentioned BBKing, I think the blues is pretty damn cool and that video is pretty damn funny.

However, to me the idea of liking black people is nonsensical - not out of some PC brigade (I don't like the view of 'racism' portrayed in my country and I think it can do more harm than good) or out of some double standard of racism, but simply because you can possibly find a trait you can use a brush. Just like I don't think somebody could say, "I like white people" because there's so many things we could be talking about. I get the idea BBKing doesn't like white republican upperclass toffs. ;) 

Hence why I found the topic to be confusing. If it were just you like the aesthetics of somebody having black skin, in which case if it was a particularly attractive feature for, gaze in awe and I hope you find a wonderful black lady (or man) whom you would like in your company and cherish as a loving partner. However, I think nogodsforme is taken, so your mashed potato won't have you scoring with anybody tonight.  :P

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 07:38:04 PM »
Seppuku...

So what if it's hard to see who is being referred to in a generalisation? It's a generalisation, you're not meant to know. It's just a general observation. Countries have national psyches which give rise to certain characteristics, men tend to have certain characteristics, women too, and so do cultures. There's no point in being specific when the whole point of a generalisation is that it's general. Let's stop being politically correct and just admit that black folks are cool. Ask most black people to talk about black people and you'll start to see that they feel the same. They're cool and they know it. And a lot of the stereotypes really are true. Every time I walk past a chicken shop, what do I see mostly? That's right. They'll be the first to tell you that they love fried chicken. They gave us funk, soul, R&B, and until white people start to give us something equally funky, that's just the way it is.

There's nothing wrong with admitting that sterotypes are often true. I'm spanish. It's true, we (spanish speaking people) are laid back, we always want to do things "manana" (I don't know how to make the n with the line on top), and we're the most fun loving people on earth. Listen to columbian music, it's fucking crazy. Listen to salsa, merengue, it's mad. And we're not politically correct, unlike northern europeans, particularly the british. The british themselves (and the germans) are very orderly, and there's a real sense of having to do things "properly", following procedures.  But in Spain, you don't queue up at the post odffice, it's a free for all. It's a cultural thing.

You want to know what's cool about black people? This :

And this :

It's no coincidence. So let's just all get down. By the way, it's mainly white people who object to the kinds of things I'm saying. Blacks folks (the vast majority) know what I'm on about. They know. I had a similar conversation with a black friend of mine, and he totally agrees. He knows. And he's not the only one who I've had this chat with. It's no coincidence.