Author Topic: Smoking  (Read 1039 times)

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
Smoking
« on: March 19, 2012, 07:17:33 PM »
Who here smokes? What do you smoke? How long have you smoked for?

I think smoking is cool. The image is very appealing. Look at James Dean, Jimi Hendrix, and so many others. I don't know why some people say smoking isn't cool. It is. Leather jackets, bikes, and smoking, all are cool things.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Smoking
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 07:19:44 PM »
"Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray"

I did it for a few hours when I was a teenager because I was "cool".  When I got home, I grabbed a candy cane off of our Christimas tree, to cover the smell on my breath.  I'm sure I was ultra-stealthy.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 07:22:18 PM »
"Kissing a smoker is like licking an ashtray"

I did it for a few hours when I was a teenager because I was "cool".  When I got home, I grabbed a candy cane off of our Christimas tree, to cover the smell on my breath.  I'm sure I was ultra-stealthy.

Dude, licking an ashtray and kissing a smoker are two very, very different things. One is dumb, the other is cool.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 07:26:31 PM »
I'm straight-edge, so apparently we are at polar opposite ends, unless you are lying about smoking as well.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 07:27:48 PM »
I'm straight-edge, so apparently we are at polar opposite ends, unless you are lying about smoking as well.

Have you ever tried smoking? Have you ever just put one in your mouth and looked in the mirror? Try it. You don't have to actually light it up, it makes a great accessory.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 07:29:11 PM »
Smokers don't bother me.  Today though, the information is conclusive.  Smoking is highly addictive, and extremely dangerous.  There are no two ways about it.  But humans have all sorts of unhealthy vices, and I'm cool  with them all as long as they don't hurt others in the process.  I do think we should have age limits on these things though.

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 07:29:22 PM »
Suicide on the installment plan  :P
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 07:31:29 PM »
Smokers don't bother me.  Today though, the information is conclusive.  Smoking is highly addictive, and extremely dangerous.  There are no two ways about it.  But humans have all sorts of unhealthy vices, and I'm cool  with them all as long as they don't hurt others in the process.  I do think we should have age limits on these things though.

It's addictive perhaps, depending on your personality. I smoke, but often I go for days without and it doesn't bother me. And I don't know many smokers who can't go without for some time. Today I think I've had 4, yesterday I had 2, on saturday night I had probably 20, it depends.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 07:33:04 PM »

Have you ever tried smoking? Have you ever just put one in your mouth and looked in the mirror? Try it. You don't have to actually light it up, it makes a great accessory.

No, but I almost died from my parent's smoking as a baby. Even around my friends who smoke, I get breathing problems, so I say I'm allergic to that shit. Even if I weren't, I still wouldn't because imo it does not look cool. I'm about clean, healthy lifestyles without the influence of drugs, so no thanks!

Accessories? That's what my beliefs, lack of beliefs, and music are for!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:09 PM »

It's addictive perhaps, depending on your personality. I smoke, but often I go for days without and it doesn't bother me. And I don't know many smokers who can't go without for some time. Today I think I've had 4, yesterday I had 2, on saturday night I had probably 20, it depends.

Do you have children?  Do you plan to?  Depending on your age, this is a very important consideration.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 07:34:40 PM »

No, but I almost died from my parent's smoking as a baby. Even around my friends who smoke, I get breathing problems, so I say I'm allergic to that shit. Even if I weren't, I still wouldn't because imo it does not look cool. I'm about clean, healthy lifestyles without the influence of drugs, so no thanks!

Do you think perhaps your early experience leads you to feel that it's not cool? A lot of people, even non smokers think it is cool.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »

Do you think perhaps your early experience leads you to feel that it's not cool? A lot of people, even non smokers think it is cool.

Not one bit. I don't think it's cool because I personally hate drugs. Early experiences have nothing to do with it. In addition, it smells worse than sewage. It is different strokes for different folks. And with that being said, I don't care who thinks it is cool or not cool. If you wish to smoke, go for it, as long as it's not around me in person. I disagree with it, but to each their own.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:00 PM »

Do you have children?  Do you plan to?  Depending on your age, this is a very important consideration.

Sure, I get that. All I'm saying is that the "addictiveness" of smoking is greatly exaggerated. My dad used to (I haven't seen him for years so I don't know about now) go cranky if he couldn't find a light, or his cigs. Me, I don't. Sure, it annoys me but only inasmuch as losing anything would annoy me. It really doesn't bother me to not smoke for certain periods of time (which vary greatly). I know someone who gave up for a few years, then started up again. He likes to start his day with a coffee and a smoke. Me, I can't think about smoking until well after I've had breakfast. Everyone is different. If I don't have money to buy cigarettes it's not a major problem, maybe just a slight annoyance and then I forget about it. It's psychological.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 07:39:22 PM »
Kymer,

Why do yo keep quoting multiple layers of quotes, as I've asked you not to do several times, and which you've received a warning for? This tells me you don't care what I tell you.

One more time and your going into the E.R. board for a while

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 07:42:28 PM »

Sure, I get that. All I'm saying is that the "addictiveness" of smoking is greatly exaggerated. My dad used to (I haven't seen him for years so I don't know about now) go cranky if he couldn't find a light, or his cigs. Me, I don't. Sure, it annoys me but only inasmuch as losing anything would annoy me. It really doesn't bother me to not smoke for certain periods of time (which vary greatly). I know someone who gave up for a few years, then started up again. He likes to start his day with a coffee and a smoke. Me, I can't think about smoking until well after I've had breakfast. Everyone is different. If I don't have money to buy cigarettes it's not a major problem, maybe just a slight annoyance and then I forget about it. It's psychological.

And I get what you're saying as well.  But having kids changes everything.  My personal belief is that parents have no right to endanger the health of their children by smoking around them.  I can;t enforce that belief, but I sure wish I could.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 07:44:40 PM »
I don't want to get in trouble for "over quoting" (whatever that means) so I'll reply to death over life hence :

You said :

"Not one bit. I don't think it's cool because I personally hate drugs. Early experiences have nothing to do with it. In addition, it smells worse than sewage. It is different strokes for different folks. And with that being said, I don't care who thinks it is cool or not cool. If you wish to smoke, go for it, as long as it's not around me in person. I disagree with it, but to each their own."

If you came over to my house, I would smoke if I felt like it. I'd be prepared to do it far enough from you so that it won't bother you, I'd offer to open a window, and anything else that comes to mind which would help you. But I'd still smoke. I'd expect and hope that you would be honest enough to not say that it bothers you if it doesn't. If we were in a pub and we were sitting at a small table together I'd smoke and blow well away from you. I'd even move the ashtray to another table if need be. But I'd still smoke. It's about compromise. And if it bothered you slightly, I'd expect you to compromise. If you got all righteous with me, I'd kiss you. Mwaaah!

Is that fair?

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 07:45:50 PM »
Kymer,

Why do yo keep quoting multiple layers of quotes, as I've asked you not to do several times, and which you've received a warning for? This tells me you don't care what I tell you.

One more time and your going into the E.R. board for a while

Look, I really have no clue now what I can and can't do. Seriously. We have a quote function, right? I'm using it, no? What's the problem? Tell me exactly what I can and can't do regarding quotes and I'll abide by that.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 07:47:26 PM »

And I get what you're saying as well.  But having kids changes everything.  My personal belief is that parents have no right to endanger the health of their children by smoking around them.  I can;t enforce that belief, but I sure wish I could.

Yeah sure, I agree. If I had kids I'd be very considerate. But all this rubbish about smoking in your own private vehicle, that I disagree with.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:05 PM »

Look, I really have no clue now what I can and can't do. Seriously. We have a quote function, right? I'm using it, no? What's the problem? Tell me exactly what I can and can't do regarding quotes and I'll abide by that.

When you quote, don't quote the entire reply.  Only quote the part you are directly replying to.  See how I cut out the green text?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 07:49:44 PM »
It's almost a miracle that I don't smoke, as my dad smoked and many young people in my church took it up early. It was very much a cultural thing. And I used to be extremely impressionable and eager for acceptance. But when I sneaked one of dads smokes and lit up I thought no amount of acceptance or coolness is worth it.

Just as well - my wife wouldn't have looked twice at me if I was a smoker. The swearing and drinking she has learnt to live with, even though she hates my swearing and I try not to. And shes become quite partial to an alchoholic ginger beer..
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:25 PM »

See how I cut out the green text?

Ok, I get it now.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 07:52:31 PM »
Smokers don't bother me, but I don't think it's 'cool'. Of course 'cool' is entirely subjective, but I certainly wouldn't want people trying to portray that it's cool to encourage gullible people into doing something they may not have done otherwise and may live to regret. If you wanna smoke, that's your prerogative, obviously I don't wanna choke in a smoke filled room and I know smokers who are the same but I'm not gonna be the douchebag standing next to a guy making fake coughs. I don't have a problem with people who smoke weed and whilst I don't judge people poorly for more hardcore drugs I seriously think it's a bad idea to do them and they're certainly NOT cool...those things pretty much fucked up my uncle's life.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 08:14:53 PM »
When my wife smoked, she didn't have an addictive personality and one day just quit to save money.  I smoked 7 years until I finally gave it up during a bad cold.  Make no mistake - if you smoke long term into old age, you will drown in your own lung's secretions with an oxygen mask over your tracheostomy.

After a year or so of smoking, the cilia in your lungs begin having difficulty removing the tar, which is why you cough more over night as the cilia begin to improve and remove the crap - which you will begin spitting out in the mornings before your next cigarette agains weakens the cilia.

I wish it wasn't so poisonous, because the feeling is very smooth, especially after eating - but investing in running shoes to ease stress is much wiser.
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 08:40:48 PM »
I don't want to get in trouble for "over quoting" (whatever that means) so I'll reply to death over life hence :

You said :

"Not one bit. I don't think it's cool because I personally hate drugs. Early experiences have nothing to do with it. In addition, it smells worse than sewage. It is different strokes for different folks. And with that being said, I don't care who thinks it is cool or not cool. If you wish to smoke, go for it, as long as it's not around me in person. I disagree with it, but to each their own."

If you came over to my house, I would smoke if I felt like it. I'd be prepared to do it far enough from you so that it won't bother you, I'd offer to open a window, and anything else that comes to mind which would help you. But I'd still smoke. I'd expect and hope that you would be honest enough to not say that it bothers you if it doesn't. If we were in a pub and we were sitting at a small table together I'd smoke and blow well away from you. I'd even move the ashtray to another table if need be. But I'd still smoke. It's about compromise. And if it bothered you slightly, I'd expect you to compromise. If you got all righteous with me, I'd kiss you. Mwaaah!

Is that fair?

It's what my friends do, so \m/.

And I doubt you would ever see me at a pub unless a band that I adore is playing.

And for everybody, what would your opinions be on electronic cigarettes? My brother-in-law smokes those.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 09:21:07 PM »

And for everybody, what would your opinions be on electronic cigarettes? My brother-in-law smokes those.

If it helps with the addiction, and doesn't pollute everyone else, then I say no problem!

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 09:41:20 PM »
I smoked for many years but I quit a few years ago. I enjoyed smoking but it's a gross habit at the same time.

Who here smokes? What do you smoke? How long have you smoked for?

I think smoking is cool. The image is very appealing. Look at James Dean, Jimi Hendrix, and so many others. I don't know why some people say smoking isn't cool. It is. Leather jackets, bikes, and smoking, all are cool things.

Dude, are you in high school? Want to know what's not cool: waking up in the middle of the night hacking up a lung, the need to go out in the bitter cold for a cigarette, spending 10 bucks on a pack (here in NY anyways, but I live near an Indian Reservation where people get cartons for dirt cheap), smelling like an ash tray. Not cool at all. I'm not against smoking at all. But it is a really gross habit.

I don't know. I think in high school I started smoking because it did look cool, but there comes a time when you should grow out of that whole "OMG, that guy is so cool with a cig in his hand!" mindset.

but investing in running shoes to ease stress is much wiser.

When my husband was quitting smoking he bought a punching bag. He went at that thing for hours. It sure did do the trick for him.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 09:47:01 PM by Emily »
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 04:19:14 PM »
I'm not in high school, darling. Are you? Want to know what is cool? Smoking. It's not a gross habit.

Offline mrbiscoop

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +30/-2
  • Faith is not a virtue!
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2012, 10:10:22 PM »
 Between this thread and your thread on black people plus your tendency to be a liar you come across as a very shallow, immature and ignorant person.
When I was a kid I used to pray every night for a new bicycle. Then I realised that the Lord doesn't work that way so I stole one and asked Him to forgive me.
              -Emo Philips

Online wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #28 on: March 20, 2012, 10:49:09 PM »
Don't smoke, neither of my parents are smokers either. My paternal grandfather was a pipe smoker for most of his life; I still have fond memories of the smell of his pipe as he read by the fire.

Don't consider smoking cool, but don't object to it, especially outdoors or in well-ventilated places. One thing I have noticed is that virtually every smoker that I've met has had horrible breath; they smell like they're literally rotting away on the inside.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius