Author Topic: What has science come up with lately?  (Read 1091 times)

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
What has science come up with lately?
« on: March 19, 2012, 12:34:50 PM »
I'm really interested in knowing what wonderful discoveries have been made by science in recent times. Thanks.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: What has science come up with lately?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2012, 12:37:42 PM »
What has not been affected by science...your cell phone, GPS system, medical operations that do not require being opened up, new drugs, IPAD, and 1000s more.   Global warming data, genetic crops, discoveries in space with new planets, etc.  You could fill a book.

Someone pointed out that there has been more scientific discoveries in the last 25 years than all the rest of human time put together.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2012, 12:39:05 PM »
What has not been affected by science...your cell phone, GPS system, medical operations that do not require being opened up, new drugs, IPAD, and 1000s more.   Global warming data, genetic crops, discoveries in space with new planets, etc.  You could fill a book.

Someone pointed out that there has been more scientific discoveries in the last 25 years than all the rest of human time put together.

I wouldn't go that far but yeah science is going well. Are you a scientist?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2012, 12:43:06 PM »
No, Im a rationalist.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2012, 12:44:02 PM »
No, Im a rationalist.

Is anyone here a scientist or are you all rationalists?

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2012, 12:45:42 PM »
I think we have had one or 2 over the time.  Can't remember for sure.  There is a thread somewhere where members posted what their occupation was.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2012, 12:46:20 PM »
We have iPhones where you can see the caller, like a Dick Tracy watch. Science!

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2012, 01:15:32 PM »
Well, lets look at stuff from the last week or two:

Earths atosphere was very hazy 2.5 billion years ago, because it was rich in hydrocarbons.

The reasons giant gas planets have strange orbits

Researchers have updated had-CRUT, one of the main global temperature records, that includes data back to the 1850's, by adding more information from the Arctic region.

Discovered some strange new gamma rays coming from the center of the Milky way.

Found a better hydrogen storage process.

Found out how to make graphene from scratch, which might help us make some amazing materials.

Decided that Asteroid 2012 DA14 will miss our planet by 22,000 miles next February. (Whew! Close!)

Found that Dendritically targeted Bdnf nRNA is essential for energy balance and response to leptin

Found that high-power ultrasound might be used to protect produce from pathogens

Found that black bears heal well when hibernating, without scars.

Have figured out that Planck-mass mirrors provide a new way to probe predictions of quantum gravity.

Found that bone marrow transplants reverse Rett syndrome in mice. This may lead to treatment in humans.

Found that infections as simple as cold viruses might be the trigger for diabetes.

Figured out how to image a living animal with a scanning electron microscope

Sent a message with neutrinos.

Discovered that some bird species apparently have a "heads up" display in their vision that lets them see the earths magnetic field.

Found a species of Japanese honeybees that can kill attacking giant hornet species by cooking the invaders with the heat from their own bodies.

Designed a robotic glove that can help workers reduce the risk of getting repetitive stress injuries.

Use 3D printing technology to print a new jaw for a woman.

Found that if you were to travel faster than the speed of light (probably not possible) you might create large explosions when you get to where you are going.

Come up with a one trillion bits per second chip (1 Thz, vs. the 2.6 Ghz chip I have in my computer today)

Found a way to transfer data between computers at a speed that would allow 500 full length movies to be downloaded in one second.

Reconstructed a dinosaur that had four wings.

Photographen a twister on mars.

Invented Electron Ptychography, which could create the tiniest and sharpest images of cells, etc. ever.

Captured the first ever imagoes of atoms moving inside a molecule

Found more hints of the Higgs boson.

Found a warped spiral galaxy

Developed self-healing hydrogels, which may allow us to make self-healing plastics and other materials.

Discovered that the planet was hit by a large rock 13,000 years ago, which may have led to the last ice age.

Better defined some of the health risks  associated with fraking

Would you like me to go on?

You want the big stuff? The big stuff comes from all the little stuff. And every one of those news items is from March, 2012, and I cut it short because I think I have enough to make my point without irking the mods too much with a long post now.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2012, 01:16:04 PM »
kymer, how old are you?   It seems that you are playing dumb and quite ignorant. I have my degree in geology. I'm not a research scientist but I do know the various sciences quite well.

a good site for up to date informations on work in various sciences: http://www.physorg.com/

http://www.popularmechanics.com/technology/gadgets/news/2078467

http://www.casw.org/casw/article/50-science-sagas-50-years

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +546/-14
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 01:40:16 PM »
I have a degree in computer science, myself.  Also, a solid, if general, background in the various sciences.

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2012, 02:20:27 PM »
A coalition of European scientists is working on a Death Star Super Laser that will be used to see what happens when you blow up part of space with a gigantic fucking laser. Maybe if they are lucky, they will manage a direct hit on God.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2012, 02:29:03 PM »
Well, lets look at stuff from the last week or two:
<snip>

Wow, that's some list! I wonder if the list of stuff religion have figured out recently is that impressive? I'm guessing it's not. Science=winning.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Irish

• Fellow
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Moraxella catarrhalis on BA
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2012, 02:48:08 PM »
I'm really interested in knowing what wonderful discoveries have been made by science in recent times. Thanks.

The website www.sciencedaily.com has, as the title says, daily updates on scientific news from vastly different fields.  I mostly stick to the biology sections but there must be something there that you're interested in.
La scienze non ha nemici ma gli ignoranti.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:02 PM »
I just made that list by looking at recent stories on FlipBoard and Zite on my iPad. I read stuff like that every often and it astonishes that there are people who have no idea the different things that scientists and related researchers are coming up with every frickin' day.

People not restricted by a 2,000 year old set of instructions seems quite able to manage on their own. And it makes what they claim their god did in seven days seem rather whimpy.

God should have given us the internet instead of the bible. I might be a believer if Palestinians and Aztecs were tweeting in 2,000 BCE. Or beforer. If we had record of tweets even earlier (Hey, is it raining there too?), I'd be short of reasons for not believing in their dude.

As it is, I've got gobs of reasons not to. And the list is growing every day.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
Again, unnecessary amount of quoted text. If you insist on ignoring warnings against this you will have to go into our Emergency Room for a quoting lesson.

Yes, please list other things too. Thanks.
« Last Edit: March 19, 2012, 04:20:04 PM by HAL »

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 04:29:43 PM »
Yes, please list other things too. Thanks.

If you are only going to make a small comment on a large section like that, you should just <snip> it. It makes your post unnecessarily long. The Tutorial Section is a very helpful place to visit, if you have not yet been advised to do so.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 04:31:24 PM »
Sorry, I didn't understand the warning the first time.

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2012, 08:27:07 AM »
I know we have a biologist on here.  I dont remember his screen name though.  He has something biology related in his avatar if I remember correctly.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2012, 11:09:58 AM »

This is not an exaggeration. And it will double again in the next  20 years or so, and double again a dozen years later.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2012, 11:12:21 AM »
Another great source of daily science news is http://science.slashdot.org

And by the way, Kymer is by his own admission a troll, so don't take him too seriously until he decides to take himself seriously.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2012, 06:30:07 PM »
Japanese scientists have a variety of sweet corn - Mirai.  It is a shrunken2.
The University of Illinois did much of the early development of the shrunken (sh2) gene
in the 1950’s. The sh2 gene greatly boosted the sugar levels of the endosperm. The gene
defect also slowed the conversion of simple sugars to starch.

In the past few years, breeders have been “stacking” these genes. Now varieties may
contain a number of different combinations of the three major genes and their modifier
genes. Many of these new types have a much superior flavor than their old counterparts

This info from this link
        http://www.newenglandvfc.org/2003_conference/proceedings_03/sweet_corn/sweet_corn_genotypes.pdf
may not be grand science, like planning the next Mars trip (which I wish we were more seriously working on), but the genetics in corn breeding are excellent news for our taste buds.  We could also have roundup ready sweet corn, but the public is slow to except that science (not always a bad thing).   - My little corner of new science.   :) 
« Last Edit: March 20, 2012, 06:32:33 PM by shnozzola »
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2012, 01:16:46 PM »

I'm really interested in knowing what wonderful discoveries have been made by religion ... ever.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #22 on: March 22, 2012, 01:34:25 PM »

I'm really interested in knowing what wonderful discoveries have been made by religion ... ever.
Human and animal sacrifice? Oh yeah, you said wonderful. I got nothing.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #23 on: March 24, 2012, 08:55:36 AM »
Found a species of Japanese honeybees that can kill attacking giant hornet species by cooking the invaders with the heat from their own bodies
Good list, but I'm certain I saw this in a documentary YEARS ago. Quite cool, the difference in lethal temperature to both species is small, but still they get the job done.

Also I'd like to add that Nick and Joe really weren't exaggerating- scientific discoveries at the moment are incredibly high in number. It's quite amazing really.

Is anyone here a scientist or are you all rationalists?

Not a practising scientist, but I have a BSc in biomedical sciences and I'm currently studying medicine.
http://www.nature.com/ <-- this is quite tech, but if you can understand it, there is a lot of interesting stuff to be read here. Also, nature has a good reputation for publishing only scientifically sound papers which have been peer reviewed. Bad science can be annoying.
http://www.ted.com/ <--- lots of interesting lectures on various topics here, some presented by really good and engaging public speakers. They are only ~20mins long each and aimed at both the lay man and for people in the field- so they make a nice break if you need to procrastinate :)
love and truth and love of truth

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2012, 08:58:20 AM »

Well I'm not sure what scientific discoveries have been made by religion per se, as I'm not sure if that's even possible considering their definitions, but I'm sure there have been numerous scientific discoveries made by the religious. For example, I believe it was a Belgian priest who came up with the big bang theory.
love and truth and love of truth

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #25 on: March 24, 2012, 09:16:58 AM »
I believe it was a Belgian priest who came up with the big bang theory.

Equally important to the big bang theory (IMHO), other Belgians, Trappist Monks, are responsible for the science of this beer:

http://www.westvleteren12.com/              :)
“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2012, 04:18:30 PM »
This is..... unbelievable. Amazing. And even kind of creepy in a way. Nevertheless, this is a REAL medical miracle, and naturally, it was accomplished by medical science. Faith has never produced results like this. Never.

http://thechart.blogs.cnn.com/2012/03/27/36-hour-face-transplant-most-extensive-ever

Offline Rustybeatz

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2012, 05:10:55 PM »

This is not an exaggeration. And it will double again in the next  20 years or so, and double again a dozen years later.

The Singularity is near! 

Also, I'm pretty sure google has something to do with science.  I know, it can find science stuff when type "science discoveries of the last 25 years" into it!!    :)
Sorry, I'm a sucker for sarcasm.   ;D

Offline bgb

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +8/-0
  • That felt great.
    • BGBART SHIRTS AND GIFTS
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2012, 10:53:29 AM »
Here is the list of what discoveries religion has made for the benefit of man....

Feel free to add to it.
The whole point of science is that most of it is uncertain. That's why science is exciting--because we don't know. Science is all about things we don't understand. The public, of course, imagines science is just a set of facts. But it's not.  Freeman Dyson