Poll

when (for most of you, if) the rapture happens will you believe then?

yes
6 (15.8%)
no
8 (21.1%)
yes, i'll believe in anything that gets you guys to shut up
1 (2.6%)
the rapture isn't real and it was created in the 19th century by a human
23 (60.5%)

Total Members Voted: 38

Author Topic: non-christians: poll about the rapture  (Read 1623 times)

Offline grasszilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
non-christians: poll about the rapture
« on: March 18, 2012, 07:41:47 PM »
just a simple poll about i question i was thinking about :D

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
  • There is no Big Brother in the sky.
Re: non-christians: poll about the rapture
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 07:55:07 PM »
You've only been here for 11 posts, and you are going to post a poll that assumes a worldview that is not that of most of the people on the forum, in a rather obvious attempt to incite, with the not so subtle implication that you are are certainly right, that we will suffer the ultimate penalty, and your smiley face indicates that you will be among those special and privileged few watching and laughing as we do. Kiss my ass.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +551/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 07:56:04 PM »
The question is strange. It first of all states the rapture will happen, thus establishing it as a hypothetical fact. Then it asks if we would believe a fact that we are witnessing.

If a blue whale dressed as Elton John dropped from the sky in front of me and started doing Elvis impressions - I assume I'd have to believe it... but I suppose that after a lie down, I'd try and think of a rational explanation.

Here's something that would make you doubt your sanity:
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline grasszilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 08:00:47 PM »
You've only been here for 11 posts, and you are going to post a poll that assumes a worldview that is not that of most of the people on the forum, in a rather obvious attempt to incite, with the not so subtle implication that you are are certainly right, that we will suffer the ultimate penalty, and your smiley face indicates that you will be among those special and privileged few watching and laughing as we do. Kiss my ass.
no no no! you've got me all wrong! i was just asking if the rapture happened would you believe in a the biblical god. why would you assume that i had ulterior motives? a smiley face is just a smiley face man...

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 08:01:36 PM »
When the giant blue hand reaches down from the clouds and writes on my forehead in flaming letters (in reverse so I can read them in the mirror) the words   "you've been smote"

.......I still won't believe in gods.

Evidence is not aspects of some events that seem to tie into less than well defined aspects of different ambiguous myths.

Apophenia not only rules OK, but it also creates the "ward"robes of mythologies from whole cloth. I'm sorry but I'm outta that closet.
And if I was witnessing what appeared to share aspects of the rapture, and suddenly was presented with indisputable evidence that it wasn't a ufo event, then I'd be lurking just in case I could ever get my hands on that demented, psychopathic and evil fucker god.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 08:51:34 PM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +51/-0
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:09:35 PM »

Describe the events in detail as to what will happen when(if)(during) the rapture, just so I know we are on the same page and to get a better idea of what this 'rapture' you speak of is all about.

Is it some cataclysmic nuclear explosion taking out half a country? Some asteroid the size of Russia falling towards earth as incredible speeds? Some corporation creating a T-Virus-like virus to re-animate the recently dead?   
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
Q:

when (for most of you, if) the rapture happens will you believe then?

I cannot answer the question.

How would I know whether it was a god or an extremely powerful and advanced alien that caused it?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:34:19 PM »
no no no! you've got me all wrong! i was just asking if the rapture happened would you believe in a the biblical god. why would you assume that i had ulterior motives? a smiley face is just a smiley face man...

Sure, in as much as if I actually saw a fat man in a red suit flying through the air on a sleigh drawn by a team of flying reindeer, I would believe in Santa Claus. The problem is, Jesus spoke is though he would come again and all of that stuff would go down in the lifetimes of those who stood before him. Seeing as that didn't happen the way Jesus said it would, there's no reason to believe that it will, in fact, ever happen.

Why do I assume that you have an ulterior motive? Your previous posts have identified you as a believer. I have observed, from past experience, that believers like to lure atheists in with questions like this, as if by saying that they would believe it if it actually happened is somehow a victory for them, when it hasn't happened, didn't happen when it was supposed to, and there is no evidence to suggest that it ever will. This is the type of thing that the average believer posting here would typically consider a clever trap. However, it's like setting a mouse trap to stop an M1 tank.

As graybeard said, if something extraordinary happens to you, you would probably have to assume that you would believe it, unless you could arrive on a more sufficient natural explanation.

Here's a question for you: If there came a time when there were three seasons of nothing but winter, and then suddenly there came forth a host of the undead led by Loki and Hel, and opposing them the Aesir and Einherjer  led by Týr, Odin and Thor, would you believe in Ragnarok? Does the answer to this question do anything to actually lend any credibility, practical applicability, truth, or historical or predictive value to the claims made by to the old Norse legends? No, and it doesn't in your case either. It's as pointless as asking if I experienced an auto accident, if I would believe in it. Even as a hypothetical exercise it is essentially without value.

If a grave was found in the middle east, with the body of Jesus Christ (who is alleged to have rose from the dead and ascended into heaven, thereby forfeiting any opportunity to leave behind bodily remains) would you finally admit that the whole thing is a lie? Though I don't consider this event to be extremely probable either, it is far more likely than the hypothetical situation you posed, and furthermore there is still as of yet any evidence to support the idea that Jesus Christ was the divine son of the God Yahweh. There is as about as much proof for the divinity of Jesus Christ as there is for Gandalf. Gandalf had healing powers, was a modest wanderer, made vague predictions, spoke in riddles, was able to defeat demons, died, was risen, helped establish a new kingdom, and passed on into paradise. It's really not hard to make that kind of stuff up. People were doing it long before Jesus, in case you forget.
Seriously though... What would happen if the Great Green Arkleseizure didn't fram up the rammastam before the hermite curve achieved maximum nurdfurdle velocity? Now THAT would be something. AmIrite?

Offline kaziglu bey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +121/-1
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 08:38:26 PM »
Additionally, if the rapture did happen, I think it would prove the point that God is an asshole, and I would feel a certain vindication in having rejected a sadistic, murderous dictator as my "savior". Better to reign in hell than serve in heaven.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2012, 08:40:11 PM »
Basically, you are asking. "If God  is real would you believe in Him".  Proof is all we have ever asked for.  Show us the proof.  Oh, here's a smiley face ;D
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline grasszilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2012, 08:42:46 PM »

Describe the events in detail as to what will happen when(if)(during) the rapture, just so I know we are on the same page and to get a better idea of what this 'rapture' you speak of is all about.

Is it some cataclysmic nuclear explosion taking out half a country? Some asteroid the size of Russia falling towards earth as incredible speeds? Some corporation creating a T-Virus-like virus to re-animate the recently dead?
when all the true christians (deep rooted) go to heaven before/during the tribulation http://christianity.about.com/od/faqhelpdesk/a/whatisrapture.htm http://bible.cc/1_thessalonians/4-17.htm but then again, people will try to explain it away...

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2012, 08:43:59 PM »
Can I have your stuff? ;)

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 08:45:35 PM »
no no no! you've got me all wrong! i was just asking if the rapture happened would you believe in a the biblical god.

Assuming that something we can call "the rapture" happened...

Why would we be so sure it was bible-god that did it?  How would you know Zeus didn't have anything to do with it?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:13 PM »
Or aliens.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:31 PM »
when all the true christians (deep rooted) go to heaven before/during the tribulation ...

Define "True Christian".

How would we know they went to Heaven (or where they went).

Need I go on?

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2012, 08:47:52 PM »
I’ve found the past few recent raptures to be profoundly disappointing.  Do you have any reason to believe the next one will be more impressive? 

Offline grasszilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2012, 08:48:22 PM »
Basically, you are asking. "If God  is real would you believe in Him".  Proof is all we have ever asked for.  Show us the proof.  Oh, here's a smiley face ;D
well, this proof wil by my view will be seen within the next 150 yrs or so if not sooner. not that'll help most of us humans is it dosen't happen sooner.
Can I have your stuff? ;)
sure.

Offline grasszilla

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2012, 08:50:11 PM »
when all the true christians (deep rooted) go to heaven before/during the tribulation ...

How would we know they went to Heaven (or where they went).

have faith my child...  :laugh:

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2012, 08:52:06 PM »
We have seen a lot of predictions come and go.  One not to long ago.  Why do you say the "real" one is 150 years or less?  Why not 500 years or more?  Do you have a special direct line to the Big Guy?

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2012, 08:52:39 PM »

Have faith that Zeus took them to Mt. Olympus.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +818/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2012, 08:54:36 PM »
First I'd have to know. When the rapture doesn't happen, will you stop believing in god?
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2012, 08:55:20 PM »

Have faith that Zeus xenu took them to Mt. Olympus earth.

fixed oh heretic
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2012, 09:07:39 PM »
have faith my child... 

Have faith in what? That more polls with unanswerable questions like this will be posted in the future? Oh, I do, I do.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2012, 09:14:34 PM »
IF it was proven to truly be rapture, then yes. If it was something people interpreted as rapture, I'd still need proof. I'll hit 'yes', but those are my conditions for 'yes'. Though I can't know for certain my reaction without having it. I'll still bite.

Essentially if there's ANYTHING I don't believe in, if the evidence was there and was substantial enough to prove any claims I do not believe, then yes, I would then believe. We ask for proof all of the time, I think if we were to receive some we'd be over the moon - we'd find it hard to believe, but if the science behind it (not pseudo-science) is on the ball, then I think many of us would accept it.

However, this never happens. People's idea of evidence is mostly words and attempts at using reason and logic as opposed to things that can be observed.

I don't care about whether or not my current view is right, I know I am human and am a finite being capable of error or simply not capable of perceiving certain things. If I am truly shown I am wrong, I will accept it. I favour knowledge over ignorance, so I like to learn things, it's how I ended up becoming an atheist.  ;)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +280/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2012, 09:30:39 PM »
Well, Grasszilla, I don't think the rapture *can* happen.

You see, according to My records[1] the Apocalypse happened on April 2, 2001.  Biblegod's side lost badly by being suckered into a dead-end valley near Megiddo (just down the road a bit from where Bill Maher was standing at the end of Religulous, in fact).  The instigators are now in custody at the regional courts at Proxima Centauri, awaiting trial on charges of attempted geocide.

I've also taken the liberty of cancelling Judgment Day, as it is no longer needed, and have replaced it with a potluck supper.  Please bring a loaf of home-baked bread and some Boston brown beans.
 1. Filed under "W" for "woo-woo."  ;)
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Willie

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-1
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2012, 10:03:02 PM »
I answered "yes", because not accepting something in the face of hard evidence would be pretty silly. But it is not an unqualified yes. I'd only accept what the event would actually prove. I would not uncritically accept all the other nonsense associated with Christian belief (world spoken into existence only a few thousand years ago, the Noah's Ark story, virgin birth, talking snakes, etc.). A rapture would not be evidence of any of that. Nor would I accept all the evil stuff in the bible is good (the bits that justify slavery and condone the death penalty for trivial infractions like working on the sabbath, for example).

Though I selected the first answer, your fourth answer (the rapture isn't real...) was somewhat appealing. This whole thought experiment seems about as useful and serious as debating whether Batman or Spiderman would win in a fight, or speculating about what one would do if abducted by space aliens and taken to smoke doobies with a still-living Elvis Presley and John Lennon.

Online Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +80/-1
« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2012, 10:45:53 PM »

fixed oh heretic

Deep down, you know that Zeus is the god of gods.  Why do you continue to deny this?

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: March 18, 2012, 10:54:38 PM »
If a 'rapture' happened and I witnessed it I would definitely believe that it happened, however; it would not cause me to revert back to Bible belief seeing as to the fact that such an event occurring in my lifetime is NOT mentioned in scripture.
If the Bible is to be believed, the 'rapture' should have occurred like 1940 or so years ago.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 10:54:55 PM »

fixed oh heretic

Deep down, you know that Zeus is the god of gods.  Why do you continue to deny this?

I cannot even countenance a god whose name starts with the cheesy 50s pulp sci-fi letter Z  .....unlike mighty Xenu   ....wait ...wha ...WTF! :(