Author Topic: Intro  (Read 401 times)

Offline BobC

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
Intro
« on: March 18, 2012, 03:54:22 PM »
Greetings all.

I've been visiting this forum for about 18 months now and finally decided to join up. Been visiting almost weekly to read the discussions, so I thought its time I actually got involved in some of them.

What else can I say? I'm married and have a teenage daughter who came out to me as an agnostic/atheist about 6 months back and I'm a proud dad :). We've always had discussions about critical thinking, evolution, astronomy, big bang etc and I never gave her the old 'goddidit' speech, even when I still believed (or thought I did) or was undergoing my own transition to agnosticism bordering on atheism, where I still am at the moment. Thing is, she's at a private school where they have taken it upon themselves to subtly slip in some creationist 'theories' along side evolution, and what made me more proud is that she saw right through the creationist 'theories' all on her own and just opened up to me the one day and said something along the lines of 'how can grownups believe this? it's all just a fairy story isn't it?'. She has since read The Magic of Reality and The Greatest Show on Earth (which we read together). I'm confident she's fully immunized against the creationist 'theories' so we are not too concerned about letting her complete this year before changing schools.

As for the missus, she's not far behind us but is still hanging onto to some religious indoctrination which the old South African government's education system infected her with. But she's not a lost cause. She knows how we think and it doesn't get in the way as she is not exactly a church-goer or anything, but she's still in the whole Pascal's wager mode at the moment.

Anyway, that's all from me. Looking forward to the discussions.

Cheers

Bob

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Intro
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2012, 04:10:19 PM »
Bobc!  Welcome, and glad you decided to join in!

Sounds like you raised your daughter to be her own thinker.  Good for you!

Jet

Offline Graybeard

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +542/-19
  • Is this going somewhere?
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2012, 04:39:00 PM »
Welcome Bob,
I've just been replying to a hopeless case of religious delusion and am more than please to see allies. I am from a family of atheists (Dawkins grade 7) and my wife and sons are the same.

There's a smile comes to my face when I hear success stories like yours; think of all that baggage you and your daughter have left at the garbage dump; and it sounds like your wife has only a small handbag of guilt and superstition left.

Again welcome. Now, get on with the business of explaining to the deluded that, "life really isn't like that."
Nobody says “There are many things that we thought were natural processes, but now know that a god did them.”

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2012, 07:26:49 PM »
greetings fellow earthling

yeah mate
teaching independent and inquisitive rationality to your kids is one of the great gifts...

look forward to seeing you around 
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2012, 07:31:50 PM »
Thanks for joining Bob. 95 more posts, and I have a present for you.  :)

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2012, 08:18:35 PM »
Wel, you've seen the topics here. Sometimes the atheists here are a bit intense.

Lighten up guys, you are scaring away even some atheists. Oh wait, is it some kind of clique?

Hang in there, Bob.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2012, 08:24:20 PM »
Wel, you've seen the topics here. Sometimes the atheists here are a bit intense.

Lighten up guys, you are scaring away even some atheists. Oh wait, is it some kind of clique?

Hang in there, Bob.

Tero - stick with it, you will learn the personalities!  And you probably won't enjoy all of them.   :o

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +789/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2012, 08:53:08 PM »
Welcome, BobC, and thanks for not having one of those silly name/number combos that look more like car license's than screen names. The day brep119 or snit87x makes sense to me will either be when I am brain dead or have a lobotomy. It might require both.

Are you in SA, or is your wife just from there? I love it when we get different foreign perspectives on things. So many of us are Americans and appropriately deluded, even if we have it right about the god thing. I love finding new people to tell us we're full of sh*t.

Someday some of us will believe it. I hope.

Jetson is immune from all that crap, of course. He's from Texas.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline BobC

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2012, 11:15:55 PM »
Are you in SA, or is your wife just from there?

Currently living in SA. Have been for just over 30 years. Originally from UK. My wife was born & raised there.

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2012, 08:57:59 PM »
Welcome, BobC!
I wouldn't worry about your daughter...I think if they are "innoculated", as you put it, with the ability to think critically in the face of theist propoganda, it will stay with them even in the face of peer presssure or personal difficulties in which they might be tempted to fall back on the idea of a sky-daddy who loves them. It just leaves them with the inability to fall into a blind belief without some sort of analysis, I think.

My kids (26, 24 &21) all fall within the agnostic/atheist spectrum despite going to church more or less consistently thoughout their childhoods, and my youngest is, in fact, attending a Catholic university without any apparent inclination to backslide. As a matter of fact, he is looking at adding a minor in religion to his psychology major, and has thus far relished his ability to produce highly-graded papers and projects while skimming along the edges of (with the occasional dip into) out and out challenge to the very presuppositions  inherent in the courses. He sneezes in the face of dogma :)