Author Topic: Lamb o' God Blood, Not Daughter's  (Read 672 times)

Offline pingnak

Lamb o' God Blood, Not Daughter's
« on: March 17, 2012, 02:47:05 AM »
http://www.bnd.com/2012/03/14/2098722/vegas-woman-claims-evil-in-girls.html
LAS VEGAS -- The woman was barefoot and naked, her hands bloody from what she said was the "lamb of God." But investigators believe it was from her 6-year-old daughter, who was found dead near a pair of scissors at their home.
Danielle Yvonne Slaughter told police she had recently taken a weight-loss product and began feeling an "evil presence," according to a recorded interview. When her daughter spoke "evil words," laughed "in an evil voice" and clawed and kicked at her, Slaughter said she picked up scissors and struck the child several times.

Pesky evil kids.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Re: Lamb o' God Blood, Not Daughter's
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2012, 05:55:55 AM »
Andrea Yates is in a mental institution for killing her kids because God told her to do it.
Her roomate in the institution is also there for killing her kids because God told her to do it.

Some people have said, even on these forums, that they were just crazy people who would have done what they did sooner or later anyway, that we shouldn't blame religion, it was just the trigger.

I say that's bullshit. Their religious beliefs teach them that evil is actually justice, and create a fantasy world where demons are all around us and can posess your kids.

I place the blame squarely on religion.

"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2012, 07:16:17 AM »
Her last name is Slaughter?  How ironic is that?  NOw we can't even try to lose weight and stay in shape without the devil getting involved.  This sucks.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 09:05:29 AM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2012, 08:08:41 AM »
I cannot imagine the long and painful process of murdering a six year old with scissors.  The poor child must have been conscious and terrified and in pain for so long.  This was not a moment of madness.  It was a prolonged, torturous murder. 

Offline JL

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • Jin Jing ??...You are beautiful :)
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2012, 08:32:37 AM »
Death sentence is in order here or at least life imprisonment without parole in Russia's Black Dolphin prison.

Scum of society. >:(
"Religion is regarded by the common man as true, the wise man as false, and the rulers as useful"

Now listening to--> Linda Chung 'My Love Story Album'

For Jazz :Exotica by Paul Taylor + The Dream by David Sanborn and Latin Quarter by Marc Antoine

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2012, 08:38:28 AM »
Death sentence is in order here or at least life imprisonment without parole in Russia's Black Dolphin prison.

Huh? For an obviously crazy person?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2012, 10:16:18 AM »

I disagree. She is insane. Institutionalization and therapy, absolutely. Death or imprisonment? That's not reasonable at all.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline pingnak

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2012, 03:21:40 PM »
Meh.  I don't hold 'crazy' as an excuse.

Just prove whether they did it (whether or not they can participate) and put 'em down like a rabid dog.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2012, 04:43:09 PM »
For those of you who think this woman should be executed presumably you also feel the same about the American soldier who just killed all those afghan civilians. This being the case I've no doubt you would have got your wish if the afghans had got their hands on him. As it is I think the possibility of him being executed are extremely remote.

Now I'm against capital punishment under any and all circumstances but fortunately I live in a place where we have put such an extreme form of punishment behind us.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline pingnak

« Reply #9 on: March 17, 2012, 05:03:13 PM »
I'll just assume you imprison the crazies, as opposed to fining them and letting them go.

How's taking a human being and locking him/her in a cage with a bunch of other violent people 'humane'?

Live our your life in a cage of concrete and iron, and THEN die, versus just die.

People in hospitals are treated less humanely than murderers who receive prompt capital punishment.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2012, 07:56:14 PM »
I'll just assume you imprison the crazies, as opposed to fining them and letting them go.

How's taking a human being and locking him/her in a cage with a bunch of other violent people 'humane'?

Live our your life in a cage of concrete and iron, and THEN die, versus just die.

People in hospitals are treated less humanely than murderers who receive prompt capital punishment.

It doesn't work that way. People who are clinically insane cannot be considered responsible for their actions so they are placed in secure psychiatric units. Also most murderers in this country do not die in prison. On average a life sentence in this country is about 15 years, depending on the severity and type of murder. It also eliminates the possibility of executing an innocent person in error.

I would also point out that if capital punishment is a good thing and done in your name why do they hide it away inside prisons and not televise it for all to see justice being done?

BTW you never answered the soldier question. Should he be executed for his crimes?
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 07:59:52 PM by Frank »
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2012, 08:02:07 PM »
That is why the moved him out of the country as fast as they did.  Time will pass, he will be charged and guilty of murder but with a mental defense will be institutionalised and forgotten.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline pingnak

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2012, 01:10:57 AM »
Warehouse the broken people in cages.

You can't fix them.  You can't trust them to live among society anymore.

Just stick 'em in a box and forget them, to the tune of $50,000 a year for the rest of their lives.

Or, EVEN WORSE, let them out, and have them kill EVEN MORE innocent people.

How is that humane?

"You know what?  We've had this insane multiple-murderer behind bars for ten years.  I think he's all better now.  I'll bet multiple innocent lives on that."

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2012, 05:57:58 AM »
So many fallacies, so little time.

Warehouse the broken people in cages.

False. They are not cages. A room in a mental institution is not so different from a bedroom. They have TVs, books, outdoor recreational areas, visitation.

You can't fix them.  You can't trust them to live among society anymore.

False. Most mentally ill people are rehabilitated...

Just stick 'em in a box and forget them, to the tune of $50,000 a year for the rest of their lives.

...and released. And false. They are not just forgotten. During their time in the facility they receive therapy, education, and medical care to help them get well.

Or, EVEN WORSE, let them out, and have them kill EVEN MORE innocent people.
By that logic we should keep every inmate in prison forever. Otherwise, thieves will steal again, forgerers will forge again, arsonists will burn again, protesters will protest again, brawlers will brawl again, drunks will drink again, jaywalkers will jaywalk again.

Before they can be released the doctors must certify that they are no longer a danger to themselves or others. If the doctors certify that someone is cured and ready to be released, who are you to disagree with that assessment? Are you more qualified than a doctor to judge who is a danger and who is not?

"You know what?  We've had this insane multiple-murderer behind bars for ten years.  I think he's all better now.  I'll bet multiple innocent lives on that."

It's better to take that chance and give people the benefit of the doubt instead of condemning them all to death.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2012, 03:13:06 AM »
I don't know where they let dangerously deranged people wander loose, but if your movements are utterly restricted, it doesn't matter how clinical or otherwise gilded the cage is, it's a cage.

You can CLAIM someone is 'rehabilitated'.  I'm sure you'd trust your own kids to be left with a 'rehabilitated' child rapist/killer as a teacher at a boarding school, for instance.

And a minor correction: In the U.S., they're warehoused, or just stuck in a prison population. 

Even the people who haven't murdered other people are just chucked out on the streets and left to fend for themselves.

Strictly speaking, I'd rather die than go to prison.

To call death 'inhumane' is to call being born 'inhumane'. 

Everyone is born with a death sentence.

Not every broken brain can be 'fixed'. 

In fact, nobody can PROVE that someone is 'rehabilitated' to anyone else's satisfaction.  WHEN a convicted murderer, rapist, etc. is released, there is something called 'recidivism'.  That's when someone who commits a crime, is released, and commits ANOTHER crime, and ends up back in prison.

Exactly what rate of recidivism is acceptable to you, among murderers and rapists?

Even killers in prison populations kill again.  And then they go to 'solitary', which is literally never being among other human beings again.  But kept alive.  Oh, yes.  'Alive'.  In a box.

http://www.prodeathpenalty.com/repeat_murder.htm

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 03:49:42 AM »
Still full of hyperbole, exaggeration, fallacies, strawmen, and wrong assumptions.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2012, 04:45:15 AM »
As opposed to just letting killers walk the streets, ASSUMING they are 'fixed'.

No thanks.

Put 'em out of everyone's misery, including their own.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2012, 05:03:36 AM »
Right they don't do any tests or anything, they just let em go, willy-nilly. Every one of them.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2012, 12:52:22 PM »
we have a person claiming that their religion was the basis for their actions.  We have Christians here claiming that they hear their god too.  If they believe all of their bible, there is no such thing as mental illness, so the murderer was acting under god's advice or was possessed.  If anyone wants the murderer to suffer the death penalty, it should be Christians or they should be lauding her as doing their god's work. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2012, 01:47:59 PM »
Any ideology can be taken to an extreme by someone who becomes mentally imbalanced, for whatever reason.  There are far more examples of religious people who do not kill their children than of those who do.  Yet we are supposed to believe that religion is the cause?

I'll grant, though, that religion makes it easier for someone who's that imbalanced to justify something like this.  It is a catalyst, after all.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2012, 02:38:30 PM »
As opposed to just letting killers walk the streets, ASSUMING they are 'fixed'.

No thanks.

Put 'em out of everyone's misery, including their own.

You volunteering for the job then? How would you do it? Line them up like cows in a slaughterhouse and shoot them in the head as they go by? If you really want to kill a lot of people very quickly Zyklon B is very good from what I've heard. Probably not painless though.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2012, 02:41:43 PM »
Any ideology can be taken to an extreme by someone who becomes mentally imbalanced, for whatever reason.  There are far more examples of religious people who do not kill their children than of those who do.  Yet we are supposed to believe that religion is the cause?

I'll grant, though, that religion makes it easier for someone who's that imbalanced to justify something like this.  It is a catalyst, after all.

let me ask you, Jaime, was religion the cause when people sacrificed human beings? 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2012, 02:59:20 PM »
let me ask you, Jaime, was religion the cause when people sacrificed human beings?
The specific religions that engaged in human sacrifice were the cause of it, yes.  However, that does not relate to the discussion at hand except as a tangent, unless you are suggesting that modern religions require parents to intentionally and deliberately murder their children due to presumed "demonic possession".  My point was that the outliers do not represent the mean.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2012, 03:20:34 PM »
The specific religions that engaged in human sacrifice were the cause of it, yes.  However, that does not relate to the discussion at hand except as a tangent, unless you are suggesting that modern religions require parents to intentionally and deliberately murder their children due to presumed "demonic possession".  My point was that the outliers do not represent the mean.

I'm pointing out that it depends on how the believer feels about his or her religion. Can the perception of religion as "truth" be considered mental illness?  Some do indeed find that their religion requires that they act against "demons".

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +511/-12
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2012, 03:27:09 PM »
I'm pointing out that it depends on how the believer feels about his or her religion. Can the perception of religion as "truth" be considered mental illness?  Some do indeed find that their religion requires that they act against "demons".
With regards to SPAG, you are probably correct.  I think it's important to distinguish between the effects of fundamental doctrines taught by the religion and the effects of individual believer-SPAG, though.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #25 on: March 19, 2012, 04:36:14 PM »
You volunteering for the job then? How would you do it? Line them up like cows in a slaughterhouse and shoot them in the head as they go by? If you really want to kill a lot of people very quickly Zyklon B is very good from what I've heard. Probably not painless though.

Are YOU volunteering to keep these people in a box forever?

Or will YOU personally certify that they are all 100% 'fixed', and no longer a threat to anyone at all?

Because turning a killer loose, and having them kill OTHER innocent people, AGAIN is not an acceptable solution to me.

Maybe you think people should have the inviolate privilege of murdering, getting a light slap on the wrist, and being released into the public to do it again and again.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2012, 08:05:26 AM »
With regards to SPAG, you are probably correct.  I think it's important to distinguish between the effects of fundamental doctrines taught by the religion and the effects of individual believer-SPAG, though.

Jaime, belief in demons is one of the fundamental doctrines in a lot of religions.  Spirits, souls, demons, angels, hell and heaven, pretty much all one  package in Christianity.