Author Topic: ancient aliens  (Read 2456 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
ancient aliens
« on: March 15, 2012, 03:18:46 PM »
since I hate this "History" Channel show, but can't seem to not watch it since I *do* like to point and laugh, I found this blog entry about it perfect:  http://freethoughtblogs.com/blaghag/2012/03/the-genetic-proof-for-ancient-aliens/
For those of you who’ve never seen the show…I’m not quite sure how to summarize it. The footage looks professionally done since it’s on the History Channel, and some of the shots of the ancient artifacts are cool to see. But if I had to summarize the major theme, it would either be “Brown people never could have done <insert amazing feat here> because they were too lazy and/or stupid, therefore aliens had to help them.”

Yep, it's all of that and more.  A drinking game is about as much use as anyone could ever get from it. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
Re: ancient aliens
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2012, 03:37:34 PM »
Oh my.  This discussion again.  Don't get me started.

Yeah.  All over the world, brown people, who obviously could not have created writing or mathematics (or paper for that matter) before their contemporaries in Europe, were visited by aliens who for some reason had nothing better to do than teach them architectural skills and help them lift heavy rocks and make art work. 

I've got to tell you, I don't know a lot about many of the cultures presented on the show, but I know quite a bit about the Mayans and the Aztecs, and a moderate amount about the Incas and the Olmecas and a few other groups from Central and South America, and I GO INSANE with their interpretations and downright LIES about the content of texts, and even, in some cases, the physical environments surrounding the sites they are "studying." 

I really suspect that they alter some of the photos of artifacts to support their arguments. 

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2012, 03:52:15 PM »
Ha Ha, you won't be laughing on Dec. 21st, 2012 when the aliens come back and see what a mess we have made of things. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence.
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2012, 04:02:46 PM »
I don't even watch the history channel anymore, because so many of their programs are a joke just like this one. It's always one conspiracy theory after another.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2012, 04:25:28 PM »
And the landing strips. Why do the aliens need landing strips?

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2012, 04:30:20 PM »
^Xenu needs a place to land his DC-8s.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 04:43:59 PM »
I could buy into the idea of ancient aliens before I could the idea of a sky daddy.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 08:16:11 PM »
We watched this for a laugh and indeed got a laugh out of it. Sadly we get the History Channel in the UK too, though it does have some decent programs, but we do catch wind of crap like Ancient Aliens.

The show almost reminds me of AFadly, he took a load of 'amazing' feats that occurred in the Quran that he claimed couldn't have been done without today's technology (such as GPS) or assistance from his favourite Skydaddy. If I only I knew about Ancient Aliens when he was a member; it would have been an interesting discussion.  &)
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline BSD MAN

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-4
  • Be Not Afraid
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2012, 01:26:28 PM »
Ha Ha, you won't be laughing on Dec. 21st, 2012 when the aliens come back and see what a mess we have made of things. ;)

I recall a Twilight Zone episode from the late 80's (not the original series) that involved this premise.  The episode starts with alien spaceships in the hundreds/thousands ascenending on earth with their "leader" landing in New York to address the UN.  Earth quickly learns how advanced and supior they are, so a war is averted (earth sort of gave up w/o a fight).  The alien "leader" addresses the UN about how they actually created the human race on earth thousands/millions of years ago, and how absolutely dissappointed they are in us.  He spoke about how wars are faught with nuclear weapons, how it could be destroyed in minutes etc... The alien spoek about a "final solution" which all understood to mean total destruction of the earth.  The UN leaders asked for one more day so the UN could address these shortcomings, which the alien leader accepted.  Next day the UN delivers a book to the alien leader, which contained a world peace treaty signed by all nations of the world.  The UN was thrilled and elated with their hard work and result, which was world peace - no more wars etc while making the alien masters happy.  The alien leader looked at the treaty and started laughing. 

He said something along the lines of: "peace is not what we want.  We designed you to fight and battle.  To be warriors!  However, you took a perfectly designed warriors body and ruined it with your guns, crude bombs and missles and devices designed to kill the most amount of people without battle.  This is not what we designed you for.  We designed you for face to face combat -to be warriors.  We had hope for you in your Bronze age, but even then we had concerns.  Now that we see our error, and that our goal can never be acheived, we know what we have to do."Cut away to the outside, where the alien spaceships ascend and attack destory earth. 

So clearly, that's what we were meant for.  Now get your spear and shield up and defend yourself!!
The future of humanity passes through the family

Offline Babdah

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-3
  • “We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2012, 03:19:42 PM »
I have seen it in passing by the channel but in order to contribute to this thread I had to watch one, so I downloaded one and enjoyed the one about the "Nasa Connection", and all i can say is wow!!!! Such claims... Amazing how no real astronauts were interviewed.

I recall a Twilight Zone episode...

I recall the episode about how adam and eve came from anther planet and adam could not return because his planet was destoryed, and well eve her planet left orbit... and well I am sure you could figure out the rest...
“We live in an age disturbed, confused, bewildered, afraid of its own forces, in search not merely of its road but even of its direction

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2012, 04:37:04 PM »
I recall a Twilight Zone episode from the late 80's (not the original series) that involved this premise.  The episode starts with alien spaceships in the hundreds/thousands ascenending on earth with their "leader" landing in New York to address the UN.  Earth quickly learns how advanced and supior they are, so a war is averted (earth sort of gave up w/o a fight).  The alien "leader" addresses the UN about how they actually created the human race on earth thousands/millions of years ago, and how absolutely dissappointed they are in us. ...

He said something along the lines of: "peace is not what we want.  We designed you to fight and battle.  To be warriors! 
So clearly, that's what we were meant for.

Oh no, that's not what we were meant for ...

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2012, 04:49:48 PM »
Is it a COOKBOOK?
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2012, 04:52:13 PM »
Taste like chicken. ;)

Offline Turbo SS

• Graduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2012, 08:51:34 PM »

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2012, 11:46:09 PM »
Evidently not enough "history" has actually occurred so the history channel (they don't even deserve to be capitalized) gives us such nail biters as the dysfunctional fucked up family of "chopper" d00dz.. :P
« Last Edit: March 16, 2012, 11:48:32 PM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2012, 11:10:19 AM »
Eventually you run out of reruns about WW1 and WW2. There is a section of the population that is fascinated by this kind of thing. The endless supply of books, movies, tv series (Stargate SG1 leaps to mind. Pyramid shaped spaceships flying between the stars). Unprovable assertions and wild conjecture keep the pot simmering nicely. What are you going to do? It's harmless enough as long as its not taken to extremes.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2012, 02:31:55 PM »
It's a shame that so many promising channels have devolved into stupid, cheaply produced "reality tv". I remember when A & E was really good, with profiles about writers and cool dance performances. Now they run Magnum PI reruns and interviews with soap opera stars. 

There is so much "real history" that is truly interesting and important, but many people don't know anything about. Like the history of US intervention in Latin America, the history of the different religions in the world, the story behind the different everyday objects we use, the history of different languages, African history, Chinese history, Russian history, Middle East history, the history of capitalism and communism, women's history, gay history, history of science, you name it.

History explains why things are the way they are. You can't make sense of the world without it. You are living in an eternal present, where life seems to be a series of random occurences. My students love learning the "why" behind current events. And there are hundreds of underemployed historians working retail and driving shuttle buses at the airport who would love to put together such programs. Sigh.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2012, 02:59:55 PM »
Fluff, sex and general bullshit sells so they disguise it with names such as the history channel and even PBS has been coerced into watering things down because republicans simply do NOT want the public at large to know the truth..They portray a fantasy nation run by the magical properties of "prayer" instead of actual reality.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +940/-6
« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2012, 03:43:55 PM »
There's a whole lotta sex in real history....

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2012, 04:36:33 PM »
since I hate this "History" Channel show, but can't seem to not watch it since I *do* like to point and laugh,

Oh I always watch the ancient aliens shows unless something else better is on. The "experts" are funny, and I do like seeing what the ancients achieved, of course without any help from aliens or white people.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2012, 05:45:16 PM »
Well, the church and those "righteous" padres set those ancients straight....and got all that gold for god...

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2012, 06:56:19 PM »

Honestly I like trying to figure out how *I* would have solved some of their building ideas, like the prefab yet multi ton stonework in South America, or the moving of huge blocks of stone in North Africa.

I do love it when people look at that stuff and just assume that because the people of the time were primitive they were not intelligent.  There were likely as intelligent and driven to solve problems as we are, but didn't  have the intellect enhancements that we do today.

Like I said, it's always amusing when people take a look a stuff and can't picture it outside of their modern perspective.  Like the helicopter above.  Oh, sure it *looks* like a blackhawk helicopter, but obviously it wasn't, right?

Right?
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2012, 07:05:11 PM »
Like the helicopter above.  Oh, sure it *looks* like a blackhawk helicopter, but obviously it wasn't, right?

Right?

Uh, right...

But that doesn't explain the jet towards the middle right!

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +192/-8
« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2012, 07:31:21 PM »
Damn, that does look strange. Twilight strange.

I just watch a program on TV about the Georgia Guidestones.  That was kind of strange also. 

Lots of strange stuff out there but that is what makes things interesting.  At least I'm not at the point (like another show on TV) where I'm buidling a bunker to survive the upcoming shit. ;)

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2012, 08:56:06 PM »

Speaking of perspective how do you know that this is even the right way up? The picture is also cropped. So what is missing? Since we can read hieroglyphs what does it say because I'm sure it's not "keep clear of rotor blades".
« Last Edit: March 17, 2012, 08:57:57 PM by Frank »
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2012, 09:08:56 PM »
I suspect it's more along the lines of "Get to ze choppah!"

But that doesn't explain the jet towards the middle right!

Likes like a jet plane and a blimp mated to me.
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2012, 09:09:53 PM »
Speaking of perspective how do you know that this is even the right way up? The picture is also cropped. So what is missing?

It's located at Kom-Ombo, and fairly well known.  I like to use it a lot when talking to young earthers.[1]

http://www.sacred-destinations.com/egypt/kom-ombo.htm

http://greaterancestors.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/01/abydos3.jpg  <--  see top left

1. There is another cartouche from Greece that appears to be of a woman opening a laptop computer that I use now and then too.  I'll see if I can find it.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2012, 09:48:58 PM »
Actually it's an ancient Egyptian typo

http://members.tripod.com/a_u_r_a/abydos.html

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
« Reply #28 on: March 18, 2012, 03:54:18 AM »
It could be the ancient equivalent of another thinker well ahead of his time.. Da Vince..probably spelled wrong..doc gave me pain meds. :D