Author Topic: Priest sex  (Read 516 times)

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
Priest sex
« on: March 14, 2012, 10:00:01 AM »
At least 500 women in Ireland are conducting clandestine affairs with Roman Catholic priests, according to the leader of a support group set up to look after those in forbidden relationships.

An indication of the extent of illicit sexual relationships within the church was given after it was disclosed that Fr Maurice "Mossy" Dillane, 73, had fathered a child with his 31-year-old girlfriend.

Bishop Pat Buckley said an extremely conservative estimate was that one in 10 of the 5,000 Catholic priests in Ireland enjoyed regular sex with women and some even referred to their clerical collar as the "bird catcher".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/ireland/1508431/500-Irish-priests-having-regular-sex-with-women.html
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
Re: Priest sex
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2012, 10:50:28 AM »
Well, I hope the were not recommending birth control to these women...that would go against the Church's teachings and religious freedom.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2012, 10:13:52 PM »
Are there any catholics or ex-catholics who can shed some light on why the RC church does not allow priests to marry? Is it simply a concern that marriage might be a distraction?

I've always thought it's absolutely crazy to deny men a legitamate outlet for their sexual urges.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2012, 10:18:57 PM »
I'm sure the church leadership will go out of their way to deny any of this, or at least marginalize it so that it appears to be a non-issue.  And guess what...it is a non-issue as far as I'm concerned!  The idea of celibacy for priests is beyond absurd, and completely unsustainable in reality.  Catholic priests are biological animals, just like everyone else, and their biological urges cannot be put aside by order of a set of rules and a man in a tall hat and robes.  It's a stupid idea, and needs to be completely re-thought.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2012, 11:00:33 PM »
I think at 1st the church did allow married priests.  Somewhere along the line (12th century) I think it changed.  Prob some pope thought it was a good idea.  Jesus made His 12 gang members leave their families to follow Him so I guess that is part of it.  The church takes 100s of years to change if then. 
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2012, 11:14:02 PM »
well it's crazy. Practically the first commandment was for Adam and Eve to get it on. I don't think Adam struggled with that as much as he did with not eating a certain fruit.
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2012, 03:23:02 AM »
Because nothing says sexy like a guy in a black robe who has the power to destroy an entire families reputation... :?
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2012, 04:22:28 AM »
Are there any catholics or ex-catholics who can shed some light on why the RC church does not allow priests to marry? Is it simply a concern that marriage might be a distraction?

I've always thought it's absolutely crazy to deny men a legitamate outlet for their sexual urges.

Ostensibly, the reason the Catholic Church imposed celibacy on its priests was because they often accumulated considerable wealth, and the church wanted to keep that for itself, rather than see the priest's offspring claim their inheritance.

There is a secondary benefit to the church, whose main agenda is to inculcate guilt in their followers, and having priests abstain from sex helps reinforce the notion that sex is dirty and sinful.

Of course, the downside is that the priesthood winds up attracting a lot of homosexuals. Instead of being limited to a career choice of hairdressing or fashion design, and being the subject of much gossip, one can be a respected member of the community as a priest. One can still have a good time, because the celibacy rule really only applies to heterosexual sex, and gay sex doesn't produce any tell tale babies. If only those choir boys and orphans would stop suing....
« Last Edit: March 15, 2012, 04:24:09 AM by ungod »
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline grant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2012, 04:39:36 AM »

Ostensibly, the reason the Catholic Church imposed celibacy on its priests was because they often accumulated considerable wealth, and the church wanted to keep that for itself, rather than see the priest's offspring claim their inheritance.

There is a secondary benefit to the church, whose main agenda is to inculcate guilt in their followers, and having priests abstain from sex helps reinforce the notion that sex is dirty and sinful.

Of course, the downside is that the priesthood winds up attracting a lot of homosexuals. Instead of being limited to a career choice of hairdressing or fashion design, and being the subject of much gossip, one can be a respected member of the community as a priest. One can still have a good time, because the celibacy rule really only applies to heterosexual sex, and gay sex doesn't produce any tell tale babies. If only those choir boys and orphans would stop suing....

The guilt of homosexuality drives many to the church as they realise they need to practice celibacy rather than "ungodly" sexual activity. Celibacy offers them a crutch to stay away from their sexual orientations. It's quite well summed up by David Marr in his book The High Price of Heaven. He explains his reasoning to join the priesthood at a young age, as a homosexual, as the only real alternative to eternally burning in hell.
What if the hokey pokey is what its all about?