Author Topic: Devastating quote from Einstein about the impossibility of demonstrable Science  (Read 2388 times)

Offline Olivianus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-42
  • WWGHA Member
Einstein: "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Falsifiability#cite_note-25

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
You know little of which you speak. Proofs are for things like geometry - not science. Science is about the trends of evidence.

You are a fool.

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
Einstein: "No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong".

Einstein was a wise man. Of course, lots of scientists said the same thing

Proofs are for things like geometry - not science. Science is about the trends of evidence.

Well, theoretically, along the lines of trends of evidence, one hopes science eventually converges on the truth ...  :o

"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +252/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
Olivianus, can you please supply the source for this quote so that we may see the context in which he uses it?  When he talks about being 'right', is he talking about a specific thing, or about everything?  And please don't give me your own personal take, just provide the source where he said it and let everyone see for themselves. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline pingnak

• Reader
  • Darwins +34/-3
I fail to see how a statement of fact is 'devastating'.  He simply showed his 'faith' in reason, and the scientific method.

All knowledge based on science is an experiment away from being changed.  It's the nature of learning and evolving that knowledge.

Setting 'C' as the speed limit can be overturned if we somehow find a way to exceed that, or observe things moving faster than that.  Then general relativity would need an overhaul, just as Newtonian physics got their overhaul from Einstein.

Contrast with religion, where no matter how much evidence is presented to overturn their statements, people won't change what they believe.

The wisdom of knowing that you CAN be wrong, versus the absolute folly of believing you can't possibly be wrong.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member

Online kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...

....hold on, aren't you the idiot arguing that there can be no evidence?

That you just cannot know anything?

Seems that you've adequately disproven (by your divinely inspired "human experiment in cognition" gone wrong), the hope that deliberate obfuscatory intellectual dishonesty will disguise the act of disappearing up ones fundamentalism.

« Last Edit: March 12, 2012, 09:40:45 PM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
It might be time to find another platform for your "platform". 

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
Ironically, your misuse of the quote reaffirmed that you know how to devastate your own arguments. Whoda thunkit.

Besides us, I mean.

I'd say goodbye but I probably won't get the chance.
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian

That's right. Scientific method calls for falsifiability. It is the self correcting feature that makes science the most reliable method of explaining everything.
Proofs exist only in mathematics and logic, not in science.  Mathematics and logic are both closed, self-contained systems of propositions, whereas science is empirical and deals with nature as it exists.  The primary criterion and standard of evaluation of scientific theory is evidence, not proof.  All else equal (such as internal logical consistency and parsimony), scientists prefer theories for which there is more and better evidence to theories for which there is less and worse evidence.  Proofs are not the currency of science.

Proofs have two features that do not exist in science:  They are final, and they are binary.  Once a theorem is proven, it will forever be true and there will be nothing in the future that will threaten its status as a proven theorem (unless a flaw is discovered in the proof).  Apart from a discovery of an error, a proven theorem will forever and always be a proven theorem.

In contrast, all scientific knowledge is tentative and provisional, and nothing is final.  There is no such thing as final proven knowledge in science.  The currently accepted theory of a phenomenon is simply the best explanation for it among all available alternatives.  Its status as the accepted theory is contingent on what other theories are available and might suddenly change tomorrow if there appears a better theory or new evidence that might challenge the accepted theory.  No knowledge or theory (which embodies scientific knowledge) is final.  That, by the way, is why science is so much fun.

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/the-scientific-fundamentalist/200811/common-misconceptions-about-science-i-scientific-proof
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
The Olivianus Paradox:  Nothing can be known, including this statement. 

:D
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline caveat_imperator

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +6/-0
So Olivianus read the quote 76 times and still couldn't understand it? :?
"In the end theologians are jealous of science, for they are aware that it has greater authority than do their own ways of finding “truth”: dogma, authority, and revelation. Science does find truth, faith does not. " - Jerry Coyne

Offline Tinyal

• Graduate
  • Darwins +26/-1

Quite so :(

Brings to mind a co-worker, very similar in temperament, loquacity, & intelligence - when I can't avoid talking to them for one work-related reason or another, their faith frequently comes up.  In a sort of 'I'll show you mine if you show me yours' kind of way, I rapidly realize we're talking two completely different languages, with a very different emotional subtext - words whose common meanings are one thing are altered, or completely blanked out, as if I'd inserted an unexpectedly long pause into my speach.

Very frustrating experience, with some slight sad feelings, for the (perhaps obvious) reasons.  :(
Don't kangaroos skip along the surface of the water?

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are

It used to be called SolipsismWiki, now we may have to rename it.

There is hope http://solipsismhelp.webs.com/

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +78/-23
"No amount of experimentation can ever prove me right; a single experiment can prove me wrong".

Which is almost exactly the same as saying "It takes a lifetime to build a good reputation but you can destroy it in a minute."
-Will Rogers

As true as it is...I think it's wrong.

Everybody makes mistakes...who are we to judge them?

I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
Olivianus, his weak mind ravaged to the point of lunacy by having to constantly re-define the world to make it conform to nonsensical rules he believes in, has mistaken for weakness the very core strength of science.

It evolves.

Science is like a chain in which the links are constantly being tested. When a weak link is exposed, the link is replaced with a stronger one and we continue on testing with our now stronger chain. Scientistific theories are often proved wrong, at which point a better theory replaces it. That's the beauty of it, and that's why it works.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline inveni0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-1
    • iMAGINARY god

Actually, this is precisely correct.  Stephen Hawking talks about it in his book "The Grand Design".  It's a thing he calls "model dependent realism".  The general idea is that we can only base truth on observation, and he uses M-theory to demonstrate that when we look at something, we can only see it from that single angle.  And so we have to look at things from as many angles as possible in order to accurately describe something.

And that's precisely why science is stronger than religion.  Religion isn't interested in looking at the truth from different angles.  It's only interested in defining the truth--even if that truth could not possibly exist.
http://www.imaginarygod.com

My book designed to ease kids into healthy skepticism is available for pre-order. http://www.peterskeeter.com

Offline Petey

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +11/-0

That is an excellent quote!  It shows how diligent we must be in our pursuit of truth, and how humble scientists need to be in general.

Now, let's see what happens when we apply this quote to religion instead of science...

Oh, whoops!
He never pays attention, he always knows the answer, and he can never tell you how he knows. We can't keep thrashing him. He is a bad example to the other pupils. There's no educating a smart boy.
-– Terry Pratchett, Thief of Time

Offline Olivianus

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +2/-42
  • WWGHA Member
You know little of which you speak. Proofs are for things like geometry - not science. Science is about the trends of evidence.

You are a fool.

For your insolence I am not longer placing your link on my website. You people are some of the worst debaters I have ever encountered. You truly are the most miserable people on the planet. 

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +76/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire

For your insolence I am not longer placing your link on my website. You people are some of the worst debaters I have ever encountered. You truly are the most miserable people on the planet.

So instead of trying to engage in conversation, you'll just take your imaginary ball and go home?

Halleluja!

Much too difficult to prove you're not a fool, I suppose.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"

Oliv, you need to earn respect, not demand it.  Your arguments fail and you get pissy about it, being unable to admit that you are wrong.  You want to claim that we cannot "know" anything, but you sure do like to claim you know everything.   ;D  it's very amusing, but not anything new.  Christians all claim that they have some special knowledge and all fail at producing it.

And well let's see the possible definitions of miserable.  I'm not in a "pitiable state of distress or unhappiness", but I'm sure I do cause you "extreme discomfort or unhappiness"  since your nonsense doesn't fly here. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member

Aw, da poor guy is all in a huff because we won't sit quietly in the pews and bray "Amen!" once in a while?

;D &) :P :-* :laugh:
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline jaimehlers

• Professor
  • Darwins +601/-19
  • WWGHA Member
Given that you think you can redefine words and terms (example, a person is a proposition, so another proposition which follows from the first is the same as the person) when convenient because your view requires it, you have no room to talk about bad debate skills.  The purpose of a debate is not to use blatant sophistry to prop up your argument because it would collapse otherwise, the purpose of a debate is to compare views and see which is more valid.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +171/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog

You are a fool.

Damnit HAL.  Now look what you've done.  No one's ever gonna find us now.   >:(

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +819/-6
  • If you are religious, you are misconcepted
You truly are the most miserable people on the planet.

That won't be true if you go away...
Jesus, the cracker flavored treat!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
For your insolence I am not longer placing your link on my website.

Pony put me up to it, blame him.

You people are some of the worst debaters I have ever encountered. You truly are the most miserable people on the planet.

How very Christian of you.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +941/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
Whenever a Christian mentions Einstein, you know it's gonna be dumb..... &)
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Online kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...

If I'm so miserable, why am I laughing so much?

Oh that's right I'm laughing at you  ............you fucking limited joke.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +294/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Olivianus, you are absolutely correct. We're all miserable. There isn't a single happy person on the planet except you. You're a very special snowflake. We all love you very much and want to be just like you.
Now, would you kindly address the valid points that were raised? Or would you prefer to just leave us to our misery?
« Last Edit: March 13, 2012, 06:00:09 PM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.