Author Topic: Interesting Article about the Psychology of Fundamentalist Christians  (Read 2321 times)

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Interesting Article about the Psychology of Fundamentalist Christians
« Reply #29 on: December 01, 2008, 07:25:09 PM »
Here is Davedave referring to your supposed evangelism, born-again-ism, and sexual perversion:
The evangelism, the born-again-ism, and the sexual perversion speak for themselves.

Now, here you are saying that those three things don't speak for themselves:
No, they don't speak for themselves. You lose. On both counts.

Your post clearly accepts that those three things exist, and claims that they do not speak for themselves.  It would have been an easy mistake to avoid, but hey, it's you we're dealing with.

Well it's because fantasy claims that aren't true can't speak for themselves if they're not speaking for themselves, can they? 

I think we're done here. Everyone can see through this hogwash.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #30 on: December 01, 2008, 07:39:46 PM »
Everyone can see through this hogwash.

Oh, it's a public opinion matter, is it?  Would you like to start a poll of the "everyone" here to see what they think about whether you're a fundie or not?

Anyway, I'm happy to leave it as it is too.  I think you're a fundie.  Naturally, you're in denial.  You're no literalist; you only try to find a "soul" in a single-celled organism.  Sure, you used to engage in premarital sex, but now you see that behavior as the sinfulness it really was.  You'd never evangelize; you're only a Top Ten poster on an atheist web forum.  And you don't have an infatuation with the Apocalypse; you only try to warn atheists away from undertaking behaviors that would convince "other" Christians the Apocalypse is coming, behaviors that in another universe might be seen as "fighting for our Constitutionally-guaranteed rights".  And every woman that has premarital sex is a whore.  Nope, no signs of repressed sexual frustration and misdirection there.  You're clean.  Go about your business.

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2008, 08:11:28 PM »
Everyone can see through this hogwash.

Oh, it's a public opinion matter, is it?  Would you like to start a poll of the "everyone" here to see what they think about whether you're a fundie or not?

I didn't ask about whether people perceived me as a fundie or not. Clearly anyone with even the slightest theistic belief is a fundamentalist to you. Anyone with an opposite view to yours is obviously a fundie. You know, most normal people require actual evidence or admittance of fundamentalism like, for instance, self proclaiming being born-again, or how about ACTUAL proselytizing? You think debating a topic is proselytizing. Bravo. People see through your garbage. Look, I know you have a problem with definitions. We've argued about definitions before. You think opposite viewpoints in a debate is akin to proselytizing. Why trust your judgment?

Anyway, I'm happy to leave it as it is too.  I think you're a fundie.  Naturally, you're in denial.  You're no literalist; you only try to find a "soul" in a single-celled organism.  Sure, you used to engage in premarital sex, but now you see that behavior as the sinfulness it really was.  You'd never evangelize; you're only a Top Ten poster on an atheist web forum.  And you don't have an infatuation with the Apocalypse; you only try to warn atheists away from undertaking behaviors that would convince "other" Christians the Apocalypse is coming, behaviors that in another universe might be seen as "fighting for our Constitutionally-guaranteed rights".  And every woman that has premarital sex is a whore.  Nope, no signs of repressed sexual frustration and misdirection there.  You're clean.  Go about your business.

Oh right, I'm in so much denial. You can't find any instance of me ACTUALLY proselytizing (the real kind, not the imaginary one you're trying to foist on me) or arguing for end-times from my own belief system. You copy and paste out of context without looking at the 99% of everything else I've ever stated about the figurative nature of the bible and the destructive nature of religion.

Someone's in denial all right, and it ain't me.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #32 on: December 02, 2008, 10:45:57 AM »
I didn't ask about whether people perceived me as a fundie or not.

No, you threw it to the audience, not me.  If the question is what "everyone" sees through, then that sounds to me like you're banking on the crowd.  I was just trying to figure out whether you really wanted to do that.  It appears you didn't.  Probably a wise move.

Anyway, you said you were happy where it was.  I said I was happy where it was.  Why are you still posting here?

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #33 on: December 08, 2008, 01:46:11 PM »
On a different note, I recall watching a video about a man who had suffered a physical brain injury that completely eradicated his long-term memory.  He could not hold any thought in his head for more than 30 seconds.  After 10-30 seconds, he would rise and re-introduce himself to all the people in the room, having completely forgotten their names.  Because of the fact that he couldn't remember having seen anything before, he had a sort of child-like awe about him.  Seeing a flower, he would immediately declare it the greatest thing ever experienced.  A cup of tea was met with enthusiastic sensory glee as well.  The novelty of his experiences compelled him to keep a diary.  In his diary, he had repeatedly written something to the effect of, "This moment, November 24, 2008 at 2:49:37 PM, is the first moment of my life.  What a wonderful thing it is to be alive."  When his memory blanked out again, he would look down at his dairy, immediately scratch out the previous entry, and write in the same thing again.  When it was pointed out to him that, according to the book in his lap, he had written something very similar no less than two minutes before, he immediately denied having any knowledge of that entry, but would immediately write the same thing again.  When it was pointed out that the handwriting was his own, he could only repeat that he had no explanation for the previous entry, but was as sure as anyone could be of anything that this was indeed the first moment of his life and that the sensation of being alive and conscious was the greatest experience imaginable.  For the benefit of the video, they flipped through two years worth of scratched out diary entries this man had written.

The apocalyptic focus of the fundamentalists remind me strongly of that mindset, writ large.  They are so utterly convinced of the impending end of the world that they cannot be bothered to explain previous wrong predictions or even really look at them.  To even briefly examine them would be to distract from the urgency of the latest signs of impending doom.  Of course, we look at these things and see the underlying similarities, in the arbitrary nature of the "signs", the similarity of the mania surrounding them, and the frantic avoidance of introspection or examination of past mistakes.  To them, every crescendo that fails to reach that pinnacle is simply a crescendo leading up to the even greater crescendo on the next page.  It's a carrot on a stick, leading the donkey unending miles in pursuit of that fascinating temptation hanging inches from its face, just beyond its immediate grasp.

I believe the man's name is Clive Wearing.  His case is well known.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #34 on: December 08, 2008, 01:53:33 PM »
on the same topic... The following is another good analysis on why certain people follow authority, become fundamentalists, etc:   Someone else posted this to the forums a while back.  http://home.cc.umanitoba.ca/~altemey/
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/