Author Topic: Wind Farms  (Read 301 times)

Offline shnozzola

Wind Farms
« on: March 08, 2012, 06:33:38 PM »
What's the truth about wind farms w/o the spin?  We have a couple of the white 3 blade turbines close to our home that are now online.  I saw many last year in western NY.  I remember the fuss along the New England coast as far as birds, and the view.  Like alot of green energy, I would assume Europe is ahead of the US.

I found this site:     http://concernedcitizens.homestead.com/windfarms.html       -  for folks against windfarms in NY state.  Anyone have a good source for the science?  Wouldn't the benefits far outweigh the problems?

“The best thing for being sad," replied Merlin, beginning to puff and blow, "is to learn something."  ~ T. H. White
  The real holy trinity:  onion, celery, and bell pepper ~  all Cajun Chefs

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +53/-0
  • IXNAY
Re: Wind Farms
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2012, 09:59:46 PM »
In December, I saw thousands of the windmills as I drove east through Banning Pass on the way to Palm Springs CA - the most I'd seen anywhere.  It was quite a sight.
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2012, 10:19:25 PM »
What's the truth about wind farms w/o the spin?   >snip<
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2012, 11:00:15 AM »
The only complaints are coming from rich people who can afford to power their mansions at 100 times the current energy prices. Fuck them. Build more windmills, build more solar collectors, and when the rich bastards complain punch them in the face.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2012, 11:10:24 AM »
neat photo, Shnoz.  I've often driven past the wind farm in southern PA

Here's the industry website for wind energy: http://www.awea.org/  So, you can probably split the difference in what each site tells you.  I go for the TANSTAAFL  principle, there is no truly non-impact energy.   It's a set of trade-offs.  I'd rather have a wind farm than a coal plant. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +563/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2012, 12:59:41 PM »
I'm in no way against renewable power, like wind, water, solar (I signed up for 100% wind power for my apartment once I realized there was an option for it[1]).  But we do need to recognize that while we can help the energy situation by using these renewable sources, it won't solve it completely.
 1. though, unfortunately, I misread it and thought it was a monthly cost, when it's actually a yearly cost, so I wasted a couple of months making sure my financial situation was stable enough