Author Topic: The Probability of the Big Bang  (Read 22456 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: The Probability of the Big Bang
« Reply #754 on: April 12, 2012, 03:10:38 PM »
^^^ one of my absolute favorites. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-1
« Reply #755 on: April 12, 2012, 04:35:48 PM »
^^^ one of my absolute favorites.

Can't place that one...is it related to "Big badda boom!" ?

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #756 on: April 12, 2012, 05:25:25 PM »
What, still with the hummingbird, Rock?

Or was it an old quote?

Anyway, I explained it. There was more evidence than I thought.

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #757 on: April 12, 2012, 06:31:21 PM »
What exactly is it that makes it so hard for people like rock to understand that scientists don't support the BBT or the ToE just because they want to but because it is what all evidence points at?

One of the major selling points of many brands of religion is The Truth™. They market from the standpoint that unlike all those other guys who weren't intelligent enough to invest in their product you - the smart, young, handsome/beautiful consumer- can be privy to a far higher level of knowledge as imparted by otherworldly sources! What an honor! You see, even the world's smartest men can't answer the difficult questions of the Universe, but this magic book can! Just bend knee to the Overlord here.

Religion is a package deal which often comes with a false sense of entitlement and superiority, and reinforces this through groupthink and the demonization of anyone who isn't already a yipping acolyte of their particular, narrow sect. Since a divine authority has to be assumed true from the outset in accordance with the Terms of Agreement, it doesn't matter if there isn't any empirical support for the numerous "just-so" assertions, or even if they are flatly contradicted by reality - all that matters is maintaining faith in the source, even if it means keeping reality at bay. If anyone has the audacity to claim that the Emperor isn't wearing any clothes, it's only because they aren't enlightened enough to detect the intricate beauty of the robes.

Thus, the lack of any actual engagement on rockv12's part. To him it doesn't even matter that he hasn't presented an actual argument. Snorting, "You actually believe that?!" and rolling his eyes constitutes a suitable refutation of the Big Bang and evolution in his eyes, because he's a bearer of The Truth™. See, since he already has The Truth™ and isn't persuaded, then everyone else must be wrong! To many religious followers, personal feelings are valid indicators of truth. Simply feeling that it's wrong is enough. The fact that he wasn't persuaded is evidence enough that it couldn't possibly be true. As for those scientists - why, if they were really sooooo smart, then they'd already be fellow sycophants of rockv12's specific faith and realize that The Truth™ contradicts what they're advocating! They're just coming to silly conclusions because since they reject The Truth™ they are flying blind!

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #758 on: April 12, 2012, 06:40:31 PM »
Great, where do I sign up? Ship me one religion, as long as it is only $19.95.

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #759 on: April 12, 2012, 06:51:35 PM »
I don't know, religion tends to be a bit pricey. Especially that Christianity one, since God has mandated that his personal mouthpieces be spiritually equipped with personal jets, mansions, and $30,000 watches.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +35/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #760 on: April 12, 2012, 06:54:09 PM »
Check out The Great Religion Emporium's website.  Dozens of religions to choose from for the low low price of $19.95.  They only accept Billy Mays bills though.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Aspie

• Graduate
  • Darwins +34/-0
« Reply #761 on: April 12, 2012, 07:01:54 PM »
Ha, that's awesome! Is there a religion for the worship of Billy Mays? God loves the smell of burnt flesh, but Billy Mays loves beautiful wood - don't you?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 07:03:34 PM by Aspie »

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #762 on: April 13, 2012, 08:04:28 AM »
Can't place that one...is it related to "Big badda boom!" ?

I believe so  ;D
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #763 on: April 19, 2012, 03:23:58 PM »
EDIT: nevermind

2nd EDIT: the product might be only $19.95 but don't forget about shipping and handling.

Aspie, yes I love beautiful wood. Are you saying you have some beautiful wood to share?    ;)
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:09:11 PM by Samothec »
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

Offline nicetry54

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #764 on: November 11, 2013, 03:52:43 PM »
A lot of you do not realize that there is ZERO evidence for the big bang. Atheist's will say "Religion was just made up to explain how the everything was made." WELL isn't that exactly what the big bang is too? There is no science to it. Someone made it up to explain how everything got here.

Offline One Above All

• Professor
  • Darwins +224/-30
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #765 on: November 11, 2013, 03:56:26 PM »
A lot of you do not realize that there is ZERO evidence for the big bang. Atheist's will say "Religion was just made up to explain how the everything was made." WELL isn't that exactly what the big bang is too? There is no science to it. Someone made it up to explain how everything got here.

Either Poe or troll. Which do you guys think it is? Definitely necromancer, though.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-10
  • Gods become obsolete all the time.
    • Foxy Freedom on Doctor Who
« Reply #766 on: November 11, 2013, 04:00:07 PM »

A lot of scientists have wasted their lives then?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:22:38 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline nicetry54

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #767 on: November 11, 2013, 04:08:45 PM »
One thing that always baffles me about theists like rock here is their assumption that scientists just go with completely unfounded theories and everybody runs with it for the sole reason that we can say "It disproves God."

Not only is there the utter ridiculousness of the idea that somehow hundred thousands of scientists worldwide accept a blatantly obvious faulty theory (It has to be because people like rock who know nothing about it take one look at it and just "know" it's wrong) without even one of them speaking out against it or showing how it's wrong in a scientific way, but there's also the complete disregard for the fact that when people began to search for knowledge they did so with the assumption that God was responsible for everything.

That's what makes it so hilarious. Science never started out to come up with something to disprove God. People started looking for knowledge and they expected to find evidence for God's doing. Surprise, they did not.

What exactly is it that makes it so hard for people like rock to understand that scientists don't support the BBT or the ToE just because they want to but because it is what all evidence points at?

I would like you to present some of the so called evidence they have for the big bang theory.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #768 on: November 11, 2013, 04:14:40 PM »

Welcome to the forum, nicetry54.

You may not have noticed, but the last entry on this thread before yours was over a year ago. Commenting on threads that old is considered "thread necromancy" and discouraged. If the topic interests you, try to find a more recent thread on it.

Also, you evidently didn't read the thread very closely or you would have seen evidence and relevant links presented that make the case for the Big Bang. Even if you're resurrecting a dead thread, showing that you've actually read at least some of it is considered courteous.

I would like you to present some of the so called evidence they have for the big bang theory.

If you can find this thread, you can read back through it and find that evidence for yourself. Why should we spoon-feed you?
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #769 on: November 11, 2013, 04:17:38 PM »
I would like you to present some of the so called evidence ...

Please define "so called evidence", as opposed to "evidence".
What are your criteria for telling the difference?
Git mit uns

Offline Ataraxia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +67/-0
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #770 on: November 11, 2013, 04:19:43 PM »

I'm presuming the previous 53 tries failed too?
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-10
« Reply #771 on: November 11, 2013, 04:26:19 PM »

Will you read it?

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:13:56 PM by Foxy Freedom »
Neither Foxy Freedom nor any associates can be reached via WWGHA. Their official antitheist website is http://the6antitheist6guide6.blogspot.co.uk

The 2nd edition of the free ebook Devil or Delusion ? The danger of Christianity to Democracy Freedom and Science.       http://t.co/2d1KcJ9V

Offline nicetry54

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #772 on: November 11, 2013, 04:26:56 PM »
My apologies for the "thread necromancy". I did as you said and went back to the thread,read it very carefully, and still did not see a link or any evidence. And William I meant the regular kind of evidence sorry I'll try to be more clear next time. But Ataraxia if you have to be reduced to insulting me I've already won the argument. If you must ask it was just a random number that I chose. I was just researching information, saw this page and thought it would be fun but I've already wasted too much time on here. I'll come back later for that evidence. 

Offline Foxy Freedom

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +71/-10
« Reply #773 on: November 11, 2013, 04:30:11 PM »
My apologies for the "thread necromancy". I did as you said and went back to the thread,read it very carefully, and still did not see a link or any evidence. And William I meant the regular kind of evidence sorry I'll try to be more clear next time. But Ataraxia if you have to be reduced to insulting me I've already won the argument. If you must ask it was just a random number that I chose. I was just researching information, saw this page and thought it would be fun but I've already wasted too much time on here. I'll come back later for that evidence.

There are plenty of library books available. You should not expect anyone to give you a whole course personally.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:11:53 PM by Foxy Freedom »

Offline William

• Fellow
  • Darwins +92/-2
« Reply #774 on: November 11, 2013, 04:32:50 PM »
And William I meant the regular kind of evidence sorry I'll try to be more clear next time.

That's okay, thanks for the clarification. 
I was worried you might have already pre-judged any evidence we might bring ... you know ... because it might not fit well with your preconceived ideas.
Git mit uns

Offline jdawg70

• Reader
  • Darwins +238/-5
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #775 on: November 11, 2013, 04:33:02 PM »
I'm uncertain how much time you've spent on here, so perhaps I'm speaking out of turn, but to be honest, if making 3 posts and reading through this thread is something you'd consider 'wasting too much time', may I suggest that perhaps the reason that you've not seen any supporting evidence for the Big Bang theory is that you haven't spent sufficient time looking for it yourself?

Offline Ataraxia

• Graduate
  • Darwins +67/-0
  • "I am large, I contain multitudes."
« Reply #776 on: November 11, 2013, 04:41:16 PM »

You've read the whole thread back, that's over 750 posts and subsequent links, in around 12 minutes? You're either Johnny 5 or I can smell bovine sphincter.

« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 04:44:20 PM by Ataraxia »
"God is a comedian playing to an audience too afraid to laugh." - Voltaire

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #777 on: November 11, 2013, 04:42:42 PM »
Hello Nicetry54,
   First things first.  Does your name have anything to do with Car 54 where are you? The show/ the movie. 

Next, be honest, you want us to show you things to read and study showing possible evidence for the big bang, and you will say, here, read this book - evidence for god - the bible, and argue there is no difference.  The difference between you and I is I have read and studied a lot of both.  I was a Christian for many years, and after thinking through all the reasons for my view on the existence of god, I realized I no longer believe that any god has ever existed.  As of now, studying why science believes the big bang existed/exists, I am of the opinion that the big bang is true.  As science discovers more, my view of the big bang will certainly change.

In case you are interested in studying the reasons science feels the big bang is true, here is a list:

(as an aside, since NASA is first on the list, and I believe NASA helped invent the microwave oven, think of ways you would prove to someone that a microwave oven exists)

http://science.nasa.gov/astrophysics/focus-areas/what-powered-the-big-bang/
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang
http://burro.astr.cwru.edu/stu/cosmos_bigbang.html
http://www.umich.edu/~gs265/bigbang.htm
http://www.astronomynotes.com/cosmolgy/s7.htm
http://www.astro.ucla.edu/~wright/cosmology_faq.html

* Edit: apologies to Percy LeBaron Spencer of the Raytheon Company, credited with inventing the microwave oven   :-[
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 05:07:10 PM by shnozzola »
The irony is with freewill.  Atheism realizes we don't have it, while the fundamentals of theism demand it but don't want it.

Online jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +449/-11
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #778 on: November 11, 2013, 04:47:42 PM »
Actually, no, there's plenty of evidence for the Big Bang.

http://www.talkorigins.org/faqs/astronomy/bigbang.html

I strongly recommend you read that page in its entirety, but to summarize a few of the pieces of evidence listed on that page:
  • As you increase the scale at which you view the universe, everything looks pretty much the same no matter which direction you look.  This is known as large scale homogeneity, and is was a key prediction when the Big Bang Theory was derived from general relativity.
  • The cosmic microwave background radiation, which is highly uniform no matter which way you look, and is arguably the strongest piece of evidence that supports the Big Bang Theory.  If there were no Big Bang, there would be no reason to expect such a background to exist.
  • The fact that we have never observed any stellar object that is older than about 13 billion years is also strong support of the theory.
  • The existence of dark matter, which was inferred from galactic velocities and stellar rotation around galaxies, long before the BBT was considered as a theory.  The fact that the BBT predicts the existence of dark matter therefore gives it strong support.
There's plenty more information on that page, and I recommend reading it fully.  But this should give you an example of how strongly supported BBT really is.
Worldviews:  Everyone has one, everyone believes them to be an accurate view of the world, and everyone ends up at least partially wrong.  However, some worldviews are stronger and well-supported, while others are so bizarre that they make no sense to anyone else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +644/-3
  • Entropy isn’t what it used to be
« Reply #779 on: November 11, 2013, 05:15:29 PM »
Also, the cosmic background radiation was predicted years before we had the equipment to detect and identify it.

Which means scientists predicted that there would be background radiation in 1948, and in 1965, when instruments capable of detecting said radiation were hooked up to antennas, they picked it up. That wasn't what the people who discovered it were trying to do. They were working on microwave communications, but they kept picking up too much radiation. Putting their heads together with physicists, they figured out what it was.

While predicting something and then finding it isn't absolute proof, it sure points in the right direction.

You probably don't want to hear the latest scientific scuttlebutt, that the big bang happened inside of a black hole and that is where new universes come from.  No proof of that, but it is a possibility.

Never trust an atom. They make up everything!

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +69/-8
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #780 on: November 11, 2013, 05:21:20 PM »

Prove it.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +70/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #781 on: November 11, 2013, 07:33:30 PM »
My apologies for the "thread necromancy". I did as you said and went back to the thread,read it very carefully, and still did not see a link or any evidence... I'll come back later for that evidence.

I reread the first half of the thread and owe you an apology; no actual links relevant to the BBT were in fact posted. It rapidly developed into a debate about probability and evolution.

Still, I see that shnozzola and jaime have provided some information for you. The basics are there.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +222/-0
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #782 on: November 11, 2013, 08:11:57 PM »
If you have to be reduced to insulting me I've already won the argument.

Not really, NT54; I think you insulted yourself beyond redemption by claiming that there was no evidence for the Big Bang.  That indicates to Me that either you haven't researched the matter at all, or that you get your science information from sub-standard sources.

Before we waste time looking up evidence for you to peruse, I think that we should know a bit about your academic level. What's the highest grade you obtained, and what's your understanding of physics and mathematics?  If you're weak in either area, it'll take a little bit longer to bring you up to speed on the BBT.
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles