Author Topic: The Probability of the Big Bang  (Read 29022 times)

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +655/-28
  • Karma mooch
Re: The Probability of the Big Bang
« Reply #348 on: March 18, 2012, 07:13:34 AM »
I've seen demon possessed little girls pick up grown men and throw them against the wall.

No you haven't.  At best, you've seen "little girls pick up grown men and throw them against the wall"[1], and you cannot explain why, so you attribute it to "demons".

I've seen the name of Jesus drive out a demon

No you haven't.  At best, you've seen behavior change at the mention of the word "jesus".  There are other, more likely explanations than "demons".

....  I've heard God and seen Him work. 

No you haven't.  You've had coincidences you would prefer to explain with "god", because that is your cultural background and it makes you feel more important and special.
 1. and even that I highly doubt
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline JeffPT

• Reader
  • Darwins +201/-0
  • I'm a lead farmer mutha fucka
« Reply #349 on: March 18, 2012, 07:30:56 AM »
You discount demonic possession as being some insanity?

Demonic possession is an attempt at a medical diagnosis made by an untrained superstitious idiot. 

I've seen demon possessed little girls pick up grown men and throw them against the wall. 

Pick them up?  Like... into the air over her head?  And throw them into a wall?  I'd like to see that. 

Or is it possible that he was in a compromised position, she pushed, he stumbled backwards and hit the wall?  I had a 5 year old run into me once when I wasn't looking and when I went to step back, I tripped and fell over a tree root.  My wrist was sore for weeks because I used my hand to break my fall. 

I've seen the name of Jesus drive out a demon....

Here is a good Islamic page that says how to exorcise and how reading from the Quran can drive out the black magic and demons.

http://islamicexorcism.wordpress.com/2009/11/04/simple-guide-for-islamic-exorcism/

Here is a good Hindu video showing a Hindu exorcism. 

Here is a quote from the following page...  http://www.medindia.net/news/lifestyleandwellness/Exorcism-Driving-Out-the-Devil-42550-1.htm

Religion and Exorcism

Demonic possession and exorcism, along with a strong belief that dead spirits are capable of harming the living, have a long history in various cultures around the world. In ancient Egyptian, Babylonian and Hindu cultures, shamans or priest healers entered into a trance to identify the “mischief-making spirit" and to elicit from it the way to end the victim’s torment. Jewish folklore and Kabbalah teachings mention a malevolent spirit dybbuk—the soul of a dead person that re-enters a living person to carry out its unfinished agenda and is usually exorcised to leave the body through the toe. Muslims believe in a Jinn—an evil spirit that invades a human at the behest of Satan to cause illness, pain, and evil thoughts. Particular passages from the Quran are read out to expel the Jinn.

It seems Jesus isn't the only one who can drive out the demons.  I think this is pretty basic evidence that no form of deity is at work here, but just improper management of people with some psychological problems (that may even have been caused by the religious belief in the first place, given that they respond to religious incantations).  Unless, of course, you think exorcisms in other religions are valid, reasonable evidence of the existence of other gods? 

The diagnosis of demonic possession was invented by people who didn't understand what was causing some people to act differently.  It's still propagated today by people who really believe that stupid shit, even though we know a lot more about how the brain works.

Exorcisms are dangerous things.  They can kill people... 

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/12/23/australia-exorcism-killing-trial_n_1167369.html 
http://latino.foxnews.com/latino/lifestyle/2011/12/21/bolivia-arrests-suspects-in-exorcism-killing/
http://www.news24.com/SouthAfrica/News/Exorcism-killing-6-granted-bail-20111124
http://www.rickross.com/reference/exorcism/exorcism5.html

When are people like you going to grow up and face the fact that there is no such thing as demonic possession.  It's all psychological.  I mean come on!  Demonic possession?  How do you expect us to take that seriously?   

I've heard God and seen Him work.  I've experienced the supernatural in my life as well as many other people.  It's real.

No, you haven't.  It's fake.  Totally fake. 
Whenever events that are purported to occur in our best interest are as numerous as the events that will just as soon kill us, then intent is hard, if not impossible to assert. NDT

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #350 on: March 18, 2012, 07:48:07 AM »
My wife and I had an argument once. She was on the phone with her religious brother when I said, "I'm gonna give you hell." (She had burned up our car motor because she didn't want to get her hands dirty).

Her brother thot he heard, "I'm gonna send you to hell" and had her come over to his house. He and his wife convinced her that I was demonically possessed, and forced me to agree to see a "counselor" before she would come home. It was Ken Olson, former Pastor and former psychologist and author of multiple books (Can It Wait Until Thursday, When you Get to the End of Your Rope-Tie a Knot and Hang On).   

He had been defrocked for his secular views as a psychologist, and lost his license to practice psychology for performing exorcisms. He had retired from writing and lived in the neighborhood offering his "services" for free out of his home.

Forced with the decision to loose my wife and son or see an exorcist, I choose to see Ken. I knew of him from reading his books decades earlier. My mom had his books which were part of the self-help movement in the late 60's early 70's.

I spent a few sessions with him as he attempted to cast out my demons. So beore my last visit to see him I stuffed myself to the gills with all I could eat. I was so full, I could barely keep all the food down. At the session, I let him pray and annoint me and then I writhed and groaned and began to speak in tongues. The grand finale? I barfed all over him and his furniture, desk and carpet.

He made a call, and my wife and I had one more session with him and that was it. Years later, I explained what happened to my wife, amd we had a good laugh!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 07:50:13 AM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #351 on: March 18, 2012, 08:19:53 AM »
....divinely played  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #352 on: March 18, 2012, 11:58:25 AM »
Layman question : What's the evidence that the big bang happened? Most people just accept this as fact without knowing the reasons. It would be useful if someone could briefly explain it. Thanks.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #353 on: March 18, 2012, 12:15:47 PM »
The two pieces of evidence which are the most telling are the expansion of the universe (evident by the distinct redshift that all stellar objects excepting our closest neighbor galaxies have, and the further away, the more redshifted), and the cosmic microwave background radiation (the "leftovers" of the Big Bang), which is literally present everywhere.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #354 on: March 18, 2012, 12:22:32 PM »
To put it in simple terms, you mean that scientists think the universe is expanding because the colour of light coming from stars and galaxies indicate that they've been moving in a particular direction, and also because you can hear a noise that sounds like an expansion? Is that correct?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #355 on: March 18, 2012, 12:26:10 PM »
Layman question : What's the evidence that the big bang happened? Most people just accept this as fact without knowing the reasons. It would be useful if someone could briefly explain it. Thanks.

Well, we're here.  :)

In all honesty, if you want an overview, the Wikipedia article, though sort of long, sums it up nicely. Read that and then ask questions. That way we don't have to be teachers in subjects outside our own areas of expertise.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Bang

If you want something with fewer footnotes, try this site. It seems to cover the basics well.

http://big-bang-theory.com/

I could read those sites myself and write a book report for you, but the local theists have been asking us to do similar things all week long and frankly I'm tired. Hope this helps.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #356 on: March 18, 2012, 12:26:36 PM »

The universe seems to have stucture.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang#Galactic_evolution_and_distribution
you have to take their word on the changes, movement, unless you want to do the math.

Time also seems to be needed, for things to have ended up as they are.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #357 on: March 18, 2012, 12:32:25 PM »
This is from your link :

First of all, we are reasonably certain that the universe had a beginning.

How can we be certain?

Second, galaxies appear to be moving away from us at speeds proportional to their distance. This is called "Hubble's Law," named after Edwin Hubble (1889-1953) who discovered this phenomenon in 1929. This observation supports the expansion of the universe and suggests that the universe was once compacted.

How does a galaxy moving away from us indicate an expansion from a cetral point? Could it just be that it is simply moving away from us?

Third, if the universe was initially very, very hot as the Big Bang suggests, we should be able to find some remnant of this heat. In 1965, Radioastronomers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered a 2.725 degree Kelvin (-454.765 degree Fahrenheit, -270.425 degree Celsius) Cosmic Microwave Background radiation (CMB) which pervades the observable universe. This is thought to be the remnant which scientists were looking for. Penzias and Wilson shared in the 1978 Nobel Prize for Physics for their discovery.

How does the presence of heat exclude everything but a big bang?

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #358 on: March 18, 2012, 12:48:13 PM »
How does a galaxy moving away from us indicate an expansion from a cetral point? Could it just be that it is simply moving away from us?

You need to read some books* I skip them. But there is no central point.

Sorry, big bang is not one of my things. Rocks, chemicals, plants animals interest me.

*short explanation
http://math.ucr.edu/home/baez/physics/Relativity/GR/centre.html
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 12:53:10 PM by Tero »

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +747/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #359 on: March 18, 2012, 12:51:55 PM »
This is from your link :

First of all, we are reasonably certain that the universe had a beginning.

How can we be certain?

Second, galaxies appear to be moving away from us at speeds proportional to their distance. This is called "Hubble's Law," named after Edwin Hubble (1889-1953) who discovered this phenomenon in 1929. This observation supports the expansion of the universe and suggests that the universe was once compacted.

Third, if the universe was initially very, very hot as the Big Bang suggests, we should be able to find some remnant of this heat. In 1965, Radioastronomers Arno Penzias and Robert Wilson discovered a 2.725 degree Kelvin (-454.765 degree Fahrenheit, -270.425 degree Celsius) Cosmic Microwave Background radiation (CMB) which pervades the observable universe. This is thought to be the remnant which scientists were looking for. Penzias and Wilson shared in the 1978 Nobel Prize for Physics for their discovery.

You really need to read our quoting tutorial, otherwise you'll drive us all crazy. Normally I would quote you in context but it's not worth trying to clean up your stuff first. So I'll pull them out separately. Anyway, here's the tutorial

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,4259.0.html

You asked
"How can we be certain"

About how we know the universe had a beginning.

We can't. We're pretty darned sure, because it is the explanation that makes the most sense and explains the most phenomena. It might have some glaring errors or be just plain wrong. But we haven't seen any evidence of that yet.

Also, the theory only goes back to the beginning of what we know as the universe. It does not exclude the existence of anything prior to 14.7 billion years ago, and does not exclude the possibility of other universes or other complicating facts that we know nothing about. What we call the universe may well be part of a larger existence for which we have no clues. Maybe next week.

Then you asked:
"How does a galaxy moving away from us indicate an expansion from a cetral point? Could it just be that it is simply moving away from us?"

Well, astronomers have found that no matter where you stand in the universe, it looks like it is radiating away from that point. The same math that so accurately predicts so many other phenomena about the big bang tells us this too. Given that we can't go to another galaxy and confirm this, I'll go with what they've figured out. The math involved is over my grade level.

Finally, you ask:

Because the big bang theory is the only one that anyone has come up with that explains the heat. If someone can come up with an alternative explanation, they are welcome to do so.

The big bang theory was developed first. It predicted the heat. The heat was found when we finally had instruments that could detect it. Had the heat not been found, the theory would have been out the window. Until someone comes up with an alternate explanation that matches the math and the observations, we're stuck with this one.

Again, please figure out how to quote correctly. It makes our work easier.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #360 on: March 18, 2012, 01:35:44 PM »
To put it in simple terms, you mean that scientists think the universe is expanding because the colour of light coming from stars and galaxies indicate that they've been moving in a particular direction, and also because you can hear a noise that sounds like an expansion? Is that correct?

If you really think you came to the right place for answers, could you start a thread in the science section, please? This topic was put here in error.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +557/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #361 on: March 18, 2012, 02:57:37 PM »
No, that's incorrect.  Let me explain.  Redshift and blueshift are references to the Doppler effect.  It's exactly the same as how if you are standing at a train station, a train that is approaching you will have a higher (and shorter) pitch to its whistle, whereas a train that is receding from you will have a lower (and longer) pitch to its whistle.  This is because the motion of the train adds or subtracts energy from the sound waves produced by its whistle.  Redshift and blueshift work exactly the same way; if an object's light is shifted blue, it is approaching, whereas if its light is shifted red, it is receding.

In answer to your follow-up question, the thing is that every galaxy, in every direction, is receding, except for our very closest neighbors.  And the further away they are, the faster they seem to be receding.  One conclusion might be that we're at the center and everything else was propelled away from us, but that conclusion is wrong.  This is because we have actually seen the redshift increase since we started measuring it, indicating that something is accelerating the expansion of the universe.  This is explained by the idea of the space between galaxies expanding, rather than those galaxies moving at different speeds in relation to each other.

As for microwaves, they are not sounds.  Microwaves refer to a a particular length of the electromagnetic wave spectrum between infrared and radio.  In essence, they are a form of energy, the "leftovers" of the energy that was bound into matter when atoms started to form.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #362 on: March 18, 2012, 04:02:06 PM »
Way, way, way too much quoted text. Please only quote the smallest amount possible that you need to respond to. I've seen that you need to pay attention to this in other threads also. If you just want to acknowledge a person, you can also just say "Jake, thanks for the post ..."

Thanks.

I was quoting from the link, not from here. Thanks for your reply.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2012, 04:36:54 PM by HAL »

Offline Cyberia

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +35/-0
« Reply #363 on: March 18, 2012, 06:18:04 PM »
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_bang#Observational_evidence

There are least six independent lines of evidence:

Hubble's law and the expansion of space
Cosmic microwave background radiation
Abundance of primordial elements
Galactic evolution and distribution
Primordial gas clouds
Ages of the oldest stars
Soon we will judge angels.

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #364 on: March 18, 2012, 06:51:52 PM »
Could you elaborate a little bit on each of those?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #365 on: March 18, 2012, 07:15:40 PM »

Come on mate
with all due respect and not intending any aggressive attitude
  the link is right there and you are asking someone to take the time to educate you when in fact if you are really interested you'd be educating yourself.

Please understand that one of the artifacts of this forum is the relentless visiting of theists arguing everything/anything from ignorance[1].

That artifact requires us (before we can even begin to have a constructive conversation with said theists about a specific topic) to educate said theist in said topic so they can at least attempt to engage from a position of at least passing accuracy.

If you are really interested, do the work. :)

1. not all by any means ...but enough
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #366 on: March 18, 2012, 07:20:03 PM »
Come on mate
with all due respect and not intending any aggressive attitude
  the link is right there and you are asking someone to take the time to educate you when in fact if you are really interested you'd be educating yourself.

Agreed.

What do you believe?
What do you think about gods?
What do you think about atheists, or theists, or some other idea you hold dear?

It's time to stop asking questions and start answering a few.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #367 on: March 18, 2012, 07:20:43 PM »

The more you look into these things, the harder it becomes to visualize. Look into youtube and see what they have on each of those topics.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #368 on: March 18, 2012, 07:21:55 PM »

I'd love to.

www.Google.com

You're welcome.

Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline Anfauglir

• Global Moderator
  • Darwins +408/-5
« Reply #369 on: March 19, 2012, 05:52:03 AM »
Look at supernatural phenomenon.  Now you must believe in "spirits/ghosts", and the paranormal, right?  If there is a spirit world, then there is something out there that we DON'T understand! 

Nor have we ever seen this happen, therefore it is NOT proven.

Rocky.  I've not seen anything supernatural happen.  I've not seen ghosts, not heard spirits, not seen anything paranormal happen.  So - according to you - it it not proven.

So I can ignore it, right?  Or do you have any way at all that I can see this "paranormal" for myself?

Still waiting for you to answer my question about Great Danes and Chihuahuas, by the way.....
Just because you've always done it that way doesn't mean it's not incredibly stupid.
Why is it so hard for believers to answer a direct question?

Offline kymer

• Graduate
  • Darwins +5/-49
  • *** The One ***
« Reply #370 on: March 19, 2012, 07:10:30 AM »
Sure I'll look into it some time.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #371 on: March 19, 2012, 07:35:07 AM »

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #372 on: March 23, 2012, 12:19:43 PM »

No you haven't.  At best, you've seen "little girls pick up grown men and throw them against the wall"[1], and you cannot explain why, so you attribute it to "demons".

I've seen the name of Jesus drive out a demon

No you haven't.  At best, you've seen behavior change at the mention of the word "jesus".  There are other, more likely explanations than "demons".

....  I've heard God and seen Him work. 

No you haven't.  You've had coincidences you would prefer to explain with "god", because that is your cultural background and it makes you feel more important and special.
 1. and even that I highly doubt

Gosh, I don't think anything would be good enough for you to believe in a God.  If God Himself walked into your room at night and talked to you in plain English, you'd attibute it to something else other than God.  So what could be done to prove demon possession to you?  Absolutely nothing?  You'd NEVER believe it?  Awful lot of coincidences out there...don't ya think?  If I asked God, "God make the brakes on my car stop sqeaking, and then they did immediately, would that be a coincidence?  How many coincidences does it take to make a certainty? 

God works differently than He did in the Old Testament.  After Christ's death on the cross and resurrection, He uses the Holy Spirit to communicate with us.  We no longer have God speaking to us from the sky, like he used to.  But we have many proofs of His existence if you would simply open your eyes and mind to the possibility. 

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #373 on: March 23, 2012, 12:25:17 PM »

Demonic possession is an attempt at a medical diagnosis made by an untrained superstitious idiot. 

When are people like you going to grow up and face the fact that there is no such thing as demonic possession.  It's all psychological.  I mean come on!  Demonic possession?  How do you expect us to take that seriously?   

Psychological?  You are sure of this?  Have you proven this?  Someone above mentioned that there must or may be an alternate universe that we don't understand or know about yet.  That's believable to you?  But not supernatural, demonic possession?  You can't say in one sentence, "Oh, there must be an alternate universe to help explain how the universe was created prior to 14 billion years ago, we'll figure it out someday, but we don't know how it's possible at the moment"....and in another sentence, say, "Demonic possession!  You're a fool!  That's ridiculous to believe in that because it's not provable!".   Seems like anything is possible.  If science can help explain how a little girl of 95 lbs. threw a football player up against the wall with one arm and was "cured" through prayer and Jesus' name, after her parents sold her soul to Satan when she was a child, then go right ahead and prove it.  Good luck...

Offline rockv12

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +3/-44
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #374 on: March 23, 2012, 12:28:19 PM »
The two pieces of evidence which are the most telling are the expansion of the universe (evident by the distinct redshift that all stellar objects excepting our closest neighbor galaxies have, and the further away, the more redshifted), and the cosmic microwave background radiation (the "leftovers" of the Big Bang), which is literally present everywhere.

God and science can co-exist.  God created science.  Just because it appears that things are expanding means nothing.  It's science working.  God created the laws of science, they must work for things to operate.  But to use that as proof that God doesn't exist, is not a good argument.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #375 on: March 23, 2012, 12:46:15 PM »
Rockv,  your post to screwtape is an excuse by a lot of Christians, that they decide for themselves that an atheist will take “nothing” as evidence for their god.  You make claims that you’ve see such things but funny how such things are never filmed by anyone, never witnessed by anyone who isn’t already desperate for evidence on why they should keep believing, etc.  Similar claims are being made by other religions too and I’m guessing you don’t believe that a Hindu guru or an Muslim mullah or a Wiccan priestess can drive out demons do you?  If you don’t, why not? 

If you could pray to your god for your brakes to stop squeaking, and it happened you’d be all sure it was your god.  And you’d forget or excuse every time your prayers fail.  Suddenly when they fail, oooh it’s that God wanted me to have something else or that god said no or that god said wait if you remembered them at all.  Now, you want to claim a certainty, that *all* of your prayers come true, then show us.  Pray that the children in Somalia have enough to eat right now.  Pray that these young men and women are healed of their amputations so they may live the lives they imagined for themselves: http://www.voanews.com/english/news/americas/Haitian-Soccer-Amputees-Assist-Wounded-US-Soldiers-132302533.html  If you can't make these things happen by your prayers, why should I believe you that anything happens when you pray? 

If you god exists, and is as you claim, omniscient, omnipotent, etc, then it will know exactly what it would take to make me believe in it.  In that it hasn’t yet, what’s your excuse now?

And ah, the usual claim that magically your god has decided to change its modus operandi. Why how convenient for lying Christians who have to excuse why it does *nothing*!  What I find even funnier is that your fellow Christians keep insisting that your god indeed does talk from the sky, that it does miracles. Tsk, who is the True Christian now, rockv?  You have provide no evidence at all for your god.  I do have an open mind but it is not like a $5 whore, open to anything that comes along.   I need evidence, rockv, and you have failed repeatedly in your claims of having such evidence. 

AS for demonic possession being “real”, that’s just more lies.  Humans used to think that getting sick was caused by supernatural forces, but they didn’t know any better and now we have science and we do.  Influenza isn’t caused by spirits, or “bad air” or “God’s will”, it’s caused by things we can counter.  Same with mental illness.  People who are schizophrenic, manic-depressive, paranoid, etc were all thought to be “possessed” and not surprisingly that was found to be wrong too once we started to investigate the brain with science.  Science has shown that psychosomatic illnesses exist and how they can be treated.  Your religion’s claims of exorcism are just like every religions and since you all think each other wrong, there is no reason to think that there is anything supernatural going on.  It’s just humans being humans.  And you can’t even show your nonsense about the little girl even happened (I do love how it shows that free will is bs when your god is concerned though and that your god is utterly inept).  It’s just one more story. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #376 on: March 23, 2012, 12:59:36 PM »
Rocky:
Gosh, I don't think anything would be good enough for you to believe in a God.  If God Himself walked into your room at night and talked to you in plain English, you'd attibute it to something else other than God.  So what could be done to prove demon possession to you?  Absolutely nothing?  You'd NEVER believe it? 
Well, first I would have to have an explanation of what god is. Do you have one? Then I need a reason to believe that god exists? Do you have one? Then we could try to answer about god walking into a room to talk to me.

I'd have to know what a demon is first.  I'd have to  be convinced one exists. Then we can talk about demon possession, what that would mean and how to detect it?

ADDED:
I see you gave up on probable causes and evolution.