Author Topic: How Can I Answer This Absurdity on Facebook???  (Read 2253 times)

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: How Can I Answer This Absurdity on Facebook???
« Reply #29 on: March 25, 2012, 08:17:49 AM »

I think that's a real shame. Family is family. There are more important things than what people believe or don't believe. I hope one day you can get reacquainted because it seems like such a waste to cut someone off for something so petty. Sorry but it has to be said. I would never cut ties with my cousins or friends just because of something like that. You never know when you're going to need someone.

It's just an un-friending on FaceBook, not necessarily a broken family tie.   :)

Offline Eaten by Bears

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: March 25, 2012, 08:36:09 AM »

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #31 on: March 25, 2012, 09:05:26 AM »
It's just an un-friending on FaceBook, not necessarily a broken family tie.   :)

Exactly. Facebook is a pain in the ass, and this cousin posts a lot of religious garbage. I have not disowned my cousin at all in real life, and neither has my brother. I've simply made it so he can't piss on my main fb page.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #32 on: March 25, 2012, 11:54:49 AM »
@EatenbyBears- nice one. really hits the nail on the head, i really do think that's the crux of the problem.

@kymer&traveler- i wouldn't sever a family tie over something like belief, but it's affecting their decisions such as that one promoting unethical medical practice... i would think about it.

maybe since it is actually family, it might be worth writing a long essay explaining things (in response to those things they mentioned) thoroughly (but without provocation) to try and knock some sense into these people!
love and truth and love of truth

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #33 on: March 26, 2012, 12:04:51 PM »
@EatenbyBears- nice one. really hits the nail on the head, i really do think that's the crux of the problem.

I think it shoudl be changed to "it's easier to read parts of one book . . ."
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Eaten by Bears

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: March 26, 2012, 12:17:46 PM »

I think it shoudl be changed to "it's easier to read parts of one book . . ."

Or 'It's easier to pretend to read one book...'

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: April 13, 2012, 11:08:46 PM »
@Traveler:

It's even worse, I think, that the Supreme Court made a ruling that nobody can sue doctors based on prescribing generics..  it looks like we'll be protecting the doctors and not the rights of the patients anymore...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."