Author Topic: Kirk Cameron is a victim  (Read 411 times)

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Kirk Cameron is a victim
« on: March 07, 2012, 10:12:43 AM »
"I should be able to express moral views on social issues, especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years -- without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach 'tolerance' that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square. I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect. I've been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally)."

So what is it that Kirk Cameron wants? With statements like: homosexuality is "unnatural...detrimental, and ultimately destructive to so many of the foundations of civilization." As for marriage equality, he noted, "Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve -- one man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage, and I don't think anyone else should either."
He claims he has the right to use freedom of speech to deny equal civil rights to a group of people based on their sexual orientation. But when his statements are attacked for their content he feels people don’t have the right to freedom of speech to call him an ass hole. I don’t understand it. Is this just an example of the religious moral high ground or the monopoly of all things moral in the eyes of believers? Or is Kirk just retarded?

And a final question. I don’t know if Kirk (or others like him) support gay unions but not marriages but how is speech that denies civil rights not hate speech?
I hope I live to see the day when all of this is looked upon as immoral, evil, and oppressive.  Perhaps similar to women's rights or racial equality. Maybe Kirk and those like him can be viewed as histories villains.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/06/kirk-cameron-homosexuality-piers-morgan-controversy_n_1324195.html
oops sorry here is a link
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 10:20:40 AM by G-Roll »

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +560/-17
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Kirk Cameron is a victim
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 10:33:25 AM »
He has the right to state his opinion on things.  And other people have the right to call him on it.  Complaining about it makes him a hypocrite.

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 10:34:32 AM »
"I should be able to express moral views on social issues, especially those that have been the underpinning of Western civilization for 2,000 years -- without being slandered, accused of hate speech, and told from those who preach 'tolerance' that I need to either bend my beliefs to their moral standards or be silent when I’m in the public square. I believe we need to learn how to debate these things with greater love and respect. I've been encouraged by the support of many friends (including gay friends, incidentally)."
Replace gay with African American and see if this statement still holds up.

As for marriage equality, he noted, "Marriage is almost as old as dirt, and it was defined in the garden between Adam and Eve -- one man, one woman for life till death do you part. So I would never attempt to try to redefine marriage, and I don't think anyone else should either."
Actually he just did redefine the meaning.  Also if it is only one man and one woman he needs to explain why God's greatest heroes had multiple wives.  Solomon and Jacob are the first that come to my mind. 

Is this just an example of the religious moral high ground or the monopoly of all things moral in the eyes of believers? Or is Kirk just retarded?
I wouldn't say retarded as I'm related to a person who is mentally retarded.  I've worked side by side with the mentally challenged and I've yet to hear them say some of the ignorant things that Kirk does.
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 10:38:54 AM »
Cry me a river.

Is it just me, or are a lot of religious people rather thin-skinned?  You'd think after all that criticism they dolt out, they'd be able to handle a little of it themselves.
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +43/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 10:42:06 AM »
Replace gay with African American and see if this statement still holds up.
Agreed and its a shame. Those that apply this logic do not place people of different sexual orientation as equals to themselves.

Actually he just did redefine the meaning.  Also if it is only one man and one woman he needs to explain why God's greatest heroes had multiple wives.  Solomon and Jacob are the first that come to my mind.

Bazinga!

I wouldn't say retarded as I'm related to a person who is mentally retarded.  I've worked side by side with the mentally challenged and I've yet to hear them say some of the ignorant things that Kirk does.
lol i stand corrected. i hope i didnt offend you.

Jaimehlers i think you nailed it....

Offline rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 10:44:26 AM »
lol i stand corrected. i hope i didnt offend you.
No, I'm not offended. 
Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 01:36:55 PM »
Replace 'atheist' with 'civil right supporter' and the stick with speech and you've got this:
[edit]
Image didn't work, uploaded to photobucket:
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:39:23 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2012, 02:38:27 PM »
  hmmm, I wonder if he has "black friends" too.  &) 

poor little Christian who wants to think that not getting his way is being persecuted.

"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2012, 02:56:35 PM »
I'm sure Nick Griffin has black friends. ;)[1]
 1. For those unfamiliar with British politics:Clicky
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 03:01:01 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.