Author Topic: TED  (Read 438 times)

Offline Jake

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-2
  • I see what you do there.
    • Pat Condel's Godless Comedy
TED
« on: March 07, 2012, 09:15:35 AM »
Having glanced around here a good bit to see if it's been mentioned and not finding anything in my casual search about it, I'd like to present to everyone...TED.

It's quite the resource.    Check it out.

http://www.ted.com/
"I don't respect your religious beliefs and I don't care if this offends you." - Pat Condel and myself along with him.   I do respect intelligence, rationality and logical consideration, however.    Humor's always good too.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Re: TED
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 09:35:21 AM »
Yeah, great source of vids.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 11:09:13 AM »
Sadly they've gone downhill as of late. The talks are not as consistently great. Most things that grow go downhill one way or the other. There are still great ones being made, but the earlier ones were dependably good, and oft times great. Now way too many are just so-so.

Still worth a look though. And the science ones always astound me. Even the newer ones.

If you are a glutton for punishment, there is a google docs spreadsheet that is kept pretty much up to date, listing every talk, including speaker and subject. The last update was in January, iand t has over 1100 talks listed. If you're a glutton for punishment, go for it:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AsKzpC8gYBmTcGpHbFlILThBSzhmZkRhNm8yYllsWGc&hl=en#gid=0

If you want to pare them down, google "top 10 ted talks science" or whatever you're interested in. You'll get some lists that are shorter and probably more useful.

And keep in mind that they release at least one a day, Monday thru Friday (or at least they used to). So if you're in the mood, you can make watching them a hobby. But again, that is also why they have decreased in quality.

Oh, and if you just want to get your mind blown, watch this one:

http://www.ted.com/talks/jill_bolte_taylor_s_powerful_stroke_of_insight.html
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 12:30:03 PM »
I  remember seeing this b4 but watched it again... thanx! My experience was similar to hers, only I had a calvarial hemangioma from a head trauma on the right frontal side of my brain. The blood vessels in the skull ruptured and the resulting bulging inner table began to slowly press against the brain. This part of the brain is where one holds their conscious awareness to what is going on around them and juggles the maximum number of things that they can hold on to. It also is the part of the brain that connects actions to consequences, and emotion center to the flight or fight mechanism.

Before the accident, I was to a great degree connected more to my "Deep inner peace circuitry" of my right hemisphere. I hated conflict and would blend in with every group never challenging the group, or I simply kept to myself and stayed in my own thot world. It was very difficult to stay in my linear brain and I spent most of my time in abstract regions of thought. The creative mind was very active and like a deer I was alert to every little new thing around me and tended to block out the mundane. I moved from thing to another unable to keep my focus on any one thing for any length of time. It was difficult as a child fitting in, but over the years I was able to adapt to my environment and became an "productive member of society." It was easiest to be part of a religious group where I could just speak the religious language and poly parrot the preacher for intellectual stimulation. I used my creative talents writing music, making and playing musical instruments, doing  beadwork, painting and other artistic endeavors.

After the accident as the hemangioma slowly pressed the skull into my right frontal cortex, my left hemisphere began to take more control over my thoughts and I temporarily lost my creativity. I became more analytical about things and also began to  say what I thot without caring about the consequences. Suddenly I could not believe anything without evidence for it and began to question all that I ever knew and believed. I became obsessive about knowing the truth and quickly became an atheist as a result of my research refuting creationism and other things that family and friends would bring up.

I began having myclonic seizures, had a retinal detachment, peripheral neuropathy and serious headaches. Most of that has repaired itself and I am much more balanced then before the accident.
The hemangioma stopped growing, I am writing a sci-fi novel and starting to get my creativity back, but unable to play my (many) musical instruments. I just don't feel like it.

Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +75/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2012, 01:54:40 PM »
Thanks for sharing, mm. Good on you for getting yourself back in balance.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2012, 06:09:20 PM »
In a post a few weeks ago, i mentioned getting a sliver. Methinks I won't complain about my health problems any more until they get as serious as yours, mm.

We would rather have gotten you into the atheist camp via a more conventional method. But if you have to adjust to something in life, it might as well be to the truth.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #6 on: March 07, 2012, 06:56:50 PM »
............ but unable to play my (many) musical instruments. I just don't feel like it.

Man, that's too bad.  I know how you feel, though, just not being interested.  I bought a used yamaha elctronic drum set a few years ago with 900 voices - from cymbals to timbales to tympani to digeridoo to saxophone to waterfalls  -  you name it.  It just sits.  Here's a cool site in San Fran though, to maybe spur your interest:  Lark in the Morning
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 06:12:18 AM »
In a post a few weeks ago, i mentioned getting a sliver. Methinks I won't complain about my health problems any more until they get as serious as yours, mm.

We would rather have gotten you into the atheist camp via a more conventional method. But if you have to adjust to something in life, it might as well be to the truth.

Hey if it took a knot on the head, it was worth it!

Problem is I had a retinal detachment so my vision is poor and my comprehension is not good at times. I fill in words like:
Little Smiles might read Little Caesars.

So I make a lot of mistakes reading posts and responding...but things are starting to improve slowly. This forum has helped tremendously.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 06:17:39 AM »
............ but unable to play my (many) musical instruments. I just don't feel like it.

Man, that's too bad.  I know how you feel, though, just not being interested.  I bought a used yamaha elctronic drum set a few years ago with 900 voices - from cymbals to timbales to tympani to digeridoo to saxophone to waterfalls  -  you name it.  It just sits.  Here's a cool site in San Fran though, to maybe spur your interest:  Lark in the Morning

The instruments I made and sold were selling but I supplemented my income by offering musical instruments from all over the world. My main supplier was Lark In The Morning! Thanx for the thot!

I still have several hundred (mostly wind) instruments lying around, sometimes I pick up a guitar or xiao or play the dagara and play for a few minutes. After I finish my novel and patent application, I'll probably be able to get back into music.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 06:56:24 AM »
bloody hell mm

go the fragile carapace route why don't ya?

I am so happy to hear that you are actually well with all that skull buggery going on.

What a shame punk has been and gone, I'm sure the myclonic seizures would've been v apt musically .....would've been an awesome stage presence ;)

Regardless of me seemingly making light of your head trauma mate, (I'm not really, it's just my coping mechanism ...visual artist fears) 
So what started it?

Did you bump or were you bumped? 

And I truly understand your value system saying it was worth it for the clarity/accuracy.

Re TED  I have to agree with PP

early consistent brilliance with a little bit of the shine taken off by dilution over time. But well worth the look.
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 07:28:10 AM »
Regardless of me seemingly making light of your head trauma mate, (I'm not really, it's just my coping mechanism ...visual artist fears) 
So what started it?

Would like to say it happened in a big fight with 10 ninjas or while stopping a bank robbery, or something like that. Unfortunately, I passed out from a painful bout of IBS while on the toilet and fell onto my head!

Arrg, I hated to admit that!

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 08:48:54 AM »
So what started it?

Would like to say it happened in a big fight with 10 ninjas or while stopping a bank robbery, or something like that. Unfortunately, I passed out from a painful bout of IBS while on the toilet and fell onto my head!

Mate  IBS cured you of god.   

There couldn't be a more poetic and accurate example of the wonderful randomness of being.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wonderful wonderful story  so much better that ninjas   

sorry about the dent ;)

and kudos for truthiness +1
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
So what started it?

Mate  IBS cured you of god.   

There couldn't be a more poetic and accurate example of the wonderful randomness of being.  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Wonderful wonderful story  so much better that ninjas   

sorry about the dent ;)

and kudos for truthiness +1
Ha!
Sometimes all it takes is a good dump to rid oneself of God!

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 09:45:17 AM »

Ha!
Sometimes all it takes is a good dump to rid oneself of God!

QFT  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +729/-6
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 10:17:21 AM »
What can I say. Our non-god operates in mysterious ways.

I find myself approaching my bathroom with a new sense of dread though.

Oh well, having a new phobia never hurt anyone.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 10:36:23 AM »
TED is a great site, though as others have mentioned, a lot of the best videos seem to have been around a while.

I'd go myself, but the price is prohibitively expensive (Somewhere between $7-8,000).
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.