Author Topic: Joseph Kony and the 'Lord's Resistance Army' (LRA)  (Read 1328 times)

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
  • Philosopher, Atheist, Musician, Philanthropist
    • My Website
Joseph Kony and the 'Lord's Resistance Army' (LRA)
« on: March 07, 2012, 04:19:30 AM »
This Ugandan guerilla leader believes that he has been sent by God to implement a new theocratic rule in Uganda. He has enslaved an estimated 66,000 children for his biblical-based attack and has been listed as a terrorist by agencies across the world. The USA have passed a bill stating that they want to disarm him.

A campaign called 'invisible children' has gone viral. ---> http://www.theyorker.co.uk/news/citynews/10807

Thoughts?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Joseph_Kony
http://s3.amazonaws.com/kony2012/kony-4.html
http://kabiza.com/Lira-Children-Kony-Rebels.htm
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 04:23:30 AM by ElliotViola »
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."
- Philosopher John Stuart Mill, from a Parliamentary debate (May 31, 1866);

Offline Karl

• Graduate
  • Darwins +3/-2
  • WWGHA Member
Re: Joseph Kony and the 'Lord's Resistance Army' (LRA)
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 08:26:45 AM »
Not too many ... The US themselves recently had a leader who sent mainly young foreigners looking for a visa but also own nationals to war, in the name of gawd and in order to fight evil. So there is no need to look for the incomprehensible in Africa or other parts of the world. The USA and Europe just have the better PR guys. That doesn't make the madness in the rest of the world any better.

Then there is the sometimes non political madness of creationists which is playing in the same league of insanity. The other thread regarding consequences of their actions speaks for itsself.

Offline G-Roll

• Graduate
  • Darwins +40/-2
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 09:24:53 AM »
He doesn’t sound too bad when compared to other  old testament heros. According to Wikipedia since ’05 Mr. Kony has 21 counts of war crimes including murder, cruel treatment of civilians, attacking civilians, pillaging, inducing rape, and forcing children into his ranks.
He is no Moses… hes got a ways to go to achieve that kind of spot in the Old Testament hall of fame. Maybe if he steps up his game he can have respectable truly intelligent people write of his heroic adventures like:   
"Moses, Eleazar the priest, and all the leaders of the people went to meet them outside the camp.  But Moses was furious with all the military commanders who had returned from the battle.  "Why have you let all the women live?" he demanded.  "These are the very ones who followed Balaam's advice and caused the people of Israel to rebel against the LORD at Mount Peor.  They are the ones who caused the plague to strike the LORD's people.  Now kill all the boys and all the women who have slept with a man.  Only the young girls who are virgins may live; you may keep them for yourselves"

So EVERYONE condemns Mr. Kony but Moses is a hero?

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2012, 12:21:02 AM »
Koney is real. That makes it different. Those wanting to stop him may be naive as hell, but I'd rather support a naive person who believes in justice than an indifferent bureaucrat who cares less.

Karl is right, of course, The US track record on anything involving what is right and wrong internationally sucks big time. But this is a case where politicians are being forced by sheer numbers to consider doing the right thing. And if it actually works, it might contribute to helping the downtrodden figure out ways to make actual changes in the world. The 66,000 children already victims, and the many thousands more destined for a similar fate if we don't do something, kind of deserve a serious reaction from other members of the human race.

Personally, I'd rather be naive and fail than be indifferent and obediently irrelevant. Hope that's not just me.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 03:03:41 AM »
Not too many ... The US themselves recently had a leader who sent mainly young foreigners looking for a visa but also own nationals to war,

Don't know how much of a difference it makes to you or anybody else but the young foreigners and nationals you speak of were at least 18 years old when they went to war vs. Mr. Kony's 9-12 year old boys. Oh, and lets not forget all the little girls sold or used for sex. Plus, I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam didn't kill any of our soldiers parents before recruiting their kids. But yeah, other than that it's exactly the same  &)
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 04:51:55 PM »
Let me pose this question:

There was recently a man in switzerland who said he was the 'army of god' and then killed a hundred or so innocent people.  They said he was completely delusional, going by his writings in his house, and therefore labeled him with 'schizophrenia' even though he never had any actual hallucinations.

Now, if so many people are in complete delusion (I live in Utah, where I'm still waiting for these golden plates to come back down to earth - these people are too busy floating in the clouds to connect with reality) saying that these people have disconnected with reality, and that is then the new definition of schizophrenia, then where do we draw the line and label these people with schizophrenia?

To me, I feel like I'm surrounded by insane idiots.  The drugs they do just make it seem more natural...
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 05:21:00 PM »
Jeremy, do you mean Norway?
The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2012, 10:22:33 PM »
Oh, yeah - my mistake.  Sometimes I get my dates and places wrong.  It was in fact Norway..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2012, 10:32:24 PM »
I really need to tell you guys as well about something I've picked up about Mormons since being here - everybody needs to be made aware of it.

There is a verse in the book of Mormon that they say, when they show it to you and you read all of it, you will have an undeniable 'vision' that Mormon is absolutely the truth, and anybody that denies it is automatically dammed.

Why do you think this verse exists?  And, why do you think that this is the fastest growing religion in america today?  Because it's brain-washing.  That simple.  Why else would one verse that you just have to read, convince so many people that an ancient bunch of red-neck jews lived in new york 2,000 years ago, died off, and an angel who lived in those times and wrote all that was on the two golden tablets that were dug up, couldn't even describe them to the guy and he had to use the 'Urim' and 'Yurimumum' goggles to make sense of it.. and a bird crapped a rock on his head to tell him more, and he was basically a fugitive from the feds for paligamy and was finally captured and killed in illinois, and they're bandits made off to mexico at the time.  Hell, why couldn't the angel freaking even tell him all about it - it was the same guy that wrote it.  The whole story makes absolutely no sense at all, and yet somehow, so many americans agree that it's the undeniable truth.

This is dangerous stuff, guys.  really.  When I was in college, there was an instructor teaching ethics and mingling it with religion.  He told us all one day to pay really, really close attention to a slide that he flashed us for a mere few seconds until we all saw it.  After that, my memory kind of goes fuzzy.  Also after that, everybody in the classroom was absolutely convinced that people lived with dinosaurs a mere 6,000 years ago; we were all of a sudden strangely wrapped up in creation vs. evolution, and every single person changed their major over to some kind of ethics or theology.  Also, everybody signed up for his next class...

The guy was eventually called out on teaching religion in school.  This happened in st. louis, missouri.  Why the hell did it take me seven freaking years to escape the argument that creation theory was undeniable evidence against science?  We were all brain-washed.  That simple.

If you flip the channels on your television, you will see these things all over the place on the religious channels.  This stuff is really all over the place. 

I suggest you guys learn about brain washing and how to build up mental defenses against it.  it's really going on a lot. 

How else would such a nonsense of a religion be the fastest-growing religion out there just by reading one single verse of nonsense?  Ask yourselves these questions for a minute..

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2012, 10:51:46 PM »
There is a verse in the book of Mormon that they say, when they show it to you and you read all of it, you will have an undeniable 'vision' that Mormon is absolutely the truth, and anybody that denies it is automatically dammed.

JESUS FUCKING CHRIST JUST TELL ME THE VERSE AND THE BOOK ALREADY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2012, 10:53:38 PM »
lol.. hell no - you might become a 'convert' and go on 'missionaries' and have rocks crapped on your head by birds.  ouch!

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:43 PM »
lol.. hell no - you might become a 'convert' and go on 'missionaries' and have rocks crapped on your head by birds.  ouch!

Okay, I used to stare at the sun...you know why? Because my parents and several other adults told me I would go blind if I stared at the sun for too long. News flash...I can still see.

Now, you dangle this tantalizing fruit in front of me and expect me to believe that you won't reveal the source for my own good? OH HELL NO! You will tell me where to find this magical verse and I will read it and it will be magical.

CAPICHE?

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #12 on: March 08, 2012, 10:58:59 PM »
Jay, is that Angelina Jolie's leg on Darth Vader?

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #13 on: March 08, 2012, 11:10:01 PM »

Why yes, yes it is.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #14 on: March 08, 2012, 11:15:09 PM »
I don't know what the verse is - I'm not mormon.  I just heard about it from stories from other mormons.  You'd have to ask a mormon and hope they tell you the correct verse........ ......

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2012, 11:18:53 PM »
.. I just googled.  Hope this gives you a head start on what you're looking for.  It didn't do anything to me..

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2004/02/the-book-of-mormon-will-change-your-life?lang=eng

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +175/-73
« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2012, 11:25:28 PM »

Why yes, yes it is.

I might show it to my Star Wars obseesed 7 year old and tell him it's Anakin's sister

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2012, 11:42:54 PM »
.. I just googled.  Hope this gives you a head start on what you're looking for.  It didn't do anything to me..

http://www.lds.org/ensign/2004/02/the-book-of-mormon-will-change-your-life?lang=eng

You are not much use to me alive are you.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #18 on: March 09, 2012, 12:03:18 AM »
Sadly, the Invisible Children campaign may be a little too "former colonial white guys" oriented, and not very realistic or sensitive to those it is trying to help. I'm assuming the campaign is sincere, but that doesn't make it a good one. Here is a story from BoingBoing that gives some alternative points of view.

http://boingboing.net/2012/03/08/african-voices-respond-to-hype.html

I'm sure there are several legitimate sides to the story, and it's probably hard to get a clear picture of what is right and wrong with the campaign. I hate thinking that obviously well intentioned people are now guilty of being white, but that may well be the case.

All possible solutions should be considered. And if there is a better way, give us a chance to support that.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2012, 12:07:07 AM »
There is a verse in the book of Mormon that they say, when they show it to you and you read all of it, you will have an undeniable 'vision' that Mormon is absolutely the truth

Some of You young folks may or may not have seen this. brainwashing is easy amongst friends, all you have to be is good actors… good liars. If the individual has a need to fit in. critical thinking would make one walk out of the room, without hesitation.

The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2012, 12:25:22 AM »
I'll give you another example of this:

Ronald Weinland: Preparing for the Kingdom of God, the church of god.  (PKG!!) 

He's convinced thousands that he is the end-time prophet, prophesized just how the end would come, and then when it didn't said that it was because god had granted more time, and made some more shit up.  Oh - and there's another stipulation - you have to pay 10% of your salary to be in the 'saved club'. 

He gives a book, with fantastic examples of how to jump-start your mind, and if you're already christian, you'll find yourself swearing up and down that it's the truth if you read all of it acceptingly.  But, he doesn't just tell you to read it once - he says, if at first it doesn't set in, read it again, several times if necessary; to let it really soak in.

Guys, brainwashing is a real thing that's been around for hundreds of years.  Hypnotism can make you believe almost anything the hypnotist wants you to believe.  Did you know they use hypnosis to try and get people to immediately quit smoking?  And, it works.  That event I told you about in st. louis - it's 100% accurate and true - I was there and there after - it was simply a form of hypnosis. 

The brain's natural defenses against brain-washing strategies is denial, denial, outright refusal to take in what you're hearing or reading or watching.  If you're brain starts to accept it, you'll find it getting addicting, and you'll find yourself getting sucked in - and at that moment, you must go right back to denail, denail.  Or just stop watching or reading that damn thing...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:27:30 AM by jeremy0 »

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2012, 12:27:47 AM »
Not too many ... The US themselves recently had a leader who sent mainly young foreigners looking for a visa but also own nationals to war,

Don't know how much of a difference it makes to you or anybody else but the young foreigners and nationals you speak of were at least 18 years old when they went to war vs. Mr. Kony's 9-12 year old boys. Oh, and lets not forget all the little girls sold or used for sex. Plus, I'm pretty sure Uncle Sam didn't kill any of our soldiers parents before recruiting their kids. But yeah, other than that it's exactly the same  &)

Not to mention the vast majority of US soldiers are US citizens, with a tiny percentage of immigrants among them. Karl suggests the exact opposite. Patently false.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:05 AM »
@Jeremy

Oddly enough I could see, while I was reading the link you provided, how the brainwashing sets in. It really will change your life...if you want change. For me personally, I could see a link between the emphasis on being *born again*[1] and a very short story I posted earlier today and am reminded of a theory I had some time ago about God communicating through coincidence. 

However, I am still extremely let down that you could not provide the specific verse you mentioned.  >:(
 1. an emotional appeal at a second chance to redeem past mistakes

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2012, 12:54:20 AM »
@jaybwell.  No worries.  I really enjoyed our conversation.  But reading through that guy's site, it may not be one verse but many.  That's probably what all these missionaries are taught to tell people when they go door-to-door.

But I am serious about hypnosis and the sort - it's really being done.  And I absolutely hate it. 

When I posted you that link, I went back to it and thought - this will be really interesting.  Then, the further and further down I read I started feeling myself get drawn in, and had to stop reading.  It was about the time my head stopped thinking, this is stupid, this is fake, these guys are insane, there's no way I'll believe this, and then, suddenly, lightbulbs start going off in your brain and I went - oops!  Time to change the channel...
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 01:04:11 AM by jeremy0 »

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #24 on: March 09, 2012, 01:03:35 AM »
@jaybwell:

I commented on your post, btw.  It was a really good narrative to describe a way of seeing things in a certain way.  And also a good example of how religions come to be..

Offline pingnak

« Reply #25 on: March 09, 2012, 02:09:28 AM »

http://memebase.com/2012/03/08/internet-memes-kony-hawks-underground/

Sadly, this LRA thing has been going on for a long, long time.

Turning little boys into soldiers, and raising them to rape/mutilate women, usually to death.  Wash, rinse, repeat.

Because the ten commandments, which they insist that want to be THE law (why they're doing all of this hideous evil), doesn't say anything about rape and child thralls.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #27 on: March 09, 2012, 03:40:09 AM »
Great conversation on this thread so far. I did some more research into this, and everything Kony says about taking over the government, and he does with the children and everything...

Psalm 137:9: 'Happy is the one who takes your babies and smashes them against the rocks!'

Just sayin'... He's sounding pretty OT.

Then you think about how the moabites, the Babylonians etc felt when the Israelites tried to kill them... Clearly he is actually a Shamanic Witchdoctor Prophet from God... (YHWH is diversifying ;) )
"Although it is not true that all conservatives are stupid people, it is true that most stupid people are conservative."

Offline EV

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +52/-1
    • My Website
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 03:45:40 AM »