Author Topic: Saying Goodbye.  (Read 5824 times)

Offline Goodkat

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • A man's delusion is insanity, a nation's, religion
Saying Goodbye.
« on: November 04, 2008, 11:32:37 AM »
I will not be posting here anymore, my father overheard me talking to my sister last night, and went into a fit  of rage. He shoved me into his room and yelled at me with his hand around my throat. He told me that I was using his money to slander Christ, and threatened several times to "beat the living shit out of" me. He's taking my computer and forbidding me from talking to my sister to try to prevent her indoctrination. I will miss you all, and I hope I have been helpful to the forum. Goodbye

GoodKat

Offline WellManicuredMan

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
Re: Saying Goodbye.
« Reply #1 on: November 04, 2008, 12:03:42 PM »
That's absolutely horrible. Since you must still be a minor, can you claim child abuse? Strangling sounds like abuse to me.

I wish you best of luck in the future; hopefully once you are free from your tyrannical father you can return here.

Offline Atheist_Convert

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2008, 12:06:09 PM »
Goodkat, that is indeed horrible. I'm sure your father's actions will demonstrate what a kind and loving jesus he wants your sister to continue to worship and adore.

I have enjoyed your contributions for sure and hope we will one day see your return.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • That's right. A red X. yaaay.
« Reply #3 on: November 04, 2008, 12:08:50 PM »
I will not be posting here anymore, my father overheard me talking to my sister last night, and went into a fit  of rage. He shoved me into his room and yelled at me with his hand around my throat. He told me that I was using his money to slander Christ, and threatened several times to "beat the living s**t out of" me. He's taking my computer and forbidding me from talking to my sister to try to prevent her indoctrination. I will miss you all, and I hope I have been helpful to the forum. Goodbye

GoodKat

Well, the hand around the throat and the threats were not necessary. That is also child abuse. Call the cops.
You can't prove it either way so you have to make a choice.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #4 on: November 04, 2008, 12:10:31 PM »
We must stop trying to prove the non-existence of God.
We must start trying to cause it.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #5 on: November 04, 2008, 12:14:45 PM »
amazing how many "good Christians" are some of the worst people in the world.  Vermin. 

Best of luck, GK. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #6 on: November 04, 2008, 12:19:11 PM »
I believe Goodkat was over the age of 18.  This isn't child abuse.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2008, 12:41:03 PM »
I believe Goodkat was over the age of 18.  This isn't child abuse.

Then Goodkat should have gave him a swift kick in the balls. I remember the last time my dad threatened to "box my ears!" LOL

I was 22 and I told him to bring it. HE didn't. LOL  Nor would he have gotten away with it. ; )

We never got along for about 5 years after that. We are cool now though.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 01:11:28 PM by nihilanth »

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2008, 12:43:57 PM »
Nihilanth, do you think this constitutes a mere angry disagreement?
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2008, 01:13:39 PM »
Nihilanth, do you think this constitutes a mere angry disagreement?

Probably. However the hand around the throat is assault, and the threats are illegal as well. Without the physical parts, and the threats, the father would have been completely justified. His money, his internet.

He was probably more shocked than anything.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2008, 01:15:41 PM »
Having had a fundamentalist father who told me to follow his church or go to hell at age 12, and having been, in most important ways, disowned by him for nearly a decade afterward, I find your assumptions about this being a "mere angry disagreement" both stupid and offensive.  You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.
I have not encountered any mechanical malfunctioning in my spirit.  It works every single time I need it to.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2008, 01:37:37 PM »
On that note, Goodkat, I sympathize deeply.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2008, 01:37:49 PM »
Having had a fundamentalist father who told me to follow his church or go to hell at age 12, and having been, in most important ways, disowned by him for nearly a decade afterward, I find your assumptions about this being a "mere angry disagreement" both stupid and offensive.  You clearly have no idea what you're talking about.

Really? Let's see. Using his fathers internet which the father was paying for to conduct an activity that the father did not agree with. Goodkats bad.

Father putting his hands around his sons throat and screaming at him and threatening to beat him. Fathers bad.

Anger was definately involved and it was a dissagreement. I believe I certainly do have an clue what I am talking about. I am just not getting all subjective about it, like you are.

Here is a good clue. You are an atheist because your father scared you with this religious threat for He had no right to tell you that you were going to hell. This frightened you and you saw God in the same light as you see your father. This is not hard to figure out. I bet most of the people here are atheists because of a similar situation, or a bad experience with a certain religious denomination.

I knew this coming in man. I was going to start a post about it. But I declined. I figured all the responses I would get would be emotional rantings and spitting anger for opening up old emotional wounds. Also, the overly defensive attacks and insults I would have to endure.

I once had a cranky verbally abusive athesitic father. He is a much nicer guy now. Age has quenched that fire in him. He used to hate cats. Now he has taken in a stray. He is still a bit of an arguementative dick at times, and he is quite prejudiced, but he has calmed down quite a bit. He still admits that he is an atheist, but he feels that he is missing something in his life. I do not push my beliefs on him, but he respects them.

Is this a good alalogy of the situation?

Offline Deus ex Machina

• Fellow
  • Darwins +23/-3
  • non-cdesign-proponentsist
« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2008, 01:43:57 PM »
Dreadful news. I'm deeply sorry to hear this, Goodkat. :(
No day in which you learn something is wasted.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2008, 01:47:10 PM »
Here is a good clue. You are an atheist because your father scared you with this religious threat for He had no right to tell you that you were going to hell. This frightened you and you saw God in the same light as you see your father. This is not hard to figure out. I bet most of the people here are atheists because of a similar situation, or a bad experience with a certain religious denomination.

100% wrong, nihilanth.  I was already an atheist at the time.  It was my atheism that caused the rift between myself and my father, not the fact that I was playing MTG.  You have it entirely backwards.  Will you admit you were wrong, or do you need to believe in your assumption about me so badly that you'll ignore the correction?

Anger was definately involved and it was a dissagreement. I believe I certainly do have an clue what I am talking about. I am just not getting all subjective about it, like you are.

The key word was "mere".  Do you really think that this disagreement was purely one about (im)proper internet use?  That's not how Goodkat characterized it.  Though you'd know better than Goodkat, right?

I once had a cranky verbally abusive athesitic father. He is a much nicer guy now. Age has quenched that fire in him. He used to hate cats. Now he has taken in a stray. He is still a bit of an arguementative dick at times, and he is quite prejudiced, but he has calmed down quite a bit. He still admits that he is an atheist, but he feels that he is missing something in his life. I do not push my beliefs on him, but he respects them.

Did he shun you for a decade for being a Christian?  If not, then no, it's a terrible analogy.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2008, 01:50:45 PM »

100% wrong, nihilanth.  I was already an atheist at the time.  It was my atheism that caused the rift between myself and my father, not the fact that I was playing MTG.  You have it entirely backwards.  Will you admit you were wrong, or do you need to believe in your assumption about me so badly that you'll ignore the correction?

The key word was "mere".  Do you really think that this disagreement was purely one about (im)proper internet use?  That's not how Goodkat characterized it.  Though you'd know better than Goodkat, right?

Did he shun you for a decade for being a Christian?  If not, then no, it's a terrible analogy.

As of you would know what you were talking about at age 12. No 12 yearold could even understand the concept of theism or athesim. You probably became an athesit because you realized that your father was a religious nut and you were sane.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #16 on: November 04, 2008, 01:53:26 PM »
So now, not only does nihilanth know more about Goodkat's situation than Goodkat does, but he also knows more about me at age 12 than I do.  Nihilanth, is the holy spirit giving you this info, or are you just making stuff up?

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: November 04, 2008, 02:06:31 PM »
So now, not only does nihilanth know more about Goodkat's situation than Goodkat does, but he also knows more about me at age 12 than I do.  Nihilanth, is the holy spirit giving you this info, or are you just making stuff up?

I will admit that I am making an opiniated assumption. I have no problem with that. it is just in my experience I notice that strong minded chldren of overly zelous religious nuts turn away from religion. It is just an observed occourance that I have noticed.

I meant no offense. I apologize if I did indeed offend you.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #18 on: November 04, 2008, 02:12:43 PM »
I was actually pretty much oblivious to my father's fundamentalism up until that point.  My parents divorced when I was 4, so I didn't get exposed to his religion's fundamentalist side until my father blasted me with it.  I honestly and truly never considered him a zealot up until that point.  So your observation:
I notice that strong minded chldren of overly zelous religious nuts turn away from religion.
...is not applicable.

Regarding your apology, I accept it in its own limited scope.  I.e., I accept the apology for the offense.  However, your views - apparently unchanged - are still highly offensive and inaccurate.

At any rate, I've more or less reconciled with my own father (though we make a point of not discussing religion if we can help it).  Forget my offense, and my pain.  Please, consider Goodkat's.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 02:18:45 PM by Azdgari »

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #19 on: November 04, 2008, 02:21:41 PM »
I was actually pretty much oblivious to my father's fundamentalism up until that point.  My parents divorced when I was 4, so I didn't get exposed to his religion's fundamentalist side until my father blasted me with it.  I honestly and truly never considered him a zealot up until that point.  So your observation:
I notice that strong minded chldren of overly zelous religious nuts turn away from religion.
...is not applicable.

Regarding your apology, I accept it in its own limited scope.  I.e., I accept the apology for the offense.  However, your views - apparently unchanged - are still highly offensive and inaccurate.

At any rate, I've more or less reconciled with my own father (though we make a point of not discussing religion if we can help it).  Forget my offense, and my pain.  Please, consider Goodkat's.

I empathize with your situation. Did I mention my verbally abusive father in the past?

I know it is painfull. no matter what the dissagreemnt is about, it is emotionally painfull. Especially when it is unnecsssary.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +301/-32
« Reply #20 on: November 04, 2008, 02:23:48 PM »

While this may or may not pertain directly to Goodkat's situation, my point here was that the verbal abuse isn't the main issue in such situations.  The personal rejection is.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2008, 02:26:00 PM »
I will not be posting here anymore, my father overheard me talking to my sister last night, and went into a fit  of rage. He shoved me into his room and yelled at me with his hand around my throat. He told me that I was using his money to slander Christ, and threatened several times to "beat the living s**t out of" me. He's taking my computer and forbidding me from talking to my sister to try to prevent her indoctrination. I will miss you all, and I hope I have been helpful to the forum. Goodbye

GoodKat

I'm deeply saddened to hear this.
Fortunately you can slander Christ for free and it won't cost him a thing.

For a man who values imaginary friends over money, and faith over family that should go over well.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Freezykow

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "For the love of money is the root of all evil"
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2008, 04:07:21 PM »
Goodbye sir... You were one of the most sensible and reasonable people I have ever met on this site. I wish you well.

Peace and God Bless.
When the power of love, overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace. – Jimi Hendrix

Offline Idioteque

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2008, 04:12:02 PM »
I will admit that I am making an opiniated assumption. I have no problem with that.

???
Just 'cause you feel it, doesn't mean it's there

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +125/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #24 on: November 04, 2008, 04:19:03 PM »
So much for the love of Jesus.

What a f***ing w**ker.

Goodbye Goodkat, you were a groovy poster.

As of you would know what you were talking about at age 12. No 12 yearold could even understand the concept of theism or athesim. You probably became an athesit because you realized that your father was a religious nut and you were sane.

I became an atheist at 8/9 because I thought Christianity was bad. I hated it and I had pretty much perceive the inconsistency triad (just not in a triangular form, I just knew bad things happened and that a loving god is a silly idea and heard of some of the types of Christians in the world), it wasn't until I was 13/14 that I started forgiving Chrisianity and realising where my problems with it lied and what the real problem with 'evil' was. I learned that evil doesn't belong to a specific group, just individuals and who the individuals influence to be like them.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2008, 04:33:06 PM by Seppuku »
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #25 on: November 04, 2008, 04:52:50 PM »
As of you would know what you were talking about at age 12. No 12 yearold could even understand the concept of theism or athesim.

Don't inflict the rest of us with the mental limitations you found yourself bearing.  Seeing as you believe that a Jewish zombie that was his own father had to arrange his own death so that an invisible part of our bodies could be cleansed of an invisible stain passed down over the generations because a talking snake convinced a woman to eat a magical piece of fruit, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't suggest that you have any familiarity with the upper boundaries of human intellect.

Offline Atheist_Convert

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #26 on: November 04, 2008, 04:53:25 PM »
No 12 yearold could even understand the concept of theism or athesim.

That may not be the most ignorant statement I've ever read in an internet forum, but it's right up there. I guess that means children who die before the age of 13 automatically get a free pass into heaven right, no matter what they've done, right?

Offline Star Stuff

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-4
  • Carbon-based life form.
« Reply #27 on: November 04, 2008, 06:00:37 PM »
So sorry to hear of this Goodcat.  I sense you'll find a way back.

"Religious bondage shackles and debilitates the mind and unfits it for every noble enterprise."  (James Madison)

This includes fatherhood apparently.
God is an Imaginary Friend for Grown-ups

Offline Disciple of Christ

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • "The LORD is my shepherd." - Psalm 23
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2008, 06:09:28 PM »

GoodKat

I think you should call Child Protection on your father. Or the next time he lays his hands on you, call 911. It will only take a few minutes for the Police to arrive, and they can see the red marks on you, and daddy will be off to Jail, where he belongs!

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If you need anything, just email me.
Luke 7:22 - "Go on your way, and tell John what things you have seen and heard; How that the Blind see, the Lame have walked, the Lepers are cleansed, the Deaf hear, the Dead are raised, to the Poor the Gospel is preached." - Jesus Christ 33 A.D.