Author Topic: Saying Goodbye.  (Read 12088 times)

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
Re: Saying Goodbye.
« Reply #87 on: December 03, 2008, 07:14:44 AM »

Don't inflict the rest of us with the mental limitations you found yourself bearing.  Seeing as you believe that a Jewish zombie that was his own father had to arrange his own death so that an invisible part of our bodies could be cleansed of an invisible stain passed down over the generations because a talking snake convinced a woman to eat a magical piece of fruit, I'd appreciate it if you wouldn't suggest that you have any familiarity with the upper boundaries of human intellect.

I think I just peed myself.  Thank you for that wonderfully vitriolic precis of christianity.  ;D ;D ;D
"When I was a child my mom put a picture up in my room of a chihuahua with big scary eyes, and I begged her to take it down. She said she couldn't, or the devil-clown under my bed would kill her." - Bug-Eyed Earl, Red Meat.

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #88 on: December 03, 2008, 07:22:56 AM »
No 12 yearold could even understand the concept of theism or athesim.

"According to canon law for the Latin or Western Catholic Church, the sacrament is to be conferred on the faithful at about the age of discretion (generally taken to be about 7)."

"According to Jewish law, when Jewish children reach the age of majority (generally thirteen years for boys and twelve for girls) they become responsible for their actions, and "become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah." In many Conservative and Reform synagogues, girls celebrate their Bat Mitzvahs at age 13, along with boys. This also coincides with physical puberty.[1] Prior to this, the child's parents are responsible for the child's adherence to Jewish law and tradition, and after this age, children bear their own responsibility for Jewish ritual law, tradition, and ethics and are privileged to participate in all areas of Jewish community life."

Perhaps you would like to retract your statement?
"When I was a child my mom put a picture up in my room of a chihuahua with big scary eyes, and I begged her to take it down. She said she couldn't, or the devil-clown under my bed would kill her." - Bug-Eyed Earl, Red Meat.

Offline Atheist_Convert

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #89 on: December 03, 2008, 03:17:53 PM »

Nihilanth?
Don't hold your breath. His ignorance is surpassed only by his arrogance.

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #90 on: December 03, 2008, 11:15:57 PM »

"According to canon law for the Latin or Western Catholic Church, the sacrament is to be conferred on the faithful at about the age of discretion (generally taken to be about 7)."

"According to Jewish law, when Jewish children reach the age of majority (generally thirteen years for boys and twelve for girls) they become responsible for their actions, and "become a Bar or Bat Mitzvah." In many Conservative and Reform synagogues, girls celebrate their Bat Mitzvahs at age 13, along with boys. This also coincides with physical puberty.[1] Prior to this, the child's parents are responsible for the child's adherence to Jewish law and tradition, and after this age, children bear their own responsibility for Jewish ritual law, tradition, and ethics and are privileged to participate in all areas of Jewish community life."

Salmon Rusdie was a confirmed Muslim at 14 and your point is ...?

I think, kids are not stupid but their oppinions are subject to change.

The rules you speak of might be directed towards keeping people within the faith in question ...?
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #91 on: December 03, 2008, 11:49:44 PM »

Salmon Rusdie was a confirmed Muslim at 14 and your point is ...?

I think, kids are not stupid but their oppinions are subject to change.

The rules you speak of might be directed towards keeping people within the faith in question ...?

Sorry, my bad.  I inferred a rebuttal without clearly stating it.

My point is that obviously some religions have decided that a 12 year old has the capacity to understand theism.  Which is in direct opposition to your claim.

Offline Doubting Thomas

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #92 on: December 04, 2008, 01:25:53 AM »
I will not be posting here anymore, my father overheard me talking to my sister last night, and went into a fit  of rage. He shoved me into his room and yelled at me with his hand around my throat. He told me that I was using his money to slander Christ, and threatened several times to "beat the living s**t out of" me. He's taking my computer and forbidding me from talking to my sister to try to prevent her indoctrination. I will miss you all, and I hope I have been helpful to the forum. Goodbye

GoodKat

Sometimes I think to myself I am absolutely happy I have no aggrevations in my life for sure!

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #93 on: December 04, 2008, 11:19:34 AM »
My point is that obviously some religions have decided that a 12 year old has the capacity to understand theism.  Which is in direct opposition to your claim.

I thought it was an excellent point, and made clearly enough for me.  One thing, though.  It wasn't originally Ricky's claim.  It was originally nihilanth's claim.

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #94 on: December 04, 2008, 01:16:23 PM »

I thought it was an excellent point, and made clearly enough for me.  One thing, though.  It wasn't originally Ricky's claim.  It was originally nihilanth's claim.

Ack! My bad. Ricky, I apologize for claiming incorrectly that you were the originator of the claim that 'no 12 year old is capable of understanding theism/atheism.'  I was wrong.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • That's right. A red X. yaaay.
« Reply #95 on: December 06, 2008, 08:23:24 PM »
Actually I stand by that claim. A 12 year old may inderstand the definition, but does not understand the implications or the deeper meaning of both.
You can't prove it either way so you have to make a choice.

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #96 on: December 06, 2008, 09:35:33 PM »
Actually I stand by that claim. A 12 year old may inderstand the definition, but does not understand the implications or the deeper meaning of both.

Care to share at what age the magic of understanding the deeper meaning of atheism/theism occurs?

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #97 on: December 07, 2008, 01:07:30 AM »

True.

Ricky's counter point was that while he thinks that kids understand more than we give them credit fo, that some religions have a non-refund clause (they kill apostates)  nobody should be held accountable for the choices that they make at such a young age.  Salmon Rusdie, being born in Pakistan, was raised a Muslim.  At 14, he thought it was a reasonable faith. He signed up.  Now, a famous writer with more knowledge of history and such, he changed his mind.    Because he signed up at 14, many extremists believe that it is o.k. to kill him for his apostacy.    I consider that a bit unfair.  (Of course, I consider killing apostates and heretics unfair as well.)

My 9 year old niece has a pretty good understanding.

I'm more than o.k. with a 12 year old reading about theism and atheism.  I'm not o.k. with them being taken advantage of tho.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Operator_013

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #98 on: December 07, 2008, 07:48:00 AM »

Nihilanth?

AC, please keep it civil.

Thirteen
Inactive moderator account.

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +476/-40
« Reply #99 on: December 07, 2008, 11:00:52 AM »

So when you said this:

...you were lying?  Or just wrong?  Despite your stated intention to run away of my posts (which I take as a compliment), I think you owe me a response to this one, given that it was directed at me in the first place.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #100 on: December 07, 2008, 04:10:02 PM »
I got a response from Goodkat's email.  I say from Goodkat's email because I don't think Goodkat actually wrote it. Or if he did, he was under supervision, being told what he could respond with. 

All the response said was "I have been forbade from discussing religious subjects on forums by my Christian parents."

Shit.  I don't know what to do now.  Davedave, did you get the same thing? 

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +447/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #101 on: December 07, 2008, 06:10:02 PM »
I got a response from Goodkat's email.  I say from Goodkat's email because I don't think Goodkat actually wrote it. Or if he did, he was under supervision, being told what he could respond with. 

All the response said was "I have been forbade from discussing religious subjects on forums by my Christian parents."

s**t.  I don't know what to do now.  Davedave, did you get the same thing? 

I think Goodkat will be just fine.  Parent's cannot hold their reign forever, and Goodkat is not likely to be swayed by force into anything.  Of course, I don't know Goodkat personally, but I have a suspicion that things will work out.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +411/-9
« Reply #102 on: December 07, 2008, 06:15:24 PM »
Remember that movie "Stepford Wives"?  They could have rewired his brain!!!
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Religions are the dingle berries on the butt hairs of civilization.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +447/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #103 on: December 07, 2008, 06:17:55 PM »
Remember that movie "Stepford Wives"?  They could have rewired his brain!!!

Yikes!

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #104 on: December 07, 2008, 06:22:48 PM »

Based on the formality of the response, I'd say, his dad answered his e-mail.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #105 on: December 07, 2008, 06:48:58 PM »
Yeah, I guess it probably will work out okay, but when I was 18 I left home due to problems with my mother (not religiously but similar sort of situation to this) and it was a bit rough.  Among other things, for about a month I had to sleep on a couch at my uni and sometimes in other places in the city.  Turning out okay is one thing, but having support through it is pretty important and it's still a bit worrisome when you don't hear anything and have no idea just how bad things have gotten for him.

Especially when your dad likes to wrap his fat hands around your neck when he's angry.

Yeah, I agree with ricky, it must have been his dad responding.  Either that or Goodkat knows his dad is screening his emails and has to give a standard response in order to avoid another throttling.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +447/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #106 on: December 07, 2008, 06:51:50 PM »
It's odd that he hasn't found a cafe or used a friends computer to respond, but perhaps his dad is tech-savvy enough to track activity.  If that is the case, he may even be reading this thread.

Parents can suck, when they want to.

Offline rickymooston

• Reader
  • Darwins +13/-11
« Reply #107 on: December 07, 2008, 07:52:52 PM »
It's odd that he hasn't found a cafe or used a friends computer to respond, but perhaps his dad is tech-savvy enough to track activity.  If that is the case, he may even be reading this thread.

Parents can suck, when they want to.

Probably his dad is reading the thread lol.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #108 on: December 07, 2008, 08:03:24 PM »
Good.  I hope he does read this forum.  He's going to be pretty lonely once he finishes alienating his children, and I'd like him to remember exactly whose fault that is.   Maybe this thread will illuminate that for him.

But hey, what's a little bit of family dysfunction and domestic violence once you get to Heaven, right?    I'm so glad that Goodkat's parents have Jesus in their life to show them how to love.

Offline Buster Fixxitt

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Full-blown Antitheist.
« Reply #109 on: December 07, 2008, 08:23:01 PM »
Good.  I hope he does read this forum.  He's going to be pretty lonely once he finishes alienating his children, and I'd like him to remember exactly whose fault that is.   Maybe this thread will illuminate that for him.

But hey, what's a little bit of family dysfunction and domestic violence once you get to Heaven, right?    I'm so glad that Goodkat's parents have Jesus in their life to show them how to love.

Well, if Goodkat's father is anything like my Christian Uncle, his family in the here and now 'mean nothing to him, his real life is the one he'll have with God.  Jesus is all that matters."

He's the guy who will usually go up to the bereaved at funerals and say stuff like "You are so lucky. It must be so wonderful to know *insert name* is with God. He's so lucky to be dead." etc.

He didn't say anything like that to me at my daughter's funeral, though.  He probably knows I've been waiting my whole life for an excuse to punch his adam's apple from an 'outy' to an 'inney'.

Offline Davedave

• Emergency Room
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • I'm back, hoes.
« Reply #110 on: December 08, 2008, 10:56:31 AM »

Shit.  I don't know what to do now.  Davedave, did you get the same thing? 

I haven't gotten a response.  If he's not clever enough to reach out to people that are offering to help him, then we probably couldn't have helped him anyway.

Offline Agent_007

• Secret Agent
  • Postgraduate
  • Darwins +2/-0
« Reply #111 on: December 23, 2008, 11:49:49 PM »
It is unfortunate that he isn't in a position to respond more positively.

Former Global Moderator Account

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #112 on: January 12, 2009, 11:32:29 PM »

Nihilanth?

AC, please keep it civil.

Thirteen

Don't hold your breath. : )

Folks around here are rarely civil, it's the reason I no longer post.

Offline nihilanth

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2009, 11:33:23 PM »

Nihilanth?

Go fuck yourself.  ;D

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +476/-40
« Reply #114 on: January 13, 2009, 07:52:19 PM »

Isn't there something self-contradictory about coming back on here to post a bunch of stuff about not posting anymore?

And looking over those posts, it's mainly you who are breaking civility.  Some of your recent posts have been a regular flame-fest.
I always say what I mean. But sometimes I'm a sarcastic prick whose tone can't be properly communicated via text.

Offline Atheist_Convert

• Graduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #115 on: January 13, 2009, 08:14:35 PM »

Isn't there something self-contradictory about coming back on here to post a bunch of stuff about not posting anymore?

And looking over those posts, it's mainly you who are breaking civility.  Some of your recent posts have been a regular flame-fest.

No shit! This guy has threatened to leave and then resurrected more times the DoC. If you look at his last two posts, the second to last one was a claim of leaving never to return, then, there's another post. Too funny. I'm sure he'll be back and tell us both to fuck off.