Author Topic: Open Invitation  (Read 2081 times)

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
Open Invitation
« on: March 03, 2012, 01:26:49 AM »
Seems that some folks over at IGI do not like the way theists get treated over here. I am being harassed just because I am from WWGHA and posted in a thread entitled Calling Gnu a Troll is now against Forum rules. All I did was give my opinion that Gnu was trying to help.

The thread is a way of bashing Gnu without bashing him "technically" and I am being bashed in a similar way.

So...I started a thread Open Invitation over there inviting those members to come see that we at WWGHA as a rule do not attack believers (as we are being accused by a lurker) just their beliefs.

Please accept my apology if I have misrepresented what WWGHA is all about, or have caused any problems for the members or staff.

Edit typos
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 01:52:23 AM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Open Invitation
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2012, 12:43:35 AM »
Seems that some folks over at IGI do not like the way theists get treated over here. I am being harassed just because I am from WWGHA and posted in a thread entitled Calling Gnu a Troll is now against Forum rules. All I did was give my opinion that Gnu was trying to help.

The thread is a way of bashing Gnu without bashing him "technically" and I am being bashed in a similar way.

So...I started a thread Open Invitation over there inviting those members to come see that we at WWGHA as a rule do not attack believers (as we are being accused by a lurker) just their beliefs.

Please accept my apology if I have misrepresented what WWGHA is all about, or have caused any problems for the members or staff.

Edit typos

We gotta have a beer!  I'm exhausted from my lovely encounter with the rules. 

Anyway, I have to say, the members here at WWGHA are generally good people, once you get to know them.  I think that people ought to always consider that a new member needs a bit of leeway before we collectively jump down their throat.  I'm not suggesting some sort of "let's outnice other forums" campaign, and I like the way this forum operates, but it can't possibly hurt this forum if we give newcomers a warm welcome.  If a new member chooses to be vitriolic, then we can call them out, and ask them to play by our rules.

We've had this discussion before, so let's collectively give it our best shot!  Please????

Alright, now that I'm done groveling, I'm hungry.  Any fresh babies on the pit?

P.S.  I can't help thinking that someone won't like my plea, so feel free to not like my plea.  And don't get in a twist about it.  Just be yourself.  Geez.   :o

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2012, 01:05:27 AM »
IGI?   I am lost.  What does this stand for?  I want to check it out.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2012, 01:08:19 AM »
IGI?   I am lost.  What does this stand for?  I want to check it out.

Another forum, like this one, but not.  isgodimaginary.com

And for goodness sake, if you register, don't be an ass.   ;D

I kid, but seriously, the rules are very different, so read them, and get to know people before you jump in.  I do want to encourage civil discussion between forums!

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:53 AM »
I promise to lay low and be good.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +27/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2012, 02:24:05 AM »
I've noticed a huge difference in various atheist forums. Some seem polite and almost in bed with churches while some others seem content to wage holy or unholy war with churches..
I gotta tell you..this one here, yes YOU WWGHA is kinda middle of the road except here you seem to have generally smarter cookies in the jar..another I sometimes frequent leans more to the...how shall I say..militant side.
Trust me when I say I feel safer here knowing you're not ALL stocking up on food and ammo.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:27:13 AM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2012, 08:12:06 AM »

Edit typos

We gotta have a beer!  I'm exhausted from my lovely encounter with the rules. 

Anyway, I have to say, the members here at WWGHA are generally good people, once you get to know them.  I think that people ought to always consider that a new member needs a bit of leeway before we collectively jump down their throat.  I'm not suggesting some sort of "let's outnice other forums" campaign, and I like the way this forum operates, but it can't possibly hurt this forum if we give newcomers a warm welcome.  If a new member chooses to be vitriolic, then we can call them out, and ask them to play by our rules.

We've had this discussion before, so let's collectively give it our best shot!  Please????

Alright, now that I'm done groveling, I'm hungry.  Any fresh babies on the pit?

P.S.  I can't help thinking that someone won't like my plea, so feel free to not like my plea.  And don't get in a twist about it.  Just be yourself.  Geez.   :o

Interesting about that particular rule, I was thinking that I was gonna get called on that for splainin' how I got drawn over there.

It is difficult to discuss personal beliefs w/o a particular person taking it personally. Naturally when one "attacks" someone's beliefs that person sees it as a personal attack.

I  can't speak for anyone else, of course, but I can see how I can be nicer. Sometimes I can take it too far. Generally, I don't go into the sour chasm thing until certain things come up like:

heavy stupid
False accusations
not reading the rules
not reading the forum
persecution complex
not backing statements up
drive bys

If the goal is to be persuasive it is my best interest to be nice. Once all niceness has been exhausted and I have pulled out all the big guns of reason, logic and you know evidence, if that doesn't work...it's time for laughing Jesus!

I'll practice my nice skills and see how it works. I can see a real problem tho at the other place with this.

For instance there is an individual (everyone here would recognize right away) that is using the same old flawed reasoning and logic, and probably will never change because he is not generally challenged. There is one brilliant debator who is interested in how this person can maintain his illogic and so is persuing that as a matter of interest. He may make a difference, I don't know.

For the most part the kind of "respect a person AND their beliefs" atmosphere I am seeing over there probably encourages, supports and validates most persons pseudologic.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 08:13:42 AM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2012, 08:16:35 AM »
Personally I try not to "jump down their throats", as jetson put it, until they give me a reason to do so. Usually that reason occurs within the first five posts or so, due to their general idiocy, selfishness, egocentrism and other marvelous personality traits.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2012, 08:21:42 AM »
Yea, I can see that.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +275/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2012, 08:24:19 AM »
Yea, I can see that.

My sarcasm detector is registering a high level of sarcasm.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2012, 08:27:42 AM »
No, false alarm. I can see it with my encounters as well. Can't think of a specific example right now, but there was one time when I was hoping you would jump on that June bug!

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2012, 10:19:56 AM »
I do feel that sometimes people jump in to fast with their sarcastic or condescending comments.

Like monkey said,
If the goal is to be persuasive it is my best interest to be nice.

I think sometimes people forget this over here and just brutally say it how it is- which is fair enough I guess, but I just don't think that is helping anyone.

But having said that, from my perspective, I think almost everything I've seen on this forum is justified, and if it isn't, people aren't afraid to call each other out, even our peers and people we respect, because above all there is a respect for what is right. I feel confident that we wouldn't let each other do/say inappropriate things while just watching and doing nothing about it. This is what I like about this forum, I really don't think it discriminates against anyone, it just deals with the content.

There's my 2cents. (I'm still in the process of reading the thread that was linked)

EDIT: having said that, since the forum changed from the old one, I rarely partake in any of the religious stuff (i.e. to do with specific beliefs etc. because I find that boring) unless it's actually related to real life. I.e. I may be missing a lot of action, especially theist-atheist interactions.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 10:33:38 AM by RNS »
love and truth and love of truth

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +27/-4
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2012, 10:34:19 AM »
I've been called out here on LOTS of stuff which is OK. It's kinda part of the learning process and then there are some people who when caught in a nice web of...let's just call it bullshit for illustrative purposes will play the victim and of course you're making a 'personal attack' on their personal beliefs.... :?

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2012, 10:42:35 AM »
I'm a member on three "atheist" forums. This one, IGI, and happyatheist. They all have their strong points, they all are different, and I enjoy them all. I put "atheist" in quotes because IGI is not strictlly an atheist site, and that leads, in some ways, to an entirely different culture. From their front page:

Welcome! Is God Imaginary? is a community of believers from various religious and non-religious traditions, as well as former believers, agnostics, and atheists. If your religious or cultural background or beliefs about God are different from those around you, this might be just the place for you.

As for "piling on," I miss a feature of our old WWGHA forum. There was a section I think called Mailbag. Since we were still affiliated with Brain's website, a moderator would post mail that came in as a response to his videos. It was great fun, because most of the posted material was from extremists promising us an eternity of torment, or blindly preaching the bible, or rehashing, ad nauseum, arguments that'd been disproved a thousand times or more. Quite frankly, I got a huge kick out of responding in the Mailbag. It was a great way to let loose our intolerant feelings on people who came only out of spite and hatred. I thought of it as a release valve for our frustrations, that allowed us (or maybe it was just me!) to have cooler heads in the more interactive areas of the forum.

If there's any way to bring back the Mailbag, I'd be a huge fan.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2012, 10:48:30 AM »
I gotta tell you..this one here, yes YOU WWGHA is kinda middle of the road except here you seem to have generally smarter cookies in the jar..another I sometimes frequent leans more to the...how shall I say..militant side.
Trust me when I say I feel safer here knowing you're not ALL stocking up on food and ammo.

I don't want to scare you, but I have to be honest. In my basement I have two cans of beans and a slingshot. ;D
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2012, 10:50:17 AM »
I don't want to scare you, but I have to be honest. In my basement I have two cans of beans and a slingshot. ;D

I own a bow and a dozen arrows, but they're for medieval re-creation events. Hmm, on second thought, what is medieval re-creation and study but the learning of methods for survival in more primitive times?  ;D
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #17 on: March 04, 2012, 10:51:22 AM »

They are working on it!  Some technical issues cropped up.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #18 on: March 04, 2012, 10:52:05 AM »

PP, what is it, in your opinion, that makes me more afraid of the can of beans?   ;D

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #19 on: March 04, 2012, 10:53:53 AM »

They are working on it!  Some technical issues cropped up.

YAY!!!! Not yay that there are technical issues, but YAY!!! that they're working on it!!! Thanks. :)

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #20 on: March 04, 2012, 10:55:29 AM »

PP, what is it, in your opinion, that makes me more afraid of the can of beans?   ;D

They're like, I dunno, thirty years old...
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +27/-4
« Reply #21 on: March 04, 2012, 12:02:53 PM »
Not to worry..with proper prayer, lots of beating ones bare back with cat-o-nine tails whip GOD will preserve the freshness of not only those wonderful beans, but also the rubbery latex part of your slingshot. ...FOREVER and..uhhh..ever. :angel:

Offline shnozzola

« Reply #22 on: March 04, 2012, 03:32:54 PM »
Seems that some folks over at IGI do not like the way theists get treated over here................

Pffffffffftttt.   I don’t think anyone anywhere needs to apologize.  There are thousands of forums (hundreds?  30?  3?).  Make your rules.  Be yourself.  Enjoy the ride.  Soap opera ‘s are on TV if that’s what we want.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:39:32 PM by shnozzola »
“I wanna go ice fishing on Europa, and see if something swims up to the camera lens and licks it.”- Neil deGrasse Tyson

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #23 on: March 04, 2012, 06:43:15 PM »
It seems the number of folks that rag on WWGHA are a minority over across the street, and I think I'm getting a pretty fair shake over all. As usual it's the vocal minority that stir up the most shit.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +27/-4
« Reply #24 on: March 04, 2012, 07:27:17 PM »
Ehem...count me in the census of people who ainta gonna apologize for saying something here to another site...and very rarely here, but thats only cuz yoos people are just sooo understanding*.

*may or may not be obligatory and pointless suckup for no particular reason.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 07:29:04 PM by atheola »

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2012, 03:40:44 PM »
I think that people ought to always consider that a new member needs a bit of leeway before we collectively jump down their throat.  I'm not suggesting some sort of "let's outnice other forums" campaign, and I like the way this forum operates, but it can't possibly hurt this forum if we give newcomers a warm welcome.  If a new member chooses to be vitriolic, then we can call them out, and ask them to play by our rules.

I received a warm welcome, then was summarily trounced[1]. But, unlike other theistic-ally inclined persons, I am rubber and you are glue, what bounces off of me sticks to you![2]
 1. Looking back, I understand I sort of brought it upon myself.
 2. not really, but I did stick around...which most theistic-ally inclined people do not do.
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline Hemingway

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-1
  • God will pardon me, that's his line of work
« Reply #26 on: March 08, 2012, 05:11:18 PM »
Jetson,

I think Jay and yourself hit the nail on the head with the "culture shock" issue. The two sites just run things quite differently.

Nothing wrong with that. Members just need to respect the way things are run on each site and get on with it.

Personally I like reading many of the threads here even if I don't contribute all that much, but as I said on the thread on IGI, the way things are moderated here and sometimes the way theists are sometimes addressed here is somewhat different than on IGI.

However, this is primarily an Atheist site. IGI is not. I would guess the demographic split over there is probably 50 - 50.

Yourself and some other WWGHA members have made valuable contributions to threads on IGI and I hope you will continue to do so.
Dont try to fix me, I'm not broken

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #27 on: March 08, 2012, 05:25:22 PM »
However, this is primarily an Atheist site. IGI is not. I would guess the demographic split over there is probably 50 - 50.

I have a question.

On this "IGI" site, atheists talk to theists correct, and vice versa? Has any atheist ever converted to theism from these talks, or to the contrary, has any theist ever deconverted from these interactions?

What is the purpose of that place "IGI", in your opinion?

Thanks.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +645/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #28 on: March 09, 2012, 12:45:35 PM »
Seems that some folks over at IGI do not like the way theists get treated over here.

fuck them.  It's all velkyn's fault anyway.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.