Author Topic: Why all the debate?  (Read 4892 times)

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
Re: Why all the debate?
« Reply #58 on: March 10, 2012, 12:07:47 AM »
I'm sorry guys I know your not going to like this but I'd like to reply to all of you. But I just don't have the time. Understand I am ONE guy who has to respond to all SEVEN of you. I could say more but come on let me read less. Or at least don't say the same thing someone else said.

Theists are a minority here, so on open threads like this one, a theist usually has multiple atheists debating with them. I can certainly understand your feeling overwhelmed.

You can request a one-on-one debate if you want; the moderators can easily set it up. Only one other person will be able to access that particular thread and reply to you. Others can comment on a separate thread. Another option to consider.
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #59 on: March 10, 2012, 12:35:36 AM »
I'm sorry guys I know your not going to like this but I'd like to reply to all of you. But I just don't have the time. Understand I am ONE guy who has to respond to all SEVEN of you. I could say more but come on let me read less. Or at least don't say the same thing someone else said. If you have a specific thing you want to say to me, send me a message. That way I don't have to write back to all this stuff. And those of you who misunderstood what I said, and repeated exactly as I already said to say I didnt say this even when I did. Stop. I already made that point don't make me go back and say it again.

If it gives you any comfort, here is a scene from The Big Bang Theory (TV Series)

Leonard: Guys, there are four of us and one of him.
Sheldon: Which means his triumph will be even larger. Minstrels will write songs about him.

That's for optimism, but on the other hand, you sometimes do tend to generalize statements which can be construed as an open challenge.

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #60 on: March 10, 2012, 10:51:34 AM »
I'm sorry guys I know your not going to like this but I'd like to reply to all of you. But I just don't have the time. Understand I am ONE guy who has to respond to all SEVEN of you. I could say more but come on let me read less. Or at least don't say the same thing someone else said. If you have a specific thing you want to say to me, send me a message. That way I don't have to write back to all this stuff. And those of you who misunderstood what I said, and repeated exactly as I already said to say I didnt say this even when I did. Stop. I already made that point don't make me go back and say it again.

Well that's how it works. If I was posting (the 2 or 3 posts I could get in before getting banned of course) on a christian forum the situation would be reversed. What did you expect? At least we don't ban the opposition like the majority of christian forums do. We don't demand that people believe as we do but don't expect any mercy. You post here at your own risk.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #61 on: March 10, 2012, 10:54:37 AM »
I'm sorry guys I know your not going to like this but I'd like to reply to all of you. But I just don't have the time. Understand I am ONE guy who has to respond to all SEVEN of you.

I can arrange it so you only have to respond to just one member. Do you want to try this?

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #62 on: March 10, 2012, 12:33:36 PM »
Quote from: Olivianus on March 03, 2012, 08:39:54 PM

I have no means to obtain knowledge of wet streets. Yes that is correct.

How about wet underpants?

Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #63 on: March 10, 2012, 12:36:30 PM »

I doubt it. That would require a measurement coupled with sensory input, and he cannot trust what his eyes and brain tell him comes from the outside world. It's all an illusion. If you disagree, he'll say "prove it isn't".

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #64 on: March 10, 2012, 01:48:31 PM »

Operation is not demonstration, so he can pee in his pants and still claim it is not wet.

The way he believes, if the book of Daniel says he will haveth wet underpants this week, he will be believing his underpants are wet.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: March 10, 2012, 04:07:57 PM »

Operation is not demonstration, so he can pee in his pants and still claim it is not wet.

The way he believes, if the book of Daniel says he will haveth wet underpants this week, he will be believing his underpants are wet.

ROTFL!  :laugh:
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline Samothec

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +49/-2
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2012, 03:39:51 AM »
^^^^Yeah. What or who is it that will be brought back to be judged?

I hadn't intended it to be read that way but that is a cool version/idea/question. More in keeping with kcrady's post.

My idea was intended (however poorly worded) to point out the massive change death is and assuming we have a soul that enables us to 'live' on we would still not be the same person because of the literally soul-altering change wrought in us by experiencing death. The (presumed) soul goes from being housed in a familiar body with a set of senses to a bodiless existence - however temporarily - that is radically different.

During the end of my time as a believer when I was trying to work out how this stuff could be real, I realized that getting a new meat suit in heaven would be strange at best so we would have to be living in heaven as our meatless soul. But then you have the problem of being so different from your genuinely living days that going to heaven or hell would be beyond illogical.

And a new meat suit? What age is it? What condition is it in? And the questions just pile up with no answers.

As for the idea we just rot in the ground until we're reconstituted - that makes no sense whatsoever. It makes more sense to say people in the future will dig us up and clone us. <--- Now take that sentence and send it into the past and you've got a better answer to what was meant. Yes, I and whoever develops time travel for webpages just created that bible passage.

But to reconstitute us only to kill us again? Who makes a bowl of stew only to pour it into the garbage disposal? Only an idiot.

:D   Thank you for this.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 03:41:41 AM by Samothec »