Author Topic: The Jesus is God Conundrum  (Read 3285 times)

Offline GodlessHeathen

• Graduate
  • Darwins +9/-1
  • Absence of evidence is not evidence of existence.
Re: The Jesus is God Conundrum
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2012, 06:50:25 PM »

Thank you.  That makes me feel better.

I was raised in a church that used the Apostles' Creed.  Then one day we switched to the Nicene and used it ever after.  I never gave much thought.  The stuff about "proceedeth" and "begotten" was mystic poetry to me.  It was like a software EULA.  Just click the [I agree] button at the bottom.

I'm not the only one.  In the movie Warlock (not to be confused with the movie Warlock) the warlock projected thru time to 20th century Los Angeles needed to phone home.  So he went to a fake medium or as they call themselves these days, a channeler.

"I wish to channel a spirit", he said.

"What is the name?" said the channeler.

"He has many names", said the warlock.

He decided on a name the medium hadn't heard and the medium had his first real trance (and his last as well).  Possessing the medium Satan sends the warlock on a quest that will completely nullify God's power in the universe.  The warlock asks for a reward for this.  Satan says, "You will be my only begotten Son." 

The script writer must've meant something like "my sole inheritor" or "my favorite son".

Interesting.... I never thought of the term that way. I wonder if the phrase, "in the bosom of the Father" carries some of that idea with it.

I'm still fascinated by this stuff, because I studied it for so many years. The Greek translated "only begotten" is actually one word, "monogenes," which implies origin. Hence the "eternally begotten" concept invented by the church fathers makes no sense. I think the writers' original intent was to portray Jesus as a human son with a divine nature, not an eternal son that took on a human nature.

Anyway, doesn't really matter if you're like me and don't believe any of it, but I still find the linguistic and philosophical aspects of it fascinating.
"That which can be asserted without evidence, can be dismissed without evidence" (Christopher Hitchens).

Offline jakec47

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +4/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #30 on: March 05, 2012, 07:52:19 PM »
Interesting to know we only use 10% of our brain.

I see Omen already helped you with this, but I'd like to quote it once more to point out how easily you throw the word "know" down.

Next time you claim to know something, you need to show where the "knowledge" comes from. That's non-negotiable if you're going to get taken seriously as anything more than someone's puppet.

I always learned in high school biology that we only use 10% of our brain, I never really looked into it. I assumed the teacher was correct. Could you give me a link to something that explains this?

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #31 on: March 05, 2012, 08:16:46 PM »
Google should do the job, Jake.

Lol at biology teacher.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2012, 10:28:43 AM »
On religulous that guy dressed as jesus used the analogy of water.  water can be water, steam or ice but they are technically one thing.

So if water and ice are the same thing, then Jesus isn't the only one to walk on water. I've done it a bunch of times.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Backspace

• Reader
  • Darwins +49/-0
  • IXNAY
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:51 PM »
Google should do the job, Jake.

For example...

http://www.scientificamerican.com/article.cfm?id=people-only-use-10-percent-of-brain

Though an alluring idea, the "10 percent myth" is so wrong it is almost laughable, says neurologist Barry Gordon at Johns Hopkins School of Medicine in Baltimore... The myth's durability, Gordon says, stems from people's conceptions about their own brains: they see their own shortcomings as evidence of the existence of untapped gray matter...
There is no opinion so absurd that a preacher could not express it.
-- Bernie Katz