Author Topic: There is no good person  (Read 675 times)

Offline Aaron123

• Fellow
  • Darwins +77/-1
There is no good person
« on: March 07, 2012, 03:10:07 PM »
This is something you hear all the time.  "There is no good person.  All have sinned and fallen before god."  Even the bible agrees with this.  Romen 3:9-11 states "... for we have before proved both Jews and Gentiles, that they are all under sin; As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one: There is none that understandeth, there is none that seeketh after God. "

So how does this jibes with other bible passages that refers to "righteous men"?

Genesis 6:9
These are the generations of Noah: Noah was a just man and perfect in his generations, and Noah walked with God.

Job 1:1
There was a man in the land of Uz, whose name was Job; and that man was perfect and upright, and one that feared God, and eschewed evil.

Matthew 1:19
Then Joseph her husband, being a just man....

Mark 6:20
For Herod feared John, knowing that he was a just man and an holy, and observed him; and when he heard him, he did many things, and heard him gladly.

Luke 1: 5-6
THERE was in the days of Herod, the king of Judaea, a certain priest named Zacharias, of the course of Abia: and his wife was of the daughters of Aaron, and her name was Elisabeth. And they were both righteous before God, walking in all the commandments and ordinances of the Lord blameless.

Luke 2:25
And, behold, there was a man in Jerusalem, whose name was Simeon; and the same man was just and devout, waiting for the consolation of Israel: and the Holy Ghost was upon him.

Luke 23: 50-51
And, behold, there was a man named Joseph, a counsellor; and he was a good man, and a just: (The same had not consented to the counsel and deed of them;) he was of Arimathaea, a city of the Jews: who also himself waited for the kingdom of God.

2 Peter 2:7-8
And delivered just Lot, vexed with the filthy conversation of the wicked: (For that righteous man dwelling among them, in seeing and hearing, vexed his righteous soul from day to day with their unlawful deeds;)

Hebrews 11:4
By faith Abel offered unto God a more excellent sacrifice than Cain, by which he obtained witness that he was righteous, God testifying of his gifts: and by it he being dead yet speaketh.

Clearly, there were at least a handful of "righteous men" during bibletimes.  So where does Paul gets off saying there are "none righteous"?
Being a Christian, I've made my decision. That decision offers no compromise; therefore, I'm closed to anything else.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
Re: There is no good person
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
Simple explanation? Liars think everyone lies.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
    • Economics and Technology
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2012, 04:44:18 PM »
Here's another question - since good is good, and we all agreed that god is holy, why is the bible full of wicked acts and talk of evil?

I can't laugh enough when so many christians say that everybody that's not in their little group will be sent to hell where they will be endlessly tortured by ruthless evil demons not for 1, 2, or 10 years, but for possibly billions or trillions, or quadrillions of years...

Now look at this: the muslums believe in 'holy wars'.  Everybody should agree that there is nothing holy about any war.  It always involves numerous deaths and genocide of innocent people.  And yet, they feel they should 'irradicate the infedels off the face of the earth.'  National leaders say this routinely in their opening speeches..

So I look at it like this - there is a ladder of delusion here.  Santa, Christians, Mormons, and Muslims.  That is the dellusion ladder. 

But what is funny is, there is absolutely no difference in what I just said about christians as what i just said about muslims.  They both believe in torturing everybody else!

And yet somehow, god is good in all that.  I can't believe people look around at eachother and actually pick out who will be condemmed to hell...  it's just like, hey, you deserve to die... x 100000000000000000000.....  craziness.  I couldn't do enough terrible things in life to deserve a sentence like that..
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +95/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2012, 04:45:50 PM »
Simple explanation? Liars think everyone lies.

LIAR!!!!!
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces

Offline Samuelxcs

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +6/-18
  • The oldest and strongest emotion of humans is fear
    • Fallen Angels
« Reply #4 on: March 08, 2012, 05:53:25 AM »
There can be good people. If people were not bad, they would be good. People must stop speaking of things that make no sense, stop wasting time with things like religion and arguing, stop ruining the world and other things for no good reason, stop being horrible to each other and stop being disgusting and stupid. If humans were completely good, there would be no problem at all. There is still a chance for everyone to be good, one of the main problems of this is that not everyone would believe it could happen. So who wants to try to persuade me that there is no hope for humankind first?
"The stupid neither forgive nor forget; the naïve forgive and forget; the wise forgive but do not forget."
-Thomas Szasz

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2012, 10:39:40 PM »
Because a system that promotes good people doesn't currently exist...

Think about all the best people that were made fun of all throughout their childhood whose lives were either taken or ruined because they were smart, and smart just isn't cool.

Freedom of speech, freedom of religion, and freedom of press have all been taken way, way too far.  We've killed off all the good people.  That simple.  We protect idiots.
"If you find yourself reaching for the light, first realize that it has already touched your finger."
"If I were your god, I would have no reason for judgement, and you have all told endless lies about me.  Wait - you do already. I am not amused by your ignorance, thoughtlessness, and shallow mind."

Offline jeremy0

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +26/-12
« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2012, 10:40:50 PM »
All it takes for a person to do generally good things is understanding and reason.  Point in fact - most brilliant people are also generally good people.  They understand the concepts of what makes up a positive society, and understand that the sum of the whole is greater than the one, and understand that healthy people need good things in order to be healthy..