Author Topic: Atheists: What's with the sarcasm?  (Read 5190 times)

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: Atheists: What's with the sarcasm?
« Reply #87 on: March 03, 2012, 10:56:08 PM »
BSD MAN, I think that the reason people are still discussing this with you is that you seem to think that sarcasm is a tool used exclusively (or mostly) by atheists. It is not. As I explained in my very first post, everyone uses sarcasm. Everyone has different reasons for it. Your reasons will be the same as at least one atheist's and one theist's.
TBH, I feel as if you utterly ignored my post, since you continued on defending your strawman. Care to rethink your position?[1]
 1. Or explain it properly, if my understanding of it is flawed.
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:10:12 PM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #88 on: March 03, 2012, 11:03:43 PM »
In two short days of being a member of this forum  I have refused to reply to any more comments from 3 different users here (Kin Hell, Lucifer, and Velkyn) because of this. Atheists in general, there are exceptions, are the most insolent, bitter, miserable people I have ever met. I was raised by one. I have had many years of experience with atheism and i hate every last inch of it for this.

To me, it sounds like you have yet to have an experience with atheism, as atheism is not about emotions.

Please don’t paint such a broad brush with such statements. It makes you look exactly like what you are condemning, insolent, bitter, and miserable.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #89 on: March 03, 2012, 11:04:36 PM »
Please don’t paint such a broad brush with such statements. It makes you look exactly like what you are condemning, insolent, bitter, and miserable.

But he is all those things... But it's all atheism and atheists' fault!!!
« Last Edit: March 03, 2012, 11:06:33 PM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #90 on: March 03, 2012, 11:05:20 PM »
In two short days of being a member of this forum  I have refused to reply to any more comments from 3 different users here (Kin Hell, Lucifer, and Velkyn) because of this. Atheists in general, there are exceptions, are the most insolent, bitter, miserable people I have ever met. I was raised by one. I have had many years of experience with atheism and i hate every last inch of it for this.

Insolent?

Definition:Audaciously rude or disrespectful; impertinent.

Yes we have the audacity to actually point out the emperor has no clothes and the Yahweh is just another in a long line of fictional beings in the category "deity."

You can hate away. Doesn't change the fact that there is no more proof of Yahweh than there is for Santa Claus.

Do we seem bitter? Constantly have to defend that you don't believe in some cosmic man in the clouds that made the world by magic...and if you are a Christian that is what you believe regardless of the pretty words you use to describe it....and being treated as if you are some weird evil madman because you don't believe in this magic man will leave many bitter.

Miserable? Sometimes yes, sometimes no. I really don't think we hold a candle to Catholics on that one.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #91 on: March 03, 2012, 11:18:23 PM »

Well, what can you do?  You hate atheism.  I hate racism.  Someone else hates abortion, and yet another hates Muslims.  And the world goes round, and round.

At this forum, you can put forth any argument you want.  But you can't do it without being directly challenged by those who won't blindly accept it.  You have been addressed directly by a couple of members with very sincere, and well thought out replies, to which you summarily dismissed.  Was this because of your hatred for atheism?

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #92 on: March 04, 2012, 12:07:19 AM »
So I ask… should I come back and try to search some honest debate, or just leave knowing that the culture of sarcasm I discovered 6 years as is healthy as ever?  Why the all the sarcasm?

Mainly it's because most theists are not serious about having an honest conversation.
If they were, then they'd quickly realize that the vast majority of their arguments are unsupportable in any real way.

This is the bias of an ateist. Of course, being an atheist myself, i agree with you. Which is why i am an atheist.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #93 on: March 04, 2012, 12:17:42 AM »
A person can only have so many conversations with people who think that Noah's ark was real, that the earth is 6k years old, that the creator of the entire universe has a meaningful and personal relationship with them.

Sometimes it helps to just cut to the chase and point out that what they're saying is utter bullshit.

My preferred method is with Photobucket.

Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #94 on: March 04, 2012, 03:20:00 AM »
Dear Rock’n Roll BSD MAN

KISSME, capital letter login names are reserved for Christian trolls. Please consult with a mod, to find a name which makes you look less like GOD's gift to the universe.

Otherwise, the only way of identifying a Christian, is by them having -15 Darwins.

HTH.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline voodoo child

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-0
« Reply #95 on: March 04, 2012, 04:14:48 AM »

You're kidding, Right,  Look out the Jesuits are coming?  &)  I will keep an eye out for you. in the looney bin at chapters.
The classical man is just a bundle of routine, ideas and tradition. If you follow the classical pattern, you are understanding the routine, the tradition, the shadow, you are not understanding yourself. Truth has no path. Truth is living and therefore changing. Bruce lee

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #96 on: March 04, 2012, 09:06:46 AM »

First of all, I am sorry that you have not had a positive experience on these forums, or with atheists in general.  You and I have posted a similar number of times, and we are both relative newcomers to this site, even though I have been here a bit longer and posted less frequently than you.  I had the benefit of wandering into friendly territory, and I understand that you came to an environment in which you knew your views would be in the minority.

I took a peek at your first couple of posts, and I have a few observations.  First of all, I understand that Velkyn invited you here.  I guess I'm kind of surprised that you have put her on your list of people whose threads you are not going to respond to.  Secondly, your very first post was a list of declarations.  When I walk into a new environment, I always do so with a bit of humility, and the understanding that there is an established culture that I need to respect.  I don't mean to be judgemental here, but perhaps if you had arrived and asked questions rather than making declarations, you would have been a little more warmly received. 

Finally, I need to ask why you seek out atheists if you find us so unpleasant?  You said you were raised by an atheist.  Do you seek us out and then confront us because you want to prove to yourself that we are all as unpleasant as the parent who you apparently don't care for?  Is challenging us a sort of therapy that allows you to attempt to resolve unhappiness in your childhood?  Or do you really hold out some hope that by quoting the scriptures and offering your interpretations, you will gain converts?  Are your interactions with us really  part of some good-deed doing strategy that you are performing in service of you god?  And if so, isn't there something else that you could do that you might find more rewarding, such as serving the poor?

Offline jss

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #97 on: March 04, 2012, 12:36:14 PM »
Perhaps you would better understand the sarcasm if you understood what it is like to be an atheist:

Seven things you should know about atheists
or
What it’s like to be an atheist in contemporary Christian America

There’s a lot of friction between atheists and Christians in America today; perhaps more so than in previous eras.  This list isn’t about atheists being converted, atheists converting Christians, anyone changing their beliefs or even the merits of faith or lack-of-faith.  We (atheists) would like to live in peace and harmony just like everybody else.  Seeing as there are so many of you compared to us, perhaps it would help if you better understood what it’s like to be an atheist today in the US:
  • We are a minority and you, plus all theists, are the vast, vast majority.  We have no overt representation in political systems; there are no congressmen, senators or governors that are (or will admit to being) atheists.  We are at your mercy should you want it that way.
  • There are many social circles in America where admission of atheism means ostracism, so we often feel like we must either keep mum or at least be very selective in who we tell about our lack of belief.  There are places in America where admission of atheism will put us at risk of physical harm.
  • We don’t want to “convert” you to atheism and we don’t want to take away your right to believe and/or worship in any fashion you choose.  When we take stances such as ‘separation of church and state’ with regard to public education it’s not an attempt to persecute you.  It’s because we don’t want our children to be indoctrinated.  Think of it a bit like living in an Islamic country and having your children be continually taught that Islam was the only way and that Christianity was wrong.
  • We are NOT morally bereft, please stop saying we are.  The same mechanism that lets you tell the difference between right and wrong also works for us.  We may disagree on the source of conscience but that doesn’t mean we don’t have one.
  • Most of us are very familiar with the Bible and have done extensive research.  We know that you think that if only we would open ourselves up to Jesus we would believe what you believe.  We’ve heard and read all of this many times before, there is nothing new that you can say to us that will make us believe.  We also know the inverse is true; there is nothing we can say to you that will stop you from believing and frankly we wouldn’t want to coerce you into it anyway.
  • Please stop telling us “I will pray for you”.  It’s offensive.  We generally won’t tell you it’s offensive because we either don’t want to anger you or because we’ve learned to be thick skinned living in a Christian culture; but it is offensive.  It would be like us telling you “You’ll realize there is no god some day”.
  • We are very, very afraid of you.  We know that you believe us to be in the thrall of satanic delusion and we live in fear of a day where you will, once again, decide to forcefully rescue us from Satan’s evil clutches.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #98 on: March 04, 2012, 12:40:53 PM »
...Atheists in general, there are exceptions, are the most insolent, bitter, miserable people I have ever met. I was raised by one. I have had many years of experience with atheism and i hate every last inch of it for this.

If you hate atheism and atheists so much why are you here? I hate strawberries. I most certainly would not join a forum that discussed the many benefits of strawberries.  :o
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #99 on: March 04, 2012, 12:41:10 PM »
Gotta disagree with #7. Personally, I fear no man, woman or group of people.
We choose our own gods.

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +753/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #100 on: March 04, 2012, 12:59:48 PM »
Gotta agree with Lucifer. The first six in the list are fine. Number 7 is wrong. Or at least less universal.

I'm of course hoping that when they  burn me at the stake, it's winter, so I can enjoy the fire. And since christians are so moral, I'm pretty sure they'll abide by that request.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #101 on: March 04, 2012, 01:04:36 PM »
...Atheists in general, there are exceptions, are the most insolent, bitter, miserable people I have ever met. I was raised by one. I have had many years of experience with atheism and i hate every last inch of it for this.

If you hate atheism and atheists so much why are you here? I hate strawberries. I most certainly would not join a forum that discussed the many benefits of strawberries.  :o

But the strawberries love you!  If only you devoted your time and dental floss to understanding that you'd see!
You know, Charles Darwin, as he was about to die, requested a strawberry.

One was brought to him and he realized that that moment, all the strawberry jam that he could have been having on his english muffins.
Then he died and it didn't matter any more because... well, dead.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline jss

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #102 on: March 04, 2012, 01:09:32 PM »
Gotta agree with Lucifer. The first six in the list are fine. Number 7 is wrong. Or at least less universal.

I'm of course hoping that when they  burn me at the stake, it's winter, so I can enjoy the fire. And since christians are so moral, I'm pretty sure they'll abide by that request.

If you buy #2 then you admit fear, at least fear of being in certain places where it is known that you are an atheist.

You may not live in overt fear because you don't find your immediate environment threatening, but if a wave of ultra-fundamentalism were to overtake our political and social systems (which many Xians would absolutely delight in), I suspect you would discover that fear quite rapidly.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #103 on: March 04, 2012, 01:11:12 PM »
You may not live in overt fear because you don't find your immediate environment threatening, but if a wave of ultra-fundamentalism were to overtake our political and social systems (which many Xians would absolutely delight in), I suspect you would discover that fear quite rapidly.

My only fear would be to submit to evil because of cowardice.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jss

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #104 on: March 04, 2012, 01:42:30 PM »

My only fear would be to submit to evil because of cowardice.

That's a legitimate fear.  But there are lots of situations that will generate fear.  Action in the face of fear is one definition of bravery.  Fear is a part of life, if you can't admit that then I suggest you are living in delusion.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #105 on: March 04, 2012, 01:46:49 PM »
That's a legitimate fear.  But there are lots of situations that will generate fear.

Not many situations (that I can foresee) would achieve that in my case. I have been systematically getting rid of my fears.

Action in the face of fear is one definition of bravery.

Of course. Cowardice is the inability to face one's fears, not having fears.

Fear is a part of life, if you can't admit that then I suggest you are living in delusion.

Why would you add this? It sounds like an accusation.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jss

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #106 on: March 04, 2012, 02:11:28 PM »
Action in the face of fear is one definition of bravery.

Of course. Cowardice is the inability to face one's fears, not having fears.

So if you define bravery as 'action in the face of fear' and also state 'My only fear would be to submit to evil because of cowardice' which is another way of saying 'My fear would be not being brave' then what you are really saying is 'I'm afraid of being unable to act in the face of fear'.  In other words, you actually fear more than just cowardice, there must be some fear (even if not currently active) that would permit you to either act bravely or cowardly.

Fear is a part of life, if you can't admit that then I suggest you are living in delusion.

Why would you add this? It sounds like an accusation.

It sounds like an accusation because it sounds like you are saying "I have no fears outside of some nebulous fear of potential future cowardice".  Perhaps that is incorrect, in which case it is not an accusation.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 02:13:10 PM by jss »

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #107 on: March 04, 2012, 02:16:31 PM »
So if you define bravery as 'action in the face of fear' and also state 'My only fear would be to submit to evil because of cowardice' which is another way of saying 'My fear would be not being brave' then what you are really saying is 'I'm afraid of being unable to act in the face of fear'.  In other words, you actually fear more than just cowardice, there must be some fear (even if not currently active) that would permit you to either act bravely or cowardly.

I fear submitting to evil due to cowardice because, IMO, it would make me evil as well. The very thought of giving up all that I am for simple self-preservation makes me sick.

It sounds like an accusation because it sounds like you are saying "I have no fear."  Perhaps that is incorrect, in which case it is not an accusation.

I have a few fears; it's just that people are not one of them.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #108 on: March 04, 2012, 02:33:29 PM »

We're listening.  Are you lying comfortably on the couch?  Tell me about your childhood.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #109 on: March 04, 2012, 02:35:39 PM »

We're listening.  Are you lying comfortably on the couch?  Tell me about your childhood.

...And the point of what I assume are rhetoric questions/requests is...?
We choose our own gods.

Offline jss

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #110 on: March 04, 2012, 02:39:29 PM »

I fear submitting to evil due to cowardice because, IMO, it would make me evil as well. The very thought of giving up all that I am for simple self-preservation makes me sick.

That 'simple self-preservation' is usually not simple or about only the self.  Most people in repressive totalitarian societies live in constant fear of discovery; both fear for their own well being and that of their loved ones.   They submit and/or hide because of that fear.  I suppose one could call that cowardice although I find it difficult to label them as 'evil'.

Maybe you're not like most people (nobody thinks they are).  Maybe you'll stand up and refuse to submit even if it means the persecution of everyone you love.  Statistics say it's not likely; but … maybe …  Either way, I have a very hard time believing you would do so without fear.

It sounds like an accusation because it sounds like you are saying "I have no fear."  Perhaps that is incorrect, in which case it is not an accusation.

Everyone is different.  Frankly, I feel that people (esp the ultra-religious) are about the only thing there is to fear.  Sure there is the self-preservation aspect of managing your physical risk; but that doesn't seem like fear to me, it's just common sense.  People are the ones that cause the vast majority of destruction and suffering ("evil") in the world.

"L'enfer c'est les autres."  -- Sartre

Online ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +753/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #111 on: March 04, 2012, 02:53:46 PM »

If you buy #2 then you admit fear, at least fear of being in certain places where it is known that you are an atheist.

Nope, if I'm frightened of getting shot, then I'm more susceptible to putting the swastika on my sleeve to save my life, and that would bother me far more. I would be afraid of who I had become. I won't do that.

I refuse to live in a world that is ostensibly civilized and be afraid at the same time. Disagreeable as hell, yes. But afraid. Nope.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #112 on: March 04, 2012, 02:56:29 PM »
<snip>
I suppose one could call that cowardice although I find it difficult to label them as 'evil'.

That's why I only spoke of myself.

Maybe you're not like most people (nobody thinks they are).

I am well aware of where I stand regarding other people.

Maybe you'll stand up and refuse to submit even if it means the persecution of everyone you love.  Statistics say it's not likely; but … maybe …  Either way, I have a very hard time believing you would do so without fear.

I certainly believe that that's what would happen. Of course, as we all know, beliefs have no influence on reality. Without actually experiencing something like that, I can't be certain.
We choose our own gods.

Offline jss

• Student
  • Darwins +2/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #113 on: March 04, 2012, 03:28:40 PM »

Nope, if I'm frightened of getting shot, then I'm more susceptible to putting the swastika on my sleeve to save my life, and that would bother me far more. I would be afraid of who I had become. I won't do that.

The point is that even though you have more fear of what you would become there would also be fear involved in motivating you to submit.  It's not like you could just say "No, I won't be afraid."

I refuse to live in a world that is ostensibly civilized and be afraid at the same time. Disagreeable as hell, yes. But afraid. Nope.

Up until the point that you actually ceased living there would be a period of time where you did in fact live in this growing dystopia and were becoming increasingly afraid. It's not like there's a big switch that gets thrown: "*Click*, now we are living in totalitarianism … you may kill yourself now and avoid fear."

Totalitarianism is sneaky and comes on gradually (excepting invasion by an external force).  At some point everyone comes to a point where they realize what has happened around them; and it's usually when the totalitarianism enters their personal lives (which by definition it must always do).  That ultimate realization is different for everyone and it's quite a fear-inducing process getting there.  I say this not from personal experience, but from the well documented history of totalitarianism in the 20th century (and the 21st!).

We could be witnessing the rise of totalitarianism right now in America in the guise of Xian fundamentalism.  It's probably not true and I don't really give it much credence, but it is not completely improbable.  This is what I mean when I state "We are very, very afraid of you."  It's not an active debailitating fear that is omnipresent, it's the knowledge of what Xians have done before in the name of their triple-headed god and how very much it would suck if that happened again.
« Last Edit: March 04, 2012, 03:38:22 PM by jss »

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #114 on: March 04, 2012, 04:39:46 PM »

...And the point of what I assume are rhetoric questions/requests is...?

Yes, just being light hearted, and attempting to act like a forum psychologist!  Sometimes, you and I cross in the night, apparently.  I blame myself though.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
« Reply #115 on: March 04, 2012, 04:41:35 PM »
Yes, just being light hearted, and attempting to act like a forum psychologist!  Sometimes, you and I cross in the night, apparently.  I blame myself though.

Don't blame yourself. I do it enough for the both of us.[1] ;)
 1. Assuming that "cross in the night" means what I think it means.
We choose our own gods.