Author Topic: Quran Burning  (Read 332 times)

Offline pingnak

Quran Burning
« on: February 26, 2012, 04:00:22 AM »
http://www.boston.com/news/nation/articles/2012/02/25/soldier_killed_in_afghanistan_noted_quran_backlash/
http://www.google.com/search?btnG=2&pws=0&q=quran+burn&tbm=nws

So, this is what happens when people burn 'holy' books.

Consensus on 'correct' means of disposal for 'holy' shit seems to be burial... though I would assume NOT in a landfill.
http://www.npr.org/2012/02/24/147321213/how-to-properly-dispose-of-sacred-texts

I suppose we could make this right: Just collect gideon bibles and ship 'em to Afghanistan, so they can burn 'em.  I'm sure they wouldn't hesitate to do so.  But it seems our own folks burned buybulls shipped over there already, since they might be used to attempt to illegally 'convert' Islamic folks, and that's 'illegal' in Islamic countries of all kinds.

http://articles.cnn.com/2009-05-20/world/us.military.bibles.burned_1_bibles-al-jazeera-english-military-personnel?_s=PM:WORLD

I wonder what the whole story is. 

All we get is 'books were burned', and 'riots', and some finger-pointing.

It would be interesting to learn, STEP BY STEP, what happened. 

1. How did the books 'accidentally' get from 'detention center' to a batch of trash headed for a 'burn pit'?  Perhaps an 'honest' mistake, but then again, we've been occupying there for TEN FUCKING YEARS.  You'd think the orientation video about 'how not to piss people off who already hate your guts' would cover things like desecrating holy books.  They didn't have a policy for what to do with these books?

2. How EXACTLY did Afghanis discover that 'holy' books were being burned, among tons of other trash?  I'm thinking inside man told them what to look for.  Unless this was mishandled in the most stupid manner possible... which is possible.  Perhaps the soldiers taunted people through the fence?  "Look what I'm burnin', sand niggers!".  And yes, when I was in the USAF in the 1980's, I heard that term used on more than one location in reference to folks in Saudi Arabia.  I doubt army or marine grunts at a burn pile would be particularly first class examples of shining intellect and sensitivity to cultural differences.

3. How did the Afghanis get their hands on the alleged burn pit contents that were... 'burnt'?  If ANYTHING is being taken to 'burn pits' outside of bases, that's absolutely nothing short of criminal negligence.  Sounds like an intel goldmine if the troops just carry trash and documents and other things off-base, chuck them onto a fire to be burned, and leave it.  Why would anything be 'burned' where people could extinguish it and take it?  Where people could even see?

Basically these stories stink to high heaven.  I would not be particularly surprised if some U.S. right-wingers wanted to stir up some shit in Afghanistan to make embarrassing headlines for the elections.  "Let's taunt the locals by burning some Ko-rans and start up a proper shitstorm for our commander in chief!"

Offline pingnak

Re: Quran Burning
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 06:42:22 AM »

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +177/-8
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2012, 09:15:07 AM »
Bring our people home...NOW.  If the republicans get in we will stay there much longer.  Think of the money wasted on this mess.  Would you want to give your life or the life of a son/daughter for the Koch brothers/1% in this country.  That is what it is coming down to.  We will no longer be fighting for contry.  We will be fighting for corporations (if we are not already).
« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 09:18:18 AM by Nick »
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2012, 09:17:03 AM »
We're in an almost impossible Hellhole of a situation. The country is going to be forever backward.

Get out.

Offline ungod

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-9
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2012, 02:24:39 PM »

Can't wait to receive your copy, Use the following link to download an electronic copy of the Holy Book from one of our affiliate sites

http://www.freequran.ca/?gclid=CP_XnPytvK4CFQoBQAodEFUWPA

OK, if I download a copy, and then later delete it, is that equally offensive to burning a copy?
What if my hard drive dies with a copy of the Qur'an on it - can I dispose of it?

« Last Edit: February 26, 2012, 02:26:58 PM by ungod »
Reason is a whore, the greatest enemy that faith has.
Faith must trample under foot all reason, sense, and understanding. - Martin Luther

"What good fortune for those in power that people do not think." - Hitler

Offline pingnak

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2012, 03:24:12 PM »
No.  If you download a holy book onto your hard drive, you must bury it where people will not walk over its grave, and allow the toxic chemicals to leech into the soil and ground water.  Amen.

Also keep in mind that files on spinning magnetic media have been shown to still exist after many overwrites.  The mechanical slop of the heads prevents them from precisely wiping all of the possible magnetic domains.  With the right equipment, most of the data can be recovered.  So even after a reverently secure deletion, the data is still likely to be there.

Also, since SSD cycles through blocks of memory, rather than overwriting 'deleted' memory (to extend the write cycle life of the overall unit), you are likely to still have every bit of the 'sacred' text until there has been a lot of overwriting.  Including fragments at the end of unfilled blocks of storage.

So when your macbook or tablet or e-book reader gives up the ghost, you must also bury it.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2012, 03:56:57 PM »
Come to think of it, it would be fun to start the hol-e-book controversy for real.

People don't understand technology.  They don't think of these things, until prompted.

Think of all the ghosts of holy books on servers, mirror servers, web caches, etc.

I want to see the worldwide freak-out when people realize what computers do to their sacred texts!

YES OR NO:

1. Your holy book must be reverently and appropriately disposed of.

2. Your holy book is made of wood pulp paper and ink.

3. Would it make a difference if it was made of rice paper and ink?

4. Would it make a difference if it was carved into pieces of wood?

5. Would it make a difference if it was embossed onto metal sheets?

6. Would it make a difference if it was etched into glass?

7. Would it make a difference if it was printed with individual xenon atoms with a scanning, tunneling microscope?

8. Would it make a difference if it was printed in self-sustaining quantum or magnetic or charged state?

9. It's not what the book is made of, it's the contents of the book.

10. Would it make a difference if it was translated to a different language?

11. Would it make a difference if it used different character sets?

12. Would it make a difference if it was written with smaller character sets, with longer words?

13. Would it make a difference if people who read it only had ten characters in their alphabet?

14. Would it make a difference if people who read it only had two characters in their alphabet?

Computers and electronic devices are copying and destroying holy books millions of times a day.

Written and erased from memory.  Displayed on phosphor and lcd crystals and other mutable elements.  Cached and overwritten sent over networks that routinely store and erase by their very nature.

Most electronic equipment on the internet has stored holy texts.  Most storage media that has ever had a holy text on it, still has a copy of some of it that can't quite be erased.

If you don't like it, don't put electronic copies of your holy books up on the internet, or quote them on the internet.

Computers are evil.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2012, 04:26:18 PM »
http://www.reuters.com/article/2012/02/23/us-afghanistan-korans-idUSTRE81K09T20120223
... Afghan laborers found charred copies while collecting rubbish at the sprawling Bagram air base.

So that answers some of my questions nicely.  Because why should our soldiers be raking their own burn pile ashes when there are cheap foreign laborers who hate us can be brought in and suffer the health effects from exposure to that, off the books?