Author Topic: I Challenge ONE Person to a debate  (Read 2125 times)

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
Re: I Challenge ONE Person to a debate
« Reply #29 on: February 25, 2012, 02:36:49 PM »
What the hell. I'm bored enough to volunteer.

My responses might take a few days though. Not like he'll last long anyways though.

We got three volunteers, we have to pick one. Should it be the member who has the most free time to devote to it?

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2012, 02:48:57 PM »
Three? I counted four.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #31 on: February 25, 2012, 02:55:22 PM »
Three? I counted four.

3,4,5, 27, the point is who's going to debate the guy - do you want me to pick? This could go on all day.

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
« Reply #32 on: February 25, 2012, 02:56:46 PM »
Three? I counted four.

3,4,5, 27, the point is who's going to debate the guy - do you want me to pick? This could go on all day.

Well, Augusto said he'd create a poll so we could all vote. I'm OK with that idea.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Devils Advocate

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Provocateur
« Reply #33 on: February 25, 2012, 02:59:52 PM »
Augusto is not even viewing this thread right now. I say that Lucifer has shown the most eagerness - just set it up and have Lucifer go first and we shall see whether Augusto even makes argument one...
"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist."
Epicurus

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #34 on: February 25, 2012, 03:01:00 PM »
Augusto is not even viewing this thread right now.

He's going to view it in just a second, when I PM him to come here and pick who he wants to debate from the volunteers.

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #35 on: February 25, 2012, 03:09:05 PM »
I PM him to come here and pick who he wants to debate from the volunteers.
Don't forget to have him pick the debate title too :)
love and truth and love of truth

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #36 on: February 25, 2012, 03:15:34 PM »
Don't forget to have him pick the debate title too :)

He's reading the thread now. Let's just get it started and I can edit the title, but hopefully he'll say what the subject is, and hopefully who he picks will be OK with debating it. Otherwise we'll still be here this evening in this thread still at it.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #37 on: February 25, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
Okay, I'll try to respond to some of the most relevant arguments/critics/questions so far:

Moneymind: I don't see why you have to come to insults, that alone should be enought for people not to like you as a candidate, nevertheless, since you claim to have some serious background on evolution, I am curious to know what those arguments are. I would say, that even if you're not picked, you should advice the one who is going to debate me by PM or by any other way you see fit, for I would like every single argument to be on the table. As for the 2 on 2, I meant God on my side and "Random" on the other side, you can also take this as me and my arguments VS someone else and his/her arguments.

Devils Advocate: I believe this shouldn't be about convincing people, that sounds more like an emotional approach and my intend is to use the LOGICAL aproach. If one, or many is/are going to be convinced to the weight of one side, it should be based on reason and not in emotional speaches.

ParkingPlaces: 1) The opponent should be able to pick whatever he likes, as long as it's good to prove his/her point. 3) Since some members already showed interest in taking part of this debate, I believe this debate is going to prove you my capacity or incapacity to defend my opinions, nevertheless, nobody is going to lose anything (I think). 3) Hopefully the debate will last enough.

Sun_king: Hopefully the winner will be decided by everyone, individually; There is not unnaceptable evidence, for each evidence presented, the other must offer his/her interpretation and we will see which evidences are stronger. The God shall be YHWH, but it is also valid that the atheist offers evidence of another deity, even Santa if he likes to persuade me. In my case, I will be pointing only at YHWH.

HAL: "Probabilities of God's existence" since it cannot be proven His existence or non-existence.

The Wannabe: I commit myself to follow the debate until the very end, and also to admit my mistake if the weight of the other side is heavier than mine.

Jetson: I'm planning to work on this debate first, then we will see what happens there. If I find this place and this debate agressive, emotional, hostile, and so on, I shall leave it. That's for certain, but as long as it work, I will continue until the end, then, if I win, I will go to IGI. They have options for different debates also, like the validity of certain religions, which I'm not going to miss in any case.

Okay, the rules shall be the same as the comunity rules, and of a civil conversation. I would also like that you guys pick someone capable of answering on a regular base, I would really hate to wait days for a reply. No double post should be allowed either, and everyone MUST offer arguments, not just wait to "destroy" the other's arguments, so basically we start offering arguments, then we reply, offering more arguments if there were to be more, and trying to destroy arguments.

So, I believe we can have a quick vote, maybe (if you guys agree) we could take a day for people to vote, then tomorrow we can start.

People, please choose who will be.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:12:01 PM by Augusto »

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2012, 03:16:40 PM »
Okay, I'll try to respond to some of the most relevant arguments/critics/questions so far:

Please just pick your opponent so we can get the debate started. This is turning into a Federal project.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2012, 03:23:51 PM »
Since you claim that I made a racial slur you are either a liar or stupid.
\
Where did he make the claim. I read the post of his you smited and didn't see anything about you at all.

What post of yours was he commenting on. I'm rather curious if an impartial person might see why he felt that you made a racial slur.

The world isn't a binary place. It may very well be that you didn't intend to make a racial slur but your post was interpreted differently than you intended.

Sometimes it isn't a matter of stupidity or dishonesty but communication.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 03:29:09 PM »
Since you claim that I made a racial slur you are either a liar or stupid.
\
Where did he make the claim. I read the post of his you smited and didn't see anything about you at all.

What post of yours was he commenting on. I'm rather curious if an impartial person might see why he felt that you made a racial slur.

The world isn't a binary place. It may very well be that you didn't intend to make a racial slur but your post was interpreted differently than you intended.

Sometimes it isn't a matter of stupidity or dishonesty but communication.

When I saw he had given me a negative Darwin I went to the first thread with his name and used a random post to make a Darwin, so it would show above his. Then I made a post within the thread in question:

I am going to give you the benefit of the doubt Augusto. I thought you said that you were Muslim (somewhere in this thread) so I threw you an olive branch. It was also a way for me to determine more about you in an attempt to understand your point of view. Perhaps off topic (but in an attempt to more easily address the topic in a way you would understand) ...BUT definitely not trolling.

BTW Augusto, My sister is Muslim and my best friend is Muslim. My other family members are all Christian. I love them all, and I am equally tough on their beliefs. I just think it is silly to believe in anything supernatural.

I have a brother in law that is a conspiracy theorist and believes aliens control our world. I'm tough on those beliefs too.

My wife is a new ager who believes in homeopathy and the law of attraction. I am equally tough on those beliefs.

The common thread: No reason to believe anything without evidence. Nearly everything can be explained as part of nature and virtual nothing supernatural can be confirmed. What can't be explained (YET) it's easy for me to say "I don't Know."

Then I said this:

Good morning Augusto:
I hope you don't mind me asking. Are you Persian? You "sound" a lot like my Persian friend.

How is that racial?

We have kissed and made up, so it's all good, thank you!

Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline rickymooston

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 03:52:58 PM »
We have kissed and made up, so it's all good, thank you!

Great.

Anyway, you should have applauded me for obliging you on giving you the smite you were unable to give your self.

:police:

In any case, I'm sure that I will want to smite myself at some point.
"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 03:54:56 PM »
Please cut the off-topic so we can get the debate going.

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 03:55:17 PM »
Well, if we're polling for who'll debate Augusto, Lucifer gets my vote.
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 03:57:39 PM »

No, I told him to choose so we can get it going. I have no idea why he's spending so much time on the post he's writing up. This is worse than herding cats.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #45 on: February 25, 2012, 04:00:14 PM »
Can he have a delay of game penalty?

Whoever the participant is I hope it gets going soon. I have plans for tonight and need to get ready but I want to at least see the first couple of exchanges.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #46 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:10 PM »

No, I told him to choose so we can get it going. I have no idea why he's spending so much time on the post he's writing up. This is worse than herding cats.

It seems as if he doesn't want to debate today...
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #47 on: February 25, 2012, 04:01:29 PM »
Augusto:
Moneymind: I don't see why you have to come to insults, that alone should be enought for people not to like you as a candidate, nevertheless, since you claim to have some serious background on evolution, I am curious to know what those arguments are. I would say, that even if you're not picked, you should advice the one who is going to debate me by PM or by any other way you see fit, for I would like every single argument to be on the table. As for the 2 on 2, I meant God on my side and "Random" on the other side, you can also take this as me and my arguments VS someone else and his/her arguments.

Well, to refresh your memory, I was responding to your false accusations. But that is water under the bridge, and since you apologized (sort of) then let's put that behind us.

I never made the claim I have some serious background on evolution, you must be thinking of someone else. However, I have stated twice that if you start a thread in the appropriate section, I will be glad to talk to you about it.

In the case of 2 on 2, you are incorrect. You have yourself, plus an alleged (imaginary) god against evolution which is comprised of random (mutations) heredity, and natural selection PLUS whoever you end up debating. You are outnumbered any way you count it.

Added: Oh yeah, as I said before, I won't debate you unless you beg me on bended knees.  :)
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:06:33 PM by monkeymind »
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2012, 04:04:20 PM »
I edited my previous post answering pretty much everyone.
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:06:46 PM by Augusto »

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #49 on: February 25, 2012, 04:05:23 PM »
Okay, the voting is on, it should last one day only. Make sure to vote for your favorite.

Nope - poll deleted.

Pick a member and let's get on with the debate. Delaying it is nonsense. Pick a member right now and stop delaying tactics.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #50 on: February 25, 2012, 04:07:32 PM »
I PMed you, because I dont know anyone in the comunity (I just registered yesterday), maybe you should pick someone.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #51 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:27 PM »
Good Grief.

I'm going to take a nap. Have it decided in 1 hour.

The debate is normally supposed to be harder than getting it started.

Offline Devils Advocate

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Provocateur
« Reply #52 on: February 25, 2012, 04:09:53 PM »
Devils Advocate: I believe this shouldn't be about convincing people, that sounds more like an emotional approach and my intend is to use the LOGICAL aproach. If one, or many is/are going to be convinced to the weight of one side, it should be based on reason and not in emotional speaches [sic].
I was not suggesting an emotional approach. It was my intent to logically persuade, not to preach.

Of course, persuasion by logic will only work if the person has an open mind, which I have not seen any evidence of yet...
"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist."
Epicurus

Offline Devils Advocate

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Provocateur
« Reply #53 on: February 25, 2012, 04:12:54 PM »
Augusto: just tell Hal that you pick Lucifer, and then get started. Lucifer has not put any time restrictions on his ability to post, and he has demonstrated a desire, repeatedly, to debate you. He was also the first person to accept your challenge. Quit wasting time and begin.

If you must insist that the atheists choose, then we have chosen Lucifer...
Epicurus

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
« Reply #54 on: February 25, 2012, 04:14:33 PM »
Well, it should be decided based on evidence. No evidence for God = 0
Positive evidence for evolution = lots and lots
Probability of God based on difference = millions to one

Offline One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +280/-37
« Reply #55 on: February 25, 2012, 04:15:31 PM »
Lucifer has not put any time restrictions on his ability to post

I didn't mention any time restrictions, but they do exist. For example, I'm going to sleep in a couple of hours (that's an 8-9 hour break), and I have classes every day (obviously not during the weekends), although that should only be a minor setback (my busiest day is like 4-5 hours).
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:17:48 PM by Lucifer »
We choose our own gods.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +732/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #56 on: February 25, 2012, 04:16:21 PM »
I agree with DA, choose Lucifer. Quickly. You're irritating the locals.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #57 on: February 25, 2012, 04:19:21 PM »
HAL said he will choose, you should ask him. Also I have visitors, I will start answering whenever I can. As Lucifer said, time limitations does exist.