Author Topic: I Challenge ONE Person to a debate  (Read 2106 times)

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
I Challenge ONE Person to a debate
« on: February 25, 2012, 11:32:45 AM »
Hello everyone, this topic is to challenge this comunity to pick up ONE person to start a formal and civil debate with me to determine what is more likely.

I will argue about God's existence, and one of you should represent this comunity and argue God's non-existence.

As said in my other topic, so far it have been impossible to prove God's existence as well as His non-existence, therefore, this debate is meant to determine what is more likely to be true, and because of that, what possition is more logic.

Since I'm new in the comunity, I do not know who is more capable of representing the atheist point of view in here, so, I would like to be this very comunity to propose candidates that really know of the subject. You can either propose yourself, or someone else.

Hopefully, this comunity is not afraid of a 2 on 2 civil debate.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: I Challenge ONE Person to a debate
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2012, 11:35:01 AM »
Guys, if you'll let me, I think I can represent our side.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline 12 Monkeys

• Fellow
  • Darwins +103/-11
  • Dii hau dang ijii
« Reply #2 on: February 25, 2012, 11:38:46 AM »
Guys, if you'll let me, I think I can represent our side.
rip him a new one ....gently :laugh:
There's no right there's no wrong,there's just popular opinion (Brad Pitt as Jeffery Goines in 12 monkeys)

Offline RNS

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +12/-1
  • Diplomat
« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2012, 11:39:53 AM »
BM
love and truth and love of truth

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2012, 11:40:57 AM »
rip him a new one ....gently :laugh:

If he accepts, it'll be my first debate. I promise I won't be too rough. ;)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Augusto

• Student
  • Darwins +3/-15
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2012, 11:43:28 AM »
This is serious, I trust some of you would understand the importance of measuring the arguments to support each side and offer a worth candidate to the debate.

I personally believe Lucifer would be a bad choice, nevertheless, it should be the call of the comunity and not mine. After some members are proposed I'll open a poll so everyone can vote for the most popular one (if needed).

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +274/-34
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2012, 11:47:59 AM »
Well, my knowledge of the Bible is fairly limited, so I might not be the best candidate. Then again, if the "debate" proceeds in a similar manner to your thread (you refusing to provide evidence), then it will be over pretty quickly without me having to do any research.
We choose our own gods.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2012, 12:17:51 PM »
Sorry Augusto:
I don't debate dishonest or stupid persons. Since you claim that I made a racial slur you are either a liar or stupid. Which is it?

If you lied, and If you beg me (on your knees asking for forgiveness) I might debate you.
If you are stupid, learn the english language and something abut evolution and then come back, I'll debate you.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline Devils Advocate

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Provocateur
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2012, 12:27:58 PM »
I would like to offer to debate Augusto. Like Lucifer, I have not debated one on one in this forum before, and I have not jumped into the debate on the other thread, which may mean that Augusto is more disposed to arguing with me than Lucifer.

Might I also propose that the goal of the debate should be to persuade the other side to change his mind? I think Lucifer is quite capable of bringing light to the nonsense that is pitched, but a devil might be able to tempt Job to curse his god and become an atheist. :)

Also, Augusto, can I ask, as they sometimes say here, which branch of batshit crazy did you fall from? You can read about my background in the Introductions forum, but I cannot say that I have a good idea which god you believe in. It seems from your posts to be more like a jedi force that gives you warm fuzzies rather than any of the specific gods described in any particular claim of scripture. 
"Death does not concern us, because as long as we exist, death is not here. And when it does come, we no longer exist."
Epicurus

Offline bertatberts

• Reader
  • Darwins +48/-8
  • Humanists. Not perfect. Not forgiven. Responsible.
« Reply #9 on: February 25, 2012, 12:31:09 PM »
Well, my knowledge of the Bible is fairly limited, so I might not be the best candidate. Then again, if the "debate" proceeds in a similar manner to your thread (you refusing to provide evidence), then it will be over pretty quickly without me having to do any research.
Extensive knowledge of the bible isn't needed as you showed him in your replies in the other thread, You go for it mate.
It should be over in a jiffy, he has to establish a logical basis for his assertion, and we know where that's going to go, don't we.
We theists have no evidence for our beliefs. So no amount of rational evidence will dissuade us from those beliefs. - JCisall

It would be pretty piss poor brainwashing, if the victims knew they were brainwashed, wouldn't it? - Screwtape. 04/12/12

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #10 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:42 PM »
I think it's pretty stupid to have the community appoint someone to debate with you, dude. Just debate the first comer, or if you wish, the second comer. You've already had two people accept. I hope you take one of them up, instead of saying, 'oh, you're not good enough' or something like that.  Because it makes you look like a pus.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline changeling

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +15/-0
« Reply #11 on: February 25, 2012, 12:35:54 PM »
Although I don't doubt Lucfer's ability, I do wish Kcrady was willing.
I really do not believe however,  that Augusto is prepared with a defensible argument.
The level of dumb they have to sell, is only made remotely possible by the level of flocking their sheep are willing to do in the name of rewards for no thought. quote: Kin Hell

"Faith is the enemy of evidence, for when we know the truth, no faith is required." Graybeard

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2012, 12:37:30 PM »
Augusto, I have a few questions re: the proposed debate.

1. You claim that you are not religious, but you use biblical prophecy as one of your reasons for believing there is a god. Will your opponent be allowed to cite prophecy and other claims from other religions too, or is your opponent limited to disbelieving only christianity.

2. Your little march through negative karmaville this morning was not well received. As a member who has never given negative karma to anyone, no matter how much I disliked or disagreed with them, I find it hard to understand why you felt it necessary to zap a few folks. Obviously others did the same to you, and I'm not accusing you of being unfair, but it leads me to think that you might not have the ability to debate without having your feelings hurt. Can you prove me wrong?

3. Though the debate is one-on-one, a concurrent thread runs at the same time where the rest of us can comment on posts in the debate as they unfold. Will you be able to handle a site full of atheists commenting on your belief system? If you look through previous debates, you will notice they seldom last long. The believer disappears, never to be seen again. Luckily, that is not because the atheist mafia snuffed them, but rather because they quit trying and left. It would be nice to have a debate last awhile. Are you up to it?

Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Emily

• Professor
  • Darwins +49/-0
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2012, 12:37:53 PM »

Agusto wouldn't last two posts against Kcrady. It would be fun to watch, but it would be over to quick.
"Great moments are born from great opportunities." Herb Brooks

I edit a lot of my posts. The reason being it to add content or to correct grammar/wording. All edits to remove wording get a strike through through the wording.

Offline monkeymind

• Fellow
  • Darwins +44/-4
  • I don't understand what I know about it!
    • How To Know If You Are A Real Christian
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2012, 12:39:08 PM »
IDK, he says I challenge ONE Person to a debate. But tThen he says

I'm not sure he is up to the challenge.
Truthfinder:the birds adapt and change through million of years in order to survive ,is that science, then cats should evolve also wings to better catch the birds
Mailbag:On a side note, back in college before my conversion, I actually saw a demon sitting next to me in critical thinking class.

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2012, 12:45:03 PM »
I am relatively new to this forum, so I would prefer watching it out. But like in all spectator events, I like to have a clue on what is happening. Simple things like what is acceptable, how a winner is decided and what not to do, the usual stuff.

So what will be an acceptable evidence? (What will be unacceptable evidence?)
Is there a moderator?
How is the winner found?
And above all, which god? I'd prefer Shiva or Brahma, but that's just my thought. Zeus and Mbobo would be just fine.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +722/-6
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2012, 12:52:51 PM »
I am relatively new to this forum, so I would prefer watching it out. But like in all spectator events, I like to have a clue on what is happening. Simple things like what is acceptable, how a winner is decided and what not to do, the usual stuff.

So what will be an acceptable evidence? (What will be unacceptable evidence?)
Is there a moderator?
How is the winner found?
And above all, which god? I'd prefer Shiva or Brahma, but that's just my thought. Zeus and Mbobo would be just fine.

Sadly, none of the previous debates have lasted long enough for any of that to be an issue. Other than your moderator question. Screwtape has been doing that as of late, I believe.
Not everyone is entitled to their own opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2012, 01:04:17 PM »
What do you want the title of the debate to be?

If Pony doesn't come by and set it up I'll do it in the debate area.

Offline Bad Pear

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
  • Observations from one bad fruit to the bunch.
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2012, 01:08:33 PM »
BM
Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions implode, atheism is what is left behind

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2012, 01:10:31 PM »
I'll throw my name in the hat.
Just don't expect a lightning turn around on replies.

Meanwhile I think you need to pick the person you want from the replies and tell Hal so he can set it up.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2012, 01:24:51 PM »

Agusto wouldn't last two posts against Kcrady. It would be fun to watch, but it would be over to quick.

Agreed. Actually I don't think he'd last two posts against most of the people here. Especially the "lifers".
"I drank what?!"- Socrates

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.
Spartan Reply: If.

Offline MadBunny

• Fellow
  • Darwins +110/-0
  • Fallen Illuminatus
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2012, 01:40:02 PM »

Is there a moderator?
How is the winner found?

Usually there is a closed thread that just the participants and moderator post into, and a related thread for commentary that people following the debate use.  At least, that used to be how it was done, it's possible things have changed.  I haven't followed a debate in a while.

Ultimately a victory should consist of either a concession, or the moderator declaring impasse.
Considering the subject at hand... I don't predict that will be the case. [1]
 1. I predict one person will run away and cry into a corner, sobbing big crocodile tears about how unfair it all is.
Give a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a night.  Set a man on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life.

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2012, 01:43:03 PM »
If there is a debate, I'm curious to see if Augusto will do us the favor of seeing the discussion to its conclusion.  That would be most refreshing.  :)
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2012, 01:46:01 PM »
Since you are also challenging over at IGI, will you be able to keep up with both forums and the debates you get into?

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #24 on: February 25, 2012, 01:47:36 PM »

Whos' it going to be then? Madbunny or Lucifer, or another.

I'll set up the debate thread and a commentary thread.

Let's get it on.

Offline The Wannabe

• Graduate
  • Darwins +18/-0
  • Agnostic atheist...until further notice.
« Reply #25 on: February 25, 2012, 01:51:30 PM »
Hello everyone, this topic is to challenge this comunity to pick up ONE person to start a formal and civil debate with me to determine what is more likely.

I will argue about God's existence, and one of you should represent this comunity and argue God's non-existence.

As said in my other topic, so far it have been impossible to prove God's existence as well as His non-existence, therefore, this debate is meant to determine what is more likely to be true, and because of that, what possition is more logic.

Since I'm new in the comunity, I do not know who is more capable of representing the atheist point of view in here, so, I would like to be this very comunity to propose candidates that really know of the subject. You can either propose yourself, or someone else.

And i believe you mean a "1 on 1 civil debate", although, a tag team contest would be fun.  It'd be like the WWGHA version of "Marvel vs. Capcom"!
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 03:21:17 PM by The Wannabe »
"I would believe only in a God that knows how to Dance."  -Friedrich Nietzsche

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #26 on: February 25, 2012, 02:06:00 PM »
What the hell. I'm bored enough to volunteer.

My responses might take a few days though. Not like he'll last long anyways though.

"Dying for something when you know you'll be resurrected is not a sacrifice.It's a parlour trick."- an aquaintance

Philip of Macedon: (via messenger) If we enter Sparta, we will raze all your buildings and ravage all your women.

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +533/-13
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2012, 02:20:34 PM »
Given Augusto's tendency to think he has the right to judge others for breaking rules while ignoring the rules and methods for dealing with people who actually break the rules, I don't think this will end well.  I can just see him claiming that his opponent is "breaking the rules" (for example, by asking questions he doesn't want to answer or doesn't think is on-topic), either through accusations or karma smites, and using that as an excuse to avoid addressing it.  Or "declaring victory" and quitting the debate, like he did in the other topic.

I also wouldn't be surprised to receive another karma smite from him for this post.  After all, it's "off-topic" from what he set the subject to be, and that's apparently the most important criteria for whether he thinks something is off-topic.

Offline Alzael

• Fellow
  • Darwins +112/-23
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2012, 02:23:31 PM »
Actually I'm curious as to what Augustos would consider to be a civil debate. So far his own behaviour has been rather douche-baggy and hypocritical.

Edit:Jaime pointed it out more eloquently just before I finished.