Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
163 (16.6%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
95 (9.7%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.2%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
284 (29%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.1%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.4%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
37 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
89 (9.1%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
38 (3.9%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
8 (0.8%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.4%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 641

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 100571 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +182/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #725 on: August 19, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
I don't understand why life would be considered meaningless and amoral with no god.  I think the Golden Rule transcends religion.  Just treat others the way you want to be treated pretty much covers every dilemma.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Offline Emma286

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +43/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #726 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
Very recently turned Agnostic Athiest.   Discovering the God Is Imaginary website is the main reason why I changed my position from Agnostic to this.  I find the Athiest arguments against the existence  of gods much stronger/rooted in reality than all Theist arguments, out of all those I've come across so far.
What made you look? Had you seen stuff on youtube or forums?

You know I really can’t remember exactly! Still, I have a feeling it was probably something to do with discovering Pat Condell on YouTube (I found some of the videos he put up pretty hilarious as well as finding various things he said on the subject of religion spot on) and being moved to do some kind of google search on atheist arguments!  ;) 

Very recently turned Agnostic Athiest.   Discovering the God Is Imaginary website is the main reason why I changed my position from Agnostic to this.  I find the Athiest arguments against the existence  of gods much stronger/rooted in reality than all Theist arguments, out of all those I've come across so far.

I always think the main benefit of any argument is for the audience, who can see that theists just project their own personality onto their god, (This is known as SPAG, self projection about god.) and that theists project their intuition onto reality to create a false context for their god ( I call this SPAR, self projection about reality.).
Theists who come here to argue and preach are entrenched in their own little bubbles or worldviews and cannot understand other people or arguments outside of their worldview, so don't get frustrated if you make no impression on them. Just show the audience that theists are fooling themselves.

On your first point, I think what you say there makes a lot of sense.   I don’t know lots about how unconscious psychological projection works, but enough to appreciate where you’re coming from.   Sounds accurate enough to me!   

Also agreeing on all you said about believers being entrenched in their own little bubbles/worldviews.   That’s something that in recent years has been becoming increasingly clear to me too.   

Will be sure to bear your advice in mind and make use of it, thanks for that!  ;) 

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +283/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #727 on: September 03, 2015, 10:31:53 AM »
I don't understand why life would be considered meaningless and amoral with no god.  I think the Golden Rule transcends religion.  Just treat others the way you want to be treated pretty much covers every dilemma.

As a former believer and apologist I can tell you with confidence that the notion that life is meaningless without god, and the belief that there can be no objective morality without god, stems from assumption that there must be some ultimate and final authority on basically every matter of life. The concept/doctrine is very top down and goes something like the following.

#1 - MORLITY
-A final authority is necessary in order for justice to be served and wrongs "righted"
-This final authority must, by definition, have the capacity and will of rendering perfect justice and/or mercy when necessary
-Without a final authority there can be no wrongs righted, in any ultimate or lasting sense
-Without a final authority man has no objective and/or "concrete" basis by which to base his/her moral decision making
-Thus, without a final authority (we call it "God") there is no basis for any objective morality to be rendered and all moral judgements are just preference

#2 - MEANING
-If life is not ultimately eternal, temporal actions do not have any real and/or ultimate meaning or significance
-If life is not ultimately eternal, then life can have no ultimate meaning (since it will eventually end and be forgotten)
-According to atheism life is not eternal
-Thus, under atheism life has no meaning, value, and/or significance and all actions are meaningless and/or irrelevant in the grand scheme of things
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1636/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #728 on: September 03, 2015, 12:22:33 PM »
^^^That is a very sad and limited way to look at life. What a waste of the few short years we have on earth. Don't try to improve anything.  Just endure whatever lot god hands you and hope for the heavenly reward. With that attitude, why not just get a sign that says, "Repent for the end is near" and stand on the street corner reading the bible to passersby? Why even go to school or get a job? What is the point?

And if someone really does think that way, why would they try to prevent crime or bring criminals to justice? God will get it sorted in the end. :?

So very Hindu.
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.

Offline Jag

• Fellow
  • Darwins +334/-9
  • Official WWGHA Harpy, Ex-rosary squad
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #729 on: September 03, 2015, 08:18:49 PM »
A population that is conditioned to defer to the highest available authority reflexively is a population ideally suited to become a theocracy, or perhaps an oligarchy. The power dynamics would be irresistible for... well, apparently the GOP, for starters. Or whichever unscrupulous megalomaniac seizes power.

I'm going to have to spend some time considering that idle thought to see if there's any real substance to it...

“Be skeptical. But when you get proof, accept proof.” –Michael Specter

Offline Emma286

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +43/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #730 on: September 04, 2015, 02:39:45 PM »
^^^That is a very sad and limited way to look at life. What a waste of the few short years we have on earth. Don't try to improve anything.  Just endure whatever lot god hands you and hope for the heavenly reward. With that attitude, why not just get a sign that says, "Repent for the end is near" and stand on the street corner reading the bible to passersby? Why even go to school or get a job? What is the point?

And if someone really does think that way, why would they try to prevent crime or bring criminals to justice? God will get it sorted in the end. :?

So very Hindu.

For one, I can somewhat understand this way of thinking/seeing things.    Not saying that I think it makes believing in religion the best idea!  But all the same, I can appreciate why ( to some degree) why some hold that kind of world/existence view.   Am honestly not a Hindu!  Just someone who knows what it's like to be there and some of the reasons that can lead to it.   ;)

Online nogodsforme

• Laureate
  • Darwins +1636/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #731 on: September 04, 2015, 05:22:08 PM »
A Hindu perspective accepts that this world is a place full of suffering for most people, and there is not much that anyone can do about it. The gods made the world the way it should be for everyone, so if you suffer, it is because you deserve it. If you endure your suffering well, you will be rewarded in the next life. You can't really change your life because that is up to the gods.

That is a fundy Christian view as well. We suffer because of original sin and we cannot do much about that. We can only hope to do the right things and believe the right stuff and hope that god will reward us in the next life. Same basic thing. Only with one god instead of many.
If people really believed in god's will they would not buy insurance.

Prayer is a sign that god has ADHD.

Offline Emma286

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +43/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #732 on: September 25, 2015, 08:29:41 AM »
Seem to recall reading some time back that Buddhism came out of Hinduism.   Some parts of it strike me as being pretty sensible, but have my doubts on the whole karma/reincarnation thing!  I do believe in karma in terms of how we all influence each others reactions at times with our own behaviour but not in a supernatural sense.  I get the impression this is what they believe in as do Hindu's! 

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +580/-134
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
« Reply #733 on: September 25, 2015, 09:49:34 AM »
Seem to recall reading some time back that Buddhism came out of Hinduism.   Some parts of it strike me as being pretty sensible, but have my doubts on the whole karma/reincarnation thing!  I do believe in karma in terms of how we all influence each others reactions at times with our own behaviour but not in a supernatural sense.  I get the impression this is what they believe in as do Hindu's!

http://www.buddhanet.net/e-learning/dharmadata/fdd48.htm

-Nam
"presumptions are the bitch of all assumptions" -- me

Offline Emma286

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +43/-1
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #734 on: September 25, 2015, 11:38:24 AM »
Thanks for including that link Nam, useful to know!

Offline Nudawn11

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #735 on: November 26, 2015, 11:22:24 AM »
Did you know that Astika (theists) and Nastika (Atheists) simultaneously exists as a part of ancient Hinduism, and is still accepted in the Hindu Philosophical community?
Beat that  :blank:
I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road. - Stephen Hawking

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +580/-134
« Reply #736 on: November 26, 2015, 12:52:27 PM »
Did you know that Astika (theists) and Nastika (Atheists) simultaneously exists as a part of ancient Hinduism, and is still accepted in the Hindu Philosophical community?
Beat that  :blank:

Nooooooooo really?!?!? Man, us atheists learn new things all the time. Most aheists, especially at websites like this, are quite literate in all the major religions, and since Hinduism is not only the longest held continuing religion but the oldest known religion in the world, it also created Buddhism and Jainism, which many atheists highly respect.

Hinduism, however, is more theistic these days than atheistic as it used to be.

Also, don't be an ass, that's my job.

-Nam

Offline Nudawn11

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #737 on: November 27, 2015, 04:33:58 AM »

Nooooooooo really?!?!? Man, us atheists learn new things all the time. Most aheists, especially at websites like this, are quite literate in all the major religions, and since Hinduism is not only the longest held continuing religion but the oldest known religion in the world, it also created Buddhism and Jainism, which many atheists highly respect.

Hinduism, however, is more theistic these days than atheistic as it used to be.

Also, don't be an ass, that's my job.

-Nam

Hi Nam,
Completely agree with your statement "Hinduism, however, is more theistic these days than atheistic as it used to be". And that's the degeneration that have happened with almost all non-Abrahmic religions recently. Its one of my personal reasons to move away from religiousness.
But primarily Hinduism is gradual development; Beginning from a philosophical set of books(Vedas / Samhitas) to a set of guidelines for to lead your life (Veadanta) and finally transforming into Hinduism as money and power got involved.  :-X
What differentiates Vedanta from all religions including Hinduism is that it is based on 2 principles 1st Satya : this is about truth that you know and believe in. It is also because of that that Theism and Atheism is both included as it is your choice to believe in the truth or not. 2nd is Rta which roughly means order of nature and universe and translated in today's term Science. The combination of these 2 concepts makes it an extremely powerful and timeless development tool for the human race as the element Satya continuously builds upon itself with the progress (Rta).

Its a far bigger discussion(the Vedas are 4 volumes of huge books) but I hope this gives you a gist.

And sorry for my ignorance; i could not catch your statement "don't be an ass, that's my job"
« Last Edit: November 27, 2015, 04:49:40 AM by Nudawn11 »
I have noticed even people who claim everything is predestined, and that we can do nothing to change it, look before they cross the road. - Stephen Hawking

Offline Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +580/-134
« Reply #738 on: November 27, 2015, 05:09:30 AM »
Quote from: SPAG'er
it is your choice to believe in the truth or not.

Which one's the truth: atheism or theism?

-Nam

Offline Nudawn11

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #739 on: November 27, 2015, 07:13:28 AM »
Which one's the truth: atheism or theism?
-Nam

I dont know, I did not write the Vedas 3000 years ago.  ;D
And are you mocking me? I have seen your posts & your intellectual capability (as in a compliment)

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +320/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #740 on: November 27, 2015, 08:06:52 AM »
I don't know what Hinduism is. The Persians came up the name, because they mispronounced Sindhu. The British took Hindu, to distinguish the riff raff from Muslims and Christians, who lived over the Indus river. After Pakistan took the Indus river, the Indians forgot about it, so became more Ganges worshippers. Now Indians believe that Hindu is a real word, that they invented.
Teach a man his beliefs are wrong, and he will kill you, today.
Teach a man science, and he can dismantle his beliefs for a lifetime, and have no one else to blame it on. - Anonymous poet

Offline Nudawn11

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #741 on: November 27, 2015, 09:58:41 AM »
I don't know what Hinduism is. The Persians came up the name, because they mispronounced Sindhu. The British took Hindu, to distinguish the riff raff from Muslims and Christians, who lived over the Indus river. After Pakistan took the Indus river, the Indians forgot about it, so became more Ganges worshippers. Now Indians believe that Hindu is a real word, that they invented.

Agree. But mentioning "Sanatana Dharma" would probably not ring any bell in this forum

Offline shnozzola

• Reader
  • Darwins +155/-2
« Reply #742 on: November 27, 2015, 12:12:10 PM »
"Sanatana Dharma" certainly didn't ring any bells with me.  However, knowing "google" is my friend, I look it up, and it reminds me why I consider Hinduism possible practices to be as horrifying as Christianity and Islam, etc. possibly practices, when a wealthy family goes in search of an untouchable child to sacrifice as a cure for a "touchable".  We must never stop this debate against what religion can stand for.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/27/asia/nepal-human-sacrifice/index.html
We have guided missiles and misguided men.  ~ Martin Luther King, Jr.

Offline Nudawn11

• Freshman
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #743 on: November 30, 2015, 05:55:05 AM »
"Sanatana Dharma" certainly didn't ring any bells with me.  However, knowing "google" is my friend, I look it up, and it reminds me why I consider Hinduism possible practices to be as horrifying as Christianity and Islam, etc. possibly practices, when a wealthy family goes in search of an untouchable child to sacrifice as a cure for a "touchable".  We must never stop this debate against what religion can stand for.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/27/asia/nepal-human-sacrifice/index.html

Absolutely disgusting. It reiterates myth thoughts on religion, It exists purely for the benefit of some at the cost of most.
Education is the only way out.

Offline Strawman

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Attempting free thought
« Reply #744 on: January 12, 2016, 10:49:32 AM »
I said I'm gnostic atheist but my problem is that I'm so atheist I don't really understand the question.  I don't know what anyone means when they talk about gods, I can't tell what is metaphor and what isn't, and I don't know what all the possible types of gods are; I mean, if you want to call nature/reality a god then do I believe in that or not?  What makes something a god?
Presumed ignorance is projected ignorance.

Offline jdawg70

• Fellow
  • Darwins +794/-9
  • Ex-rosary squad
« Reply #745 on: January 12, 2016, 11:06:06 AM »
I said I'm gnostic atheist but my problem is that I'm so atheist I don't really understand the question.  I don't know what anyone means when they talk about gods, I can't tell what is metaphor and what isn't, and I don't know what all the possible types of gods are; I mean, if you want to call nature/reality a god then do I believe in that or not?  What makes something a god?

Welcome to ignostic atheism.  We don't have cookies but we've got booze.
"When we landed on the moon, that was the point where god should have come up and said 'hello'. Because if you invent some creatures, put them on the blue one and they make it to the grey one, you f**king turn up and say 'well done'."

- Eddie Izzard

http://deepaksducttape.wordpress.com/

Offline Strawman

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +14/-0
  • Attempting free thought
« Reply #746 on: January 12, 2016, 11:23:34 AM »
Welcome to ignostic atheism.  We don't have cookies but we've got booze.

"Ignosticism is the idea that the question of the existence of God is meaningless, because the term "god" has no unambiguous definition. Ignosticism requires a good, non-controversial definition of god before arguing on its existence."

Yep, that sounds like me.  Thanks.
Presumed ignorance is projected ignorance.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +488/-49
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #747 on: January 12, 2016, 11:32:45 AM »
In full, I'm a gnostic apnostic ignostic atheist. I know there are no gods, but I neither care nor think the term is well-defined (among believers). I usually say I'm a gnostic atheist. It's shorter and conveys the same relevant information (nobody cares that I don't care, and whether or not I believe a word to be well-defined doesn't mean jack to those who disagree).
My names are many, yet I am One.
-Orion, Son of Fire, Sol Invictus.

Religions need books because they don't have gods.