Author Topic: Classic Atheism  (Read 2602 times)

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
Classic Atheism
« on: July 21, 2008, 05:45:52 PM »

This guy is a classic atheist.  ;)

Online jetson

• Administrator
  • Darwins +170/-6
  • Meet George Jetson!
    • Jet Blog
Re: Classic Atheism
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2008, 05:55:42 PM »
He's tough to watch for any length of time.  It feels a bit schizo to me...but I'm no psychologist!  He's not afraid to put it out there though!

Offline Onesimus

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +4/-0
  • Endlessly striving to be a happy cartoon bear.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2008, 06:01:56 PM »
I tend to distrust the motives of preachers, theist or otherwise.  There should either be some actual knowledge imparted, or it should be performance art.  Without at least one of those aspects, it's just wasted bandwidth.

Offline Ashe

• Reader
  • Darwins +10/-1
« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2008, 06:03:56 PM »
Aww, The Amazing Atheist is quite the character. I find it hard to take him too seriously, but he certainly amuses me. I watch his videos when I have the spare minute or two (I think there are very few videos of his that I've actually been able to make it all the way through - they're all, like, 10 minutes long and stuff).
2 miles!
"All men(humans )were demon possed and were planning to attack God. Just like if you talk back to your parents." - Failbag quote

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2008, 06:13:52 PM »
I think most atheists behave this way.  ;)

Offline Airyaman

• Fellow
  • Darwins +17/-2
  • Alignment: True Neutral
    • Moving Beyond Faith
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2008, 06:57:30 PM »
20 seconds in, and I knew that this guy needs to get laid.
If you are following God why can I still see you?

Offline Count Iblis

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2008, 07:32:41 PM »
He's tough to watch for any length of time.  It feels a bit schizo to me...but I'm no psychologist!  He's not afraid to put it out there though!

Very tough to watch. I usually can't take more than a minute of his videos.
Religion is an act of sedition against reason.--P.Z. Myers

To find out more about the Evil Atheist Conspiracy visit http://www.atheistthinktank.net/

you know, hell is going to be so jammed full of lying Christians that I fear I will never get in.  --velkyn

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2008, 07:40:22 PM »
So what's with this guy? I think he's awesomely ridiculous.

Offline john

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • All hail Wilson
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2008, 09:03:46 PM »

I think most Christians behave like Kent Hovind.

(disclaimer - I am using stereotype deliberately to sarcastically point out that JTW is appealing to stereotype)

(edit - disclaimer added)
« Last Edit: July 21, 2008, 10:23:49 PM by john »
If anything can mean everything, then nothing can mean anything.
I can also be found at isgodimaginary.com

Offline cMarie

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2008, 09:26:34 PM »
I tried to watch it but found him annoying. Not a good public speaker at all. I am not surprised that is what you think most atheists act like, JTW. You so funny!  ;D

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2008, 10:17:44 PM »
I don't like him.

You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline 7deadlysins

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Gummi envy
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2008, 11:58:10 PM »
He is a bit all over the place. He can't seem to organise his thoughts before he turns the camera on.
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

If your parents never had kids chances are neither will you.

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2008, 02:01:38 AM »
The Amazing Atheist, huh?   Yeah, he's good for a bit of entertainment sometimes, but he's really one of the worst people to debate anything for logic and so on.  He gets into petty bitchfights which get more views, so it's great if you like drama, but it gets boring, whiny and fails to defend rationality.

He used various tactics to avoid debating VenomFangX, such as balking at the last minute, and refusing not to use profanity, which VFX used as an excuse not to reschedule the debate.  Debating VFX is like shooting fish in a barrel.  The only reason he agreed to argue with the Amazing Atheist is because he understood that he's one of the atheists on YouTube that he could possibly win against.   I haven't been on there for a while, but last time I checked, Kabane52 had a snowball's chance in Hell of convincing VenomFangX to debate.

Great character... I guess...  and I've left approving comments on TAA because he does amuse me.  But for intellectual substance, no way!  He's hardly your ideal poster child for atheism either.

Offline 7deadlysins

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • Gummi envy
« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2008, 02:08:03 AM »
I just saw his video "banned from McDonalds". I was embarrassed just watching it. It was ridiculous and if he meant it to be a joke he failed. Are all his videos of that standard ?
Don't take life so seriously, it's not permanent.

If your parents never had kids chances are neither will you.

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2008, 02:12:54 AM »
I lasted 1 minutes 23 seconds. All I could think of while watching the video was, "Does he live in his parents garage?"

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #15 on: July 22, 2008, 02:16:29 AM »
I lasted 1 minutes 23 seconds. All I could think of while watching the video was, "Does he live in his parents garage?"

-Nam

I can't see YouTube right now, but I'm guessing it was one of his videos that is filmed in the garage, right?   Yeah, that's what always got me.  He has to film there to avoid being too loud for his step mum, I think. 

Online Nam

• Laureate
  • Darwins +298/-82
  • I'm on the road less traveled...
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #16 on: July 22, 2008, 02:25:49 AM »

-Nam

I can't see YouTube right now, but I'm guessing it was one of his videos that is filmed in the garage, right?   Yeah, that's what always got me.  He has to film there to avoid being too loud for his step mum, I think. 

Is that his excuse?

-Nam
A god is like a rock: it does absolutely nothing until someone or something forces it to do something. The only capability the rock has is doing nothing until another force compels it physically to move.

The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously - Humphrey

Offline JTW

• Reader
  • Darwins +0/-0
« Reply #17 on: July 22, 2008, 07:08:48 AM »

(disclaimer - I am using stereotype deliberately to sarcastically point out that JTW is appealing to stereotype)

Finally, someone picked up on my silly plan.

Generous George

« Reply #18 on: July 22, 2008, 07:56:43 AM »
"Classic Atheist" ????   ::)

Offline spider

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • ATT ambassador
    • Atheist Think Tank
« Reply #19 on: July 22, 2008, 06:21:37 PM »

Finally, someone picked up on my silly plan.
Touché.

That does annoy me.  I don't think we have to stereotype theists to make them look silly, or even make them look silly to rebut their arguments. 

It's hard not to do this with creationists, though.   Real hard.  I'm sure there are exceptions, but the rule seems to prevail 99% of the time.  They need to pick better representatives for their message.

Generous George

« Reply #20 on: July 22, 2008, 06:32:39 PM »
It is kind of telling that it is hard to discern between creationist satire and bonafide creationists, How do you tell an adult tactfully there is no Santa? ???