Poll

What is your religious position?

gnostic atheist - I know for certain that there are no gods.
159 (16.3%)
gnostic monotheist - I know for certain that only one specific god exists.
95 (9.7%)
gnostic polytheist - I know for certain that there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
gnostic pantheist - I know for certain that that everything is god.
12 (1.2%)
gnostic deist - I know for certain that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
6 (0.6%)
agnostic atheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there are no gods.
283 (29%)
agnostic monotheist - I do not know for certain, but I think only one specific god exists.
21 (2.2%)
agnostic polytheist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is more than one god.
4 (0.4%)
agnostic pantheist - I do not know for certain, but I think that everything is god.
24 (2.5%)
agnostic deist - I do not know for certain, but I think there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
37 (3.8%)
ignostic atheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there are no gods.
88 (9%)
ignostic monotheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that only one specific god exists.
2 (0.2%)
ignostic polytheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is more than one god.
1 (0.1%)
ignostic pantheist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that that everything is god.
10 (1%)
ignostic deist - While the concepts of god(s) are meaningless, it is likely that there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic atheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there are no gods.
38 (3.9%)
apnostic monotheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess only one specific god exists.
1 (0.1%)
apnostic polytheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is more than one god.
0 (0%)
apnostic pantheist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess that everything is god.
7 (0.7%)
apnostic deist - I don't care if there are any gods, but I guess there is a god that started the universe but does not actively meddle with it or us.
8 (0.8%)
Any type of henotheist - There (may be/is only) more than one god, but I think of only one specific god.
6 (0.6%)
I am a god!  [checks self in mirror and grins]
82 (8.4%)
Missionary.
30 (3.1%)
So! Many! Choices! (Karma Sutra)
50 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 636

Author Topic: What is your religious position?  (Read 91627 times)

Offline LoriPinkAngel

• Reader
  • Darwins +159/-6
  • I'm Your Nurse, Not Your Waitress...
Re: What is your religious position?
« Reply #725 on: August 19, 2015, 04:37:47 PM »
I don't understand why life would be considered meaningless and amoral with no god.  I think the Golden Rule transcends religion.  Just treat others the way you want to be treated pretty much covers every dilemma.
It doesn't make sense to let go of something you've had for so long.  But it also doesn't make sense to hold on when there's actually nothing there.

Online Emma286

• Student
  • Darwins +6/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #726 on: August 21, 2015, 06:43:25 AM »
Very recently turned Agnostic Athiest.   Discovering the God Is Imaginary website is the main reason why I changed my position from Agnostic to this.  I find the Athiest arguments against the existence  of gods much stronger/rooted in reality than all Theist arguments, out of all those I've come across so far.
What made you look? Had you seen stuff on youtube or forums?

You know I really can’t remember exactly! Still, I have a feeling it was probably something to do with discovering Pat Condell on YouTube (I found some of the videos he put up pretty hilarious as well as finding various things he said on the subject of religion spot on) and being moved to do some kind of google search on atheist arguments!  ;) 

Very recently turned Agnostic Athiest.   Discovering the God Is Imaginary website is the main reason why I changed my position from Agnostic to this.  I find the Athiest arguments against the existence  of gods much stronger/rooted in reality than all Theist arguments, out of all those I've come across so far.

I always think the main benefit of any argument is for the audience, who can see that theists just project their own personality onto their god, (This is known as SPAG, self projection about god.) and that theists project their intuition onto reality to create a false context for their god ( I call this SPAR, self projection about reality.).
Theists who come here to argue and preach are entrenched in their own little bubbles or worldviews and cannot understand other people or arguments outside of their worldview, so don't get frustrated if you make no impression on them. Just show the audience that theists are fooling themselves.

On your first point, I think what you say there makes a lot of sense.   I don’t know lots about how unconscious psychological projection works, but enough to appreciate where you’re coming from.   Sounds accurate enough to me!   

Also agreeing on all you said about believers being entrenched in their own little bubbles/worldviews.   That’s something that in recent years has been becoming increasingly clear to me too.   

Will be sure to bear your advice in mind and make use of it, thanks for that!  ;) 

Offline median

• Reader
  • Darwins +256/-16
  • Yahweh: Obviously not obvious.
    • Talk Origins
« Reply #727 on: Today at 10:31:53 AM »
I don't understand why life would be considered meaningless and amoral with no god.  I think the Golden Rule transcends religion.  Just treat others the way you want to be treated pretty much covers every dilemma.

As a former believer and apologist I can tell you with confidence that the notion that life is meaningless without god, and the belief that there can be no objective morality without god, stems from assumption that there must be some ultimate and final authority on basically every matter of life. The concept/doctrine is very top down and goes something like the following.

#1 - MORLITY
-A final authority is necessary in order for justice to be served and wrongs "righted"
-This final authority must, by definition, have the capacity and will of rendering perfect justice and/or mercy when necessary
-Without a final authority there can be no wrongs righted, in any ultimate or lasting sense
-Without a final authority man has no objective and/or "concrete" basis by which to base his/her moral decision making
-Thus, without a final authority (we call it "God") there is no basis for any objective morality to be rendered and all moral judgements are just preference

#2 - MEANING
-If life is not ultimately eternal, temporal actions do not have any real and/or ultimate meaning or significance
-If life is not ultimately eternal, then life can have no ultimate meaning (since it will eventually end and be forgotten)
-According to atheism life is not eternal
-Thus, under atheism life has no meaning, value, and/or significance and all actions are meaningless and/or irrelevant in the grand scheme of things
Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Carl Sagan

Online nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +1409/-9
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #728 on: Today at 12:22:33 PM »
^^^That is a very sad and limited way to look at life. What a waste of the few short years we have on earth. Don't try to improve anything.  Just endure whatever lot god hands you and hope for the heavenly reward. With that attitude, why not just get a sign that says, "Repent for the end is near" and stand on the street corner reading the bible to passersby? Why even go to school or get a job? What is the point?

And if someone really does think that way, why would they try to prevent crime or bring criminals to justice? God will get it sorted in the end. :?

So very Hindu.
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.