Author Topic: Afghan Koran 'burning': US apologises  (Read 1468 times)

Offline Azdgari

• Laureate
  • Darwins +270/-31
Re: Afghan Koran 'burning': US apologises
« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2012, 01:48:01 PM »
Spare the hot guys too. Some of us like guys as well as/or girls.

Luci, we both know that there are no gay men in Iran.  Their leaders have assured us of this.
The highest moral human authority is copied by our Gandhi neurons through observation.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +284/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #30 on: February 27, 2012, 01:50:28 PM »
Luci, we both know that there are no gay men in Iran.  Their leaders have assured us of this.

We can certainly fix that. I'm sure you've heard of the plan to turn most of the world into homosexuals. We (atheists) discussed it in our last world domination meeting.
EDIT: Besides, a guy doesn't have to be gay for me to enjoy how hot he is. ;)
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline Mr. Blackwell

• Fellow
  • Darwins +76/-23
« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2012, 01:55:07 PM »
I think I asked this once somewhere, but could you burn a virtual Koran. Suppose you had a website with a 3D/software generated Koran. Suppose further that it contained all the text of an actual Koran, so for all intents and purposes it's a functional Koran, and then had it in a simulated fire. Is that OK?

Well, since technology is EEEVILLE I would say that it would somehow make it worse.

We can certainly fix that. I'm sure you've heard of the plan to turn most of the world into homosexuals. We (atheists) discussed it in our last world domination meeting.

Isn't that Lady GaGa's assignment?
I show affection for my pets by holding them against me and whispering, "I love you" repeatedly as they struggle to break free.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2012, 02:11:42 PM »
Spare the hot guys too. Some of us like guys as well as/or girls.

I cannot imagine there are any hot guys in china.  They all appear to be completely asexual[1] to me.  And Indian men seem to be utterly without sex appeal.
 1. though, ironically, totally chauvinistic
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #33 on: February 27, 2012, 02:20:04 PM »
back on topic.  Good article by Juan Cole.
http://www.juancole.com/2012/02/quran-burning-protests-spread-santorum-calls-obama-weak-for-apoloizing.html

Two US military advisers to the Ministry of the Interior were shot dead on Saturday by an Afghan security man. It turns out, according to recovered security tapes, that they were watching footage of the protests and cursing out the protesters, then speaking badly of the Qur’an. The Afghan argued with them that they should be more respectful, and when the argument escalated, he drew on them and shot them both dead.

If this story is true, it distills the arrogance and bigotry of some US personnel in Afghanistan (they are in someone else’s country). They didn’t deserve to meet that end, but cursing the Qur’an in a Muslim country in front of a local Muslim is about the most foolhardy act I can imagine. The strong evangelical element in some parts of the US military makes it particularly unsuited to more or less running a largely illiterate Muslim nation that is deeply religious. Evangelicals are the American group that has the highest disapproval of Islam.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline jaimehlers

• Fellow
  • Darwins +559/-17
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: February 27, 2012, 02:31:48 PM »
I was indeed throwing joebbowers's logic back at him.  I was also making the point that the only thing worse than proposing something abhorrent is proposing something abhorrent without really thinking through the consequences.  My point was not that we should come up with an actionable plan for nuking any potential threat until it glows, but that proposing a plan of action (such as, oh, nuking the Middle East) without thinking it through all the way first is a large part of the reason why the world is as screwed up as it is.

I know it won't happen, I am simply saying I wish it would. If I had the power, and all the blame would rest with me personally, I would destroy the middle east. And China and India for that matter, and most of Asia, Africa, South America, Mexico, big parts of the US, and most of Europe. Mostly to rid the world of religion, or cultures that I consider to be broken and unfixable. Good thing I'm not God, right?

By the way, I live in China, and I hate these people, haha. This is where most people ask me why I stay. Yellow fever baby, yellow fever. White chicks don't do it for me like a fine Asian lass.
Thanks for letting us know.  Now I know that I never want you in any public office, even city dogcatcher.  The fact that you want to commit genocide (no matter how unlikely you think it is to actually happen), not because our way of life is threatened with annihilation, but because you think that blowing up large parts of the world is a good way to deal with things you find undesirable, is more than enough for me.

----

I can't say I'm surprised at that article.  Cussing out a holy book of some religion in front of a believer of that religion is like taunting a lion that's within easy reach of you.  Push it too far, and someone else gets to clean up the mess.

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #35 on: February 28, 2012, 06:40:29 AM »
/shrug
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +662/-28
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #36 on: February 28, 2012, 09:59:43 AM »
The fact that you want to commit genocide (no matter how unlikely you think it is to actually happen), not because our way of life is threatened with annihilation, but because you think that blowing up large parts of the world is a good way to deal with things you find undesirable, is more than enough for me.

Think of it like evolution: natural selection, sexual selection, joebbowers selection. 

I kind of think that is the only way magical thinking is going to ever be stopped.  There is currently no selective pressure that favors rationality over religion.  It appears to be the opposite.

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #37 on: March 02, 2012, 01:21:24 AM »
I think a big reason that religion persists is because our intelligence is advanced enough to understand that there should be reasons for things, but not advanced enough to know what those reasons are.

There will always be questions we can't answer. The important thing to do is make sure that when those questions are asked, "God did it" is not an acceptable filler.
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT