Author Topic: Jessica Alquist in the News  (Read 411 times)

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +258/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
Jessica Alquist in the News
« on: February 21, 2012, 01:51:32 PM »
http://now.msn.com/now/0220-teen-atheist-scholarship.aspx

Now it is a very light read, but the comments from Christians, whew. There were a few strident Christian hating atheists, and a few tolerant Christians who understood the concept of the seperation of church and state.

However the majority of example of Christians I just want to drill these facts into their heads:

1)Cap lock does not mean more right

2)Read What the expression "The Tryanny of the Majority" means and why the Founding fathers tried to avoid it.

3)The US was not founded on Christian priciples, it was founded on Enlightment principles...read a fucking book!

4)If you think that this was a suppression of free speech and unconstitution I'm going to have your Children read a Wiccan Prayer each more for the 13 years they are school and see how YOU feel about it.

5)Science, as a disipline was created by humans, just like religion, language, art, and toliet paper

6)She was helped out by the ACLU because the school was using their legal resources to continue their unconstitutional position.

7)Disservice her anyway you can legally? What you are talking about is harrassment. That, by definition, is illegal.

8)Not allowing a institutional support of a religious statement is not "banning prayer" Stop lying.

9)Not being allowed to do whatever the fuck you want roughshod over minority isn't the same as "being thrown to the lions" Stop Lying.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
Re: Jessica Alquist in the News
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2012, 01:55:33 PM »
The religious have confused "Persecution" with "Not getting their way".

Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2012, 02:01:40 PM »
Dante, you are sooooo right.   It is a shame because there *are* people beign persecuted for their religion, but not here in the US when such pathetic cowards are whining about having their prayer banner removed.   I'm guessing that they'll never replace it with one without the religious words on it because that would be admiting that people other than Christians are just as good. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +185/-8
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2012, 02:18:08 PM »
It is really sad.  In a short period of time kids will be running in the halls, chewing gum, and not doing their homework.  I would not be surprised to see cheating creeping into the district at any moment.  Maybe the school can sneak the prayer onto the grade cards or textbook covers.  Where is the rage among the presidential candidates?  Where is Pat Robertson?  Not sure where this school is but there was a earthquake this morning in Missouri (4.0) that was felt in several other states.  Don't f*ck with my God. ;)
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 02:48:20 PM »
^^^^^ indeed, where is that idiot Robertson and his claims that something horrible will happen to any place and anyone who disagrees with his nonsense.

Dover, PA is doing fine. 
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Brakeman

• Reader
  • Darwins +47/-3
« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2012, 08:14:13 PM »
^^^^^ indeed, where is that idiot Robertson and his claims that something horrible will happen to any place and anyone who disagrees with his nonsense.

Dover, PA is doing fine.

No it's not! God got so pissed at Dover he sent his mighty angel army to smite all of the atheists there, but the lead angel got hit by a bus made of Iron while trying to cross the street, so god's army retreated back to heaven, to smite another day.
Help find the cure for FUNDAMENTIA !

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +79/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 10:46:30 PM »
The religious have confused "Persecution" with "Not getting their way".

Precisely. The Christians in the US have had their privileged position for so long that even the more thoughtful moderates have a hard time recognizing it. And the fundies are going literally nuts as they lose court case after court case and atheists get more and more visible.

The religious are waking up to what "equal treatment under the law" really means; it is not what they expected. Ahlquist's victory is just the latest example.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 10:48:05 PM by wright »
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline thunderridge

• Graduate
  • Darwins +16/-0
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 11:47:59 PM »
The banning prayer thing always bugged me. Xians can pray all they want in public school.  They just can't do it over the PA system or whatever.  But they can pray before a test or whatever.  You get what I'm saying?

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2012, 08:38:05 AM »
I know here in Dayton in 1913 GAWD tried his best to smite us with a HUGE flood and almost won out, but luckily for Dayonians SATAN interviened (sp) with his science shit and influenced area leaders to build not one, but five, count em, 5 dams upstream from town and thats why we have these damned dams to this day. :angel:
It's also as a child the only real cussin my mom let us say was the following: Hey dam man, how bout some damned water from your damned dam.
« Last Edit: February 22, 2012, 08:45:14 AM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline joebbowers

• Reader
  • Darwins +91/-47
    • My Photography
  • User is on moderator watch listWatched
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2012, 11:26:49 AM »
I know here in Dayton in 1913 GAWD tried his best to smite us with a HUGE flood and almost won out, but luckily for Dayonians SATAN interviened (sp) with his science shit and influenced area leaders to build not one, but five, count em, 5 dams upstream from town and thats why we have these damned dams to this day. :angel:
It's also as a child the only real cussin my mom let us say was the following: Hey dam man, how bout some damned water from your damned dam.

If Jean-Claude Van Damme designed dams, and you were discussing his dams in a heated debate, you might find yourself referring to those "damned Damme dams".
"Do you see a problem with insisting that the normal ways in which you determine fact from fiction is something you have to turn off in order to maintain the belief in God?" - JeffPT