Poll

Atheists: What is your gender?

Female
9 (19.6%)
Male
37 (80.4%)

Total Members Voted: 46

Author Topic: Atheists: What is your gender?  (Read 1746 times)

Offline rickymooston

Atheists: What is your gender?
« on: February 19, 2012, 09:25:34 AM »

Are atheist males repelling chicks?

"i had learn to focus i what i could do rather what i couldn't do", Rick Hansen when asked about getting a disabling spinal cord injury at 15. He continues to raise money for spinal cord research and inspire peoople to "make a difference". He doesnt preach any religion.

Offline Nick

• Laureate
  • Darwins +189/-8
Re: Atheists: What is your gender?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2012, 09:45:11 AM »
Damn, I know we are the scum of the Earth but women don't like us also.  That's it.  I have to convert.  Now...which one???  Maybe those people who handle snakes in church.  Or that church in Fl where the pastor's daughter got shot in the head while in church...I guess they have an opening.
Yo, put that in your pipe and smoke it.  Quit ragging on my Lord.

Tide goes in, tide goes out !!!

Offline Ambassador Pony

• You keep what you kill.
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +71/-4
  • illuminatus
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2012, 09:47:52 AM »
If a person rejects a rational position based on the gender and attitude of the majority of its proponents, then they ain't deciding rationally.

I don't see women as being like that. I see them as fellow human beings, who, like any other of our species, are better off making a greater number of rational decisions, based in evidence.
You believe evolution and there is no evidence for that. Where is the fossil record of a half man half ape. I've only ever heard about it in reading.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2012, 10:06:54 AM »
I'm get'n old, my teeth are mostly missing, my hair is turning gray, I use  cane to get about and my ass looks like wet cement splattered on a manequin, but other than those minor flaws I could, in theory be named by People mag as the sexiest man alive...assuming every other man was currently dead.

Vote for me for sexiest man alive..or burn in hell forever and then ever. Oh wait..my sexuality wasn't on the ballot...nevermind.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2012, 10:13:50 AM by atheola »
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Frank

• Reader
  • Darwins +38/-20
  • You're doin' my head in!!
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2012, 10:38:29 AM »
Maybe they prefer some fundie male who won't use a condom, gets them pregnant, insist they don't abort it, and disappears the moment it's born.
"Atheism is not a mission to convert the world. It only seems that way because when other religions fall away, atheism is what is left behind".

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +28/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2012, 11:51:06 AM »
Then do the Christian thing and starve the kid so it suffers for Jesus. :angel:
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-1
« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2012, 08:49:43 AM »
I'm female...can't say the guy in the video does anything for me, though. Besides, I'm married.

Online Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +89/-2
« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2012, 09:09:21 AM »
wow! this is worrisome!
If the Atheism movement runs out of women ... where will we get the babies to eat at our secret gatherings?!
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2012, 09:37:46 AM »
There are a couple of issues here.

Atheist women, such as my wife, are feminists first. So they keep in touch with liberal theists. So they never come out of the closet.

Second, as soccer moms, they even have to deal with theists. All the moms are on a saving mission of some sort. We are saving our kids from marrying creationists.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2012, 09:56:16 AM »
Well, the guy dropped a lot of f-bombs which turns me off, as does calling us girls. That aside, he's got some very good points. There are times when I find the atheist boards annoying as hell. Rude comments about our anatomy. Crude sex talk. Etc. It's a turn off, and it does create an atmosphere that I find un-welcoming of me as a woman. I do deserve respect, and many of you atheist guys are smart, funny, and respectful. And sometimes you're not. We are watching and listening. And sometimes you do drive us away. This is not a boy's locker room. That said, this is also a free world. Say what you want, but accept the consequences of your actions.

And I just have to say this. I have NO clue whatsoever why women would support, much less believe in, the patriarchal Abrahamic religions. When I see stats about how women are more likely to go to church or read the bible I just cringe inside. And, yes, as the man in the video said, I AM a feminist and a humanist and it drives me STARKERs that more women aren't non religious. I just got back from a four day quiltmaker's retreat. All women. And there was just enough religious talk that I felt very out of place. And I realized that it's one group where I'm not out as an atheist. It's driving me crazy. I have plans to attend a local atheist meetup group for the first time. It will be interesting to see what they're like in person. There is at least one other woman who attends, by the way.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +18/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2012, 11:30:03 AM »
Time to srart one of them secular humanist quilts, then!

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2012, 11:36:19 AM »
<snip>
Rude comments about our anatomy. Crude sex talk. Etc.
<snip>

It's just guys (and sometimes girls as well) trying to make each other laugh. It's not meant to be offensive. I don't understand why you see it that way.

Also, depending on what you mean by "rude comments", guys might even make such comments referring to their own anatomy.

In addition, you should be aware that my male homosexual/bisexual friends[1], female heterosexual/bisexual friends and I make such comments[2] about male anatomy as well. Like I said, it's not meant to be offensive.
 1. Sometimes heterosexual as well.
 2. Assuming that my understanding of rude is the one you meant.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:42:17 AM by Lucifer »
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One/Orion.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 01:44:42 PM »
I'm a woman and I'm an atheist.  I'm not much of a feminist, but a humanist.  I find theists to be ridiculous, "liberal" or not.  Some of the biggest asses I've met are feminist "pagans". 

all women aren't moms, either.  :P 

Sometimes things get a little stupid about women on just about any forum, and I just make fun of the idiots who are guilty.  I've seen it here and no it wasn't generally funny, it was like watching one more bad sitcom.  It usually starts "why do women always....." and ends with someone being smacked on the nose for their idiotic generalizations.  Your wife/girfriend/sister may be an idiot but not all of us are.   

This guy on the video seems to think he's all that.  Ahem, not to me.  I'm not a gal, I'm not to be viewed as prey and it isn't "nerds" who drive women away.  It's idiots who think all of the above and more (I've spent a very long time in the nerdosphere by dint of me liking Star Trek, comic books, science fiction, science, RPGs, etc).  Bathe, treat me as an equal, don't excuse your actions by claiming that your maleness is ever-so "strong" and you can't control it, and don't think that you know what I need to do more than me.  "We need you to take your leadership positions...." No shit, sherlock but way to go to make it seem like you think you need to tell our pretty little heads this. Poor women don't know a thing until a man tells them &)

Women do tend to be theists.  IMO, I think it's the cultural delusion that women have to "belong" to a group that they've bought into, rather like how I've personally noted that a *lot* of women seem to have to go to the bathroom in multiples (and I don't kow what's up with *that* either).   

and FYI, Trav's quilts are awesome!
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 01:59:24 PM »
Tell me, velkyn, what is a "nerd"? I've heard that word tossed around a lot, most of the time as an insult, but I've yet to hear someone define what a "nerd" is. Mostly they use stereotypes, akin to the way some people say "Why do all women _____". Curious, isn't it?
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 02:23:39 PM »
<snip>
Rude comments about our anatomy. Crude sex talk. Etc.
<snip>

It's just guys (and sometimes girls as well) trying to make each other laugh. It's not meant to be offensive. I don't understand why you see it that way.

Also, depending on what you mean by "rude comments", guys might even make such comments referring to their own anatomy.

In addition, you should be aware that my male homosexual/bisexual friends[1], female heterosexual/bisexual friends and I make such comments[2] about male anatomy as well. Like I said, it's not meant to be offensive.
 1. Sometimes heterosexual as well.
 2. Assuming that my understanding of rude is the one you meant.

I don't know how old any of you are, but we've fought damn hard to gain as much equality as we have. And still we're denigrated as sexual objects. It's a great way to keep women "in their place." Dismiss us as virgins or whores, call us child-like names, act as if we're just there for your amusement. Yes, it's offensive. And no, it is not funny.

Of course there is humor out there about men and women that's actually funny. But think about how you'd feel if society as a whole believed whatever you were telling. And if it makes you feel small, or less than men, or discourages you from speaking out, then it's offensive. Women, for a very long time, kept quiet because they were supposed to. Seen and not heard, like children. If we were outspoken we were shrews, or bitches, or worse. Insulting a group of people is a great way to keep them down, to keep them limited, and to keep them from attaining their full power.

And if anyone calls my statements politically correct, as some of you are probably thinking, think about this. The best way to shut people up (short of killing them I suppose) is to find a way to make them sound silly. And so the phrase "politically correct" starts getting tossed around whenever anyone talks about feminism or gay rights or abortion or whatever. Slighting a cause in order to shut people up about it. Someone says something they care passionately about, and someone says something about political correctness, implying that it's a trivial matter and that people should shut up about it.
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 02:37:08 PM »
Well, the guy dropped a lot of f-bombs which turns me off, as does calling us girls. That aside, he's got some very good points. There are times when I find the atheist boards annoying as hell. Rude comments about our anatomy. Crude sex talk. Etc. It's a turn off, and it does create an atmosphere that I find un-welcoming of me as a woman. I do deserve respect, and many of you atheist guys are smart, funny, and respectful. And sometimes you're not. We are watching and listening. And sometimes you do drive us away. This is not a boy's locker room. That said, this is also a free world. Say what you want, but accept the consequences of your actions.

Do you have any particular posts you could show that highlight your point?
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 02:44:47 PM »
I don't know how old any of you are, but we've fought damn hard to gain as much equality as we have.

No argument here.

And still we're denigrated as sexual objects.

By retards, although it's possible that some women misunderstand or misinterpret comments made by men (or other women, as the case may be).
For example, if I say that a woman is attractive, I'm just saying she's attractive. I'm not saying she should have sex with me or anyone else, and I'm most certainly not saying that that's all she is.

Dismiss us as virgins or whores,

Like I said above, I've only seen retards do this. Women can have sex if they want to. It's not a crime. They're only labeled as whores if they try to have sex 24/7 with anyone or anything they can. And yes, when guys do this it's just as repulsive.

call us child-like names,

Can you give an example?

act as if we're just there for your amusement.

Can you give an example?

But think about how you'd feel if society as a whole believed whatever you were telling.

Already happens, although "society as a whole" seems exaggerated. It seems exaggerated for your situation as well. Like I said above, only idiots believe in and/or create stereotypes.

Someone says something they care passionately about, and someone says something about political correctness, implying that it's a trivial matter and that people should shut up about it.

Whenever I hear that term being used, I think "idiot". Political correctness is BS. It's sugarcoating reality, so that people don't have to face it.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 02:51:37 PM »
Tell me, velkyn, what is a "nerd"? I've heard that word tossed around a lot, most of the time as an insult, but I've yet to hear someone define what a "nerd" is. Mostly they use stereotypes, akin to the way some people say "Why do all women _____". Curious, isn't it?

I'm a nerd.  I like science fiction, fantasy, aka many things outside the mainstream often intellectual.  Quite descriptive isn't it?  Just like atheist, humanist, etc, it can be used as an insult or not.

nerdWiki  wiki is prtty good at the defintion
Nerd is a derogatory slang term for an intellectual but socially-impaired, perhaps obsessive person who spends inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or highly technical pursuits, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 02:58:36 PM »
I'm a nerd.  I like science fiction, fantasy, aka many things outside the mainstream often intellectual.  Quite descriptive isn't it?

And self-contradicting. Nearly every human likes science fiction and fantasy[1]. The "mainstream", being defined as "that which most people do" (more or less), would mean that the nerds are the ones who don't like science fiction and fantasy. Ergo, stereotypical behaviour is the basis for the term.

Nerd is a derogatory slang term for an intellectual but socially-impaired, perhaps obsessive person who spends inordinate amounts of time on unpopular, obscure, or highly technical pursuits, or relating to topics of fiction or fantasy, to the exclusion of more mainstream activities

So anyone with a brain is a nerd? That would make more sense. A very large percentage of the world population seems to be composed of idiots.
 1. Both are used in every videogame in existence. And I dare you to find many people who don't like videogames.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 03:01:21 PM »
I'm a nerd.  I like science fiction, fantasy, aka many things outside the mainstream often intellectual.  Quite descriptive isn't it?

And self-contradicting. Nearly every human likes science fiction and fantasy[1]. The "mainstream", being defined as "that which most people do" (more or less) would mean that the nerds are the ones who don't like science fiction and fantasy. Ergo, stereotypical behaviour is the basis for the term.
 1. Both are used in every videogame in existence. And I dare you to find many people who don't like videogames.
Not at all unless you want to ignore my experiences.  Thanks for forgetting that things weren't always the same as you experience now.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 03:07:42 PM »
Thanks for forgetting that things weren't always the same as you experience now.

And yet isn't "now" what matters when speaking of "mainstream" things? By that logic, fully white clothing is still mainstream because it was mainstream about 90 years ago.
We choose our own gods.

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 03:21:56 PM »
Thanks for forgetting that things weren't always the same as you experience now.

And yet isn't "now" what matters when speaking of "mainstream" things? By that logic, fully white clothing is still mainstream because it was mainstream about 90 years ago.

Not when talking about how the idea of nerds got started and how many people play video games compared to those who watch and play sports?    Your claims that "nearly everyone" likes science fiction, seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking.  Are there more than when I was young, yes, is it considered "cool", not so much except in very small circles. 

never mind lucifer, I know you'll never agree on this.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 03:24:50 PM »
Damn, I know we are the scum of the Earth but women don't like us also.  That's it.  I have to convert.  Now...which one???  Maybe those people who handle snakes in church.  Or that church in Fl where the pastor's daughter got shot in the head while in church...I guess they have an opening.

Raeilians.

Hubba hubba.

E.

'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 03:27:07 PM »
Not when talking about how the idea of nerds got started

The topic was "What the term 'nerd' means (now)", not "What the term 'nerd' meant (before)".

and how many people play video games compared to those who watch and play sports?

One can do both. That's one of the reasons why I think that the term "nerd" is a meaningless label based on stereotyping and "if you're not with us you're against us" thinking.

Your claims that "nearly everyone" likes science fiction, seems to be nothing more than wishful thinking.

I explained that science fiction and fantasy are the basis for every videogame in existence. That's not wishful thinking. That's a fact.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 03:28:38 PM by Lucifer »
We choose our own gods.

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #24 on: February 21, 2012, 03:48:55 PM »
Maybe they prefer some fundie male who won't use a condom, gets them pregnant, insist they don't abort it, and disappears the moment it's born.

You don’t know just how true this is in the Bible Belt. Where I work and in many places where I live, there is a pretty scary high number of single mothers here. Pretty much, the reason so is exactly what you said, since this is the Bible Belt. They have all told me their stories of getting away from abusive relationships, or they outright abandon them the second their children are born.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-9
« Reply #25 on: February 21, 2012, 03:49:45 PM »

I explained that science fiction and fantasy are the basis for every videogame in existence. That's not wishful thinking. That's a fact.

Madden 2012 is science fiction or fantasy? I think you and velks are using fantasy in slightly different usages here. She's talking about nerd-type fantasy, i.e.; dragons, warlocks, etc...think Lord of the Rings.

"Nerd" is one of those words that's not entirely defineable. It's mostly used in a derogatory context describing someone who's a little/lot more "brainy" than the average, and with limited social skills. Nerds tend to be seen as one who doesn't branch out into different and uncomfortable social arenas. Not that it's true.

However, one can be a self-described "nerd" in almost any endevour, realizing that they are nerds in that they have an inordinate amount of knowledge and expertise in trivial matters, or fields in which they weren't formally educated, like comic books, or music genres, or any host of other things. There are automotive nerds, space exploration nerds, computer programming nerds, gaming nerds, etc.

It's not all derogatory, it's just a quick, if vague, identifier.
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #26 on: February 21, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
She's talking about nerd-type fantasy, i.e.; dragons, warlocks, etc...think Lord of the Rings.

Once again, stereotypical and derogatory. "It's fantasy, but it's not MY type of fantasy. It's the type of fantasy that you like."
Sounds like theists claiming that every religion is flawed except their own.
We choose our own gods.

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +74/-9
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 04:07:36 PM »
She's talking about nerd-type fantasy, i.e.; dragons, warlocks, etc...think Lord of the Rings.

Once again, stereotypical and derogatory. "It's fantasy, but it's not MY type of fantasy. It's the type of fantasy that you like."

Huh? Uh, no. My apologies for being unclear.

In the US, when talking about science fiction and fantasy together, it's a specific type of "fantasy". Like I said, Lord of the Rings, Conan the Barbarian, et al. There's usually magic and swordplay involved, and the setting isn't historical earth.  It's a genre.

And although fantastic, it does not include stories like Sherlock Holmes or James Bond.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +293/-37
« Reply #28 on: February 21, 2012, 04:11:53 PM »
In the US, when talking about science fiction and fantasy together, it's a specific type of "fantasy".

"It's fantasy, but it's not MY type of fantasy. It's the type of fantasy that you like."
We choose our own gods.