Author Topic: Favourite Bands / Music Genres  (Read 1151 times)

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
Re: Favourite Bands / Music Genres
« Reply #29 on: February 22, 2012, 09:51:29 AM »
I forgot Radiohead.  I love Radiohead.
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline atheola

• Reader
  • Darwins +22/-4
  • Hospitals suck past an hour.
« Reply #30 on: February 22, 2012, 09:56:21 AM »
Blues, funky old soul, old jazz, etc.. as far as hiphop I'd rather listen to someone fart in the bathroom stall next to me then the melodramatic sounds of them struggling to pull their pants up.  :P
You better believe it's not butter or you'll burn in hell forever and EVER!
Get on your knees right now and thank GOD for not being real!

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #31 on: February 22, 2012, 03:27:59 PM »
My favorite genre would have to be soul/R&B.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #32 on: February 22, 2012, 11:38:17 PM »
Please oh please tell me this is an intentional pun referring to the original album cover!

: )  That rocks - totally unintentional pun there.
.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2012, 03:15:13 AM »
I forgot Radiohead.  I love Radiohead.

yeah mate ............well I forgot Roy Buchanan (and whomever else I've forgotten) ;)

EDIT  just remembered asian dub foundation

....and british beat (whom I always knew here in Oz as the beat)
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 03:20:04 AM by kin hell »
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2012, 09:09:11 AM »
Timo,

Decent list. I personally would scratch ya buddy Nas off the list though, I just never got into him like that. Although I can admit that he is easily the greatest story teller in hip hop history. No one is more vivid and detail oriented when it comes to that.

Also, I love Digable Planets. That jazz sound is just so smooth.  Not to many people up on Blu, he's probably my 2nd favorite "new" artist with Lupe (whom you didnt list) being my new favorite. There just isnt anyone that writes quite like Wasalu in all of music I'd assume since hip hop is a more lyrics based genre. You also left out Andre 3000, man's a genius. And of coarse the GOAT Pac, and Jay Z. I tend to stay clear of the ignorant non-sense that is forced on us by the main stream media although sometimes I need over the top ignorance like Cam'ron or The Clipse to get me through the day.

When I do venture outside of "urban" music lol, its usually Phil Collins, John Mayer, I fux with Adam Levine vocals, I recently discovered that theres some Nickleback that I like.
« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 09:15:27 AM by The Gawd »

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2012, 09:16:01 AM »
I was asked on FB to list the 15 albums I found most influential, so I thought I'd share my response here:

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
4. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
8. Led Zeppelin - 4 &
9. AC/DC - Back In Black
10. The Clash - London Calling

I rather like those choices...good taste.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Online screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +552/-22
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #36 on: February 23, 2012, 10:12:55 AM »
The Pretenders.  I came to them late in life. 
goddamn, Chrissie Hynde can write:
"Nothing you confess, Could make me love you less..."

and the greatest ad-lib ever:
"Purrrrrrrrnyeer!"
-Middle of the Road
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2012, 10:35:08 AM »
I like(not that anyone cares):

Frank Sinatra
Sisters of Mercy
Martin Denny
Kraftwork
The Cure
Juan Equivel
Oingo Boingo
Dead Kennedys
Art of Noise
Tricky
Rush
Ego Likeness
Cherry Poppin Daddies
Bill Monroe and the Bluegrass boys
Lady Gaga
Dead can Dance
Enrico Caruso
Delerium
Bjork
Royal Crown Review
Cibo Matto
AC/DC
Bauhaus
Laibach
Moby
Morphine
Crack the Sky
Corpus Delecti
Daft Punk
Danny Elfman
Dean Martin
Chuck Berry
Ray Charles
Devo
Nine inch Nails
Rob Zombie
Johnnie Cash

An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #38 on: February 24, 2012, 12:11:42 PM »
I Like:

Soul: Sam Cooke, Teddy Pendergrass, Johnnie Taylor

Rhythm & Blues: Mariah Carey, Brian McKnight, Robert Kelly

Others: John Mayer, Johnnie Cash, Tupac, Jay-Z, OutKast, UGK, Prince

How could I have forgotten Linkin Park
« Last Edit: February 24, 2012, 12:36:11 PM by Truth OT »

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2012, 05:41:44 PM »

>snip<

Great list Hatter   given that I am so simpatico with so much of that list, I will have to track down and listen to those on it that I don't know

I hope the music of cherry popping daddies is better than the name  ;)
"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2012, 12:22:19 AM »

>snip<

Great list Hatter   given that I am so simpatico with so much of that list, I will have to track down and listen to those on it that I don't know

I hope the music of cherry popping daddies is better than the name  ;)
Cherry Popping Daddies are in the same vein as the Royal Crown Review...except the vocals are a bit more forward in the mix and isn't nearly as polished but does have a bit more raw energy.

Given the eclectic nature of the list...I'm a bit surprised. Thanks.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2012, 04:02:35 AM »

Given the eclectic nature of the list...I'm a bit surprised. Thanks.

.........not really that surprising mate,   :)           

check out the list back here

snip
« Last Edit: February 25, 2012, 04:04:45 AM by kin hell »

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-0
  • oyeme
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2012, 03:31:47 PM »
Quesi, I think you're probably cooler, hipper and more with it than I am.

Anyway, non-rap nerds, the rest of this post is not for you.  Peace

Decent list. I personally would scratch ya buddy Nas off the list though, I just never got into him like that. Although I can admit that he is easily the greatest story teller in hip hop history. No one is more vivid and detail oriented when it comes to that.

Nah, I'd probably put Ghostface before Nas as a story teller as far as that generation of rappers goes.  Both are great at really painting a picture, but Ghost's stories are usually more visceral and in the moment.  Like on Shaky Dog, "these fucking maricons on the couch watching Sanford and Son/ Passing they rum, fried plantains and rice/ Big round onions on the t-bone steak, my stomach growling yo, I want some" or better yet his intonation when he says "I'm on the floor like, holy shit."  I love Ghost's stories, pointless tangents and all.  I also love that Ghost tends to be realer about things than a lot of rappers.  Like on "Walk Around" he deals with the reprecussions of actually taking someone's life in a way that other rappers probably wouldn't bother to.  "He floored it, past 90 on the BQE/ I threw up all on his doors, spashed his Gucci seats/ I couldn't speak, I'm in a state of shock"  Even the little bit of chest thumping at the end ("I'll never eat up out a garbage can/ I'll Larry Davis a cop") seems to come out of a genuine sense of being backed into a corner.

But really though, I just can't even comprehend being a fan of hip-hop and not getting into Nas.  I'd go as far as saying Nas might be the most gifted and talented cat to ever do it.  That's not the same thing as saying he always makes the best music, since he is, if nothing else, inconsistant as an artist.  But when he's at his best, I don't think there's anyone better.  (See: "Deja Vu", "Street Dreams", "2nd Childhood", etc)  But yo, let me just leave it there, since I don't want to go too deep into my opinions on Nas.  The long and short of it is this:I love Nas' music and will always check for him.  And I think that on "Nasty" he demonstrates that this is the correct position for a fan of hip-hop.   

In any case, my first list wasn't really so much about who is important to the genre or who is the best in the genre, but was more about who was important to me in my musically formative years.  And albums like Illmatic, It Was Written and to a lesser extent I Am (mostly just for "Nas Is Like") were really important to me.

Not to many people up on Blu, he's probably my 2nd favorite "new" artist with Lupe (whom you didnt list) being my new favorite. There just isnt anyone that writes quite like Wasalu in all of music I'd assume since hip hop is a more lyrics based genre. You also left out Andre 3000.

Those weren't oversights.

I think Andre's a genius too.  But I'm not really checking for him like that right now.  I'm more of an album/mixtape guy.  So I mean, it's nice to hear him do a guest spot every now and then, but as far as I can tell, there's no project for me to look forward to.  Or put another way, I don't want to have to cop a Drake track to hear Andre.  You know?  And anyway, at this point, I'm a lot more interested in what Big Boi's doing.

As far as Lupe goes, honestly, I don't find him interesting as a rapper.  I don't think he's bad.  I'm just not a fan.

And of coarse the GOAT Pac, and Jay Z

I think that one of my most unforgivable hip-hop herecies, especially as a dude from Cali, is that as much as I like Pac, I really wouldn't put him anywhere near that top spot if I'm trying to make one of those GOAT lists and I'm being honest.  I wouldn't list him as my top West Coast rapper (Boots Riley) or even my top Bay Area rapper (Boots Riley).

As far as who's the actual GOAT, that's a hard one for me.  I'm tempted to give that title to cats from that mid to late 80s class, cats like Rakim, G Rap, KRS or better yet, Kool Keith because I think that they were pivitol in advancing rap in a way that's important--even if they fell off or came to be overshadowed by their followers.  But I think that's more to do with some kind of feeling of reverence for the older generation.  I mean you can give that same sort of credit to cats like Pac, Nas, Big and Jay.  You can actually see the progress in their old demos.  In "I'm a Villain" for example, Nas kicks a lot of lyrics that wound up on Illmatic but the flow he's working with is so clearly in line with what everyone else was doing in the early 90s.  By the time Illmatic comes around, however, the flow is distinctly Nas.  Or going backwards, you could give that same kind of credit to cats like T La Rock or LL for moving forward from what Cold Crush and them were doing.  Or going even further you could go back to cats like Caz and Kool Moe Dee for being the fathers of all this.

So for me, it's a tough call.  Right now I might say KRS just because in listening to his newest album it's hard not to be amazed by the fact that dude's been doing this for about as long as I've been alive.  Even though he has a lot of material, especially material from the early 2000s that I'd prefer to forget, his run from about 86 to 97 was pretty damn impressive.

As for Jay, I think I'm done with that dude.  He's still nice and all that, he's made some great albums but I'm tired of his brand of rap.  Honestly, I just couldn't fuck with Watch the Throne.

I tend to stay clear of the ignorant non-sense that is forced on us by the main stream media although sometimes I need over the top ignorance like Cam'ron or The Clipse to get me through the day.

Co-sign.  I'm particularly fond of Hell Hath No Fury.  They're so fucking amoral on that shit.  "The family close knit and deep like the Hutus, you cockroaches."  That shit is downright sinister.  They're also quite possibly the most sarcastic rap group ever.  Like on Ego, "Please, don't move too fast/ I'm scared of y'all niggas and my nerves is bad/ So sad but I won't think twice/ We rich, we get the best judicial advice."

Over the top ignorance aside, I do love the Clipse for occasionally having a heart, like on "I'm Not You" where Malice says "...it shames me to no end/ to feed poison to those who could very well by my kin/ But where there's demand, someone will supply/ So I feed their needs at the same time cry/ Yes it pains me to see them need this/ All of them lost souls and I'm their Jesus/ Deepest regret and sympathy to the streets/ I seen them pay for they fix when they kids couldn't eat/ And with this in mind, I still didn't quit/ And that's how I know that I ain't shit/ My heart bleed but that's aside from the fact I live for my kids and theirs, and them young'ns after that."

So yeah....

Peace
pero ya tu sabes...

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #43 on: February 25, 2012, 11:02:59 PM »

snip

????? Did you snip your own list?

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
« Reply #44 on: February 25, 2012, 11:17:47 PM »

snip

????? Did you snip your own list?

yes     for page space

but you can still get there by clicking the blue  "Quote from........."

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2012, 04:57:20 PM »

Nah, I'd probably put Ghostface before Nas as a story teller as far as that generation of rappers goes.  Both are great at really painting a picture, but Ghost's stories are usually more visceral and in the moment. 

Ghost, yeah, I feel ghost but more because I feel he's relatable. And I did overlook him on the story tellin, he's on the level of nas' in that area. And between him, Meth, and when KP was a member those are the only Wu Tang members I messed with.

But really though, I just can't even comprehend being a fan of hip-hop and not getting into Nas.  I'd go as far as saying Nas might be the most gifted and talented cat to ever do it.  That's not the same thing as saying he always makes the best music, since he is, if nothing else, inconsistant as an artist.  But when he's at his best, I don't think there's anyone better.  (See: "Deja Vu", "Street Dreams", "2nd Childhood", etc)
There are some tracks that I check for with nas: "2nd Childhood" being one of my favorites. IWW was a dope album so I mess with most of it. "Undying Love" "My Book of Rhymes." I just dont find him consistantly inspiring.

I think Andre's a genius too.  But I'm not really checking for him like that right now.  I'm more of an album/mixtape guy.  So I mean, it's nice to hear him do a guest spot every now and then, but as far as I can tell, there's no project for me to look forward to.  Or put another way, I don't want to have to cop a Drake track to hear Andre.  You know?  And anyway, at this point, I'm a lot more interested in what Big Boi's doing.
I feel you on that, but when I stumble upon a 3 Thou verse by accident (Drake & Lil Wayne albums) its like when you find money in ya dirty cloths pants pocket. That shit is sweet. But that Lucious Left Foot was dope, wish more people took notice.

As far as Lupe goes, honestly, I don't find him interesting as a rapper.  I don't think he's bad.  I'm just not a fan.
This feeling must be how you felt when I talked about Nas. I think Lu is technically probably the most complete emcee that Ive heard. I just dont think there's anything he cant do. Now, obviously he was able to listen and grow off of all the greats but thats how the genre is. When I heard him basically do BIG's style, then turn around and start twistin, then jump into his own lane and be so lyrically dense it was a wrap for me. From subject matter to technique from nerd shit to streets... its all there.

I think that one of my most unforgivable hip-hop herecies, especially as a dude from Cali, is that as much as I like Pac, I really wouldn't put him anywhere near that top spot if I'm trying to make one of those GOAT lists and I'm being honest.  I wouldn't list him as my top West Coast rapper (Boots Riley) or even my top Bay Area rapper (Boots Riley).
But as you know, Pac isnt one of those guys where you can sit down and study lyrics. If he doesnt move you theres no argument to be made for him. All I know is I can put on his last 3 albums (MATW, AEOM, 7DT) and zone out with a drank and be a-okay.

As far as who's the actual GOAT, that's a hard one for me.  I'm tempted to give that title to cats from that mid to late 80s class, cats like Rakim, G Rap, KRS or better yet, Kool Keith because I think that they were pivitol in advancing rap in a way that's important--even if they fell off or came to be overshadowed by their followers.  But I think that's more to do with some kind of feeling of reverence for the older generation.  I mean you can give that same sort of credit to cats like Pac, Nas, Big and Jay.  You can actually see the progress in their old demos.  In "I'm a Villain" for example, Nas kicks a lot of lyrics that wound up on Illmatic but the flow he's working with is so clearly in line with what everyone else was doing in the early 90s.  By the time Illmatic comes around, however, the flow is distinctly Nas.  Or going backwards, you could give that same kind of credit to cats like T La Rock or LL for moving forward from what Cold Crush and them were doing.  Or going even further you could go back to cats like Caz and Kool Moe Dee for being the fathers of all this.
and this is why I give it to Pac. Because if I use criteria like advancing the genre then I can go so many ways. If I use criteria like straight lyrics it could be so many people. But Pac separated himself, I think, in how his music touched people. Son has a cult following because of it.

As for Jay, I think I'm done with that dude.  He's still nice and all that, he's made some great albums but I'm tired of his brand of rap.  Honestly, I just couldn't fuck with Watch the Throne.
I prefer lyrical Jay. Pop Jay I can do without. But Reasonable Doubt, or on certain tracks he still shows he has that ability. I couldnt mess with that WTT because of Kanye. Im done with dude. Even my Chitown bias wont allow it.

Co-sign.  I'm particularly fond of Hell Hath No Fury.  They're so fucking amoral on that shit.  "The family close knit and deep like the Hutus, you cockroaches."  That shit is downright sinister.  They're also quite possibly the most sarcastic rap group ever.  Like on Ego, "Please, don't move too fast/ I'm scared of y'all niggas and my nerves is bad/ So sad but I won't think twice/ We rich, we get the best judicial advice."

Over the top ignorance aside, I do love the Clipse for occasionally having a heart, like on "I'm Not You" where Malice says "...it shames me to no end/ to feed poison to those who could very well by my kin/ But where there's demand, someone will supply/ So I feed their needs at the same time cry/ Yes it pains me to see them need this/ All of them lost souls and I'm their Jesus/ Deepest regret and sympathy to the streets/ I seen them pay for they fix when they kids couldn't eat/ And with this in mind, I still didn't quit/ And that's how I know that I ain't shit/ My heart bleed but that's aside from the fact I live for my kids and theirs, and them young'ns after that."
Thats why I like Malice better he gives more insight, while Push is more like a swag/hot line rapper. But even when they show a conscious its still as you said sinister. See he still sold them their shit lol. HHNF is my favorite of the Clipse too. I though LW had too many happy beats and the last one they seemed spooked over that case.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-0
  • oyeme
« Reply #46 on: March 01, 2012, 02:27:23 AM »
There are some tracks that I check for with nas: "2nd Childhood" being one of my favorites. IWW was a dope album so I mess with most of it. "Undying Love" "My Book of Rhymes." I just dont find him consistantly inspiring.

Yeah, I think that my biggest knock against him is definitely his inconsistency.  I like most of his stuff but he's also got a lot that's regrettable for all sorts of reasons.  From occasionally lazy verses, bad hooks to poor choices in production or poorly thought out features, he's found plenty of ways to disapoint us over the years.

feel you on that, but when I stumble upon a 3 Thou verse by accident (Drake & Lil Wayne albums) its like when you find money in ya dirty cloths pants pocket. That shit is sweet. But that Lucious Left Foot was dope, wish more people took notice.

Yeah, my thing is I don't mess with cats like Wayne or Drake in the first place so I usually just wait for one of my partners that does mess with those dudes to tell me how nice 3000 or Kendrick Lamar or whoever was on their new tape. 

I'm actually up on his latest thing though.  Whaaaaaat...

In a word, YES!

This feeling must be how you felt when I talked about Nas. I think Lu is technically probably the most complete emcee that Ive heard. I just dont think there's anything he cant do. Now, obviously he was able to listen and grow off of all the greats but thats how the genre is. When I heard him basically do BIG's style, then turn around and start twistin, then jump into his own lane and be so lyrically dense it was a wrap for me. From subject matter to technique from nerd shit to streets... its all there.

Most complete?  I just don't hear it.  I mean more complete than KRS?  Than Andre?  Than Black Thought?  Than Boots?  Than Mos?  Naaaaaah, I don't hear it.

And really, I just think it's kind of hilarious that you're knocking Nas for his inconsistancy while at the same time championing Lupe.  I mean didn't Lupe himself disown Lazers?

But as you know, Pac isnt one of those guys where you can sit down and study lyrics. If he doesnt move you theres no argument to be made for him. All I know is I can put on his last 3 albums (MATW, AEOM, 7DT) and zone out with a drank and be a-okay.

Me too...though I'm one of those weird people that kind of prefers Strictly for my N.I.G.G.A.Z. era Pac....if only for the way people's faces light up when you drop "I Get Around" at a party.  As much as people like "California Love" and "How Do You Want It" it's not quite the same reaction.  But yeah...

I guess I would disagree with you though in that Pac was someone that you could sit down and study his lyrics.  He wasn't always overly lyrical but he was nice as a writer when he wanted to be.  And he was nice from a technical standpoint too.  I mean dude was a poet.

But I think that we'd agree in part in that part of what made Pac great was sort of what he represented and embodied more than what he might have been saying on a particular line.  I think he was a unique figure in popular culture in that he embodied a lot of the best and the worst aspects of what it means to be a young black male in America in a way that was authentic.  It was easy to see yourself, your friends, all them hard dudes from down the way that you didn't fuck with, them dudes that were locked down, and the revolutionary cats that could quote Huey Newton all day and were always trying to "build", in Pac.  I mean damn, one of my closest partners has been every one of those things at some point in his life.  (Oddly enough, his favorite rapper--Breezly Brewin from the Juggaknots.  Go figure.)

and this is why I give it to Pac. Because if I use criteria like advancing the genre then I can go so many ways. If I use criteria like straight lyrics it could be so many people. But Pac separated himself, I think, in how his music touched people. Son has a cult following because of it.

Yeah, I'd say where he advanced the genre was in personalizing that whole thug character, and fleshing it out so that it wasn't just a pose you took to show how bad you were or how the system has backed you into a corner in a way that cats like Cube more or less did.

So yeah, he definitely touched people in life and after he passed but as far as that cult status goes, But I can't help but think that a lot of that, if not most of that was due to his death.  We honor and respect our dead in a way that we don't respect or honor our living.  We emphasize the good and brush the bad off to the side.  Just look at how Whitney Houston was talked about before and after she died..  But it's not just that, I think we need to think about when and how Pac died.

Or...let me put it like this, because I had this conversation with a friend of mine not too long ago and so this is how I'm thinking about things.  You look at someone like Pac, someone like Big, or even Big L or Pun, and you realize that these are cats that died in the prime of their careers.  And so when we remember them, we remember them at the height of their power.  We think fo them and we think of classic albums and/or artistic promise.  But you look at someone like Nas, someone who was every bit as influential, critically acclaimed and all that back in the mid 90s and you see what could have happened to our preceptions of them if they kept making music.  Fans of Big or Pac never had to watch them struggle to stay relevent, to compromise their music for commercial success, or take new and adventerous but ultimately unfortunate directions musically.  Meanwhile cats like Nas, like Common, like KRS have done those things.  They never had to watch Pac fade into semi-obscurity, the way fans of say, Lord Finesse, Rakim, or Grandmaster Caz, etc have.

I mean, maybe if he were still around I'd see just as many kids walking around with his face on their t-shirt.  But I doubt it.  And this isn't meant to be a knock against the man, I just don't think we can have a discussion about how all these cats have stacked up against each other without taking into account how we tend to elevate people in death.

I prefer lyrical Jay. Pop Jay I can do without. But Reasonable Doubt, or on certain tracks he still shows he has that ability. I couldnt mess with that WTT because of Kanye. Im done with dude. Even my Chitown bias wont allow it.

I get exactly what you mean.  And I definitely still fuck with Reasonable Doubt from time to time.  I think Kanye lost me back with 808s and Heartbreaks though.

Thats why I like Malice better he gives more insight, while Push is more like a swag/hot line rapper. But even when they show a conscious its still as you said sinister. See he still sold them their shit lol. HHNF is my favorite of the Clipse too. I though LW had too many happy beats and the last one they seemed spooked over that case.

Yeah, I think with Lord Willin, the Neptunes did more or less what they were doing with everyone else.  I think it turned out fine but on Hell Hath No Fury, they really went out of their way to build a sound that's specifically for the Clipse, for that moment in their career.  And it's one of those albums that you can put on today and it just doesn't sound like anything else before or since then.

Peace
pero ya tu sabes...

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #47 on: March 02, 2012, 09:04:09 AM »
Yeah, my thing is I don't mess with cats like Wayne or Drake in the first place so I usually just wait for one of my partners that does mess with those dudes to tell me how nice 3000 or Kendrick Lamar or whoever was on their new tape. 
I feel you, I used to fuck with Wayne for a short window between the time he was puttin out those Sqad Up tapes and Carter 2. Now I'll somethin now and then that catches my ear, but dude is like a stencil. His verses now are basically mirror images of each other with a shallow level of wordplay. It no longer holds my attention. Now, Drake on the other hand I can actually listen to. I consider what he does just good sounding music. Plus I appreciate what appears to be his honesty. If an artist gives some of themself in their music I can feel that. Again probably why I like Mal over Push.

Most complete?  I just don't hear it.  I mean more complete than KRS?  Than Andre?  Than Black Thought?  Than Boots?  Than Mos?  Naaaaaah, I don't hear it.

And really, I just think it's kind of hilarious that you're knocking Nas for his inconsistancy while at the same time championing Lupe.  I mean didn't Lupe himself disown Lazers?

TBH, I'm an 80's baby and never REALLY listened to KRS like that. Obviously I know the essentials and I respect dude for being an originator of sorts. He just wasnt on like that around me to appreciate him as much as I probably should. My pops would play Newcleus in the mid 80's, then Uncle L and Rakim... I think I just missed Kris somehow. As for Andre its tough. I go back and forth between Lu & Dre because I think Lu is a beast with the pen, and its in your face, Andre is too but its more subtle but 3K captures a song like no one else if you ask me... like Nas or Ghost on a story track, I think 3K is like that in the grand scheme of things.

The first tracks I heard from Lu were "Theme Music to a Driveby" and "Failure," my guy passed me the tape (CD) in 05 I think. The wordplay was just off the charts. What my man does with metaphors, running 2 or 3 simulataneously at times is insane to me. Andre doesnt do that, but he doesnt try to either. Then theres the times where he can go way abstract like on "Dumb it Down" or "Go To Sleep"

As for Lasers, it gets a lot of hate. But label issues did that. He tried to hit us with "Shining Down" and "Beamin" the label wanted those pop beats. But lyrically he still brought it and was able to throw some gems on there ("All Black Everything" / "Beautiful Lasers" / "Letting Go").

Me too...though I'm one of those weird people that kind of prefers Strictly for my N.I.G.G.A.Z. era Pac....if only for the way people's faces light up when you drop "I Get Around" at a party.  As much as people like "California Love" and "How Do You Want It" it's not quite the same reaction.  But yeah...
I mean "Keep Ya Head Up" is my favorite song of all time, plus S4MN had "Papaz Song," the title track was dope, "Point the Finga"... its a dope album too (so was 2Pacalypse Now).  But I think I like the transition from revolutionary to the figure you described best later in your post, probably because I appreciate when the artist goes inside themselves for their material. Again probably why I like Ghost, 3K, Pac, even Drake... while guys like Nas are great at describing the world around them, the revolutionary Pac described the world around him.

I guess I would disagree with you though in that Pac was someone that you could sit down and study his lyrics.  He wasn't always overly lyrical but he was nice as a writer when he wanted to be.  And he was nice from a technical standpoint too.  I mean dude was a poet.
With Pac I'm always asking "why" as opposed to a guy like Lupe or Chino XL im saying "What" thats the best way I can describe it. I agree he was a great writer though, he had a way of making it seem conversational rather than a cat like Wayne rapping at me.

But I think that we'd agree in part in that part of what made Pac great was sort of what he represented and embodied more than what he might have been saying on a particular line.  I think he was a unique figure in popular culture in that he embodied a lot of the best and the worst aspects of what it means to be a young black male in America in a way that was authentic.  It was easy to see yourself, your friends, all them hard dudes from down the way that you didn't fuck with, them dudes that were locked down, and the revolutionary cats that could quote Huey Newton all day and were always trying to "build", in Pac.  I mean damn, one of my closest partners has been every one of those things at some point in his life.  (Oddly enough, his favorite rapper--Breezly Brewin from the Juggaknots.  Go figure.)

perfect.

So yeah, he definitely touched people in life and after he passed but as far as that cult status goes, But I can't help but think that a lot of that, if not most of that was due to his death.  We honor and respect our dead in a way that we don't respect or honor our living.  We emphasize the good and brush the bad off to the side.  Just look at how Whitney Houston was talked about before and after she died..  But it's not just that, I think we need to think about when and how Pac died.

Sometimes i feel like he had to die. It just doesnt seem right that he wouldve been 40 years old doing family movies like Cube after all the death talk in his music. Had he lived it wouldve made his music less authentic somehow... or maybe more paranoid than real.

Or...let me put it like this, because I had this conversation with a friend of mine not too long ago and so this is how I'm thinking about things.  You look at someone like Pac, someone like Big, or even Big L or Pun, and you realize that these are cats that died in the prime of their careers.  And so when we remember them, we remember them at the height of their power.  We think fo them and we think of classic albums and/or artistic promise.  But you look at someone like Nas, someone who was every bit as influential, critically acclaimed and all that back in the mid 90s and you see what could have happened to our preceptions of them if they kept making music.  Fans of Big or Pac never had to watch them struggle to stay relevent, to compromise their music for commercial success, or take new and adventerous but ultimately unfortunate directions musically.  Meanwhile cats like Nas, like Common, like KRS have done those things.  They never had to watch Pac fade into semi-obscurity, the way fans of say, Lord Finesse, Rakim, or Grandmaster Caz, etc have.
True. But in the case of Pac most (not all, and you are an exception) of his fans feel he was getting better and as you said in his prime when he died. While most Nas fans I come across feel he was at his best with Illmatic (I prefer IWW). Jay fans prefer by and large Reasonable Doubt. Common fans probably are okay up to Like Water for Chocolate. Twista (I am from Chicago) swear by Adrenaline Rush and Ressurection. Biggie fans like RTD better than LAD (I am in the minority on that one too) etc... It seems as though Pac was headed up.

I mean, maybe if he were still around I'd see just as many kids walking around with his face on their t-shirt.  But I doubt it.  And this isn't meant to be a knock against the man, I just don't think we can have a discussion about how all these cats have stacked up against each other without taking into account how we tend to elevate people in death.
Thats fair.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +82/-0
  • oyeme
« Reply #48 on: March 04, 2012, 10:29:46 PM »
I feel you, I used to fuck with Wayne for a short window between the time he was puttin out those Sqad Up tapes and Carter 2. Now I'll somethin now and then that catches my ear, but dude is like a stencil. His verses now are basically mirror images of each other with a shallow level of wordplay. It no longer holds my attention. Now, Drake on the other hand I can actually listen to. I consider what he does just good sounding music. Plus I appreciate what appears to be his honesty. If an artist gives some of themself in their music I can feel that. Again probably why I like Mal over Push.

I don't really get that from Drake.  His persona seems just as contrived as anyone else's to me.  I mean, maybe he's being real, but there's something dischordant about hearing a former child star from an upper-middle class neighborhood say things like "y'all go'n fuck around and make me catch a body like that" or even likening himself to the rose that grew from concrete.  Nah son.  And, as whoever the truly inspired person behind the Big Ghost Chronicles was kind enough to point out, half the time he's trying to portray himself as this lonely mobster almost.  Maybe I'm wrong.  I don't know dude.  But he just doesn't come across as particularly authentic.  So yeah, as much as I liked "Headlines" as a song, I don't think I'd call it honest. 

Now, that's not necessarily a knock against Drake per se.  I think every rapper's persona is contrived to some extent.  I'd go as far as saying that if you're not thinking about that contrivance on some conscious level, and if you're limiting yourself to talking about things you've actually experienced first hand, you're not fully doing your job as an artist.

But nah, I think Drake definitely explores a lot of the emotions surrounding fame and surrounding relationships in a way that a lot of rappers don't.  One of my favorite lines in a while were actually from dude.  It was off of Thank Me Later:

I heard they just moved my grandmother to a nursing home/
And I be acting like I don't know how to work a phone/
But hit redial, you'll see that I just called/
Some chick I met at the mall that I barely know at all/

That is some real fucking talk right there.  And I think just about every young person that has struck it out on their own can relate to that.  All that said, I really don't vibe with dudes music all that much.  It's too much muffled drums and that new R&B for me.

TBH, I'm an 80's baby and never REALLY listened to KRS like that. Obviously I know the essentials and I respect dude for being an originator of sorts. He just wasnt on like that around me to appreciate him as much as I probably should. My pops would play Newcleus in the mid 80's, then Uncle L and Rakim... I think I just missed Kris somehow.

As a fellow 80s baby, this strikes me as inconceivable.  But nah, while I was up on Kris' mid to late 90s work when it dropped, I think I made a point of seeking out artists like him, who were from that earlier class of MCs just because those where the guys that my older cousins and their friends lionized.  To go back a ways, I started learning how to DJ when I was 15 or so.  I taught mysefl some once I got my own gear but really, my cousin taught me.  And in between sort of giving me lessons on technique and just letting me fuck around on his set up, he made a point of trying to properly "school me" on this hip-hop thing.  And I soaked all that in on some padawon shit.  I think it also helped that I didn't particularly like a lot of what was going on here on the West Coast during the mid to late 90s and so I spent a lot of time looking to the East Coast and looking backwards.  Hell, those West Coast acts that I did like, the underground cats, cats like the World Famous Beat Junkies, Dilated Peoples, Defari, Hieroglyphics and everyone on Stones Throw, made a lot of nods to the past as well as to the East themselves. 

The first tracks I heard from Lu were "Theme Music to a Driveby" and "Failure," my guy passed me the tape (CD) in 05 I think. The wordplay was just off the charts. What my man does with metaphors, running 2 or 3 simulataneously at times is insane to me. Andre doesnt do that, but he doesnt try to either. Then theres the times where he can go way abstract like on "Dumb it Down" or "Go To Sleep"

Yeah, my introduction was a lot different.  I'm not from Chicago.[1]  So I heard about him but didn't really hear him until he broke with "Kick, Push," which was interesting insofar as it was a rap song about skating, but which I also don't think was that great a song in the first place.  (Though I did end up liking a lot of that album.)  Not too long after that, I don't remember how close together these things were, there was that big hub bub after he flubbed some of the lines to some Tribe songs during one of those VH1 Hip-Hop honors things.  I don't remember what he said exactly, but I just remember that when everything was said and done he came across as arrogant, unprofessional and perhaps most importantly, disrespectful to one of my favorite rap groups ever.  I try to keep an open mind about things but I don't doubt that this first impression accounts for a lot of my dismissive attitude towards him now.  So yeah...

And man, I went back and checked those tracks, and I'm just not hearing what I'm supposed to be amazed about.  To be fair, this is the first time I'm really giving these ones a good listen and so I know I can't exactly getting deep into the lyrics.  But really, I think this is kind of illuminating for me in seeing our differences in perspectives.  I'm not the kind of guy that's going to be super impressed with metaphor and slick world play for their own sake in the first place.  I like a good turn of phrase as much as the next guy but I tend to find most of it to be corny.  (Example: I can like a pop machine?  No Com.  Just no.)  I tend to be more impressed by things like flow, strong phrasing, both musically and verbally, and powerful delivery.  I think that's why I gravitate towards cats like Nas whose flow tends to be impecable, intricate but who can also seamlessly weave chunks from Ecclesiastes into his verses on "No Idea's Original", or coin classic phrases like "I never sleep, cause sleep is the cousin of death" on "New York State of Mind"

As for Lasers, it gets a lot of hate. But label issues did that. He tried to hit us with "Shining Down" and "Beamin" the label wanted those pop beats. But lyrically he still brought it and was able to throw some gems on there ("All Black Everything" / "Beautiful Lasers" / "Letting Go").

I don't think that in this kind of discussion, that's not a good excuse.  Every artist on a label faces pressure to produce something that will hit.  If we're going to hold, say, Jay responsible for seeking out pop hits then we need to do the same thing with Lupe.  If anything, I'd give Jay more credit for at least owning the decision.

With respect to whether or not that album is nice lyrically, I honestly have no idea.  I really can't vibe with an album if I don't like the production.

But I think I like the transition from revolutionary to the figure you described best later in your post, probably because I appreciate when the artist goes inside themselves for their material. Again probably why I like Ghost, 3K, Pac, even Drake... while guys like Nas are great at describing the world around them, the revolutionary Pac described the world around him.

Yeah, I don't think introspection is Nas' strong suit either.  I think he's better when he's either speaking of himself in impersonal or prophetic terms but mostly casting his person against the larger backdrop of the world around him.  On tracks like "No Idea's Original" he speaks in the first person but really, he's using himself as a kind of stand in for any one of us that grew up how he grew up.  And it works.  He has this ability to create this sweeping picture that just captures something that appeals to me on a really personal level.  And in those pictures, his character is never unique.  I think the difference between the approach of Pac and of Nas is basically proximity.  Listening to Pac is like talking with a close friend.  Maybe you're bullshitting with him.  Maybe you're listening to him vent his frustrations.  etc.  Listening to Nas is more like sitting on a project park bench taking in the whole scene.  You know?

Sometimes i feel like he had to die. It just doesnt seem right that he wouldve been 40 years old doing family movies like Cube after all the death talk in his music. Had he lived it wouldve made his music less authentic somehow... or maybe more paranoid than real.

I think that's actually a great comparison.  Imagine, for a minute, if it had of been Cube who died in his prime.  In the early 90s, Cube was every bit as revolutionary as Pac was.  Imagine if he was struck down while he was in that lane.  How would our perception of him be altered by that?  And yeah, I think Pac would have probably settled into acting if he were still with us.  Though, I think Pac had better chops than Cube and would have probably ended up in a place closer to where Will Smith is than to where Cube is.  Still, the first role I think of when I think of Pac's acting career isn't any of the movies he's been in, it's his role as Jada Pinkett's ex-boyfriend in a Different World.  But that's neither here nor there.

True. But in the case of Pac most (not all, and you are an exception) of his fans feel he was getting better and as you said in his prime when he died. While most Nas fans I come across feel he was at his best with Illmatic (I prefer IWW). Jay fans prefer by and large Reasonable Doubt. Common fans probably are okay up to Like Water for Chocolate. Twista (I am from Chicago) swear by Adrenaline Rush and Ressurection. Biggie fans like RTD better than LAD (I am in the minority on that one too) etc... It seems as though Pac was headed up.

Okay, but Pac released a total of what, 5 studio albums before he died?

That's impressive but to keep things in perspective, people really didn't start writing KRS off until he was something like 9 or 10 albums deep.  (And, personally I liked his 6th and 7th albums best.)  Rakim had 4 classic albums with Eric B.  (While Paid in Full is their most celebrated, I'd argue that they got better on every album.)  People loved Ultramagnetic, but Kool Keith is probably most famous for his 4th studio album when he teamed up with the Automator for Dr. Octogon.  Del also worked with the Automator, and the result, Deltron Z, is I think also his most popular album.  It's also his what....5th studio album, 6th if you count the group album.  EPMD's third album was probably their best (though I think Strictly Business still gets the most love).  To this day, people debate whether Low End Theory (Tribe's second album) was better than Midnight Marauders (their third).  And really Common doesn't work as an example for you.  Like Water for Chocolate was his 4th album.  If his career would have been cut off at that point, people could also say that he was "headed up," even though in reality he followed that album up with Electric Circus, an album that's pretty universally (though I'd say unfairly) panned.

And then, of course, there are the Roots.  Thought and them have been doing it for almost twenty years now and their most recent album, undun, their 10th album, is some of their best work.  And shit, for Black Thought, it's more like his 11th album since he also had that one with his Money Making Jam Boys crew.

So yeah, Pac was great and prolific and all of that but he's also not the only one who most hip-hop fans would agree was growing as an artist over the course of their career.  And to be clear, I would agree with the consensus in that I think Pac got better as he went on.  (I Ain't Mad At Cha is my favorite Pac track.)  I'm just saying I prefer that SFMN-era Pac overall.  It's one of those times when I'd say favorite and best aren't really the same thing.  You know?

Also, I think I'd half-agree with you with respect to It Was Written.  I think that it's lyrically a much better album than Illmatic.  Lyrically, there's nothing on Illmatic that touches Street Dreams, in my not so humble opinion.  Hell, even the dreaded radio track from It Was Written was truly great.  But I think as a whole project, Illmatic edges it out by being tighter (it's practically an EP) a bit more focused and much stronger and more consistent in terms of production.  I think Illmatic was also a more important album in that it was a part of this wave, along with albums from cats like the Wu and Black Moon that sort of re-established that grimey East Coast sound.

On a side note, I think fans of Jay tend to prefer the Blueprint over Reasonable Doubt.  Personally, I prefer the In My Lifetime albums.  So yeah....

Damn it's good talking with you fam.  It's great to see another hip-hop head on one of these atheist boards.

Peace
 1. I technically am from Chicago though.  I was born but not raised in Chicago.
pero ya tu sabes...

Offline magicmiles

• Fellow
  • Darwins +167/-71
« Reply #49 on: March 05, 2012, 01:00:20 AM »
Steve Earle (my new avatar), Talking Heads, Midnight Oil, Morphine (my best live music experience ever), Jason Isbell, Simon and Garfunkel, Neil Diamond, Jeff Buckley.

Just a few off the top of my head.

The 2010 world cup was ruined for me by that slippery bastard Paul.

Offline Seppuku

• Fellow
  • Darwins +124/-1
  • I am gay for Fred Phelps
    • Seppuku Arts
« Reply #50 on: March 05, 2012, 08:51:25 AM »
Jesus, these threads are not still going are they?  &)

The list of music I enjoy is massive, I think it'd just be easier to cover the genres instead of the bands.

Metal:
Heavy metal, power metal, black metal, death metal, progressive metal, symphonic/operatic metal, folk metal, metal opera (I don't mean operatic voice, I mean...like an opera but with metal, for example Ayreon, I'll post a vid for what I mean) and probably some other genres of metal I've missed. It's a crazily varied genre.

Rock, Prog Rock, punk, ska, post-rock, blues, folk, industrial, aggrotech, some drum and bass (but rare for me to be in the mood), classical, traditional Japanese and most certainly not Justin Beiber.

At the moment I'm going through an aggrotech phase, so here's Psyclon Nine:

And I mentioned Metal Opera, here's Ayreon:

Basically Ayreon is a creation of a Dutch musician, but he invites members from various bands and each album is a concept album and each follow characters in a story and the singers from different bands who come in sing the different voices. Members involved have included James LaBrie (Dream Theater), Mikael Akerfeldt(Opeth), Bruce Dickenson(Iron Maiden), Tom Englund (Evergrey), Devin Townsend and members from Threshold, After Forever, Blind Guardian, Katatonia, Symphony X Epica, Stratovarius and more. The style of music played tends to vary, as you can tell from the range of bands involved. I suppose you could kind of liken what they're doing to Pink Floyd's The Wall, but with Science Fiction.

Here's 'The Sixth Extinction', which is a really epic track and has quite a few singers in it, including Tom Englund:
“It is difficult to understand the universe if you only study one planet” - Miyamoto Musashi
Warning: I occassionally forget to proofread my posts to spot typos or to spot poor editing.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +237/-6
« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2012, 11:28:25 AM »
yes     for page space

but you can still get there by clicking the blue  "Quote from........."

I went through you list. There were those that I knew and loved, but didn't list, there were some that I knew but were on the "wouldn't change the radio if they came on, but that's about it" list. I went throught those I didn't know, some I didn't care for, some were on the "wouldn't change the radio" level, butttt.....

Thank you very much for:

brian eno
laurie anderson
gang of four
chain
kings of leon
jean luc ponty
stephan grapelli
hoodoo gurus
fatboy slim
and
Carmel.

my music horizons have expanded.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +151/-7
« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2012, 07:20:30 PM »

I went through you list. There were those that I knew and loved, but didn't list, there were some that I knew but were on the "wouldn't change the radio if they came on, but that's about it" list. I went throught those I didn't know, some I didn't care for, some were on the "wouldn't change the radio" level, butttt.....

Thank you very much for:

brian eno
laurie anderson
gang of four
chain
kings of leon
jean luc ponty
stephan grapelli
hoodoo gurus
fatboy slim
and
Carmel.

my music horizons have expanded.

Ah mate that's wonderful. This site has been the greatest (only real) source of new musics for me since I've been here.

I'm glad you bumped this as I've been distracted and hadn't placed your list where it would jog my memory.
It's squarely mid desktop now and when I get some uncluttered time I'll dive in to the bands I don't know.

I should say that Carmel has one album that I really like
"Everybody's got a little soul"
I have always loved the ambiguity of the title as well as the music, truthfully nothing else I've heard of hers has been (for me) quite as potent.

Brian Eno  now there's a god walking the earth

I love these albums (no particular order)

Taking Tiger Mountain (By Strategy)
Before And After Science
Another Green World
Here Come The Warm Jets

Offline Tero

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +17/-3
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #53 on: March 09, 2012, 10:21:55 PM »
Some metal bands were mentioned. I only listen to COB, Mokoma, Finnish bands.

Currently playing Exit Stage Left, Rush. I only have the DVD, so I have a little DVD player hooked up to the stereo. I really should get the CD, one of their best lives. I have only seen Rush once, like two years ago. The rest of the bands from my 70s era barely tour anymore.

Wigwam last toured in 2005. Jim lives in Kansas City where I interviewed him 1999
http://wigwam.stc.cx/members/jim_london_helsinki_kc1.htm
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 10:24:46 PM by Tero »