Author Topic: Favourite Bands / Music Genres  (Read 1270 times)

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
Favourite Bands / Music Genres
« on: February 17, 2012, 12:48:29 PM »
My favourite band of all time is Nightwish. I heard about them on a mixed CD put out by a metal mag and I've been hooked ever since. Any band that can combine a full on orchestra with heavy metal gets my vote.

Here's the first single off their latest CD:

Some other symphonic metal bands I like include Epica, Delain and Within Temptation.

I like metal predominantly but I also listen to some mainstream music too. As the expression goes, "Daddy likes it all!"

Who are your favourites?

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Online rev45

• Reader
  • Darwins +37/-2
  • Did your parents raise you to be an idiot?
Re: Favourite Bands / Music Genres
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2012, 02:58:32 PM »
Oh man so many bands and genres to choose from.  If I had to choose one I'd go with rock music as my favorite because it's so broad.  Light rock, hard rock, pop rock, rock errr rock.  Those sub genres cover so many bands and artists that I love.  And if I absolutely must choose a favorite band above all the other bands I love, I'll go with The Beach Boys.  They were mainly from my parent's generation of music and so I grew up listening to them.  They have a large library of songs with a lot of great classics.  Here's one.

Here read a book.  It's free.
http://www.literatureproject.com/

Could a being create the fifty billion galaxies, each with two hundred billion stars, then rejoice in the smell of burning goat flesh?   Ron Patterson

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2012, 03:04:12 PM »
I'm a child of the 80's, so I like a lot of hair bands.

thanks to the various folks here, I've been very happy to learn about symphonic metal bands.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2012, 10:53:53 PM »
My favourite band of all time is Nightwish. I heard about them on a mixed CD put out by a metal mag and I've been hooked ever since. Any band that can combine a full on orchestra with heavy metal gets my vote.

Some other symphonic metal bands I like include Epica, Delain and Within Temptation.

Seeing these quotes make me think you will love Therion and Dimmu Borgir since both bands have used an actual orchestra in their music live, and in their albums.

Asking me the questions is a bad thing as I’m such a music lover, especially in the realm of Metal and Ambient music, that you will be bombarded with a ton of bands. The other music threads can attest to such.

I’m not going to list all my favorite sub-genres since it would take to long and pretty much miss the point of the thread, but I’m going to say my all-time favorites in Metal are Black Metal and Death Metal. I just love the raw energy they bring forth, the similar lifestyles most of the bands in both genres advocate, and just how broad the genres really are. In addition, with Black Metal especially, they are literally the only genres of music where they delve into literally every other genre of music imaginable, and even creates their own while they are at it. The musical talent it takes to make either genre of music without hurting yourself, much less sounding good, much less sounding great, take a hell of a lot of endurance, talent, creativity, and stamina. Usually for many bands, they have so much ideas outside of metal that they make their black metal and death metal, but then they turn around and delve into ambient music, or neo-classical etc.

Since I have to many favorite bands, I’m only going to list my top 9 bands in no particular order, other than the order I put them into this list.

Dimmu Borgir
Gorgoroth
Dark Funeral
Atritas
Deathspell Omega
Satanic Warmaster
Funeral Mist
Ghost
Eluveitie

The genres the bands are in this list are either:
Black Metal (Gorgoroth, Dark Funeral, Satanic Warmaster)
Orthodox Black Metal (Deathspell Omega, Funeral Mist)
Symphonic Black Metal (Dimmu Borgir, Atritas)
Folkish Melodic Death Metal (Eluveitie)
70’s inspired Psychedelic Heavy Metal/Hard Rock (Ghost)

Trust me, there are hundreds upon hundreds of more bands I wish to mention, but won’t due to space. I will leave however, with one of my all-time favorite songs from Funeral Mist, A New Light. Definitely one of the darkest songs I’ve ever had the blasphemous pleasure of listening to. In addition, this song paves the way of an idea that I wish to do when I make music. Although I also feel that for getting people into this music, I shouldn’t start off with something so extreme, but show off something more soothing yet dark, like early Dimmu Borgir. Oh well. Keep it Dark and Keep it metal! \m/

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +256/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #4 on: February 18, 2012, 01:00:51 AM »
I've got rather eclectic tastes, with My first musical love being the Beatles (Twist and Shout was the first album I ever owned).

My golden era, though, has to be 1970-75, when I discovered Top 40 radio and then prog-rock FM radio, and started building a rather large music collection (400 albums at its peak, just before I moved out and gave My brother half the collection).   Favourites from that period include the Guess Who, the Who, Doors, Alice Cooper, Chicago,  Led Zeppelin, Steely Dan, Yes, the Strawbs, Queen, Deep Purple and Genesis.

More recent favourites:  Joe Satriani, Foo Fighters, the Police, Blind Guardian, Green Day, AFI.

My favourite song at the moment:  Experimental Film by They Might Be Giants.

I'm also fond of jazz (especially the languid, abstract instrumental type that has great alto sax lines) and classical (mostly baroque like J.S. Bach and 20th century composers like Prokofiev), though I'll listen to just about anything in either genre.

Folk music?  *Meh*  Never really got into it.

Dislike most country music unless it has a good sense of humour and/or amazing instrumentalists.  Something about the typical country diphthong vocal inflection ("thay-eer" instead of "there") is a major turnoff.

But adult contemporary music?  Pfeah!  Do.  Not.  Want.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2012, 01:06:18 AM by Astreja »
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +98/-1
  • You know
« Reply #5 on: February 18, 2012, 03:35:25 AM »
I think that hip-hop was the first genre that really spoke to me.  And it's still my favorite kind of music. I listen to everything though.  But I think I'd credit even that open mindedness to the fact that hip-hop is a genre invites its geekier listeners to explore other forms of music in a way that other genres don't if for no other reason than that it's historically sample based.  And so if you want to know about how the records you liked got made, you had to know about the records they used to make them.  And it was that curiosity that led me to raid my pops record collection, stealing all his James Brown and Bob James records in the process.[1]  And in aspiring to be like those beatmakers we looked up to, me and my friends would be all over town looking for just the right jazz records.  And the thing was, we'd start off looking for the right thing to loop or chop up but after a while, we ended up just appreciating the music for what it was and having long conversations about it all.

As far as my favorite groups go, like Death Over Life, I've just got too many names so I'll just rattle off a few that were particularly important to me:

Native Tongues (De La Soul, Tribe Called Quest, Jungle Brothers, Black Sheep et al)
Digable Planets
Gangstarr
Nas

I think these groups were important to me mostly because they were what my older cousins were listening to when I was coming up.  I looked up to them and these were the people that they were listening to.  In particular, Blowout Comb and Beats, Rhymes and Life will forever be favorite albums of mine because one of my cousins gave them to me for Christmas.  I'm sentimental like that.

As far as who I'm checking for now:

Blu
Kendrick Lamar
Das Racist (especially Heems)
Danny Brown
Edan
Freddie Gibbs

let me just stop there...

But yeah, I'm really looking for Nas' new shit:

1. I still have them.
Nah son...

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #6 on: February 18, 2012, 06:55:13 AM »
I also like a wide variety of musical genres. 

But I have to respond to Timo’s Queensbridge video with a video that was partially filmed in my neighborhood, two stops away on the F train from Queensbridge.  Oh, but it is a very different world.  (My neighborhood starts around the 40 second mark, but the images are interspersed with footage of India and other South Asian countries – no rickshaws or unpaved streets in the 5 boros)

I think that Chee Malabar is brilliant poet and philosopher and musician, and in this piece he speaks articulately about the clash of cultures and the role of religion and colonization in South Asia, with the voice of an immigrant raised in NY. 

I am absolutely crazy about the work of Manu Chao.  He is an outspoken atheist, and a champion for social justice, and his work is biting and often ironic.  Musically, he incorporates a huge set of influences, including cumbia and reggae and rock and flamenco.  He grew up in France as a refugee from Franco’s regime, and a large percentage of his work is dedicated to the topic of refugees and displaced people and migration.  Most of his songs are in Spanish and French, but he has a small body of work in English and Portuguese, and an even smaller body in Arabic and Wolof.  He is HUGE in Latin America, but has received very little recognition in the US. 

Here is one of his pieces in English, with a very low-budget video that lacks subtlety. 

More Manu Chao.  Here is a biting, ironic portrait of the border city of Tijuana, which addresses vastly different goals that the city represents for those who arrive from the north, and those who arrive from the south.  At the very end of this version, he incorporates some bizarre Mexican comedy, interspersed with the manifesto of Subcomandante Marcos, who is a leader of an indigenous rights movement in Southern Mexico.  In Spanish.

And one more Spanish piece by Manu Chao, which I think is just one of the most tragic and beautiful and joyous songs I have every heard.  My 5 year old and I like to dance to it.

Online DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
  • The Flaming Duck of Death!
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2012, 03:48:36 AM »
I played the Nightwish video and the first thing that popped into my head was that this group (or at least this particular song) sounds an awful lot like ABBA. That's not intended to be an insult, BTW.

As for me, I've been listening to a lot of older Kings of Leon lately, esp the Aha Shake Heartbreak record. Bob Marley is always a good pick-me-up, even if he's a little Jah-centric in some songs. Also, this may lose me some street cred but the new Daughtry record is fantastic.
Providing rednecks with sunblock since 1996.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Timo

• Reader
  • Darwins +98/-1
  • You know
« Reply #8 on: February 20, 2012, 05:35:23 AM »
Quesi, thank you for that.  I never really fuxed with Manu Chao like that.  But Bienvenida a Tijuana is officially my shit right now.
Nah son...

Offline plethora

• Fellow
  • Darwins +60/-1
  • Metalhead, Family Man, IT Admin & Anti-Theist \m/
« Reply #9 on: February 20, 2012, 06:01:51 AM »
It's metal for me. I like a loooot of metal subgenres ... particularly death metal / melodic death metal. In fact, I play guitar in a metal band that gigs regularly.

I don't have a favorite band of all time ... but there are a few guitar players that are at the very top for me.

If I'm gonna pick one ... I'll say Jeff Loomis:

The truth doesn't give a shit about our feelings.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2012, 06:22:03 AM »
I played the Nightwish video and the first thing that popped into my head was that this group (or at least this particular song) sounds an awful lot like ABBA. That's not intended to be an insult, BTW.

I quite dislike ABBA but one thing I've always recognised about them is that their music is way more complex than most disco (or pop, R&B or even rock for that matter). Nightwish too is highly complex; add to this that both bands have rather amazing vocalists and the connection you felt between the two makes sense.

Anette and Julius had WAY too much fun making that video, btw. ;)
But kidding aside, it's a good sign when you see this in a band. Remember Lordi's The Arockalypse? First track is a bit of audio drama. At times, you can hear Snider's mirth as he says his lines. And, yes, he's only a guest star on the album, but you can  imagine what the recording went like.

To actually answer the OP's question ... I also favor the metallic side of things, ranging from Rhapsody of fire, along Rammstein to Motorhead (and a whole host of others). But the stuff I happen to listen to at any give time is highly mood related. Reise, Reise and Minutes to Midnight are my favorite 'vent' music ... screaming along in your car kind of deal. Last week was quite a horrid one for me ... and I always find myself gravitating towards Therapy? at times like that (primarily Suicide pact - you first and Troublegum ... and Perversonality off the Nurse album). Cheers me up, hearing songs about people worse off than me. (in a quit your whining kind of way)
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Offline kin hell

• Professor
  • Darwins +152/-7
  • - .... . .-. . /.. ... / -. --- / --. --- -.. ...
« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2012, 06:54:47 AM »
cannot comply

tried

wrote three lists

blew out any rational limitation

easier to say what I don't like

atonal jazz
country and western (but I like quite a few artists ?????)
folk
most disco
lame boy/girl bands
polka
a hell of a lot of the interchangeable indistinguishable blancmange on current radio (whenever I rarely tune in)
not real big on classical but

some mainstream highlights depending on what I feel like listening to at the moment

brian eno
red hot chillis (for the funk potency of blood sugar sex magic)
bowie
zappa
king crimson
beastie boys
alice cooper
laurie anderson
jethro tull
primus
louis armstrong and ella fitzgerald
leo kottke
john martyn
tool
creedence
buddy holly
patti smith
adam ant
moby
gang of four
bauhaus
chain
police
b52s
DEVO
cat stevens
soundgarden
kings of leon
santana
talking heads
trex
ministry
faith no more
skyhooks
split enz
jean luc ponty
stephan grappelli
beachboys
nin
rage against the machine
pretenders
joe jackson
joan armatrading
janes addiction
hoodoo gurus
rem
fatboy slim
carmel
the who
the stones
the beatles
the the

etc etc etc

"...but on a lighter note, demons were driven from a pig today in Gloucester."  Bill Bailey

all edits are for spelling or grammar unless specified otherwise

Offline Dante

• Reader
  • Darwins +71/-9
  • Hedonist Extraordinaire
« Reply #12 on: February 21, 2012, 07:44:50 AM »
I'm definately a rocker/metal head, and what I listen to is subject to the mood I'm in, or the mood I want to be in. Could be old school rythym and blues to the latest death metal, and everything in between. Bon Scott's AC/DC is near the top of my list, at all times. But so is Testament, old school Metallica, Megadeth, Anthrax, Sepultura, White Zombie, Marilyn Manson, Ministry, Motorhead, etc.....

That said, I love me some Pantera! Always have, always will! RIP Dimebag..... :'(
Actually it doesn't. One could conceivably be all-powerful but not exceptionally intelligent.

Online jynnan tonnix

• Reader
  • Darwins +84/-1
« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2012, 10:45:54 AM »
There's not a lot that I dislike, as long as it is reasonably melodic, but I don't tend to actually listen to a lot of music. I did when I was younger, so not really sure what happened. I am a bit of an unapologetic geek, though, and do enjoy many genres which get blasted by most other people. Showtunes, folk music barbershop quartets, opera...mostly anything which involves voices in harmony. I enjoy classical music, and bluesy jazz...and really wish that gospel didn't tend to be mostly religious because there's some amazing sounding stuff there.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #14 on: February 21, 2012, 12:51:57 PM »
In no particular order:

Dick Dale, Stevie Ray Vaughn, J.S. Bach, Pink Floyd, Led Zeppelin, Fleetwood Mac, Social Distortion, Neil Young, NOFX, The Ramones, Veruca Salt, Ludwig Van Beethoven, Mozart, AC/DC, ZZTop, Howlin Wolf, Rolling Stones, Buddy Guy, Pat Benatar, Beastie Boys, Violent Femmes, Reverend Horton Heat, Beatles. Liz Phair, The Ventures, Adele, Amy Winehouse, 50% of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, Electric Light Orchestra

Who I loath:
rush (omg, I fucking HATE rush), Dave matthews, grateful dead, christina aguillera, mariah cary, all boy bands, almost all hip-hop, the other 50% of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, van halen (except "Aint talkin bout love". great song), the Who (except "reign o'oer me". great song)

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

What's true is already so. Owning up to it does not make it worse.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #15 on: February 21, 2012, 01:06:07 PM »

Who I loath:
rush (omg, I fucking HATE rush)

Even their "new" song Caravan?

E.

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #16 on: February 21, 2012, 01:09:04 PM »
did you really need to ask?
Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #17 on: February 21, 2012, 01:16:03 PM »
Quesi,

Never heard of Manu Chao but I quite liked the videos you posted. If I wanted to get a definitive Cd, where would I start?

Death over Life,

I LOVE Dimmu Borgir. Their new album is excellent - well produced and the orchestra is a great touch. They've taken a lot of flak over abandoning their traditional BM roots (then again, they're accused of this on every new release, so more of the same). I personally prefer the better produced stuff (and some old school Burzum - his re-records are crap IMO).

I also really like Behemoth. I'd like to see a little orchestral influence thrown into some of their stuff sometimes.

I find as I age my tastes in music are much more aggressive than when I was a kid. Maybe it's my version of a mid life crisis. Who knows? Having more aggressive tastes in music beats giant car payments on a Corvette.

The Bee Gees are high on my list of faves, as well as ABBA. I like some electronic stuff like Schiller and Sleepthief as well.

My iPod shuffle setting can produce some pretty varied results. There's nothing like going from Alas, Lord is Upon Me to Summer Night City.

E.

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +29/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #18 on: February 21, 2012, 01:18:12 PM »
did you really need to ask?

lol

Geddy doesn't sound as "nasally squealing like" on this though.

What about them don't you like?

E.

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #19 on: February 21, 2012, 02:03:13 PM »

Who I loath:
rush (omg, I fucking HATE rush), Dave matthews, grateful dead, christina aguillera, mariah cary, all boy bands, almost all hip-hop, the other 50% of the Red Hot Chili Peppers, van halen (except "Aint talkin bout love". great song), the Who (except "reign o'oer me". great song)

I like Rush and The Grateful Dead, but their fans...damn they can get on my nerves. Listen guys, they are just a decent band, they are not "OMGTHEGREATESTBANDWHOEVERPLAYED!" stop worshipping them.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline screwtape

• The Great Red Dragon
  • Administrator
  • Darwins +646/-27
  • Karma mooch
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2012, 03:16:30 PM »
What about them don't you like?

Geddy. Their pretentious, intellectual prog rock.  But mainly Geddy. 

I like that he looks like a witch.  His nose and chin nearly meet.  He should have to wear a pointed witch's hat and a black cape.  His bass should be shaped like a broom and he could ride it around the venues he plays.  He could play Elfaba on Broadway, except I'd rather he didn't sing.  Maybe he could just lip synch?

I'd agree with Hatter about their fans, but while I do find them annoying, I cannot blame them.  I'm kind of the same way about the musicians I like.  I am more low key, I think.  But I would definitely fight someone over Pink Floyd or Bach. 

Links:
Rules
Guides & Tutorials

Offline Death over Life

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +25/-4
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2012, 03:36:21 PM »
Death over Life,

I LOVE Dimmu Borgir. Their new album is excellent - well produced and the orchestra is a great touch. They've taken a lot of flak over abandoning their traditional BM roots (then again, they're accused of this on every new release, so more of the same). I personally prefer the better produced stuff (and some old school Burzum - his re-records are crap IMO).

\m/ Thought you would! ;)

For me though, I think I prefer the old-school Dimmu Borgir overall, but I love every single album they have ever produced (except for the re-recorded Stormblast MMV). I hate the “gr1m kvlt!” elitists who can’t stand the fact that Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth became successful. It’s kind of funny though since they and Emperor were the main bands that really brought about the Symphonic Black Metal genre to begin with. For me, I don’t see how anybody can trash their older songs like this:

Concerning Burzum, early on I wasn’t much of a fan of them, but slowly and surely, I had what I would call Burzum spurts where that would be all I listen to. Nowadays, Burzum kills! My favorite songs from him are Lost Wisdom, War, and A Lost Forgotten Sad Spirit. My whole anti-Burzum back then was due to the fact that I didn’t get to give it much of a chance, but Burzum is indeed a good band!

I also really like Behemoth. I'd like to see a little orchestral influence thrown into some of their stuff sometimes.

To begin with, Behemoth is a must if I were to have created a list of bands to recommend. They kill, and I’m glad Nergal is back and better than ever since his’ battle with Leukemia. Definitely one of the greatest bands on Earth today! Inferno is a human drum-machine to say the least.

If this is something you really wish to see, then from what I’ve heard and read about, check out Fleshgod Apocalypse! They (along with Hour of Penance and Hate) are very Behemoth sounding bands, but for Fleshgod Apocalypse, metal-archives lists them as: Symphonic/Technical Death Metal

I’ll post up 2 songs and see what you think:

And on an ending note, I forgot a couple genres worth of music to add. I never mentioned it before, but I love Chant music! Despite the fact that religious people use it all the time for worship, I feel on a musical quality, it deserves a lot more recognition than it actually gets. Usually the only problem I have with it is that when you hear the music in church, it feels there is something missing since there is no background music. However, once there is music to help enhance the chanting, it brings about a very beautiful and atmospheric touch to the artwork that is being bestowed upon us. The chanting in the music is a huge part of why bands like Deathspell Omega and Funeral Mist are favorites of mine, but I also love bands that heavily concentrate on it, like Gregorian. Sadly though, there are not many bands that really concentrate on this vocal style like Gregorian does. They tend to only touch up on it occasionally. That’s why if I can get my own music going, I wish to provide a heavy emphasis on the chant vocals, in addition to the grunting and shrieking.

I haven’t emphasized much on the dark ambient/neo-classical/neo-folk music, but I actually created a thread dedicated towards such music since that is in addition, what I really love for non-metal music. Kind of funny though since all the artists are metal musicians lol.

http://whywontgodhealamputees.com/forums/index.php/topic,19197.msg424988.html#msg424988

Offline Quesi

• Reader
  • Darwins +371/-4
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #22 on: February 21, 2012, 07:55:27 PM »
Yay!  Two more atheist Manu Chao converts!  I’m pretty sure I get a toaster oven when I get to 10.  Or maybe I’m thinking of something else….

Timo, I am thrilled that Bienvenida a Tijuana is “officially your shit now!”  Especially since I’m pretty sure that you are much younger and cooler than I am, and you probably don’t often add songs to your playlist that are recommended by middle aged moms!

Energized, I’m not sure if there is a “definitive cd.”  I know his most recent release, Baionarena, is recorded live, and includes a wide range of his work.  But Manu Chao has a very improvisational style, and I actually really like what he does with his studio work better.  He takes risks on stage, and sometimes the risks pay off, and sometimes they don’t.  His last studio work, Radiolina, was wonderful in my opinion.  But I was a fan beforehand.

It seems that most of his Spanish language work is more nuanced, and more complex.  I think that he thinks that English speakers need to hear his messages in no uncertain terms.  I don’t know his French work very well because I don’t speak French.  That said, there is so little out there in English about him as an artist, a political activist, and an outspoken atheist.

Here is a nice documentary about him and his work.  It is in Spanish with French subtitles, but the music and the visuals are appealing even if you don’t speak either language. 

Offline bosey926

• Reader
  • Darwins +8/-1
« Reply #23 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:06 PM »
     I feel that it is impossible for me to simply name one band as my favorite; though, I do listen to nearly everything, with rock n' roll topping the list.  I feel that giving you the names of my artist stations on my Pandora is a good guide to what do listen to, but that, like I said, is next to everything.  So, I'll give you the short list of what I don't listen to.

Don't: Most of modern hip/hop, close to all of modern country, damn near every spec of techno.

My Stations: Alison Krauss & Union Station, Bob Seger and The Silver Bullet Band, Coldplay, Kenny G, Ludvig van Beethoven, Marvin Gaye, Metallica, Pearl Jam, Rage Against The Machine, The Beatles, The Eagles, The Goo Goo Dolls, The Notorious B.I.G., The Pogues  <---What I'm listening to now

Online DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
« Reply #24 on: February 22, 2012, 04:46:13 AM »
I was asked on FB to list the 15 albums I found most influential, so I thought I'd share my response here:

1. Pink Floyd - The Wall
I never really gave Floyd a chance in HS, since they were always considered a 'stoner' band, and that wasn't really my scene. After I joined the AF, I was hanging out drinking beer with some friends in a dorm room and one of them put the video for The Wall in. I realized then how brilliant Floyd was, and I've been a huge fan ever since.

2. Radiohead - The Bends
Everyone who cites OK Computer as the band's masterpiece should do themselves a favor and give a good listen to its predecessor, The Bends. This record is their finest work, imho, and laid the foundation for Radiohead to become arguably the most influential rock band of the 90's.

3. Bruce Springsteen - Tunnel of Love
Another example of a record somewhat overlooked, Bruce captures the experience of heartbreak here. This album helped me get through a very tough breakup of my own.

4. Queensryche - Operation: Mindcrime
I just love this thing from top to bottom, and it paints a very vivid but desperate picture as the story unfolds. To me this is almost like The Wall 2, not so much musically but conceptually. So many tracks on this record kick you in the teeth, but the standout cut "I Don't Believe In Love" mercilessly and brilliantly drives the message home.

5. John Denver - Greatest Hits
This was one of my father's favorite records, and after he passed on when I was a kid I would listen to this and remember him and cry. It definitely helped me weather a very difficult time. "Leaving On A Jet Plane" is probably my favorite song ever.

6. Third Eye Blind - Third Eye Blind
This is another great record from beginning to end. It definitely inspired my songwriting and perspective about what a band should be. Sure, everyone knows "Jumper" and "Semi-Charmed Life," but if you are unfamiliar with the song "Motorcycle Drive By," you need to hear it. Now.

7. Toad The Wet Sprocket - Dulcinea
Another big writing inspiration for me. "Crowing" is just a gorgeous song.

8. Led Zeppelin - 4 &
9. AC/DC - Back In Black
In the summer of 1980, I was lucky enough to find both of these cassettes (on separate occasions) out in the wilderness. How cool is it for a kid's first albums to be both free and among the greatest ever recorded? I listened to both incessantly (wore them out, in fact), and from that point forward my primary purpose was playin' rock and roll.

10. The Clash - London Calling
I actually got the powers that be to play "Lost In A Supermarket" at a church dance! It was one of the greatest triumphs of my teen years. I had taken this LP with me, and I remember trying to convince the DJ to play some songs off it that would be cool to dance to. They usually refused outside music (too worried about objectionable content), but thankfully the lyrics were included in the liner notes. Despite references to drinking (not to mention railing against such soul crushing institutions as organized religion), they finally played it, and I danced about like a spider monkey on crystal meth. Good times. They completely refused to play "Clampdown," however.

11. Gin Blossoms - New Miserable Experience
Raw, cool, and catchy as the flu, I was thrilled that AZ finally had a kick-ass rock band at the top of the charts. I got to hang with the band once, and they seemed like very down to earth guys.

12. The Beatles - Rubber Soul
Another of my dad's faves, I remember him playing this album (on 8-track, no less) a bunch when I was growing up. "Norwegian Wood" always got stuck in my head. Any songwriter who doesn't name The Beatles as an influence isn't much of one.

13. Guns -n- Roses - Appetite For Destruction
Possibly the greatest hard rock album ever recorded. After the very first listen you just knew the bar had been raised. If Appetite was released tomorrow it would still be a giant hit, over 20 years later. It's that timeless. I can't think of any other 'Hair Metal' era records that would be as popular if released today as they were back then.

14. U2 - The Unforgettable Fire
Joshua Tree is right up there, too, but for me TUF is it. It just has a great vibe, and U2 may have the best synergy of any band ever. In the Eddie/Yngwie/Vai era of fretboard shredding, The Edge is the most inventive and perhaps most influential guitarist of all.

15. Styx - Paradise Theater
My friends and I would crank this up and sing along when we were growing up and dreaming about having our own band. I guess its a pretty common dream for a young person, but it still feels so powerful and personal in that moment. While to most folks it remains just a dream, I am glad and proud that I stuck with it enough to be able to get up on stage and do something I absolutely love. It all started with listening to records with friends and sharing a dream to make music, too.

So there you go. Its been a couple years since I've played in a band (dedicated family man now), but I had an absolute blast playing for over 2 decades. I'm still writing songs[1], so maybe if I'm really fortunate I'll get something cut in the future. Of course all you metalheads would never hear it 'cause it would most likely be on a country record[2]. D'oh!
 1. I don't think I could stop doing that even if I wanted to.
 2. FYI, I grew up in AZ and now live in Nashville.

I once met a man who claimed to be a genius, then boasted that he was a member of "Mesa".

Think for yourself.

Offline Fiji

• Reader
  • Darwins +83/-2
« Reply #25 on: February 22, 2012, 05:03:36 AM »
I was asked on FB to list the 15 albums I found most influential, so I thought I'd share my response here:

influential for you personally or that you feel are influential for the world at large?
Science: I'll believe it when I see it
Faith: I'll see it when I believe it

Schrodinger's thunderdome! One cat enters and one MIGHT leave!

Without life, god has no meaning.

Online DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
« Reply #26 on: February 22, 2012, 05:11:35 AM »

influential for you personally or that you feel are influential for the world at large?

This is just for me, personally, although many on my list are universally influential, I think.

Think for yourself.

Offline BaalServant

• Graduate
  • Darwins +8/-1
  • Praise Ba'al really hard!
« Reply #27 on: February 22, 2012, 09:09:10 AM »
Two of my criteria for a band are that I can tell who they are when I hear a track by them for the first time, and their ability to perform live.  Not necessarily matching their albums, but being able to control the sound they make. 

I can't believe the full album was actually there, but here's a youtube link to The Black Crowes Amorica 1994.  (There's a hair of a skip between the tracks, but it beats the cd players I've been coming across lateley).  Sure, their lyrics can be sappy, but I still have to say this is my favorite band.

Zep's cool, that would definitely be my second desert island necessity.  Of course, now I'm wondering if I'd want to make The Dandy Warhols my second choice.  And then there's Queens of the Stone Age, Dr. Reznor, Tool/Perfect Circle/Puscufer, Louis C K, every band from the sixties and seventies that laid an acid rock track, A bunch of local bands that nobody's heard of nor wants to hear of, Richard Feynman's lectures, no country whatsoever (I mean, rock's formulaic, sure, but wtf country music?),  Cypress Hill, and even some ICP.  I wish they'd make a Wizards of the Hood movie.  Oh, yeahr, John Lajoie would be good, too.

.   ###$$$$$$$$$$$$###
   ################
   ###  PRAISE BA'AL  ####
 #### FOR THE ALTAR ####
##### OF BA'AL!!!!!! #####
####################

Online DumpsterFire

• Graduate
  • Darwins +61/-0
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 09:15:55 AM »
Two of my criteria for a band are that I can tell who they are when I hear a track by them for the first time, and their ability to perform live.  Not necessarily matching their albums, but being able to control the sound they make. 

I can't believe the full album was actually there, but here's a youtube link to The Black Crowes Amorica 1994.  (There's a hair of a skip between the tracks, but it beats the cd players I've been coming across lateley).  Sure, their lyrics can be sappy, but I still have to say this is my favorite band.

Please oh please tell me this is an intentional pun referring to the original album cover!

Think for yourself.