Author Topic: Do atheists take religion too seriously?  (Read 449 times)

Online flapdoodle64

• Graduate
  • Darwins +47/-1
    • My Movie Reviews
Do atheists take religion too seriously?
« on: February 16, 2012, 03:43:09 PM »
I am certain that I take religion too seriously. 

Why should I care about genital mutliation of newborn babies? It was done to me, I got over it.  (Sort of.)

Why should I care that my gay nephew has to grow up in a household that supports an organization that designates him a 2nd class citizen?  Lots of gays have had to deal with discrimination...he'll probably get over it. 

Why should I care that all of my nieces and nephews are programmed to believe that there is a an invisible omnipresent being that can read all of their innermost thoughts and desires and who will condemn them to eternal torture until they repent every last unsanctioned thought?  I grew up that way, and I survived...

Maybe atheistst take this sh!t too seriously... I don't think religious people gives this stuff a second thought.  If you don't think about it, it doesn't matter, right?

Offline Benny

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +16/-1
  • Hugs And Love
    • My YouTube channel
Re: Do atheists take religion too seriously?
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2012, 03:54:15 PM »
Atheists are the "radicals" in this society.  So, until we can become the majority, we HAVE to take things too seriously, or else we're not taken seriously at all.  As atheists, we CAN win the creationists' own game.  We all need to get together and deconvert one person at a time.  Until then, we have to make our points known, I think.  Besides, most Christians take religion too seriously, I think.

Of course, you don't HAVE to participate in debate and truth-spreading.  But then, what are you doing here, exactly?
Gay atheist teen.  But none of that should matter.

Watch me on YouTube: youtube.com/heathenbenny

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +266/-34
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2012, 04:01:34 PM »
How else are you supposed to take something that, at best, discriminates against everyone who doesn't follow it? Just ignore it? Maybe you're right. All that "moral" nonsense doesn't really mean anything, does it? Empathy? Fuck it! Let the majority discriminate against and/or exterminate the minorities one by one!
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline kitar77

• Freshman
  • Darwins +0/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2012, 08:31:00 PM »
I hear that often from my family and friends.

I am told that I am too serious and negative on the topic.

All I usually do is ask simple questions.....

Happy to have this great forum so I can vent a little.

Offline wright

• Reader
  • Darwins +72/-1
  • "Sleep like a log, snore like a chainsaw."
« Reply #4 on: February 16, 2012, 11:05:08 PM »
Atheists are the "radicals" in this society.  So, until we can become the majority, we HAVE to take things too seriously, or else we're not taken seriously at all. 

You nailed it, Benny. And as the radicals, we are going to catch flack for just daring to exist, much less actually speak out, much less still demand the majority reexamine their own assumed privilege. Until the believers are educated or accepting enough to recognize that we have power, they are going to continue to denigrate, marginalize and trivialize us.

No one gives you power; you have to take it.
-- Richard Dysart
Live a good life... If there are no gods, then you will be gone, but will have lived a noble life that will live on in the memories of your loved ones. I am not afraid.
--Marcus Aurelius

Offline Iamrational

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +9/-0
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2012, 12:02:58 AM »
For some reason when I read "deconvert," just know I thought of that scene on the Matrix when they unplug Neo from the womb he was encased in by the machines. It feels like that is what we need to do. 1000's of years of brainwashing has be-spelled these christians and we have to unplug them one by one until the machines (religion) can't survive anymore. Game on!

Offline sun_king

• Graduate
  • Darwins +25/-0
  • We see things not as they are, but as we are
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2012, 12:49:50 AM »
Maybe atheistst take this sh!t too seriously... I don't think religious people gives this stuff a second thought.  If you don't think about it, it doesn't matter, right?

Religious people take this stuff a lot more thought than you want to believe. Ask Salman Rushdie or the Danish Cartoonists.

Its a bit improved now, a few hundred years ago if I had answered that the earth revolves around the sun, I may have been executed. It is because someone's been taking this **** serious in those dark days, I have a better understanding of this world. I feel a moral obligation to those brave souls who risked their limbs and lives to resist the oppression enforced by religion. It is time we took it more seriously. My neices and nephews deserve better.

Offline pingnak

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2012, 03:17:07 AM »
Watch 'Jesus Camp'
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/jesus-camp/

Then follow it up with 'God's Next Army'
http://topdocumentaryfilms.com/gods-next-army/

Then 'relax'.  Chill!  Mellow out.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2012, 09:05:47 AM »

Religious people take this stuff a lot more thought than you want to believe. Ask Salman Rushdie or the Danish Cartoonists.

Its a bit improved now, a few hundred years ago if I had answered that the earth revolves around the sun, I may have been executed. It is because someone's been taking this **** serious in those dark days, I have a better understanding of this world. I feel a moral obligation to those brave souls who risked their limbs and lives to resist the oppression enforced by religion. It is time we took it more seriously. My neices and nephews deserve better.

I think the majority don't give it much thought, they just follow. You are talking about the radicals, who oft end up being the leaders.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Hatter23

• Fellow
  • Darwins +257/-7
  • Doesn't believe in one more god than you
« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2012, 09:07:21 AM »
I am certain that I take religion too seriously. 

Yes, I consider there a completely insufficient amount of mocking and comedic ridicule of religion.
An Omnipowerful God needed to sacrifice himself to himself (but only for a long weekend) in order to avert his own wrath against his own creations who he made in a manner knowing that they weren't going to live up to his standards.

And you should feel guilty for this. Give me money.

Offline Boots

• Reader
  • Darwins +94/-0
  • Living the Dream
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2012, 11:32:01 PM »
I cannot speak for athiests as a group as we are all indivduals, but I believe I give religion the correct amount of seriousness, and mocking.

I am furious that our (USA) legal precedent is rife with allowing superstition special privelige under the law.  Obliterating this embarrassment is something that would be on my top 5 lists of "what would you wish for?"

And I believe that anyoen who lives their lives based on superstition of any kind deserves to be mocked, if they choose to hodl those superstitions after honest scrutiny (I don't think indoctrinated children necessarily deserve to be mocked, for example), or if htey choose not to undergo honest scrutiny.
* Religion: institutionalized superstition, period.

"Many of my ultra-conservative Republican friends...have trouble accepting the idea God is not a Republican. " ~OldChurchGuy

"We humans may never figure out the truth, but I prefer trying to find it over pretending we know it."  ~ParkingPlaces