Author Topic: What am I to take from Jesus' fear of death in Matt 26:39?  (Read 2239 times)

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
Re: What am I to take from Jesus' fear of death in Matt 26:39?
« Reply #58 on: February 16, 2012, 03:40:11 PM »
No, I don't hate the Church. I love people. I hate religion. Faith is so much better...!!!!

sorry, ILY but you are part of a religion and practice religion.  Poor Christians, stuck with a word that has such bad connotations and they're the ones responsible for it. 

and alas, you haven't read your bible so you don't know that it has various conflicting ways that people are saved/forgiven.  Picking the right one is rather like Pascal's Wager all over again.
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #59 on: February 16, 2012, 03:56:15 PM »
Why are there all those lists of laws if they aren't really important? And why did god make all those animals, just so he could tell us not to eat them? I thought the whole vastness of the universe was made for us humans.[1] You can eat everything, except for this long list. Hell, if everything was really made for us, we would be able to exist by ingesting grass or sand, and be able to breathe underwater.  &)
 1. What's the deal of god making an entire universe for us and then we can only survive on part of one tiny speck? Is the rest for some other beings bigger and better than us? Are we really just the B-listers? Figures. The more important you think you are, the less important you really are....
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.

Offline fishjie

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +12/-0
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2012, 07:43:41 PM »
Bible scholars correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jesus refer to himself only as the son of man in the original gospels such as Mark and Matthew?    They tacked on the Son of God stuff in John in later revisions right?

So if we take what Jesus said as what actually transpired, it probably means he saw himself as a human (non divine) prophet, and he was shocked that god abandoned him on the cross.

Offline Add Homonym

• Fellow
  • Darwins +219/-4
  • I can haz jeezusburger™
« Reply #61 on: February 18, 2012, 02:19:51 AM »
Bible scholars correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't Jesus refer to himself only as the son of man in the original gospels such as Mark and Matthew?    They tacked on the Son of God stuff in John in later revisions right?

So if we take what Jesus said as what actually transpired, it probably means he saw himself as a human (non divine) prophet, and he was shocked that god abandoned him on the cross.

70% son of Man. 30% SOG.
Humans, in general, don't waste any opportunity to be unfathomably stupid - Dr Cynical.

Offline Astreja

• Fellow
  • Darwins +265/-3
  • Agnostic goddess with Clue-by-Four™
    • The Springy Goddess
« Reply #62 on: February 18, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
Even Hitler "claimed" to be a Christian but  just because someone says it, doesn't mean that it is true.

So why should we believe the ludicrous claims of the Gospels?
Reality Checkroom — Not Responsible for Lost Articles

Offline velkyn

• Laureate
  • Darwins +169/-6
  • You're wearing the juice, aren't you?"
« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2012, 09:43:06 AM »
ILY, I can see that you've been on the forums today.  Questions have been asked of you, so you need to answer them as soon as you can.   
"There is no use in arguing with a man who can multiply anything by the square root of minus 1" - Pirates of Venus, ERB

http://clubschadenfreude.wordpress.com/

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #64 on: February 21, 2012, 03:53:34 PM »
Nope.  Hitler was a christian and if christianity is literally true, Hitler is forgiven of his sins and lounging in a fantasy land called heaven.
And those evil heathen Jews he killed will burn in hell, as they deserve to! Yessir, right there alongside native americans, victims of the inquisition and other enemies of the One True Faith.

Oh, didn't you get the memo? YHWH is just and all-loving!  ;D

Seriously now, how can an all-loving and just god justify sending people to eternal torture just because they happened to be born in the wrong corner of the world, at the wrong time? Or anyone for that matter?  Infinity is a big number. A really really big one. Non-stop torture for a period of time that long, regardless of reason, is moral in what way exactly? Sure, if it were me, I'd send all dictators, murderers, rapists and right-wingers to roast for a while, but after 25 or so years[1] of torturing Hitler I'd have pity and beam him up to heaven. Or just do it from the start, since the buybull says you have no free will in heaven anyway.  &)
 1. Random number, didn't really think it through

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #65 on: February 21, 2012, 05:49:28 PM »
, since the buybull says you have no free will in heaven anyway.  &)

Where does it say that?

Offline Morgan

• Student
  • Darwins +10/-0
  • Every night I wait for my sweet Selene...
« Reply #66 on: February 21, 2012, 07:07:28 PM »
Where does it say that?
Quote from: (Rev. 21:4,27)
The saved, once glorified, will no longer sin throughout eternity
Doesn't sound like you'd have too much of a choice. An existence where you cannot choose to do 'evil' implies free will in what way?

Offline Noman Peopled

• Reader
  • Darwins +24/-1
  • [insert wittycism]
« Reply #67 on: February 22, 2012, 08:37:35 AM »
Ever be beaten to a pulp, speared, and nailed to a cross to suffer an excruciatingly  painful and humiliating slow death...?
No, but we can compare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism
"Deferinate" itself appears to be a new word... though I'm perfectly carmotic with it.
-xphobe

Offline Truth OT

• Reader
  • Darwins +88/-7
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #68 on: February 22, 2012, 11:45:44 AM »
Where does it say that?
Quote from: (Rev. 21:4,27)
The saved, once glorified, will no longer sin throughout eternity
Doesn't sound like you'd have too much of a choice. An existence where you cannot choose to do 'evil' implies free will in what way?

I don't know if I follow you Morgan. The texts you quote don't say that inhabitants of the city (which appears to be on Earth and not in Heaven BTW) won't be able to choose. What it does say is:

3 Then I heard a loud voice from the throne say, 'Look! The Tent of The God is with mankind! He's going to pitch His Tent among them, then they will be His people and He will be their God. 4 He's going to wipe all the tears from their eyes, and there won't be any more death, mourning, wailing, or pain, because what used to be will be gone!'
 ...... 27 However, nothing that's dirty, or anyone who does disgusting things or tells lies will ever enter it… only those [whose names] are written in the Lamb's Scroll of Life.

Based on this text, it would appear that 'evil' will have been wiped from existence entirely.

Offline nogodsforme

• Professor
  • Darwins +849/-6
  • Jehovah's Witness Protection Program
« Reply #69 on: February 22, 2012, 03:44:48 PM »
Ever be beaten to a pulp, speared, and nailed to a cross to suffer an excruciatingly  painful and humiliating slow death...?
No, but we can compare.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Scaphism

People probably kept the spare asp around in case they saw the palace guards approaching. Saves on the honey, not to mention the waste of two good boats. :P

That sh!t makes death by stoning seem downright humane.  At least you die in a few minutes if you get a good head shot. More imaginatively gross tortures way worse than crucifixion below.[1]
 1. Other ancient remedies for misbehavior included wrapping someone in a carpet of maggots and tying it up tight so the person is slowly eaten, and putting the person in a sack full of cats and whacking the sack until the cats clawed the person to death. :o
Extraordinary claims of the bible don't even have ordinary evidence.

Kids aren't paying attention most of the time in science classes so it seems silly to get worked up over ID being taught in schools.