Author Topic: How do Darwins work?  (Read 741 times)

Offline DavidQ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Question authority!
How do Darwins work?
« on: February 15, 2012, 11:34:59 AM »
I've read the tutorials; searched the forums; searched the site with Google, and I find no explanation of how Darwins work.

I have seen the summary of changes, and some explanation of Darwin factors, but nowhere have I found how one affects their own or another person's Darwin (or Karma?) level.

Online One Above All

• Laureate
  • Darwins +264/-33
  • Supreme ruler of the multiverse; All In One
Re: How do Darwins work?
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2012, 11:40:08 AM »
IIRC you need to post a certain number of times to be able to use Darwins.
The truth is absolute. Life forms are specks of specks (...) of specks of dust in the universe.
Why settle for normal, when you can be so much more? Why settle for something, when you can have everything?
We choose our own gods.

A.K.A.: Blaziken_rjcf/Lucifer/All In One.

Offline ParkingPlaces

• Professor
  • Darwins +689/-3
  • Hide and Seek World Champion since 1958!
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2012, 11:45:46 AM »
They don't really work. They just are. Or maybe they're a general indication of something. I don't think any of us are clear on the subject.

Actually, some people like feedback, hence a system built into the forum software is used to allow for such things. It used to be anonymous, which drove lots of people crazy when they couldn't figure out why they were lauded or dissed. Now at least the person giving or taking one has to say a few words and identify themselves.

It's for fun mostly. Don't count on them or give them much credence. I've spent a hour writing some long response to a ditzy theist and gotten nothing one day and then told a fart joke the next day and gotten two Darwins. There is no rhyme nor reason.

Edit:  Looks like I completely misunderstood the question. That gets me in trouble a lot. Hope the others answered it for you.

« Last Edit: February 15, 2012, 12:00:15 PM by ParkingPlaces »
Not everyone is entitled to their opinion. They're all entitled to mine though.

Offline Traveler

• Reader
  • Darwins +142/-2
  • no god required
    • I am a Forum Guide
    • Gryffin Designs
« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2012, 11:56:11 AM »
I believe the magic number is 25 posts. At that time you'll see a little green thumbs up sign and a little red thumbs down sign under people's avatar. You click whichever one you want and a window will pop up asking for your reasoning. Pretty simple. You can always see who's plus'd or minus'd you, so make sure you mean it. ;) Just 14 more posts and you will have the power. lol
If we ever travel thousands of light years to a planet inhabited by intelligent life, let's just make patterns in their crops and leave.

Offline The Gawd

• Postgraduate
  • Darwins +78/-5
  • WWGHA Member
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »
his noodliness bestows them upon us...

Offline DavidQ

• Freshman
  • Darwins +1/-0
  • Question authority!
« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2012, 12:35:39 PM »
I believe the magic number is 25 posts. At that time you'll see a little green thumbs up sign and a little red thumbs down sign under people's avatar.
I have 11 posts (or maybe it happened on the tenth), and suddenly I'm now seeing the thumbs up/down icons.

"Peekaboo" user interfaces stink because they hide the unknowable. (Unlike religion, which claims to reveal the unknowable.) The simplest fix I can think of would be to always show the icons, but if the user had fewer than the criteria number of posts, then the pop-up box would explain the situation instead of asking for their karma reason.

Offline Energized

• Undergraduate
  • Darwins +27/-1
  • Enma Ai is GOD!
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2012, 08:59:28 PM »
Hmmm....

I've wanted to applaud a couple of posts but I don't see the thumbs up / down option anymore.

Has I been downgraded?

E.
'O pitiful shadow lost in the darkness,
Bringing torment and pain to others.
O damned soul wallowing in your sin.
Perhaps it is time to die?'

~Enma Ai, Jigoku Shoujo

Offline HAL

• Professor
  • Darwins +98/-17
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2012, 09:07:16 PM »
I've wanted to applaud a couple of posts but I don't see the thumbs up / down option anymore.

Has I been downgraded?

We recently changed the requirement to 50 posts to prevent new members who weren't familiar with the community from abusing the Darwin system.

Hang in there.